during and after the GRANNY??? | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

during and after the GRANNY???

graystar1

Tiger Legend
Apr 28, 2004
What did everyone who could not get to the GF do on the day and how did PREnders celebrate the win?

As for wife and I, we travelled to Mildura on Friday, met with close friends on Saturday, drank champagne and some beer, watched the game in raptures and had a barby afterwards.

Great day, and the drove home to Shepp. on the Sunday. Have watched the replay on Fox. more than once since then.

Not very exciting I suppose but we enjoyed the weekend that's for sure.

Look forward to hearing how others on here celebrated.

Reactions: 1 user

caspar

We won!!!!!
Jun 8, 2006
Melbourne
Left home (Mt D) at 7:30 with my son. Cricketers Arms for breakfast at 8:30. Then got in the gates to secure a good standing spot at 9:30. Would have been different if we'd got a seat. But that was good. Good to meet new bretheren inside the ground 5 hours pregame.
Swan st after. For a couple of hours...

tigertim

something funny is written here
Mar 6, 2004
Met some of PREs finest at Richmond for a bbq in the morning. Met some some mates at the Lock up bar at the G for a few beers. Unfortunately we all bought our tickets seperate so we sat apart to enjoy the Tigers win. I tried to get down to the fence to get close to the players action as they went around the ground but not a chance.

Met up again with the mates but one of them was a princess and wanted to go somewhere quiet so we went to the Retreat in Collingwood. I had a quick Swan st experience before heading home.

BrisTiger24

Out: Chimp In: Camel
Oct 16, 2003
Brisbane
As for wife and I, we travelled to Mildura on Friday, met with close friends on Saturday, drank champagne and some beer, watched the game in raptures and had a barby afterwards.

Fair to say on initial read I thought you said "had a baby afterwards"...

For me, we were travelling home from a week's holiday at Noosa on Saturday morning. Dumped the kids with the in laws and then headed to the Shafston Hotel, home of the QLD RFC Supporters Group. Good turn out but a bit disappointed at the post game celebration, it thinned out very quickly. Ordered a curry on Uber Eats when I got home which, next morning, I realised more ended up on my Richmond guernsey than actually in my mouth!!

• Haha

Mopsy

"I can feel Tigermania flowing through my veins"
Jan 9, 2005
Brisbane
Went up to Coolum on Sunshine Coast on Sat morning. Resort we are staying at there was about 20 other Tiger fans in attendance. Yellow and Black everywhere.
Watched game in apartment with kids then headed down to the Coolum Beach Hotel to celebrate. Met a heap of fellow Tigers there and had a great night out.

caspar

We won!!!!!
Jun 8, 2006
Melbourne
So can we expect to see a few Marlion s, Dustins, Martins, Toms, Bachars on the birth register next May?

frickenel

Tiger Champion
Jul 30, 2003
Hidden Valley
Before the game i watched "Jack and the Bean Stalk" to see who won, as i thought it might be an omen.

The giant got it's arse handed to it by a little dude. At the game, the way Trent Cotchin smashed Mummy into the dirt, i think he watched the same film with his kids!

• Haha
  • Love
Reactions: 4 users

DavidSSS

Tiger Legend
Dec 11, 2017
Melbourne
Went to Swan St after the game with my daughter, but everywhere had queues to get in so didn't hang around long as she had a party to go to. Maybe should have just hung around there for a while but ended up going home.

DS

• Sad

mrposhman

Tiger Legend
Oct 6, 2013
Went to the post match entertainment at the G. Had a great time once we got in. Took most of the stuff that I had at PRO back to the car (seats etc) but kept one backpack with me so I could bring my daughters Ipads in so they could record video or take pics. Got to the G and was told, no bags. I was like, but you can take them in when there are 100k people in there but not when there was 15k????

Crazy times, ended up running back to the car again and the girls didn't have their Ipads. Really really strange decision not to allow bags back into the G yet you can take in for every sporting every.

Had a great time in the end anyway.

