during and after the GRANNY??? | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

during and after the GRANNY???

graystar1

Tiger Legend
Apr 28, 2004
Came down for the game on Friday with wife and 2 sons and their women in toe, meet up with a mate and his wife for lunch and beers. Tiger brother gave me a call and said he was at a bar on the Yarra, Riverland?? So the blokes went there and women went shopping (strange that). Out at Dinner, mates wife has a ticket to the game but doesn't want to go (AFL MEMBER Footscray) Tiger brother has 2 girls 15 and 17, the 15 year old gets the ticket. To see her face was priceless when we told her.

Saturday morning bit Dusty, son cracks a can 9am, I don't take the bait. Out for a nervous breakfast, I don't really like this time from about 10 to start of the game, don't know how players handle it. Walk up to Transport and women wish us luck and disappear into shops. The 6 of us brother and niece, 2 sons, mate and me, head to the MCG to watch the MIghty TIGES win another one. But we don't get far, that Riverland bar is in our way and it would be rude not to stop and have a couple.

At the MCG, mate(Collingwood tragic) praise's the Tiges year with the injuries we have had, and backs us for 40+, I nearly choke on my first beer. Game starts, tough first 20 minutes, busting for a **** and miss Dusty's first but hear the roar in the dunnies and you know we got one, watch Dan's goal on the steps. Unreal, in front. Great 2nd quarter. Third, Dusty kicks that goal only 20 metres from us, unreal, to see my niece's face at that moment well it was special. Forth, what can you say, all those crap years walking out of the MCG and another grounds beaten and taking **** from supporters from every club.

We are now a power and PREMIERS 2019.
How can you have a Collingwood mate Jake??

Wait a minute, I have a close Collingwood mate in Mildura and he is quite fair about footy in general.

He would have to be an exception I reckon.

• Haha
Reactions: 1 user

Bernie

Tiger Superstar
Aug 19, 2008
Tura Beach

Wait a minute, I have a close Collingwood mate in Mildura and he is quite fair about footy in general.

My mother in law barracks for Collingwood, as does her current/second husband.

Each used the Ladder Predictor after we’d won the QF and selected a Collingwood vs Geelong grand final.

There was no sense in arguing logically with either of them.

They’ve been quiet the last fortnight or so.

FIIK where Christmas lunch is this year!

TT33

Yellow & Black Member
Feb 17, 2004
Melbourne

Each used the Ladder Predictor after we’d won the QF and selected a Collingwood vs Geelong grand final.

Offer them Humble Pie for lunch Bernie, they'll probably choke on it.:cool:

• Love

CarnTheTiges

This is a REAL tiger
Mar 8, 2004
Victoria
I watched the whole thing at home, sat back and just enjoyed the last quarter, had a few drinks, texted a lot with my cousin who lives in WA. Wife was out on Sunday, so I watched the GF again with a bug smile on my face the entire time.

• Love

Jake

Tiger Superstar
Apr 2, 2005

Yeah Gray hearing you, he was happy Dusty got the NS, Cameron first goal into Dusty NS = $650.00. We were home half though the third, he said to me "Dusty has been *smile* off for nearly 8 minutes Jesus". I didn't know he had bet going and I was wondered why he was upset. But he collected good judge.

Djevv

Tiger Champion
Feb 11, 2005
NT
www.youtube.com
My day began at 12:00am at Darwin airport. We waited for another 3hrs until our delayed Jetstar flight departed. Meanwhile the missus and I had a few drinks at the bar. I had a double scotch which I thought might help me sleep. When the barmaid told me of the $26 cost I was taken by surprise and exclaimed ‘how much!!’. She then pointed at the glass and told me it did contain a lot of alcohol and I ought to be careful. First time I have been told off by a barmaid for buying a drink!

Arrived at our airb&b place around 10AM and relaxed for a few hours. It was bloody freezing in Melbourne so I rugged up and headed out to get my tickets. I got them at a theatre on Collins st rather than the G as I thought it might be crowded. I then walked the rest of the way. I was at one point surrounded by GWS supporters in orange robes channeling the sanyassans and chanting strange quasi-religious chants all the way to the G.

