Why are Indians being attacked in Melbourne & Sydney? | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Why are Indians being attacked in Melbourne & Sydney?

RemoteTiger

Woof!
Jul 29, 2004
Is there a racial undercurrent against people from the sub-continent?

If so, why?

What have they done to deserve this?

or

Is it just a fad to bash a punjabi?

Panthera tigris FC

Full Blown Chimp Crush
Oct 28, 2004
Torquay
RemoteTiger said:
Is there a racial undercurrent against people from the sub-continent?

If so, why?

What have they done to deserve this?

or

Is it just a fad to bash a punjabi?

I don't know if it is race-specific. Perhaps in a generic sense (ie. any 'different' race). To me it seems to be more a culture of carrying weapons (esp. knives) that has changed over the past decade or so. Yes, an Indian was brutally murdered, but there have been countless examples of others being knived, macheted, etc. over the past few years.

New powers for police have been brought out to permit searches of individuals for knives without cause. The police can only do this in limited area and only after prior advertisement of that area.

Rosy

Tiger Legend
Mar 27, 2003
I wasn't aware it's been happening in Sydney Remote but have certainly been wondering why it's happening in Melbourne. Instead of the pollies trying to convince Indians that Australia is safe for them they should be thoroughly investigating if they are being targeted in some way. It certainly appears that way to me.

I don't know the facts Panthera but an internet search backed up my perception that Indian people have been singled out for some very violent treatment in the last year or two. If it is a trend it's a very disturbing, and sickening, one.

pahoffm

No one player is bigger than the club.
Mar 24, 2004
Coincidentally, I am reading Gronick's Cartoon History of the Universe over the holidays.
It runs over 3 tomes, a total of 19 or so volumes, beginning with the Big Bang through to the Renaissance.

I have just completed the volume on Indian history. Fascinating!
Indian history goes back almost as far as Middle Eastern history.
India, over 1,000s of years is divided into many religions and into many many sects.
The major religions are Hinduism, Buddhism & Islam, although there are many more branches of these.
The divisions over its various religions, sects & castes, & gender make for fascinating reading.
Although the Gandhi-like non-violent India may be our image of India, its real history is one of immense conflict and suffering.

This is not meant to be an explanation or an excuse for the current violence involving Indians in Melbourne & Sydney, but it does Gronick's volumes make for fascinating reading.

Tiger74

In deedily doodily neighbourino!
Jul 2, 2004
Melbourne
I wonder if attitudes to safety are an issue too.

A lot of the assaults from what I have heard have been from people travelling on trains late at night or walking through parks and unlit areas.

Back in the day I used to ride the late Frankston line trains and walk around between 11pm-4am, I remember you were always alert. Never showed off your wallet, phone, or walkman on the train. Never walked on the unlit side of the road, and definitely never walked through parks.

Knowing a lot of Chinese students who come here (and seem to be getting far fewer assaults), they have a similar attitude given the safety issues in some Chinese cities.

Just wondering if some education is needed for the incoming students, making them aware there are risks you need to manage.

TigerForce

Tiger Legend
Apr 26, 2004
Panthera tigris FC said:
I don't know if it is race-specific. Perhaps in a generic sense (ie. any 'different' race). To me it seems to be more a culture of carrying weapons (esp. knives) that has changed over the past decade or so.

I agree that it's mostly to do with culture, and mostly from Gen Y morons who have nothing better to do these days than hoon on the roads, assault people on trains and bash / kill people regularly. Have a night out every Saturday in the city and you get a closer look at how alcohol and drugs flow freely.

Dumby will never fix this coz he's still living in fantasy on how great he looks on the news everyday.

Rosy

Tiger Legend
Mar 27, 2003
Tiger74 said:
I wonder if attitudes to safety are an issue too.

A lot of the assaults from what I have heard have been from people travelling on trains late at night or walking through parks and unlit areas.

Just wondering if some education is needed for the incoming students, making them aware there are risks you need to manage.

Yep I reckon that kind of education should be compulsory, if not formally then at least in information kits for those coming to Australia.

There have also been attacks in houses, people being told to go home when attacked, and Indian taxi driver attacks. They aren't all a result of ignorance in regard to personal safety.

TigerForce said:
I agree that it's mostly to do with culture, and mostly from Gen Y morons who have nothing better to do these days than hoon on the roads, assault people on trains and bash / kill people regularly. Have a night out every Saturday in the city and you get a closer look at how alcohol and drugs flow freely.

No arguments there but that doesn't address the fact that a high proportion of the attacks are on Indians. I read in The Age that last year attacks in the western suburbs increased by 27% and police estimated a third were of Indian appearance. That's a high percentage considering they'd be a small percentage of the overall population there and would warrant a thorough investigation into racism being a factor.

TigerForce

Tiger Legend
Apr 26, 2004
rosy23 said:
No arguments there but that doesn't address the fact that a high proportion of the attacks are on Indians. I read in The Age that last year attacks in the western suburbs increased by 27% and police estimated a third were of Indian appearance. That's a high percentage considering they'd be a small percentage of the overall population there and would warrant a thorough investigation into racism being a factor.

It happens mostly in the western suburbs but a lot of it in the city itself where police and video cameras are present.

