Drug Discussion (Split from Stokes Thread) | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Drug Discussion (Split from Stokes Thread)

Baloo

Delisted Free Agent
Nov 8, 2005
KnightersRevenge said:
I'm with you Baloo. I think the best prescription for too many labels is more labels.

That's because we're labellers

KnightersRevenge

Baby Knighters is 7!! WTF??
Aug 21, 2007
Ireland
rosy3 said:
Interested to read the data that shows my comment is backwards. I think in many cases it may well prove accurate and in many cases you may well be the one who has it backwards. It's a very infividual thing.

Interested to read your data that confirms you have it forwards Rosy.

I agree, it is an individual thing I haven't said anything to the contrary.

KnightersRevenge

Aug 21, 2007
Ireland
Baloo said:
That's because we're labellers

Labelling people labellers is labellist.

c46caf4491f24ba1d690aa1534196bc9.jpg

KnightersRevenge

Aug 21, 2007
Ireland
I don't always love IFLS but for anyone who's interested here is a summary of state of recent research on cannabis.

http://www.iflscience.com/health-and-medicine/11-key-findings-from-one-of-the-most-comprehensive-reports-ever-on-the-health-effects-of-marijuana/all/

"With that in mind, here are some of the most striking findings from the report:

- There was conclusive or substantial evidence (the most definitive levels) that cannabis or cannabinoids, found in the marijuana plant, can be an effective treatment for chronic pain, according to the report, which is "by far the most common" reason people request medical marijuana.

- With similar certainty, they found that cannabis can help treat muscle spasms related to multiple sclerosis and can help prevent or treat nausea and vomiting associated with chemotherapy.

-The authors found evidence that suggested that marijuana increased the risk of a driving crash.
They also found evidence that in states with legal access to marijuana, children were more likely to accidentally consume cannabis.
We've looked at these numbers before and seen that the overall increases in risk are small — one study found that the rate of overall accidental ingestion among children went from 1.2 per 100,000 two years before legalization to 2.3 per 100,000 two years after legalization. There's still a far higher chance parents call poison control because of kids eating crayons or diaper cream, but it's still important to know that some increased risk could exist.

- Perhaps surprisingly, the authors found moderate evidence (a pretty decent level of certainty and an indication that good data exists) that cannabis was not connected to any increased risk of the lung cancers or head and neck cancers associated with smoking. However, they did find some limited evidence suggesting that chronic or frequent users may have higher rates of a certain type of testicular cancer.

- Connections to heart conditions were less clear. There's insufficient evidence to support or refute the idea that cannabis might increase the risk of a heart attack, though there was some limited evidence that smoking cannabis might be a trigger for a heart attack.

- There was substantial evidence that regular marijuana smokers are more likely to experience chronic bronchitis and that stopping smoking was likely to improve these conditions. There's not enough evidence to say that that cannabis does or doesn't increase the risk for respiratory conditions like asthma.

- There was limited evidence that smoking marijuana could have some anti-inflammatory effects.

- Substantial evidence suggests a link between prenatal cannabis exposure (when a pregnant woman uses marijuana) and lower birth weight, and there was limited evidence suggesting that this use could increase pregnancy complications and increase the risk that a baby would have to spend time in the neonatal intensive care unit.

- In terms of mental health, substantial evidence shows an increased risk of developing schizophrenia among frequent users, something that studies have shown is a particular concern for people at risk for schizophrenia in the first place. There was also moderate evidence that cannabis use is connected to a small increased risk for depression and an increased risk for social anxiety disorder.

- Limited evidence showed a connection between cannabis use and impaired academic achievement, something that has been shown to be especially true for people who begin smoking regularly during adolescence (which has also been shown to increase the risk for problematic use).

- One of the most interesting and perhaps most important conclusions of the report is that far more research on cannabis is needed. Importantly, in most cases, saying cannabis was connected to an increased risk doesn't mean marijuana use caused that risk.

And it's hard to conduct research on marijuana right now. The report says that's largely because of regulatory barriers, including marijuana's Schedule I classification by the Drug Enforcement Administration and the fact that researchers often can't access the same sorts of marijuana that people actually use. Even in states where it's legal to buy marijuana, federal regulations prevent researchers from using that same product"

Ian4

BIN MAN!
May 6, 2004
Melbourne
http://www.theage.com.au/comment/politicians-will-have-blood-on-their-hands-until-they-change-drug-policy-20170116-gts42b.html

Politicians will have blood on their hands until they change drug policy
January 16 2017

The alarming and preventable spate of overdoses caused by a batch of MDMA, known as ecstasy, in one of Melbourne's club districts at the weekend is further evidence, not that any was needed, that Australia's drug policies are an abject failure.

Our lawmakers need to publicly recognise that their "war on drugs" ignores evidence that the most effective policies for minimising the harm caused by misuse of illicit substances include decriminalisation, regulation, education and putting resources into prevention and treatment, rather than trying to apply ridiculous laws.

We have been saying it for years, and will continue to do so until sense prevails and our politicians have the decency, honesty and courage to tell the community what they readily acknowledge in private: prohibition has failed.

The failure by our politicians to make enlightened changes to the law is costing lives. That is an appalling indictment of people whose primary responsibility is to protect and enhance the wellbeing of the community.