I soaked up the amazing carnival atmosphere outside the ground for a while the met up with my daughter. The most difficult part of the day was fighting the crowds at gate 1 in order to get in! The comedian on the mike kept telling us ‘if you go to the left of where I am standing....’. Of course no-one had a clue where that was due to the crush which added hilarity to our predicament. In due course we entered and found our seats.

The game was fantastic. We were up in the 3rd tier under the scoreboard. I remember jumping up and down a lot celebrating goals and singing many, many renditions of yellow and black after the final siren and having trouble telling one player from another. ‘Was that Marlion again?’ ‘Nah it was Shedda’ ‘After 50 everything is a mystery mate’. ‘Well played Soldo!!’ ‘Err I think it was Nank’ ‘Oh Ok right you are mate’ pretty much summed up my afternoon.

Afterwards I was keen to head to Swan st. ‘No way I’m going there Dad, too crowded!’ Exclaimed my 24 yo daughter channeling her 80yo grandmother ‘I’m off home’ ‘see ya!’. So I followed suit and did the same. It had been a long day after all.

• Love
Reactions: 1 users

waiting

Tiger Legend
Apr 15, 2007
Victoria
I actually went to the GF in 2017. Decided to stay home this time for a variety of reasons.
We recenty moved quite a deal away from Copenhagen so even going into the city to watch it at an Australian pub was a non-starter.
And my grown-up sons who might have shown an interest have moved out (one watched it at his flat) so I watched it mostly alone, starting 6.30 am our time.
Her indoors (Danish and not very interested) was up and around by half-time and watched the second half.
I celebrated by having a couple of ales - at 10.00 am which was unusual for me.
Worked in the garden the rest of the day (summer ending so some things needed doing), then we went out to dine on the harbour and I had a few more celebratory drinks.

One amusing anecdote was that I put an RFC flag on our letter-box for the rest of the weekend (see picture below).
This would not have raised any eye-brows in our old house where I had lived for years and the neighbours knew me.
But here things are different and not many even know that I'm Australian, and I got a few please explains.
One bloke thought it was an Al-Qaeda flag.

And no, the house being number 17 had no influence on me wanting to buy it!

View attachment 9193

I remember you saying you were coming down back in 17 , 23 would have been awesome experience after 37 years .

That's what you tell us about the house !

waiting

Tiger Legend
Apr 15, 2007
Victoria
Like 2017 I knew I couldn’t miss out on going the game so my trek started Tuesday afternoon in the US. Had to fly via Seattle then Hawaii but got back to Melbs Thursday afternoon...

GF day was cricketers arms in the morning followed by nervous beers at the ground, followed by an amazing game & then walked up to Fitzroy to have a few celebratory beers. Tried to watch the replay when I got back to mum’s but due to jetlag I was completely rooted & fell asleep. Finished watching the replay the next morning & then had to head back to the airport & fly home

Was a 52 hour return commute for 72 hours in Melbourne but was worth every second!!! Same feeling as 2017 but last time was a little more of a shock. Almost easier to lap it up this time as it felt slightly less surreal! An amazing day!

Devotion....

waiting

Tiger Legend
Apr 15, 2007
Victoria
I drove my wife and 3 kids, 3 hours early Friday morning to Melbourne so we could watch the AFL grand final parade. We then stayed at the Footy Festival afterwards. It was a great atmosphere and their were thousands there.

I had tickets to take the whole family to PRO. I had a GF ticket in a great spot that I forwarded on to a family member as I wanted to be with my two oldest children 12 and 9 who love the footy. Particularly my 9 year old son. After waiting at so many lines I decided that I would walk to Ticketek and get the GF ticket. While I left my wife and kids at the footy festival.

That night I went out with other members of my family and went out in Richmond. I had many beers to settle the nerves.

The next morning my wife wakes me and tells me that she thinks we have won 5 tickets to the AFL GF. I’m thinking it’s all a big joke. I was also a bit Dusty. Anyway what had happened was my 9 year old son was nagging my wife to put up a post on Instagram with Woolworths AFL grand final. Woolworths were having a competition to win 5 GF tickets for a family enjoying their site. You also had to have all the right hashtags.

I told my wife that we won’t tell the kids until we find out it’s all true that we had won the tickets. Anyway to cut a long story short it was real and my wife picked up the tickets at 9am. We then got the kids ready for PRO then filmed the moment when we told them we had won the tickets.

