Dipper has been railroaded... | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Dipper has been railroaded...

Brodders17

Tiger Legend
Mar 21, 2008
hopper said:
The point is that the word abo is offensive to Indigenous people. It's widely known to be offensive to Indigenous people.

Look, I don't think Dipper is a racist. But he made a very stupid choice in making such a statement, and I acknowledge that Dipper isn't known for intellectual prowess. When you make such a mistake, particularly publicly, you have a price to pay. Dipper needs to take his medicine. He's admitted his mistake and is prepared to do something about undoing the harm. Good on him I say.

Damn shame that some ignorant nimrods around here can't fathom the situation as well as Dipper does. Trying to justify such language is surely at the root of the massive disadvantage that Indigenous Australians face. Fair dinkum - shortening Dipierdomenico as an analogy - some have no idea what this is all about.

I think my only issue is with some sort of suspension. Why stop him doing the wonderful work he does with Auskick? Aren't the kids the ones who miss out there. My guess is that's the AFL's media & marketing mob making sure they appear to be super strong on the issue.

a very sensible post that.

wammo

We're from Tigerland
May 16, 2007
In Dipper's defence, he may have been having a go at irony, although that does seem a bit unlikely.

jb03

Tiger Legend
Jan 28, 2004
Melbourne
hopper said:
The point is that the word abo is offensive to Indigenous people. It's widely known to be offensive to Indigenous people.

Look, I don't think Dipper is a racist. But he made a very stupid choice in making such a statement, and I acknowledge that Dipper isn't known for intellectual prowess. When you make such a mistake, particularly publicly, you have a price to pay. Dipper needs to take his medicine. He's admitted his mistake and is prepared to do something about undoing the harm. Good on him I say.

Damn shame that some ignorant nimrods around here can't fathom the situation as well as Dipper does. Trying to justify such language is surely at the root of the massive disadvantage that Indigenous Australians face. Fair dinkum - shortening Dipierdomenico as an analogy - some have no idea what this is all about.

I think my only issue is with some sort of suspension. Why stop him doing the wonderful work he does with Auskick? Aren't the kids the ones who miss out there. My guess is that's the AFL's media & marketing mob making sure they appear to be super strong on the issue.

Good post H. The term "abo" is clearly not the same as "aussie" or "dipper". If the receiver is offended, then it shouldn't be used. It was best explained to me that using derogatory terms on indigenous australians is akin to being spat on - and no one likes to be spat on.

Tigers of Old said:
Dipper should be banned as it's short for Dipierdomenico.
I'm not surprised that you would make light of racism. It is a pity Cousins wasn't a serial racist instead of a confessed drug user then you would be happy to sign him up for another year.

Shers

Tiger Superstar
Nov 30, 2005
Melbourne
I agree 100% with Hoppers comment.
Although I do see a bit of irony in poor old Dipper copping it, given he would've copped more than 1000 "wog" comments directed at him as a kid.
At least the AFL have let him off reasonably whilst still making a thing of it, which is hopefully a win-win for everyone. (AFL putting down racism, but letting Dipper make good in his "error", given I think he's far from racist.)

TigerForce

Tiger Legend
Apr 26, 2004
jb03 said:
Good post H. The term "abo" is clearly not the same as "aussie" or "dipper". If the receiver is offended, then it shouldn't be used. It was best explained to me that using derogatory terms on indigenous australians is akin to being spat on - and no one likes to be spat on.

Explain it to me jb.

I used to respectably refer to an Aboriginal person as an "abo" until the word 'indigenous' was used more in public. What's the difference between the words? When was it made an official derogatory word when even a blind man can see it's a shortcut of 'aboriginal'?

LeeToRainesToRoach

Tiger Legend
Jun 4, 2006
Melbourne

TigerForce

Tiger Legend
Apr 26, 2004
LeeToRainesToRoach said:

Good find LTRTR. It just clearly shows that this all relates to subjective opinions no matter who or what the person is.

Was this Wanganeen just wanting to...."grab that opportunity" ?

There's many Southern Europeans who accept being called 'wogs' nowadays, especially amongst themselves.

