David Astbury, Thank You | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

David Astbury, Thank You

Redford

Tiger Legend
Dec 18, 2002
Tel Aviv
Awesome speech. Amazing. Geez we’ll miss him, his leadership, courage, perseverance. Just a fundamental 100% Richmond man. The epitome.

Reactions: 1 users

leon

Tiger Legend
Apr 6, 2014
Everyone had said it all so well here by the time I got on. But, well-done, Dave, and thanks for your magnificent contribution to arguably the greatest Tigers' era. Always regarded you as Mr. Reliable, the steadying rock that our defence was built on, allowing more adventurous players like Rance and Vlastuin to rebound aggressively. Dave took care of a formidable opponent generally and got across to help others often too.

Dave handled the big gorilla opposition forwards or even leaner, more mobile types. With his strong contested marking, excellent kicking and careful, prudent decision-making at full-back, DTLD was an essential reason for our success. From memory, no opp KPF ever really got on top of Dave to kick a bag in a big final.

Congratulations on your career and one of the best farewell speeches I've seen delivered to any football club today. Always a true RFC man, and although I know Dave will want to get back to Tatyoon and devote more time to his farm, his solid character and ability to be very articulate, makes me think Dave could be a really suitable candidate for a future leadership position at the club - if he's ever interested and able to devote the time.

PS - mistakenly posted this on Retirements thread initially. Apologies.

Reactions: 4 users

Leysy Days

Tiger Legend
Feb 26, 2004
Interestingly looking back on his stats, only played 25 games over 5 years from 2011-15.

Shows the injuries he has overcome.

Redford

Tiger Legend
Dec 18, 2002
Tel Aviv
“When my mates, my coaches, my club… were being asked the most difficult of questions … when the stakes were high in big games…. I really wanted to be in the fight with you …and fight for us.”

Spine tingling stuff.

• Love
Reactions: 5 users

Fighting Fury

Tiger Army
Jul 17, 2003
Champion bloke and triple premiership legend.
Always with that quick look inside, but we all knew where the kick was going...

• Haha
Reactions: 2 users

tigerdell

Hope springs infernal
Mar 29, 2014
One aspect of Dave's footballing achievements that stood out was his care and compassion for an injured opponent.

Multiple times a player would be injured and David would stop and show genuine care.

Only recently in the last month it happened again, he called the trainer and stayed in support until the trainer arrived.

It illustrates his values and his awareness of others. Wonderful
It made me feel so proud as Richmond supporter.

Reactions: 6 users

Tenacious Tiges

I remember when Balmey just thugged them .....
Apr 11, 2003
Thanks for your heart n’ soul Dave. You are the Richmond Man!

LeeToRainesToRoach

Tiger Legend
Jun 4, 2006
Melbourne
Amazing career after the first half was dogged by bad luck. In a select club of 32 triple premiership players who won their first flag in year 8 or later (with Cotchin, Edwards, Grimes, Houli, Martin & Riewoldt). And Dave played fewer games (60) in his first seven years than any of them. As with Grimes (79 in 7 years), player and club were rewarded for their perseverance.

Sad day, deserves a far better send-off than an empty stadium can provide.

Reactions: 8 users

blofield

Tiger Cub
Jul 20, 2005
Thanks for stellar career Dave. Absolute Tiger legend.

Provided the necessary mortar down back. in our triple flag glory years.

Highly respected and loved by those at the club and Tiger fans alike.

Yet probably under appreciated/valued by the outside football world. Media included.

A lot like Merv Keane to a degree.

Enjoy your retirement Dave. You thoroughly deserve it.

Reactions: 6 users

toothless

Tiger Champion
Aug 16, 2009
All class. So glad he stayed at the club after being put out on the trade table to at the time I believe was Brisbane. Will be forever known in history as a triple premiership player. Thanks DTLD for the years of service at Richmond & all the best in your future endeavours.

Birdman19

Plodder
Apr 16, 2009
Thanks Dave. Your farewell speech was heartfelt and inspirational. It demonstrated what the premiership era was about at the RFC. It was about the development of the group and the individual at a sporting, personal and spiritual level. The legacy of the senior group, the coaching group and admin will hopefully continue to breed success. Wishing you all the very best on your new journey. You will forever be the embodiment of a Richmond Man.

Reactions: 8 users

Mr Brightside

Tiger Legend
Jul 1, 2005
Wang
For a 11 years now I have seeked the answer to one of footballs most mysterious questions, what would DTLD do if he gained possession of the ball in the centre of the ground ? Well sadly I think this question will remain unanswered now . Safety first DTLD safety first

• Haha
Reactions: 3 users

Tenacious

Tiger Legend
May 19, 2008
Pretty sure he would have been traded if he didn't fail a medical at Brisbane. He mentioned in his speech he was on the trade table.

Footy is so fickle isn’t it? (Life too - but let’s stick with the important issues for now)
All those “ifs” and woulda/coulda/shoulda’s

Bloody hell - how lucky for us all that Dave didn’t pass that medical

Reactions: 3 users

tigerman

It's Tiger Time
Mar 17, 2003
Still about 3 months until list lodgement, leave Dave on the list until the deadline. I'm hoping Dave might have a change of heart after a few months.

TT33

Yellow & Black Member
Feb 17, 2004
Melbourne
Still about 3 months until list lodgement, leave Dave on the list until the deadline. I'm hoping Dave might have a change of heart after a few months.

I doubt it. In his speech he basically said the he'd known pretty much all that this'd be his last.

percyms

Tiger Champion
Feb 24, 2008
Loved his retirement speech. From the heart. Well done Dave - u will always be a Tiger legend.