The weekend's incident not only illustrates the ineffectiveness of current policy, but adds urgency to the debate – the police are warning that the bad batch could be around for months. That is particularly worrying, because the music festival season, a marvellous element of Australia's vibrant creative culture, is upon us.

Before we make some suggestions, we would again like to stress that The Age is not seeking to condone, let alone encourage, the misuse of substances. Our fundamental concern is harm minimisation. And that, again, depends on change.

Portugal, viewed as the global leader on such policy, having decriminalised drugs 15 years ago, has experienced a decrease in drug use, crime, disease and overdoses. Other nations have adopted similar policies, which appeal to progressives, libertarians and conservatives alike – progressives and libertarians because of their support for freedom, and conservatives because of an appreciation for rational, evidence-based policy.

We believe Australia must and will learn from the successes offshore, and that policy will be changed. But how many preventable deaths will it take before that change comes? So, in the interests of harm minimisation before the arbitrary line between licit and illicit substances is moved or, better, removed, here are some suggestions:

1.Pill testing should be introduced at festivals and venues. This would compromise the police, so is not optimal, but we would urge that the police turn a blind eye. Melbourne University recently floated a fine idea that skirts the police issue – self-testing kits. We urge those who take party pills to look into obtaining self-testing kits.

2.Peer forums online can help educate, inform and warn users. An example is the website Bluelight, where people share things they experience under the influence of drugs.

3.Being armed with knowledge: the federal health administration has produced an excellent free app and a website that provide crucial information about risks and effects.

4.Emergency support. There is a case for having volunteer medical experts at venues.

Of course, the best way to avoid harm from substances is to avoid recreational use of substances. But the reality is, and has always been, that many people like altered states.

Indeed, Australia is one of the world's most drug-using nations, and the one with the highest per capita consumption of ecstasy. The truth is that most people who use substances recreationally do so safely in the privacy of their own homes.

Until Australia's drug policies are brought into the 21st century, our lawmakers are the biggest barrier to harm minimisation. That is nothing short of a disgrace.

this is the excellent age editorial from 2 days ago. indeed it is a disgrace. 3 deaths on the weekend and successive government deserves some of the blame for their archaic policies. Victoria has a progressive premier atm, so now has never been a better time. its time to act Daniel Andrews.

LeeToRainesToRoach

Tiger Legend
Jun 4, 2006
Melbourne
Ian4 said:
this is the excellent age editorial from 2 days ago. indeed it is a disgrace. 3 deaths on the weekend and successive government deserves some of the blame for their archaic policies. Victoria has a progressive premier atm, so now has never been a better time. its time to act Daniel Andrews.

People presented at hospital in various states of mental disarray - some violent, some paranoid, some hallucinating, some psychotic. Why should it be legal for people to drug themselves into an unpredictable mental state?

You can blame me as well if you want, since I'm opposed to legalisation. Blame anyone except those who willingly ingested the sh!t.

*smile*ing hopeless.

Besides, Andrews can't even stop a few Sudanese from robbing the joint blind. There are people ready to string him up already without this lunacy.

Rosy

Tiger Legend
Mar 27, 2003
How would Portugal's situation have prevented those deaths? It's still illegal to manufacture and sell drugs there like it is here. A "bad" batch is always a possibility. It's ludicrous to blame successive governments for the deaths.

1eyedtiger

Tiger Superstar
Jun 2, 2007
Have any of the people who suffered overdoses on the weekend been pursued by police on possession charges? If not, how would 'decriminalization' help? People are currently free to seek medical help for drug overdoses if they need it without fear of prosecution, Yes, no?

1eyedtiger

Tiger Superstar
Jun 2, 2007
Giardiasis said:
Because you don't own their bodies, they do.

If people drugged themselves up and sat in the corner staring at the wall, then it wouldn't be a problem. But when they go out and get behind the wheel of a motor vehicle and end up injuring or killing someone else, or committing random acts of crime then your argument falls apart. I own my body too.

LeeToRainesToRoach

Tiger Legend
Jun 4, 2006
Melbourne
1eyedtiger said:
If people drugged themselves up and sat in the corner staring at the wall, then it wouldn't be a problem. But when they go out and get behind the wheel of a motor vehicle and end up injuring or killing someone else, or committing random acts of crime then your argument falls apart. I own my body too.

Precisely. Can't be trusted to do the right thing in an altered state.

glantone

dog at the footy, punt rd end
Jun 5, 2007
LeeToRainesToRoach said:
People presented at hospital in various states of mental disarray - some violent, some paranoid, some hallucinating, some psychotic. .....

Substitute 'delusionary' for 'hallucinating' and you've pretty much described yer average Richmond supporter after a loss to Melbourne anyway. No biggy there.

Giardiasis

Tiger Legend
Apr 20, 2009
Brisbane
1eyedtiger said:
You can only justify violence if there is a rights violation. Killing or injuring others hurts the physical integrity of other people's bodies (their private property), so they are justifiably illegal. The consumption of drugs in itself does not violate anyone else's private property. Driving a car is dangerous whilst under the influence of drugs, hence the owners of roads are incentivised to make it a condition of use that drivers cannot be under the influence, but it is up to them. You have not demonstrated that my argument falls apart, your argument is a non sequitur. You justify violence without a rights violation.

As a side note, the logical conclusion of your argument is that alcohol should be illegal. I'm interested to know if that's what you'd advocate also?