DRAW 2023 | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

DRAW 2023

DavidSSS

Tiger Legend
Dec 11, 2017
Melbourne
I don't follow soccer, have an occasional look at World Cup results. But the Rd 1 fixture was buried under the World Cup stories - own goal and massive insecurity complex for mine.

When you are the number 1, you don't do this sh!t because it makes you look like you are scared of the competition. Might give you a little bit of attention for a day, but what it does to your image is nothing but weaken it.

DS

Reactions: 3 users

JimJessTorp

Barrels it!
May 20, 2009
An armchair in Sydney
I don't follow soccer, have an occasional look at World Cup results. But the Rd 1 fixture was buried under the World Cup stories - own goal and massive insecurity complex for mine.

When you are the number 1, you don't do this sh!t because it makes you look like you are scared of the competition. Might give you a little bit of attention for a day, but what it does to your image is nothing but weaken it.

DS
Agree TripleS. An alternative, might be just plain incompetence. Perhaps the soopa smart people at AFL HQ down at Mickey Mouse Arena just didn't know the biggest sporting event of the year was on and that the Aussie team was playing.

• Haha
Reactions: 1 user

Smoking Aces

Batten Down The Hatches
Sep 21, 2007
It's got nothing to do with Gill, it's about the strength of our game.

I hate soccer but it is a threat to the success of Australian Rules. A direct competitor for participants, government funding, community facilities, media coverage and so on.

Anything good for soccer is bad for Australian Rules.
Looks like you suffer from the same inferiority complex the AFL suffers from when it comes to soccer.

Both games can co-exist.

Reactions: 8 users

The Big Richo

Tiger Champion
Aug 19, 2010
The home of Dusty
Looks like you suffer from the same inferiority complex the AFL suffers from when it comes to soccer.

Both games can co-exist.

Completely disagree when you are talking about the grassroots level.

Local cricket and football can co-exist, they play different seasons, don't impact each other in terms of participants, can work together to upgrade facilities, share social rooms etc..

Football and soccer play the same time of year so when you are looking to recruit junior players you are in direct competition. They almost always use different facilities so when clubs are seeking local and government funding to upgrade them they are in direct competition. With the seasons running together you are in direct competition for sponsors, fundraising dollars and community interest.

I'd wager most, if not all local footy clubs would say it would make their life easier if the local soccer club didn't exist.

Reactions: 1 users

Legends of 2017

Finally!!!!!!!!!!!
Mar 24, 2005
Melbourne
Yeah, not sure what the big deal is. It's only R1. If it was the whole season fixture, yeah maybe.
Gill would have been pissed off the Socceroos got eliminated. He was probably planning to release R2 just before kickoff at the quarter finals then R3 just before the semis etc. If they made it through to the final he would have probably announced something like a night grand final or a revamped finals series :)

• Haha
Reactions: 2 users

TigerForce

Tiger Legend
Apr 26, 2004
Gill would have been pissed off the Socceroos got eliminated. He was probably planning to release R2 just before kickoff at the quarter finals then R3 just before the semis etc. If they made it through to the final he would have probably announced something like a night grand final or a revamped finals series :)
I wish it all happened!!

• Love

Ian4

BIN MAN!
May 6, 2004
Melbourne
It's got nothing to do with Gill, it's about the strength of our game.

I hate soccer but it is a threat to the success of Australian Rules. A direct competitor for participants, government funding, community facilities, media coverage and so on.

Anything good for soccer is bad for Australian Rules.

yellow highlight - your post and opinions are based on this and not rationality.

Red highlight - So are you telling me you wanted the Socceroos to lose?

As someone who follows both sports, your insecurity-based posts are laughable. Sokkah is not a threat to footy and will not be any time soon. And if that ever changes, that will be 20-30 years down the track. Many of us will be long gone. The AFL’s pathetic performance on Sunday will not help that AFL win a “code war“ that doesn’t really exist. There has been no code wars for many, many years. So why are the AFL trying to re-hash it? Next, are they gonna put Ron Barassi on the front page of the Herald Sun again to squash a Sokkah ball?

I see it more as a *smile* take than a serious effort to draw attention, but indisputably at what was apparently a big moment for soccer it had people thinking about the AFL.

No, its had everyone laughing and cringing at the AFL. even AFL people were/are face palming.

Football and soccer play the same time of year so when you are looking to recruit junior players you are in direct competition. They almost always use different facilities so when clubs are seeking local and government funding to upgrade them they are in direct competition.

Again, there is no competition here. Sokkah gets discriminated against at all levels of government and all sides of politics at the expense of the “Aussie Sports.”

Reactions: 3 users

The Big Richo

Tiger Champion
Aug 19, 2010
The home of Dusty
yellow highlight - your post and opinions are based on this and not rationality.

Red highlight - So are you telling me you wanted the Socceroos to lose?