• Wow

A Tiger in Denmark
Aug 9, 2003
Denmark
www.dafl.dk
I actually went to the GF in 2017. Decided to stay home this time for a variety of reasons.
We recenty moved quite a deal away from Copenhagen so even going into the city to watch it at an Australian pub was a non-starter.
And my grown-up sons who might have shown an interest have moved out (one watched it at his flat) so I watched it mostly alone, starting 6.30 am our time.
Her indoors (Danish and not very interested) was up and around by half-time and watched the second half.
I celebrated by having a couple of ales - at 10.00 am which was unusual for me.
Worked in the garden the rest of the day (summer ending so some things needed doing), then we went out to dine on the harbour and I had a few more celebratory drinks.

One amusing anecdote was that I put an RFC flag on our letter-box for the rest of the weekend (see picture below).
This would not have raised any eye-brows in our old house where I had lived for years and the neighbours knew me.
But here things are different and not many even know that I'm Australian, and I got a few please explains.
One bloke thought it was an Al-Qaeda flag.

And no, the house being number 17 had no influence on me wanting to buy it!

flag19.jpg

• Love
Reactions: 23 users

tigerjoe12

Tiger Superstar
Aug 24, 2006
Like 2017 I knew I couldn’t miss out on going the game so my trek started Tuesday afternoon in the US. Had to fly via Seattle then Hawaii but got back to Melbs Thursday afternoon...

GF day was cricketers arms in the morning followed by nervous beers at the ground, followed by an amazing game & then walked up to Fitzroy to have a few celebratory beers. Tried to watch the replay when I got back to mum’s but due to jetlag I was completely rooted & fell asleep. Finished watching the replay the next morning & then had to head back to the airport & fly home

Was a 52 hour return commute for 72 hours in Melbourne but was worth every second!!! Same feeling as 2017 but last time was a little more of a shock. Almost easier to lap it up this time as it felt slightly less surreal! An amazing day!

Reactions: 8 users

Tigerfan

Roar Power
Apr 28, 2004
Gold Coast (SE - QLD).
Left home (Mt D) at 7:30 with my son. Cricketers Arms for breakfast at 8:30. Then got in the gates to secure a good standing spot at 9:30. Would have been different if we'd got a seat. But that was good. Good to meet new bretheren inside the ground 5 hours pregame.
Swan st after. For a couple of hours...
Yeah I had standing room 2017, great memories

MB78

I can have my cake and eat it too
Sep 8, 2009
I drove my wife and 3 kids, 3 hours early Friday morning to Melbourne so we could watch the AFL grand final parade. We then stayed at the Footy Festival afterwards. It was a great atmosphere and their were thousands there.

I had tickets to take the whole family to PRO. I had a GF ticket in a great spot that I forwarded on to a family member as I wanted to be with my two oldest children 12 and 9 who love the footy. Particularly my 9 year old son. After waiting at so many lines I decided that I would walk to Ticketek and get the GF ticket. While I left my wife and kids at the footy festival.

That night I went out with other members of my family and went out in Richmond. I had many beers to settle the nerves.

The next morning my wife wakes me and tells me that she thinks we have won 5 tickets to the AFL GF. I’m thinking it’s all a big joke. I was also a bit Dusty. Anyway what had happened was my 9 year old son was nagging my wife to put up a post on Instagram with Woolworths AFL grand final. Woolworths were having a competition to win 5 GF tickets for a family enjoying their site. You also had to have all the right hashtags.

I told my wife that we won’t tell the kids until we find out it’s all true that we had won the tickets. Anyway to cut a long story short it was real and my wife picked up the tickets at 9am. We then got the kids ready for PRO then filmed the moment when we told them we had won the tickets.

The seats were in a great location level 1. We were diehards (we are all members), amongst many corporates who seemed to jump on the GWS. It was the greatest whole family moment of my wife. Afterwards we all caught up with extended family outside the MCG.

I would like to thank Woolworths, my 9 year son who nagged my wife and my awesome wife for winning the tickets.

I know the corporates get too many tickets. But at least Woolworths gave them to a Richmond family.

Last edited:
  • Love
  • Wow
Reactions: 35 users

graystar1

Tiger Legend
Apr 28, 2004
I drove my wife and 3 kids, 3 hours early Friday morning to Melbourne so we could watch the AFL grand final parade. We then stayed at the Footy Festival afterwards. It was a great atmosphere and their were thousands there.