The seats were in a great location level 1. We were diehards (we are all members), amongst many corporates who seemed to jump on the GWS. It was the greatest whole family moment of my wife. Afterwards we all caught up with extended family outside the MCG.

I would like to thank Woolworths, my 9 year son who nagged my wife and my awesome wife for winning the tickets.

I know the corporates get too many tickets. But at least Woolworths gave them to a Richmond family.

MB you lucky man.

waiting

Tiger Legend
Apr 15, 2007
Victoria

My dad barracked for the Pies and i became a Tiger.

i remember the 1980 GF dad was chasing me around the kitchen table every time the Tigers scored a goal as i was giving him a KB hands in the air fist pump. Little was i to know i would have to wait 37 years to see another one.

• Haha
Reactions: 1 users

waiting

Tiger Legend
Apr 15, 2007
Victoria
Great thread.
Our supporter base runs so far and wide and the fact that we are spread all over the globe with such passion shows that we are No supported club in the AFL.

Here is mine.

Wasnt lucky with a ticket so my day began quite early.

Worked the night before and got home 5.45am. Slept for 45 mins , woke up, had breakfast, got the wife and son ready and off we went to catch the train into Richmond.

Arrived around 7.15am and there was aline up already outside the Superstore side.

Waited for some time before they opened the gates a little early and we walked in and we gathered near the clubrooms. Reporters and tv crew started arriving and getting into my personal space where i had clear view of the players coming out of the club rooms so i could take some pics to post. Made it hard to take pics but it was still great seeing the boys come out and have fun.

Then we went to the parade and had pretty good vantage point close to the stageon the right of it.

Saw the players drive past in their cars but my wife who is tiny was able to get to the front and take pics as the players drove past.

Was buggered and left once all the players from both sides went past as my son had two bob each way as he has a soft spot for the Giants. Like their colors and theme song.

The day of the GF was going to be a quiet unlike 2017, but my close friend who we spent together at my place in 17 invited me to his house in the country (Lynbrook) to watch it with his two sons , wife and Pies supporter friend.

Nervous as hell that first 20 mins or so as we were doing all the attacking for little reward and when Cameron nailed his kick from 50 and really not many went to him of his team mates , enter Rioli and our boys got around him i was a little calmer.

Then the game just became a party for me.
I was delirious with excitement. Every was calling it before half time that it was ours but i still held back a little .

Come the third, i called it and then it became who would win the Norm Smith!

Pickett
Dusty
Jack
Houli

How much we would win buy. ! I had us over a 100 pts. Bloody Georgie Boy..

Just a great day with people i love and enjoyed their company, made sweeter by our second flag in 3 years.

Reactions: 5 users

eZyT

Tiger Legend
Jun 28, 2019
On the Friday night, I was really nervous and restless.

so I said to snake 'I'm going to the races'

I put on my No.50 jumper and jumped on the 39 tram to Mooney Valley.

I rolled in 10 minutes before race 6 and backed Loving Gaby,

who won by 2 lengths at 5-1

I became 80% sure we had our 12th premiership

with the winnings and the excitement , I tipped in 5 cans of rum and coke.

and decided against having another bet and using up my luck quota.

I was in the mounting yard, eyeing of some quality horses before the group 1 when young Jack Higgins

came up and tapped me on the shoulder. We had a good yarn about horses.

then I went home to bed and the caffeine in the R&C kept me staring at the ceiling until 5am.

had 2 hours sleep, then me and snake caught a tram up to Vic market and had a delicious coffee and a polish donut

like a cross between a canoli and a donut.

there was a bloke on the tram who snake thought was speaking a forgotten language of Mongolia - he sounded like Yoda had been dubbed in another language.

but he was speaking English and I had tears rolling down my cheeks I was suppressing such a huge laugh

we agreed it was the best breakfast we could imagine.

then we grabbed some oysters - some off the rocks near Toby Nankervis's joint and some from near Shane Edwards place,

and headed to Caesars Palace for a BBQ with some PRE'ers

I was too nervy and went into the G with easy jr about 11.00am.

On the way in, easy. jr insisted we follow our 2017 routine to the letter.

this involved giving a homeless person or busker $20 and buying 6 jam donuts and offering one to the turnstile lady as we went in.

In 2017, she politely declined. I said too easy.jr.

'What if she wants one?'

and he goes

'run'

then we won the flag.

