Dustin Martin | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Dustin Martin

kiwitiger

Go the AllBlacks, the Storm , and the Tigers.
Jul 28, 2004
It's become pretty obvious now. He also almost never gets near a centre tap as well.

I'm of the belief he shouldn't be playing full time or even majority time as a mid. He should be up forward kicking 50 goals a year to elongate his career. He has done enough in the guts for us.

But the cupboard is full of about to expire tins of ham and some baby carrots.

yeah i was thinking along similar lines watching the game the other night ,

I was always expecting year by year he would spend more and more time forward to the point where he may become full time forward near the finish , not go back the other way .

Reactions: 1 user

Tigers4

Tiger Rookie
Feb 5, 2022
Agree, but he's so good going the other way it shouldn't matter. His other far less illustrious colleagues should be stepping into the breach and they haven't.
he's a one way runner who'll be easily exploited if played as a full time mid.

Even when he spent 1/2 a game in the forward he had zero impact.

Martin needs players like Lambo, Edwards, Cotchin, Prestia etc to do the real work, heavy lifting, tackles so he can receive the ball. Younger kids aren’t doing that.

Spirit of Jack

Only a Tiger premiership can make 2020 a good year
Apr 19, 2004
he's a one way runner who'll be easily exploited if played as a full time mid.

Even when he spent 1/2 a game in the forward he had zero impact.

Martin needs players like Lambo, Edwards, Cotchin, Prestia etc to do the real work, heavy lifting, tackles so he can receive the ball. Younger kids aren’t doing that.
I reckon this is on the money for Dusty. We had the perfect game plan and personnel for a four year span - Dusty could play his role so well that he was inarguably the best player in the game. However the rules have changed, the game plans of others have adjusted - we have not and Dusty is no longer anywhere near the best player in the game.

Tigers4

Tiger Rookie
Feb 5, 2022
I reckon this is on the money for Dusty. We had the perfect game plan and personnel for a four year span - Dusty could play his role so well that he was inarguably the best player in the game. However the rules have changed, the game plans of others have adjusted - we have not and Dusty is no longer anywhere near the best player in the game.
Our game plan is one of the major issues we’ve had since 2020. We were very lucky to win the 2020. We really shouldn’t have based on how the games evolved.

Sintiger

Tiger Legend
Aug 11, 2010
Camberwell
Our game plan is one of the major issues we’ve had since 2020. We were very lucky to win the 2020. We really shouldn’t have based on how the games evolved.
Maybe the game was moving away from our style of footy but no way were we lucky to win the 2020 flag

Reactions: 7 users

Jason King

Forever the GOAT
Jul 19, 2007
Adelaide, South Australia
We played the wrong long game with Dusty. The ultimate role model was and is Mark Riccuito. An AA goal kicking forward who pinch hits in the guts.

Reactions: 1 users

St Kevin

Tiger Legend
Apr 1, 2014
We played the wrong long game with Dusty. The ultimate role model was and is Mark Riccuito. An AA goal kicking forward who pinch hits in the guts.

This is what bites the most of our lack of midfield investment / injuries / young guys not coming on.

Reactions: 2 users

UKTiger

Tiger Legend
Jul 11, 2010
Shipston on Stour, UK
Dusty is still not match fit so we can't expect too much but while we do not have a cohesive midfield who can work with the Ruck then we are stuffed. On Thursday when Nanks or Soldo got first use of the ball, the only mids in the guts wer the Blues.

BillyJean17

Tiger Champion
Jul 27, 2009
melbourne
Thought dusty cruised for much of the game rarely out of sec gear, there were signs in last Q that he woke up and put some yards in and we saw the dusty arc as he put the burners on , I think he’s still got it however we can’t afford to not have him in the midfield

tigertim

something funny is written here
Mar 6, 2004
I wonder if the gene pool stretches to cousins?

“Jed Denahy will also be one to watch. The Bendigo Pioneers prospect is the cousin of Richmond superstar and three-time Norm Smith medallist Martin and at 195cm can play all over the ground.”

• Wow
Reactions: 3 users

Tigers4

Tiger Rookie
Feb 5, 2022
Dusty is still not match fit so we can't expect too much but while we do not have a cohesive midfield who can work with the Ruck then we are stuffed. On Thursday when Nanks or Soldo got first use of the ball, the only mids in the guts wer the Blues.
If he isn’t match ready then he shouldn’t be playing. I don’t care who you are, if you’re not fit, you don’t play. Look at 2018 prelim

Reactions: 3 users

jb03

Tiger Legend
Jan 28, 2004
Melbourne
Unlikely to play this week due to personal issues.

GWS midfield is very strong - we might be in for a pumping.

• Sad

Tiger Superstar
Feb 28, 2008
Sadly his life has been flipped on its head with his father's death.
Unrealistic to think it wasn't going to have a profound impact on the lad.

• Sad
Reactions: 4 users

BrisTiger24

Out: Chimp In: Camel
Oct 16, 2003
Brisbane
*smile* me....this season is turning to *smile* already

Dusty, Jack, Vlastuin, Prestia out. Question marks on Bolton

Tigaman

Tiger Champion
May 23, 2010
Unlikely to play this week due to personal issues.

GWS midfield is very strong - we might be in for a pumping.
Just heard on radio in Perth. Having time away from club. With his injury last year & sudden death of his Dad good idea to go across the Ditch & have some time there which he has not been able to do.

BrisTiger24

Out: Chimp In: Camel
Oct 16, 2003
Brisbane
Just heard on radio in Perth. Having time away from club. With his injury last year & sudden death of his Dad good idea to go across the Ditch & have some time there which he has not been able to do.
I thought his old man was the only one over there. All other family is in Aust?

BT Tiger

Staff member
Jun 5, 2005
Warragul
When it rains it pours. No good for the club but I'm sure they'll give Dusty as much time as he needs.

Reactions: 1 users

tora

Tiger Rookie
Dec 10, 2021
If he isn’t match ready then he shouldn’t be playing. I don’t care who you are, if you’re not fit, you don’t play. Look at 2018 prelim
Dusty didn't look right and we selected Soldo and Graham too who didn't look 100%. We were fumbly, dropping marks. Just didn't seem as switched on as Carlton. The way we finished last season you'd think priority 1 would be to Win round 1. Show off the new game plan.
Maybe not?