Draft prospects 2019 | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Draft prospects 2019

Don’t Argue

Tiger Superstar
Jun 22, 2019
Good grief, how is Hayden Young going to last till pick 10?

Hawthorn at 11 are going to get one of Young or Stephens. Incredible.

Pickett has skyrocketed off the back of a cli[p ten days ago of him pole axing someone. Cyril Rioli was a once in a generation talent and Pickett is anywhere near that talent. He is a very fine prospect who is an icing on the cake for a side ready to compete for a top four spot. Melbourne need pace and kicking through the midfield. If they got Jackson and one of Young/Stephens it's an outstanding draft and a huge platform. Taking a Pickett type this early would show me they don't understand the list at all.

Hindsight is a beautiful thing but Cyril was far from a once in a generation player in his 2007 draft year.. Hence why so many went before him. Albeit some huge talents like Cotchin and Dangerfield but others like Masten, Morton,Myers, Palmer and Veszpremi illustrates that Cyril was far from a standout at the time and went pick 12.

Reactions: 1 users

Scoop

Tiger Legend
Dec 8, 2004
Hindsight is a beautiful thing but Cyril was far from a once in a generation player in his 2007 draft year.. Hence why so many went before him. Albeit some huge talents like Cotchin and Dangerfield but others like Masten, Morton,Myers, Palmer and Veszpremi illustrates that Cyril was far from a standout at the time and went pick 12.

Someone put together a list of how the ten best small forwards in the game in 2019 got on lists. I can't think of a top 10 pick.

Eddie Bets - rookie
Charlie Cameron - rookie
Tom Papley- Rookie
Daniel Rioli - 15
Luke Breust - Rookie
Jade Gresham- 18
Tippa - Rookie
Willy Rioli- 52

The evidence doesn't support taking Pickett this early. Build the midfield first, the rest will take care of itself. Melbourne would be mad to overlook outside run and kicking. If you must go small forward, I'd take Serong over Pickett any day of the week. Beware the bolter once the final game has been played.

Reactions: 2 users

Brodders17

Tiger Legend
Mar 21, 2008
Someone put together a list of how the ten best small forwards in the game in 2019 got on lists. I can't think of a top 10 pick.

Eddie Bets - rookie
Charlie Cameron - rookie
Tom Papley- Rookie
Daniel Rioli - 15
Luke Breust - Rookie
Jade Gresham- 18
Tippa - Rookie
Willy Rioli- 52

The evidence doesn't support taking Pickett this early. Build the midfield first, the rest will take care of itself. Melbourne would be mad to overlook outside run and kicking. If you must go small forward, I'd take Serong over Pickett any day of the week. Beware the bolter once the final game has been played.
Sorry, not sure of the value of any list which doesn't include the No. 1 small forward in the game. Though he was a rookie so probably backs up the argument.

caesar

Tiger Legend
Feb 9, 2015
Matt Balmer saying Richmond trying to bundle up their 2020 1st round pick to get inside 25 this year.

Problem is pick 19 next year will become about pick 30 plus with all highly touted academy and F/S picks so hard to find buyers.

PS: If not for the AFL we would of had that extra inside 25 pick :mad:

• Angry
Reactions: 3 users

Tigertool

Tiger Legend
Mar 10, 2008
Cal Twomey has us taking Cooper Stephens in his official Phantom draft.

I’m happy with this. Him or Kemp would be who I’d like most.

Reactions: 1 user

Smoking Aces

Batten Down The Hatches
Sep 21, 2007
Cal Twomey has us taking Cooper Stephens in his official Phantom draft.

I’m happy with this. Him or Kemp would be who I’d like most.
I would be very happy with Stephens.

For some reason recruiters fall into the trap of remembering the last 6 months of a players performance and tend to forget what they have achieved in under 16’s and 17’s. Classic example was Jack Darling.

RICHMOND
Picks: 19, 38, 39, 41, 56 (likely to use five selections)
Rivals see Richmond's pick No.19 as gettable for the right price, so it will be interesting to see if other clubs push for it on draft night. The Tigers have an interest in Hugo Ralphsmith if he's available at their second-round selections, while Flynn Perez is also likely to come into their considerations at that point if still up for grabs. Perez missed this season after tearing his ACL last year but has pace and kicks well. Cam Taheny is a possibility, with the South Australian forward likely to be available a bit later than many would have expected earlier in the season, while another half-forward in Jai Jackson has been linked to the Tigers. Could they also be interested in adding to their big man department? Ruckman Jack Bell and versatile tall Bigoa Nyuon, who is tied to St Kilda's Next Generation Academy, have generated some interest. Both shape as project players.

Rfc4Ever

Tiger Legend
Oct 5, 2007
Matt Balmer saying Richmond trying to bundle up their 2020 1st round pick to get inside 25 this year.

Problem is pick 19 next year will become about pick 30 plus with all highly touted academy and F/S picks so hard to find buyers.

PS: If not for the AFL we would of had that extra inside 25 pick :mad:

Makes sense seeing that we would likely end up with pick 18 in 2020 in what may well be a shallow draft.

Jul 26, 2004
www.redbubble.com
I've watched Cooper Stephen's Youtube clip & if it's good enough for Greg Miller it's good enough for me.:))
Looks like the kid can play. Keeps his feet & strong in the contest.

• Haha
Reactions: 3 users

Smoking Aces

Batten Down The Hatches
Sep 21, 2007
We are still keen on Sam Murray.

Most likely in the rookie draft.

• Angry

Scoop

Tiger Legend
Dec 8, 2004
Hoping we land Mitch O’Neal with one of our three second round picks.

Last edited:

tigerdell

Hope springs infernal
Mar 29, 2014
for the 2nd round i am hoping against hope that Sam Philp gets through, with his speed and burst goalwards he reminds me of Foley. Kicks are up and under. Would be a perfect fit.
Hugo Ralphsmith would be an OK second choice.
Would also be keen on Liam Delahunty, Emerson Jeka or Dyson Hilder

But in all honesty i am just a mug punter who is looking forward to our club's selections!

FistFullOfDollars

Tiger Rookie
Dec 16, 2009
is he too outside?
at pick 38 there will always be shortcomings so we cant expect a perfect player.

Nope, Mitch is very capable on the inside. Coaches at the champs just wanted him on the outside to use his speed and skills. Injuries really held him back this year. I hope he lasts to one of our 2nd rounders.