LeeToRainesToRoach

Tiger Legend
Jun 4, 2006
Melbourne
He said he had been trying to say Aboriginal players had more difficulties to overcome than non-indigenous players, which reinforced Wanganeen's achievements.

http://www.smh.com.au/afl/afl-news/dipper-dropped-for-race-remark-20100618-ymvd.html

One offended witness claims to have approached DiPierdomenico after the speech only to be told: "You'll get over it."

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/news/breaking-news/dipierdomenico-sorry-over-racist-gaffe/story-e6frf7jx-1225881516952

Clearly Dipper had no intention to offend, therefore the repercussions are a gross over-reaction. Surely there's real news to report.

TigerForce

Tiger Legend
Apr 26, 2004

marsinvenus

one eyed ferral
May 12, 2007
Surley Dippa has got half a brain, has been around long enough to know better that to say something like
that. You would have to expect the sky to fall in , in this day and age.
I dont agree with the way the world"s changed but you have to adapt if you wanna be in the spotlight.

glorydaysareback

Nice to have our glory days back at the Tigers!
Apr 18, 2004
Melbourne, Victoria
Political correctness gone insane in my opinion. Mal Brown in contrast was totally out line, and what he said was totally offensive.

On Dippers side of things, what if Dipper had been talking about Libba? and said "not bad for a midget", is that derogatory or offesnive. I certainly wouldnt think Libba would think so.

I played footy down in the country at Bairnsdale which has a large aboriginal population. Aborigines call each other Abos, are they racist? or is this just newspapers as always sensationlising everything in our society.

Does anybody know where this comment was made? Was it a personal converstaion with somebody then running to the media?

If so did this same person have the courage to tell Dipper he was offended by the "Abo" comment.

We are all in danger of taking ourselves way too seriosuly and losing our perspective on life and each other.

Are Irish jokes out the window? is every derogartory Pommie comment made in this years Ashes series going to be the subject of the same scrutiny? Of course not.

Oh and one last thing not only were the Aboriginal players we played against amazingly talented, they also gave as good as they got, and could be every bit as racist as the next guy. You know what happened at the end of the game? we shook hands and got together for a beer at the end of the game. An amazingly simple and beautiful Aussie Tradition.

Jul 26, 2004
www.redbubble.com
getbacktoglorydays said:
Political correctness gone insane in my opinion. Mal Brown in contrast was totally out line, and what he said was totally offensive.

On Dippers side of things, what if Dipper had been talking about Libba? and said "not bad for a midget", is that derogatory or offesnive. I certainly wouldnt think Libba would think so.

Agree entirely. Just crazy stuff.
If Dipper meant no offence, which clearly he didn't in this instance, then none should be taken.
Words are just words and it's the context in they are used is what is offensive. Otherwise it's just ridiculous PC and avoids the real issues.

If the media clowns pedalling this over hyped crap were serious about aboriginal issues then they'd dedicate a lot more media space to the bigger issues facing their community than words from a couple of crusty ex-footballers.

Misdirected sensationalism. :p

LeeToRainesToRoach said:

Agree again. This is an ongoing media beat up on the back of the Andrew Johns saga.
Media driven crapola.

jb03 said:
I'm not surprised that you would make light of racism. It is a pity Cousins wasn't a serial racist instead of a confessed drug user then you would be happy to sign him up for another year.

Cuz is another example. His name is Cousins.

Al Bundy

Premiers 2017, 2019, 2020 ...2021?
Aug 27, 2003
Melbourne
getbacktoglorydays said:
Does anybody know where this comment was made? Was it a personal converstaion with somebody then running to the media?

If so did this same person have the courage to tell Dipper he was offended by the "Abo" comment.

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/news/breaking-news/dipierdomenico-sorry-over-racist-gaffe/story-e6frf7jx-1225881516952

The Adelaide Advertiser yesterday learned of the gaffe, which was made in front of crowd that included children.

One offended witness claims to have approached DiPierdomenico after the speech only to be told: "You'll get over it."