• Haha
Reactions: 5 users

JimJessTorp

Barrels it!
May 20, 2009
An armchair in Sydney
After the Tiges demolished Geelol in the prelim, and watching the Plastic Fantastic fall over the line against the Scabbies I was really confident.

Then the media got involved.

Being based in Sydney every GF related story was about the Giants and their big, big sound.

Even the Vic media got on a Giants roll and by Tuesday my confidence was wearing thin.

Thursday, my birthday, and a friend at work delivered me some helium filled birthday balloons in Tigers Colours! Surely an omen?

Come Friday and I thought we'd be in for a difficult game. I still thought we'd win, and even posted as much on this board But the media induced doubts were roosting in my mind like chickens in a hen coop worried about the fox sniffing around outside.

A couple of whiskys and a good book (Book one of the Expanse series by Steven S. Corey), a midnight bed time, followed by 6 hours of sleep till the bloody cat woke me up demanding food.

Did the shopping Saturday morning.

Trawled the PRE forums - didn't help my nerves as a couple of dark-siders were on their game :)

Then had lunch and I finally turned the TV on at 2:20pm. Unfortunately I didn't miss the national anthem but the mute button dealt with that shiat. Fortunately I did miss all the pre-game media crap-on, and the pregame "entertainment".

Took my pulse. 130bpm.

By the end of the 1st quarter I knew we were going to be OK.

Pulse 120bpm.

Half way through the 2nd quarter I knew we would win, bar something particularly "Richmondy" happening.

Pulse 110bpm.

Half-time. It had now become "by how much?"

By the end of the half-time break my pulse was back down to about 80bpm.

And I just enjoyed the footy.

At least I can say I've seen a Tigers training run now.

Didn't cry like I did in 2017. Just a double-cobra when Dimma and Trent held up number 12!

:cupgold :gotiges

Reactions: 4 users

graystar1

Tiger Legend
Apr 28, 2004
Wow!!

These stories are just great. How good it is to be a Tiger these days.

Another little anecdote.

I have 5 daughters and one son.

Son had to work so he did not get to see the game in any form...and he is a die hard Tiger since childhood.

All the daughters are mad Tigers, just like father. Apart from one daughter who is married to an ex pat Pom, so has divided loyalties to Rugby, not ARL, just Rugby.

The other three daughters all got together at Narooma where two live, and had a ball with drinks aplenty and watched the game ecstatically.

One son-in-law is Carlton and another is a Saints supporter so not sure how the enjoyed the spectacle. Poor misguided souls they are.

Anyway, thanks to everyone who responded to this thread and enjoyed reading them all.

zippadeee

Tiger Legend
Oct 8, 2004
Whats the Guineas Book of Records of watching a GF in one single day?
I could go close...

• Haha

Mr Brightside

Tiger Legend
Jul 1, 2005
Wang
I wish I had the vocabulary of Dyer ere or TOT, but I don’t , however a couple small great moments I enjoyed on my own was the walking back from Swan st to my hotel and hearing all the versions of the club song and the sea of yellow an black, the other was both on the Saturday and Sunday mornings walking through the streets of Richmond and a lap of the G with very very few people around, was strangely similar on both mornings, Saturday I had a little more nerves, however both mornings gave me a sense of calm and achievement in what our Mighty Tiges haddone again. For some reason this flag was a real stick it up ya to the rest of the footy world , we are the undisputed champions again.

Reactions: 2 users

Mr Brightside

Tiger Legend
Jul 1, 2005
Wang
On the Friday night, I was really nervous and restless.

so I said to snake 'I'm going to the races'

I put on my No.50 jumper and jumped on the 39 tram to Mooney Valley.

I rolled in 10 minutes before race 6 and backed Loving Gaby,

who won by 2 lengths at 5-1

I became 80% sure we had our 12th premiership

with the winnings and the excitement , I tipped in 5 cans of rum and coke.

and decided against having another bet and using up my luck quota.