These idiots simply have no guilty conscience or are terribly naive (just like that hoon who did burnouts in front of a cop station last week, and others who gain their licence and then get booked for speeding within days)

I always put this blame on many factors such as: weak parents, violence in movies & video games, gangsta rap (that most Gen Ys listen to) and weak school teachers.

Speaking of the generation, are what AFL and NRL players currently do in public some sort of example of this bad behaviour?

TigerFurious

Smooth
Dec 17, 2002
There is probably a racial element to the attacks but I think it's overstated. The people committing these crimes are opportunistic predators who prey on the weak. The vast majority Indians come here to work or study. They are non-aggressive, travel on public transport, often alone and late at night and many of the Indian students live in less safe suburbs where accommodation is cheap and crime is high. In short, they are soft targets.

TigerForce

Tiger Legend
Apr 26, 2004
TigerFurious said:
There is probably a racial element to the attacks but I think it's overstated. The people committing these crimes are opportunistic predators who prey on the weak. The vast majority Indians come here to work or study. They are non-aggressive, travel on public transport, often alone and late at night and many of the Indian students live in less safe suburbs where accommodation is cheap and crime is high. In short, they are soft targets.

Opportunistic is the word.

Merveille

Tiger Champion
Apr 1, 2007
TigerFurious said:

That is one of the more sensible comments I have heard or read anywhere on this topic. 'Opportunistic predators', I like that description, and the Indians are everywhere on the public transport system.

ssstone

the mongrel plumber,and the heir apparent
Aug 11, 2006
ararat
oz had about 250 homicides last year? COMPARE india had about 3000; of which 800 were dowry related...900 out of about 3000 were of european descent... mmmmmm makes ya wonder dont it?TYPICAL MEDIA HYSTERIA

Tiger74

In deedily doodily neighbourino!
Jul 2, 2004
Melbourne
ssstone said:
oz had about 250 homicides last year? COMPARE india had about 3000; of which 800 were dowry related...900 out of about 3000 were of european descent... mmmmmm makes ya wonder dont it?TYPICAL MEDIA HYSTERIA

if you are going to quote the article, try to get the numbers right:

2007 INDIA AUSTRALIA
Murders 32,318 255
Manslaughter 3644 28
Dowry Deaths 8093 0
Attempted Murder 27401 246

http://www.theage.com.au/opinion/society-and-culture/indian-tvs-unsound-fury-20100106-lu8y.html

Per Capita (2007 India had 1.132b Australia 21m)

2007 INDIA AUSTRALIA
Murders 28.5 per million 12.1 per million
Manslaughter 3.2 per million 1.3 per million
Dowry Deaths 7.1 per million 0
Attempted Murder 24.2 per million 11.7 per million

ssstone

the mongrel plumber,and the heir apparent
Aug 11, 2006
ararat
Tiger74 said:
if you are going to quote the article, try to get the numbers right:

2007 INDIA AUSTRALIA
Murders 32,318 255
Manslaughter 3644 28
Dowry Deaths 8093 0
Attempted Murder 27401 246

http://www.theage.com.au/opinion/society-and-culture/indian-tvs-unsound-fury-20100106-lu8y.html

Per Capita (2007 India had 1.132b Australia 21m)

2007 INDIA AUSTRALIA
Murders 28.5 per million 12.1 per million
Manslaughter 3.2 per million 1.3 per million
Dowry Deaths 7.1 per million 0
Attempted Murder 24.2 per million 11.7 per million
what article was i quoting? but thanks for the figures which really sum it up..........lol what article :rofl

LeeToRainesToRoach

Tiger Legend
Jun 4, 2006
Melbourne
TigerFurious said:
There is probably a racial element to the attacks but I think it's overstated.

Whatever the truth, it's a big issue in India. Played cricket with a couple of young Indian students last season - good-natured lads from a well-connected family - who were ordered home by their father in June because Melbourne was perceived as unsafe.

TigerFurious

Smooth
Dec 17, 2002
LeeToRainesToRoach said:
Whatever the truth, it's a big issue in India. Played cricket with a couple of young Indian students last season - good-natured lads from a well-connected family - who were ordered home by their father in June because Melbourne was perceived as unsafe.

Perception is reality i guess.

Harry

Tiger Legend
Mar 2, 2003
It's the softo police who are to blame. Young punks can do what they want and they know it.

Rosy

Tiger Legend
Mar 27, 2003
Harry said:
It's the softo police who are to blame. Young punks can do what they want and they know it.

I don't think the justice system is as much of a deterrent as it could be but the police have rules and regulations they have to abide by. Can you elaborate on how the police are soft and how they're to blame please Harry?

Harry

Tiger Legend
Mar 2, 2003
rosy23 said:
I don't think the justice system is as much of a deterrent as it could be but the police have rules and regulations they have to abide by. Can you elaborate on how the police are soft and how they're to blame please Harry?

ok, then it's the softo justice system.

Police should have the authority to clear out young punks hanging out at train stations. They should have batons and be allowed to use them.

poppa x

Tiger Legend
May 28, 2004
Mt Waverley
Can anyone answer these questions?

What % of total Melbourne's murder victims are Indian?
What % of total Melbourne's assault victims are Indian?
What % of Mebourne's population is Indian?
- compare all 3 answers -
And what is the nationality by (country of birth) of people accused of mudering and assaulting Indians?

The answers should establish if there's a racial motive, and determine what action we should take.