Draft prospects 2019 | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Draft prospects 2019

tigerdell

Hope springs infernal
Mar 29, 2014
Yuck. Far too high. At 10 there will still be someone that shouldn’t.
Taking Pickett ahead of Dylan Stephens, Lach Ash, maybe Hayden Young, Caleb Serong is crazy.
by accounts for Melbourne its either Weightman or Pickett. picking for needs not talent, and a need for immediate impact.
it's good for us

Smoking Aces

Batten Down The Hatches
Sep 21, 2007
PICK 22: RICHMOND – COOPER STEPHENS
Clubs: Geelong Falcons/Vic Country
Position: Inside Midfielder
Size: 188cm, 83kg
Bio: All the time we see players who suffer season ending injuries in their draft year, bounce back to show the doubters wrong upon reaching AFL. And Cooper Stephens might just be that. A broken leg ended his season after just three NAB League appearances for the Geelong Falcons, meaning he wouldn’t take part in the Under 18 Championships. But the midfielder showed his wares when he did play, averaging 26 disposals and 4.0 clearances, as well as running at more than 60 per cent contested possession percentage to start the year. He testing at the draft combine was very impressive, showing off his strong endurance base.
In the mix: Stephens has long been linked to the Tigers, while Hugo Ralphsmith and Jay Rantall are others who have been floated. Without a pressing need, Richmond seem likely to take the best available. Richmond is among those clubs attempting to flick their 2020 first round selection into the top 25 of this years draft.

Reactions: 1 user

turk-d-tiger

Welcome to Richmond Football Club - Daniel Rioli
Dec 1, 2007
melbourne
PICK 22: RICHMOND – COOPER STEPHENS
Clubs: Geelong Falcons/Vic Country
Position: Inside Midfielder
Size: 188cm, 83kg
Bio: All the time we see players who suffer season ending injuries in their draft year, bounce back to show the doubters wrong upon reaching AFL. And Cooper Stephens might just be that. A broken leg ended his season after just three NAB League appearances for the Geelong Falcons, meaning he wouldn’t take part in the Under 18 Championships. But the midfielder showed his wares when he did play, averaging 26 disposals and 4.0 clearances, as well as running at more than 60 per cent contested possession percentage to start the year. He testing at the draft combine was very impressive, showing off his strong endurance base.
In the mix: Stephens has long been linked to the Tigers, while Hugo Ralphsmith and Jay Rantall are others who have been floated. Without a pressing need, Richmond seem likely to take the best available. Richmond is among those clubs attempting to flick their 2020 first round selection into the top 25 of this years draft.

Matt is a good judge of junior football and i rate his opinion , We have not always agreed on Certain types but he does know his job
pretty good mock

tigerdell

Hope springs infernal
Mar 29, 2014
i like this thinking. hope we get it
"Richmond is among those clubs attempting to flick their 2020 first round selection into the top 25 of this years draft."

tigerdell

Hope springs infernal
Mar 29, 2014
another option would be the doggies pick 13. If we could trade it with our 19 then it opens up a chance to get McAsey.
Dogs would still get Pickett or Weightman
Would the doggies consider the swap, and a 2020 swap between our 1st and their 2nd (say 18 for 30)
so Richmond = 13 (2019) and 30 (2020)
Dogs = 19 (2019) and 18 (2020)

turk-d-tiger

Dec 1, 2007
melbourne
Richmond 'people' have visited the delahunty home today according to a mate of his

Tigertool

Tiger Legend
Mar 10, 2008
another option would be the doggies pick 13. If we could trade it with our 19 then it opens up a chance to get McAsey.
Dogs would still get Pickett or Weightman
Would the doggies consider the swap, and a 2020 swap between our 1st and their 2nd (say 18 for 30)
so Richmond = 13 (2019) and 30 (2020)
Dogs = 19 (2019) and 18 (2020)
I think it’s more likely that we’d like a second top 25 pick rather than the trade up.

tigerdell

Hope springs infernal
Mar 29, 2014
Delahunty - we know that the Giants will not have the points to cover a bid so is now gettable.
Great speed.

tigerdell

Hope springs infernal
Mar 29, 2014
I think it’s more likely that we’d like a second top 25 pick rather than the trade up.
agree, and the more I think about it the more I like it. I woukd be hoping for Stephens and Philp, which builds a deep future midfield. speed and size and bwa

footballmonk

Tiger Matchwinner
Oct 7, 2008
Richmond 'people' have visited the delahunty home today according to a mate of his
Good to hear. He seems a likely type for our picks in the 40’s with plenty of characteristics that you can’t teach (speed, athleticism, kicking) and deficiencies that you can (tackling). Presumably with GWS likely to be racking up a deficit of 700-odd points on Green, they’re not allowed to match and just up the 2020 deficit a bit more?

zippadeee

Tiger Legend
Oct 8, 2004
Don't worry about the top 20.
Who are the ones that will go between 40-70??
Thats where we go fishing..