I had tickets to take the whole family to PRO. I had a GF ticket in a great spot that I forwarded on to a family member as I wanted to be with my two oldest children 12 and 9 who love the footy. Particularly my 9 year old son. After waiting at so many lines I decided that I would walk to Ticketek and get the GF ticket. While I left my wife and kids at the footy festival.

That night I went out with other members of my family and went out in Richmond. I had many beers to settle the nerves.

The next morning my wife wakes me and tells me that she thinks we have won 5 tickets to the AFL GF. I’m thinking it’s all a big joke. I was also a bit Dusty. Anyway what had happened was my 9 year old son was nagging my wife to put up a post on Instagram with Woolworths AFL grand final. Woolworths were having a competition to win 5 GF tickets for a family enjoying their site. You also had to have all the right hashtags.

I told my wife that we won’t tell the kids until we find out it’s all true that we had won the tickets. Anyway to cut a long story short it was real and my wife picked up the tickets at 9am. We then got the kids ready for PRO then filmed the moment when we told them we had won the tickets.

The seats were in a great location level 1. We were diehards (we are all members), amongst many corporates who seemed to jump on the GWS. It was the greatest whole family moment of my wife. Afterwards we all caught up with extended family outside the MCG.

I would like to thank Woolworths, my 9 year son who nagged my wife and my awesome wife for winning the tickets.

I know the corporates get too many tickets. But at least Woolworths gave them to a Richmond family.

That is a great story. Lucky one too.

I don't think I have ever won anything like that in my entire life. An occasional small prize in Lotto and that's about it.

Did win a raffle once at the Merimbula RSl for a meat tray.

Anyway, good to read of the pre and post celebrations of my many Prender friends here on this site.

Wonder how we will celebrate next year??

Ian4

BIN MAN!
May 6, 2004
Melbourne
grand final day started at 2am with my mate falling down the stairs and breaking his hip (full story told in the "premiers 2019" thread). got back to bed by 6:15am, but couldn't sleep. eventually gave in and got up at 8:15am. had a hearty brekky, etc, and out the door at 9:45am. made a pit stop at the hospital to see my mate before heading in.

arrived at Holliava at midday. had a quickie jug before heading to the G. had a few beers with mates at the Lock Up Bar before disbursing to our seats. I sat down in my L4 seat with a full tray of beers as the pre-game entertainment started at 1:30. more beers with mates at Lock Up Bar at half time. lot of high fives knowing the game was pretty much sewn up by then.

with about 10 mins to go, we went down to the ground level in pushed our way into the cheersquad, about 5 rows from the fence to bask in the celebrations. it was the best decision we made all day. we had great view of the celebrations.

post game we went to Swan St to soak up the madness. went to about 2-3 different bars (much easier getting a beer compared to 2017) before finally settling in at bar 9T4. we were basically the last ones pushed out the door at 3am before heading home.

Jake

Tiger Superstar
Apr 2, 2005
Came down for the game on Friday with wife and 2 sons and their women in toe, meet up with a mate and his wife for lunch and beers. Tiger brother gave me a call and said he was at a bar on the Yarra, Riverland?? So the blokes went there and women went shopping (strange that). Out at Dinner, mates wife has a ticket to the game but doesn't want to go (AFL MEMBER Footscray) Tiger brother has 2 girls 15 and 17, the 15 year old gets the ticket. To see her face was priceless when we told her.

Saturday morning bit Dusty, son cracks a can 9am, I don't take the bait. Out for a nervous breakfast, I don't really like this time from about 10 to start of the game, don't know how players handle it. Walk up to Transport and women wish us luck and disappear into shops. The 6 of us brother and niece, 2 sons, mate and me, head to the MCG to watch the MIghty TIGES win another one. But we don't get far, that Riverland bar is in our way and it would be rude not to stop and have a couple.

At the MCG, mate(Collingwood tragic) praise's the Tiges year with the injuries we have had, and backs us for 40+, I nearly choke on my first beer. Game starts, tough first 20 minutes, busting for a *smile* and miss Dusty's first but hear the roar in the dunnies and you know we got one, watch Dan's goal on the steps. Unreal, in front. Great 2nd quarter. Third, Dusty kicks that goal only 20 metres from us, unreal, to see my niece's face at that moment well it was special. Forth, what can you say, all those crap years walking out of the MCG and another grounds beaten and taking *smile* from supporters from every club.

We are now a power and PREMIERS 2019.