Draft prospects 2019 | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Draft prospects 2019

mrposhman

Tiger Legend
Oct 6, 2013
If Melbourne or Carlton bid on henry (which I suspect one of them will) would you do the below deal, seems to be a fair deal.

Freo give up Pick's 10, 22 and 58 and gets back Pick 19, our 1st next year and Pick 41. This only works if he gets bid on within the top 10.

I can't see how Freo won't have some plans in place, as it stands as they'd want to protect that Pick 10 (as GWS have with their Green bid) but I don't think they will trade until draft night, as if a bid doesn't come until Pick 12, their Picks 22 and 58 cover that off.

Also, GWS need to trade into this draft, they have a massive hole in points for Green, so looks like they will take a massive discount into next year. As they've traded away their 1st I wonder if it pushes that down (and screws Adelaide and not them). I don't know how they trade in though as they've traded out their 1st next year and they can't trade the other picks because of that.

Ie. Sydney bid on Green at 5, GWS need 1502 points to match after the 20% discount. They currently hold Picks 40, 59, and 60 that have points values and the cumulative points amount to 733 points still leaving them 769 points behind. The rules states it comes off your pick in the same round which they've traded to Adelaide, if it comes off their 1st pick then Adelaide drop from about Pick 17 to about 54. If its off GWS 1st pick then they will give up their 2nd (and possibly 3rd).

Reactions: 1 user

TigerPort

Tiger Champion
Jun 29, 2006
NSW
Any deficit point carry over GWS may have will not come off the pick traded to Adelaide. It will come off other picks GWS hold in 2020

footballmonk

Tiger Matchwinner
Oct 7, 2008
If Melbourne or Carlton bid on henry (which I suspect one of them will) would you do the below deal, seems to be a fair deal.

Freo give up Pick's 10, 22 and 58 and gets back Pick 19, our 1st next year and Pick 41. This only works if he gets bid on within the top 10.

I can't see how Freo won't have some plans in place, as it stands as they'd want to protect that Pick 10 (as GWS have with their Green bid) but I don't think they will trade until draft night, as if a bid doesn't come until Pick 12, their Picks 22 and 58 cover that off.

Also, GWS need to trade into this draft, they have a massive hole in points for Green, so looks like they will take a massive discount into next year. As they've traded away their 1st I wonder if it pushes that down (and screws Adelaide and not them). I don't know how they trade in though as they've traded out their 1st next year and they can't trade the other picks because of that.

Ie. Sydney bid on Green at 5, GWS need 1502 points to match after the 20% discount. They currently hold Picks 40, 59, and 60 that have points values and the cumulative points amount to 733 points still leaving them 769 points behind. The rules states it comes off your pick in the same round which they've traded to Adelaide, if it comes off their 1st pick then Adelaide drop from about Pick 17 to about 54. If its off GWS 1st pick then they will give up their 2nd (and possibly 3rd).
I would do that trade if it meant we could get McAsey. However, I reckon they’re more likely to trade with Geelong (10 & 22 for 14 & 17) as that would allow them to get the full discount on Henry and move the other pick forward a little. Geelong are keen to get into the top 10 (probably for McAsey) and Freo have apparently been talking to Jeremy Sharp, who would be a reach at 10, but would fit the late teens/early 20’s.

On GWS, there’s an article that’s just gone up on the AFL site, which basically says the deficit will swallow up their 2nd next year and maybe move their 3rd back too. Doubt GWS will care though as they’ll get 2 two top five this year and will probably trade back into the front half of next year’s draft when they let a few highly rated kids (eg Hateley) go.

Gazmatron

Tiger Matchwinner
Jun 23, 2013
Doesn’t win enough of his own footy.
Scoop clearly superior knowledge in this area. My thoughts given that only one of the 2018 draftees (exclude Stack and Pickett) have made appearances with limited appearances from several of the talented 2017 group. I would have thought there was little if any expectation that any of the 2019 group would play in the 1s next year. If this is correct surele the view has to be who are the more likely to have top development say in 21/22? Who do you see in that group?

footballmonk

Tiger Matchwinner
Oct 7, 2008
Freo have now swapped picks with Melbourne (10 for 8) so we won’t be getting our hands on that. This and the Adelaide-GWS swaps are bad news as they effectively move us two spots down the draft.

mrposhman

Tiger Legend
Oct 6, 2013
Freo don't need to trade now, just traded with Adelaide and Melbourne. They are sorted now for Henry. 2 top 10 picks and Henry is a very good result for them at draft night.