Reactions: 1 users

Scoop

Tiger Legend
Dec 8, 2004
Good grief, how is Hayden Young going to last till pick 10?

Hawthorn at 11 are going to get one of Young or Stephens. Incredible.

by accounts for Melbourne its either Weightman or Pickett. picking for needs not talent, and a need for immediate impact.
it's good for us

Pickett has skyrocketed off the back of a cli[p ten days ago of him pole axing someone. Cyril Rioli was a once in a generation talent and Pickett is anywhere near that talent. He is a very fine prospect who is an icing on the cake for a side ready to compete for a top four spot. Melbourne need pace and kicking through the midfield. If they got Jackson and one of Young/Stephens it's an outstanding draft and a huge platform. Taking a Pickett type this early would show me they don't understand the list at all.

turk-d-tiger

Dec 1, 2007
melbourne
Delahunty - we know that the Giants will not have the points to cover a bid so is now gettable.
Great speed.
He looked to be the player that was out of play as he would have been pretty much a free match with a pick past the 40's but now that GWS cannot match if a bid comes that has more the 200 points attached to it after the discount the clubs are now seeing him as a player thats back in play

but his athleticism and size 194cm 85kgs is very tempting specially 2.93 20mtr speed
'Grimes' replacement in 3 years one would believe

Last edited:

King Kong

Tiger Legend
Aug 26, 2016
He looked to be the player that was out of play as he would have been pretty much a free match with a pick past the 40's but now that GWS cannot match if a bid comes that has more the 200 points attached to it after the discount the clubs are now seeing him as a player thats back in play

It would have to be 1 of our 3 picks in the 40's but his athleticism and size 194cm 85kgs is very tempting specially 2.93 20mtr speed
'Grimes' replacement in 3 years one would believe

You sure we need to use a pick in the 40's? GWS will have a significant points deficit after the Green bid, so not sure they can match any pick with points?

King Kong

Tiger Legend
Aug 26, 2016
Good grief, how is Hayden Young going to last till pick 10?

Hawthorn at 11 are going to get one of Young or Stephens. Incredible.

Pickett has skyrocketed off the back of a cli[p ten days ago of him pole axing someone. Cyril Rioli was a once in a generation talent and Pickett is anywhere near that talent. He is a very fine prospect who is an icing on the cake for a side ready to compete for a top four spot. Melbourne need pace and kicking through the midfield. If they got Jackson and one of Young/Stephens it's an outstanding draft and a huge platform. Taking a Pickett type this early would show me they don't understand the list at all.

Pickett is a gun. Will go to the Dogs if Melbourne bypass him which they won't. Melbourne saw him first hand cut their Casey team up in an Academy game earlier on in the season.

Not dissimilar to Bolton in that he can be inconsistent but has a habit of playing better the bigger the game is

mrposhman

Tiger Legend
Oct 6, 2013
You sure we need to use a pick in the 40's? GWS will have a significant points deficit after the Green bid, so not sure they can match any pick with points?

In think once you go past the 197 point deduction then you can just use your last pick. They will still have picks, but they will all be at the backend of the draft. So I think if the order is before Pick 56 then GWS cannot match, otherwise they can.

Scoop

Tiger Legend
Dec 8, 2004
Pickett is a gun. Will go to the Dogs if Melbourne bypass him which they won't. Melbourne saw him first hand cut their Casey team up in an Academy game earlier on in the season.

Not dissimilar to Bolton in that he can be inconsistent but has a habit of playing better the bigger the game is

The Dogs make much sense, they are young, made finals have the framework in place for success.

But Melbourne, they made one prelim. They have holes. Build the list before getting the icing on the cake types.

Tigertool

Tiger Legend
Mar 10, 2008
The Dogs make much sense, they are young, made finals have the framework in place for success.

But Melbourne, they made one prelim. They have holes. Build the list before getting the icing on the cake types.

I think the dees were 18th for forward half turnovers this year. I don’t think they see him as icing on the cake, but more a critical deficiency they need to address.

turk-d-tiger

Dec 1, 2007
melbourne
sorry that should have been #55 + are an automatic match as the fall under 200 points which is the discount