I was in the mounting yard, eyeing of some quality horses before the group 1 when young Jack Higgins

came up and tapped me on the shoulder. We had a good yarn about horses.

then I went home to bed and the caffeine in the R&C kept me staring at the ceiling until 5am.

had 2 hours sleep, then me and snake caught a tram up to Vic market and had a delicious coffee and a polish donut

like a cross between a canoli and a donut.

there was a bloke on the tram who snake thought was speaking a forgotten language of Mongolia - he sounded like Yoda had been dubbed in another language.

but he was speaking English and I had tears rolling down my cheeks I was suppressing such a huge laugh

we agreed it was the best breakfast we could imagine.

then we grabbed some oysters - some off the rocks near Toby Nankervis's joint and some from near Shane Edwards place,

and headed to Caesars Palace for a BBQ with some PRE'ers

I was too nervy and went into the G with easy jr about 11.00am.

On the way in, easy. jr insisted we follow our 2017 routine to the letter.

this involved giving a homeless person or busker $20 and buying 6 jam donuts and offering one to the turnstile lady as we went in.

In 2017, she politely declined. I said too easy.jr.

'What if she wants one?'

and he goes

'run'

then we won the flag.
Very surprised Sunday 11am didn’t get a run in the highlights , pure gold some of that footage

• Love

Mr Brightside

Tiger Legend
Jul 1, 2005
Wang
After the Tiges demolished Geelol in the prelim, and watching the Plastic Fantastic fall over the line against the Scabbies I was really confident.

Then the media got involved.

Being based in Sydney every GF related story was about the Giants and their big, big sound.

Even the Vic media got on a Giants roll and by Tuesday my confidence was wearing thin.

Thursday, my birthday, and a friend at work delivered me some helium filled birthday balloons in Tigers Colours! Surely an omen?

Come Friday and I thought we'd be in for a difficult game. I still thought we'd win, and even posted as much on this board But the media induced doubts were roosting in my mind like chickens in a hen coop worried about the fox sniffing around outside.

A couple of whiskys and a good book (Book one of the Expanse series by Steven S. Corey), a midnight bed time, followed by 6 hours of sleep till the bloody cat woke me up demanding food.

Did the shopping Saturday morning.

Trawled the PRE forums - didn't help my nerves as a couple of dark-siders were on their game :)

Then had lunch and I finally turned the TV on at 2:20pm. Unfortunately I didn't miss the national anthem but the mute button dealt with that shiat. Fortunately I did miss all the pre-game media crap-on, and the pregame "entertainment".

Took my pulse. 130bpm.

By the end of the 1st quarter I knew we were going to be OK.

Pulse 120bpm.

Half way through the 2nd quarter I knew we would win, bar something particularly "Richmondy" happening.

Pulse 110bpm.

Half-time. It had now become "by how much?"

By the end of the half-time break my pulse was back down to about 80bpm.

And I just enjoyed the footy.

At least I can say I've seen a Tigers training run now.

Didn't cry like I did in 2017. Just a double-cobra when Dimma and Trent held up number 12!

:cupgold :gotiges
It’s funny how during game time the darksiders are on their ipads and the bright spiders are at the footy :))

• Haha

eZyT

Tiger Legend
Jun 28, 2019
Very surprised Sunday 11am didn’t get a run in the highlights , pure gold some of that footage

Yes. Ive nominated the 2nd jason castagne and Lachie Whitfield for the gold logie.

MCG 1100.

Ivan Soldo: snake
Marlion pickett: EZyT
Lachie Whitfield: unknown man in orange
Jason Castagne 1: EZyT jr.
Jason castagne 2: mr.b jr
Camera Mr.B.

• Love

graystar1

Tiger Legend
Apr 28, 2004
Wow!!

These stories are just great. How good it is to be a Tiger these days.

Another little anecdote.

I have 5 daughters and one son.

Son had to work so he did not get to see the game in any form...and he is a die hard Tiger since childhood.

All the daughters are mad Tigers, just like father. Apart from one daughter who is married to an ex pat Pom, so has divided loyalties to Rugby, not ARL, just Rugby.

The other three daughters all got together at Narooma where two live, and had a ball with drinks aplenty and watched the game ecstatically.

One son-in-law is Carlton and another is a Saints supporter so not sure how the enjoyed the spectacle. Poor misguided souls they are.

Anyway, thanks to everyone who responded to this thread and enjoyed reading them all.

Made a bit of a boo boo there.

My son, who is an exceptionally bright male, pointed out that I only have 4 daughters and one son, who happens to be the youngest.

Does not matter one bit they all enjoyed the Granny win.

• Haha
Reactions: 3 users