As someone who follows both sports, your insecurity-based posts are laughable. Sokkah is not a threat to footy and will not be any time soon. And if that ever changes, that will be 20-30 years down the track. Many of us will be long gone. The AFL’s pathetic performance on Sunday will not help that AFL win a “code war“ that doesn’t really exist. There has been no code wars for many, many years. So why are the AFL trying to re-hash it? Next, are they gonna put Ron Barassi on the front page of the Herald Sun again to squash a Sokkah ball?

No, its had everyone laughing and cringing at the AFL. even AFL people were/are face palming.

Again, there is no competition here. Sokkah gets discriminated against at all levels of government and all sides of politics at the expense of the “Aussie Sports.”

I'm openly acknowledging I hate soccer as a game, but that doesn't change the fact it is a huge threat to Australian Rules. And yes, I hope the socceroos lose every time they play, and never qualify for the world cup, because that is what is best for Australian Rules and I love that game.

I'm not sure if you are involved in grass roots football but I've had sons and daughters play in three different states and the level of competition is unquestionable.

Soccer has huge junior participation rates, especially in girls, and those kids are lost to Australian Rules. Every junior club I was at was battling soccer teams for kids, and in contest with them for things like lights and change room upgrades from local council.

DavidSSS

Tiger Legend
Dec 11, 2017
Melbourne
Yep, and burying their own announcement about next year's fixture under the world cup coverage contributes to the success of Australian Rules how?

Own goal.

DS

Ian4

BIN MAN!
May 6, 2004
Melbourne
I'm openly acknowledging I hate soccer as a game, but that doesn't change the fact it is a huge threat to Australian Rules. And yes, I hope the socceroos lose every time they play, and never qualify for the world cup, because that is what is best for Australian Rules and I love that game.

I'm not sure if you are involved in grass roots football but I've had sons and daughters play in three different states and the level of competition is unquestionable.

Soccer has huge junior participation rates, especially in girls, and those kids are lost to Australian Rules. Every junior club I was at was battling soccer teams for kids, and in contest with them for things like lights and change room upgrades from local council.

No, I'm not massively involved in grassroots, but i can tell you a couple of stories involving a couple of local councils in Melbourne that have blatantly discriminated against Sokkah. There was one circumstance in particular where a bunch of NIMBYS ran a disinformation and racist campaign against a local development… and won.

This chart below is what Sokkah as a sport has to put up with in Australia. This is data from QLD last financial year, but I can tell you the numbers are similar around the country (Similar figures were released publicly in VIC in the leadup to the 2018 election as well).

This is blatant discrimination, and it needs to end. We are not asking for much, just a fair and equitable distribution of funding.

TODAY2.jpg

turk-d-tiger

Welcome to Richmond Football Club - Daniel Rioli
Dec 1, 2007
melbourne
Norf and Brisbane. Looks like a magical venue. Will have the masses travelling from all over Australia to watch.
The plus is that you can sit in your car so the Radelaide bogans don't steal your tyres.
they should get 200-300 people at that game

The Big Richo

Tiger Champion
Aug 19, 2010
The home of Dusty
This is blatant discrimination, and it needs to end. We are not asking for much, just a fair and equitable distribution of funding.

And that's really the point I'm making as well. We all know soccer is a behemoth at local levels because it has great appeal as a safer option than footy or rugby.

If soccer ever did receive what they are asking for in term of funding then it would be a huge amount of money and the other sports would suffer as a result. In two generations soccer would be an unstoppable force in this country.

It may well be harsh and unfair, but I don't want to see that. I want to see soccer kept down as much as possible and Australian Rules stay strong. I love seeing the media reporting on people being burnt by flares at Fed Square because it takes away some of the gains in support of the World Cup.

SPH

Tiger Cub
Sep 3, 2008
No, I'm not massively involved in grassroots, but i can tell you a couple of stories involving a couple of local councils in Melbourne that have blatantly discriminated against Sokkah. There was one circumstance in particular where a bunch of NIMBYS ran a disinformation and racist campaign against a local development… and won.

This chart below is what Sokkah as a sport has to put up with in Australia. This is data from QLD last financial year, but I can tell you the numbers are similar around the country (Similar figures were released publicly in VIC in the leadup to the 2018 election as well).

View attachment 17617
Not sure taxpayers should fund a sport that pays individual players $250 - $300 million dollars a year?

Ian4

BIN MAN!
May 6, 2004
Melbourne
I love seeing the media reporting on people being burnt by flares at Fed Square because it takes away some of the gains in support of the World Cup.

Thankfully, some sections of the media also reported on us cleaning up afterwards at Fed Square. If you looked close enough, you might have even seen my ugly head on TV :mhihi

tigersnake

Tear 'em apart
Sep 10, 2003

View attachment 17617
great graph. The most interesting thing for me is the diff between NRL (working class game), v Rugby Union (the game of the upper classes in NSW and QLD). I'l like to see the figures over the Coalition government, up every year I'd say under sco mo and co.