Rfc4Ever

Tiger Legend
Oct 5, 2007
This will be a fascinating draft with the clubs all seemingly into the live trading mindset.

Some clubs hinging their bets by trading early could really come back to bite them.

I really want to see either Gold Coast or Melbourne bid on Green. Would really stick it up GWS.

What is the worse that could happen? GWS declines to match and Dees or GC get one of the best 3 mids in the draft?

At least GWS only get 1 of the top players instead of 2 in the draft.

Makes sense for the Dees who have a mid 1st round pick also - 1 extra player will be available to them.

Scoop

Tiger Legend
Dec 8, 2004
Clubs are getting smarter, goods deals the last few days.

Brilliant by Freo. Melbourne trying to build depth.

Luke Jackson at 3, book it in.

turk-d-tiger

Welcome to Richmond Football Club - Daniel Rioli
Dec 1, 2007
melbourne
Clubs are getting smarter, goods deals the last few days.

Brilliant by Freo. Melbourne trying to build depth.

Luke Jackson at 3, book it in.

My top 10 to be selected atm

1. Rowell
2. Anderson
3. Young
4. Jackson
5. Green
6. Ash
7. Stephens
8. Flanders
9. Robertson
10. Henry

Nice Haul for Freo
8. Flanders
9. Robertson
10. Henry

Scoop

Tiger Legend
Dec 8, 2004
For some crazy reason that makes zero sense Hayden Young might get past pick 7. Same with Serong. After being top 5 all year, he might get past 10.

After three its anyone's guess. I've seen Flanders at 4,8, 12 and even 18.

Scoop

Tiger Legend
Dec 8, 2004
More I look at Dylan Stephens data, the more convinced I am he will be an absolute star.

Reactions: 2 users

TigerPort

Tiger Champion
Jun 29, 2006
NSW
More I look at Dylan Stephens data, the more convinced I am he will be an absolute star.

Yes but how to get Carlton's #9?

Next year's first and pick 38?? Would they go for that? Geelong probably comes up with a better deal.

We can then pick up Dylan and Cooper. Midfield would be pretty much set, with these two added to Graham Ross and RCD, for the next 10 years

Smoking Aces

Batten Down The Hatches
Sep 21, 2007
Spot on Scoop.

For me the biggest thing I look for is if they have had an senior exposure. And if so how they have played?

Stephens averaged 19 disposals in 13 senior games for Norwood, and piled up 26 touches in the reserves Grand Final.

Sydney or Adelaide would be mad to pass on him with their first pick.

Reactions: 2 users

eZyT

Tiger Legend
Jun 28, 2019
Spot on Scoop.

For me the biggest thing I look for is if they have had an senior exposure. And if so how they have played?

Stephens averaged 19 disposals in 13 senior games for Norwood, and piled up 26 touches in the reserves Grand Final.

Sydney or Adelaide would be mad to pass on him with their first pick.

I reckon I'd take him at 1

D85

///
Nov 22, 2004
coburg
Bianco's lack of inside game is massively overblown. Has shown that he can and does win contested ball when put in the middle, definitely has a chance of being a Houli style replacement if selected. Very damaging player, bit on the smaller side though

tigerlove

Tiger Legend
Aug 9, 2014
Bianco's lack of inside game is massively overblown. Has shown that he can and does win contested ball when put in the middle, definitely has a chance of being a Houli style replacement if selected. Very damaging player, bit on the smaller side though

Prestia and Lambert are perfect examples showing you don't have to be a tall midfielder to be a star. Higgins also only 177cm.

Smoking Aces

Batten Down The Hatches
Sep 21, 2007
According to Cal Twomey we are right into Jay Rantall.

Bolting into first round calculation.

Reactions: 1 users