IanG

Tiger Legend
Sep 27, 2004
Melbourne
TigerForce said:
Good find LTRTR. It just clearly shows that this all relates to subjective opinions no matter who or what the person is.

Of course it is, the whole racial code in the AFL is predicated on the fact that if a person feels like they have been racially abused then they have. Who are you to tell someone when they've been racially abused? As for the fact that you may have called someone an abo once, how long ago was it and was it someone you knew? Context matters.

TigerForce said:
There's many Southern Europeans who accept being called 'wogs' nowadays, especially amongst themselves.

Yes and black americans call themselves nigger but you try calling one of them that.

theScabman

In Hodge we trust.
Apr 11, 2007
St Kilda, Victoria
hopper said:

Great post.

It seems we're still lagging as a country with understanding when a large majority think this is just PC going overboard, or that it's as simple as an abbreviation.

I have spent a large part of my life involved with Indigenous people and their families and if I ever used the word 'Abo' to describe any single one of them I would've been forced to explain myself very quickly.

The other point is those who say they have mates who are Aboriginal who don't see the harm in it, I'd be very surprised if they were in touch with their own culture.

hopper

Vile weed!
Jul 28, 2004
Darwin
Tigers of Old said:
If Dipper meant no offence, which clearly he didn't in this instance, then none should be taken.
Words are just words and it's the context in they are used is what is offensive. Otherwise it's just ridiculous PC and avoids the real issues.
Reckon we need a rival for the Goldposts thread - perhaps "Moldposts"! Because this is about the dumbest thing I've ever read on PRE, Oldie.

Perhaps it would be ok if he didn't MEAN to offend but said "not bad for a m...f.... nigger" ? - as long as he didn't MEAN to offend.

Your ignorance is quite startling, and disappointing. If it wasn't so sad that you/others use your anti-PC rants to cover your prejudices, there'd be an element of humour in it. As much as you'd like to think it was, this is not about "political correctness" - it's about accepting that nobody has the right to offend another on the basis of race.

Rosy

Tiger Legend
Mar 27, 2003
hopper said:
As much as you'd like to think it was, this is not about "political correctness" - it's about accepting that nobody has the right to offend another on the basis of race.

Why the need to offend others at all? If everyone respected fellow human beings while acknowledging the different races and cultures the world would be a better place. I don't see a massive difference in referring to those who express opinions you don't agree with as "ignorant nimrods". There is simply no need for name calling and personal insults to get a viewpoint across regardless of race, size, eye colour, religion or addiction to Lindt chocolate.

hopper

Vile weed!
Jul 28, 2004
Darwin
rosy23 said:
Why the need to offend others at all? If everyone respected fellow human beings while acknowledging the different races and cultures the world would be a better place. I don't see a massive difference in referring to those who express opinions you don't agree with as "ignorant nimrods". There is simply no need for name calling and personal insults to get a viewpoint across regardless of race, size, eye colour, religion or addiction to Lindt chocolate.
You'll never find me backing away from a fight on this issue, Rosy. Sometimes it takes fighting fire with fire. I contend whole-heartedly that not nearly enough of us white Aussies stand up and say that we strongly oppose this destructive attitude and those that peddle it.

At least the judgement of "ignorant nimrod" is based on actions and statements and not on the colour of skin. At least the judgement is based on both a combination of a research, theoretical, historical, practical and contemporary experience of the issue as it plays out. It certainly seems to me that those who would oppose my views are ok with Aboriginal people "giving as good as they get" ... providing they agree with them of course. God forbid, there were examples of them calling people racist at their remarks. Oh, that's right ... there are. But they're just being PC and wrecking their world.

Jul 26, 2004
www.redbubble.com
hopper said:
Your ignorance is quite startling, and disappointing. If it wasn't so sad that you/others use your anti-PC rants to cover your prejudices, there'd be an element of humour in it. As much as you'd like to think it was, this is not about "political correctness" - it's about accepting that nobody has the right to offend another on the basis of race.

I have no prejudice towards Aboriginals whatsoever so get back in your box and stop making emotional assumptions about others. :mad: