When does the reboot come? | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

When does the reboot come?

Tiger Hammer

Tiger Cub
Apr 3, 2014
Finals in 2023 have now completely gone, so when do we hit the reset button and start building for the next premiership???
  • Get Cotch to 300, then farewell
  • Farewell Jack in either the same game, or another home game very soon
  • Are the losses going to hurt our recruiting - will Himmelberg want to come?
  • Will players want to come without a confirmed coach?
  • Who has any trade currency to get picks? (Do we have any ability to bring on kids anyway???)
  • Would we be bold enough to say trade Shai for Pick 1? Would West Coast even take that? (I'm basing that on Harley Reid is the next D Martin)
  • What other realistic trades would upgrade our list?
  • Disappointing that Tarrant hasn't pulled the pin to allow another pick in the MSD, it's a numbers game we need to take as many picks as possible and keep whoever comes on.
Lastly, just a comment - Mini has his own career to worry about, will he be prioritising his future or the clubs future?????

Dev Tiger

Tiger Superstar
Mar 15, 2014
I don't think there is anything else that can be done in terms of winning games this year without Lynch. Ryan and Miller were non competitive in terms of being able to hold their ground in the marking contest yesterday. Jack is on his last legs. So the key forward cupboard is completely bare at the moment. You can't win many games if your key forwards are non competitve. We don't have those small forwards with running power either that can get up and down the ground to help in defence and then get involved when we have the ball like Lambo and Titch used to.

I don't think it's about wins and losses given the state of our forward line. It's probably about making assessments on the kids we do have and getting Cotch to three hundred games.
Maybe it is worth trying Tarrant forward if he comes back. At least he should be able to bring the ball to ground. I hope internally questions are being asked as to how our key forward stocks got to this state.

Reactions: 1 users

Tigga94

Tiger Rookie
Apr 2, 2023
List is a big worry imo. Could be years of pain. Hope I’m wrong.

• Dislike
Reactions: 4 users

snags

Tiger Superstar
Oct 28, 2005
I reckon you're over reacting. We weren't far away with a completely inept forward structure, plenty of guys down and umpires who wanted to insert a digit. I reckon this week will be the real measure of what Mini has in store. First week was status quo. This week we'll see his tweaks. If I was Mini, I'd be pushing Teague under the train to come up with some alternatives to the current structures.
Gibcus shouldn't be too far away as a forward chop out. I'd also like May from our VFL in the midseason to provide immediate support.

Reactions: 3 users

azzatiger

Tiger Cub
Nov 29, 2021
Poor list management and list building has got us into this position.

We took 5 kids inside the top 30 in the 2021 draft and recruited 1 KPD, 1 mid, and 3 flankers whilst Riewoldt only had 1-2 years and Lynch was heading towards being 30 years old.

The Tom Brown over JVR selection is going to sting as well selecting CCJ over Oscar Allen.

We need a review into our list management structure

Last edited:
  • Dislike
Reactions: 14 users

Carter

Tiger Legend
Nov 14, 2012
we should probably trade hard into this years first round.

bolton, broad, whoever it takes.

• Dislike
Reactions: 4 users

seven

Super Tiger
Apr 20, 2004
List is a big worry imo. Could be years of pain. Hope I’m wrong.
Adelaide are starting to look good after falling off the perch in 2018.
Good recruiting, smart trading and development help

Reactions: 3 users

mrposhman

Tiger Legend
Oct 6, 2013
we should probably trade hard into this years first round.

bolton, broad, whoever it takes.

No way are we trading Shai. If we are saying that a 24 year old won't be part of our next tilt then we may as well sell anyone with value and draft an entire heap of 18 year olds but expect to be down in the doldrums for the next 10-15 years

Reactions: 7 users

bricci

Tiger Rookie
May 7, 2004
It would definitely worth trading a perceived star with WCE if you could land pick 1. I would think only Bolton or Balta would get that done and even then we may have a lot of competition from other teams trying to do the same. I think Balta has plenty of currency (meaning others may think he is better than he really is).
Of course with the rules as they are the player has to want to go!

Reactions: 1 user

DavidSSS

Tiger Legend
Dec 11, 2017
Melbourne
Not just recruiting but our development of young players seems to have dropped off. It doesn't take much in such an even competition, but we seemed to get a lot better at this for a while, now not so good.

DS

Reactions: 2 users

RoarEmotion

Tiger Legend
Aug 20, 2005
I think percentage tells a lot.

We are 98.4% with a shitload of things going wrong and we only beat WCE by 6-7 goals unlike everyone else getting 15 goal wins and didn't play hawthorn when they were struggling.

W-L doesn't match our percentage.

Gaps are obvious.
- too many players injured / seemingly underdone
- i50 connection / delivery
- too many brain fades gifting goals
- ability to transfer from d50 including contested marking as an outlet
- goal kicking accuracy (this worth 3-4 wins IMO)
- bringing ball to ground and not getting intercept marked as much inside 50 (Lynch fixes)

Burning the whole house doesn't make sense. Work on the gaps through structure and personnel.

• Love
Reactions: 9 users

bullus_hit

Whatchu talkin about Jack?
Apr 3, 2006
I think percentage tells a lot.

We are 98.4% with a shitload of things going wrong and we only beat WCE by 6-7 goals unlike everyone else getting 15 goal wins and didn't play hawthorn when they were struggling.

W-L doesn't match our percentage.

Gaps are obvious.
- too many players injured / seemingly underdone
- i50 connection / delivery
- too many brain fades gifting goals
- ability to transfer from d50 including contested marking as an outlet
- goal kicking accuracy (this worth 3-4 wins IMO)
- bringing ball to ground and not getting intercept marked as much inside 50 (Lynch fixes)

Burning the whole house doesn't make sense. Work on the gaps through structure and personnel.
I wouldn't be trading Bolton, he's easily part of a premiership midfield, he would be a second or third ranked midfielder in any club challenging for top spot. Balta a maybe, depends on whether we can replace him with a tall forward, I would do that trade if say we ended up with Nate Caddy, I think Balta has value, I also think he would be easier to replace than a goal kicking mid like Shai. Filling in the other gaps doable with 2-3 picks in the 15-30 range, this possible with Broad up for grabs, perhaps Dusty for a pick around the 20 mark.

• Haha

Tiger Hammer

Tiger Cub
Apr 3, 2014
When I started this thread and referred to a reboot, I didn't mean do a Hawthorn and cut it all back to the bone.
But we also need to realise doing more of the same won't fix it either.

If we are serious of being competitive in 2024 (edit: and beyond), we need to try out more of the kids. How do you do that? Have less experience on the field. How do you do that? Retire 2 of the modern greats.

Once we have really tried out the kids, work out what our needs are and go hunting for that.
Himmelberg is one answer, perhaps some specific trades for players or picks might also help. But hey, that would help any year.

Overall my point being, let's celebrate the Dimmasty, but let's acknowledge it is over and get to work on the next phase.

Last edited:

tigerfan1961

Tiger Matchwinner
Jul 25, 2004
Some of the comments on here are absolutely laughable. When have we been thrashed this year, or even been non competitive, even when playing the better sides? Not once, yet, trade out whoever (Bolton and Balta even!!!) to get picks for maybe players. Thank God Blair is in charge and not some on here. Two woeful performances against GCS & Bummers cost us big time.
Our forward line and strategy going into F50 (& Lynch injured and Jack pretty well cooked) are the main issue. Score 100 points in each game this season (like we did a lot last season and we win every game, bar Sydney where we rolled the dice and paid a price for opening ourselves up. Even the kids drafted in the last 2-3 years are copping injuries and have hardly played. Brown and Gibcus, our top 2 picks from 2021, and Smith, our top pick last year have not even played a game this year!!
Nothing has gone in our favour this year, and losing Cotch, Jack and Tarrant isn’t going to hurt at all imo, as their output is well below what they once delivered.
Fix the forward set up and the way we bring the ball inside 50 (can we actually get a player or 2 to lead at the ball carrier instead of just bombing it in??.) and we will be better. All imho

Reactions: 9 users

ceehook2

Tiger Matchwinner
Feb 11, 2021
we have to be careful , don't want to be come the next Carlton

expect instant success and fall into a cycle of constantly axing coaches , players , officals

what happens with Tarrant , Dow , Ralpsmith , Cumberland , Bauer , Biggie comes seasons end ?

they have half a season to show their worth

bullus_hit

Whatchu talkin about Jack?
Apr 3, 2006
Some of the comments on here are absolutely laughable. When have we been thrashed this year, or even been non competitive, even when playing the better sides? Not once, yet, trade out whoever (Bolton and Balta even!!!) to get picks for maybe players. Thank God Blair is in charge and not some on here. Two woeful performances against GCS & Bummers cost us big time.
Our forward line and strategy going into F50 (& Lynch injured and Jack pretty well cooked) are the main issue. Score 100 points in each game this season (like we did a lot last season and we win every game, bar Sydney where we rolled the dice and paid a price for opening ourselves up. Even the kids drafted in the last 2-3 years are copping injuries and have hardly played. Brown and Gibcus, our top 2 picks from 2021, and Smith, our top pick last year have not even played a game this year!!
Nothing has gone in our favour this year, and losing Cotch, Jack and Tarrant isn’t going to hurt at all imo, as their output is well below what they once delivered.
Fix the forward set up and the way we bring the ball inside 50 (can we actually get a player or 2 to lead at the ball carrier instead of just bombing it in??.) and we will be better. All imho
Balta can be replaced by Gibcus, which begs the question, who have you got lined up to replace Jack & Lynch? Nate Caddy is a worthy target, perhaps if Blair didn't cough up our first rounder we wouldn't be having this conversation. And for the record, I rate Balta but like anything in life you have to give up something of value to get something of value. There's also more pain to come, most of our wins have been off the back of our 30+ crowd, Prestia versus Geelong for example, these guys are trending downwards. No point blaming injuries either, Lynch is in his twilight years and will get the niggles from time to time.

• Dislike