Dustin Martin | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Dustin Martin

Dusty has earned a rare level of respect and goodwill from both club and supporters that it affords him the option to take personal leave with zero pressure to play because everyone genuinely just wants what's best for him.

That's pretty cool to see IMO. Sign of a great club.

Reactions: 11 users
I’m not even going to attempt to guess what pressure this champion is going through now.
But it makes me sick in the guts to think back to last week when he was getting booed by the scum supporters.

Reactions: 9 users
Unfortunately I had a feeling this would take place from the moment Shane passed away. Even more unfortunately I fear there is a fair bit more left to play out as well.

Fingers crossed the champ gets back to a place where he wants to play.

With you knowing Dustin personally. Do you think theres a chance if he wasn't enjoying his football, that he gives it away even with big money still on the table?

I assume between what he's earnt the last few years and his endorsements, if Ralph has managed him right and given him the right financial advisors, he is probably already set up for life.

Lets just get around our champ.

He's given us more than any of us thought possible.

Kia Kaha Dustin.

Reactions: 3 users
Lets just get around our champ.

He's given us more than any of us thought possible.

Kia Kaha Dustin.

Absolutely we should.

The entire Tiger army is with him no matter what decisions he makes, and however much support he needs.

Reactions: 2 users
Hopefully he is back and firing and in a better place with whatever ales him or issues that are in his world sorted should he desire to do so.

He has given many of us the greatest joy of our lifetimes following the RFC.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Took me at least 6 months to climb out of a deep funk when my dad passed.

Retirement or not aside, I’m not surprised if he’s still struggling. I’d be surprised if he wasn’t.
By the same token I wouldn’t be surprised if he comes out the other side stronger (whether still playing or not)

Reactions: 6 users
Took me at least 6 months to climb out of a deep funk when my dad passed.
I still haven't recovered from losing my dad 13 years ago.

I don't think you ever recover from losing a parent you just keep going and do your best.

• Sad
Reactions: 14 users
I still haven't recovered from losing my dad 13 years ago.

I don't think you ever recover from losing a parent you just keep going and do your best.

I lost my mum at 16 (I didn't live with my dad but had regular contact with him), which was a massive thing for me. I reckon it took me a good 15 years to really get over the feeling of loss

Reactions: 7 users
I lost my mum at 16 (I didn't live with my dad but had regular contact with him), which was a massive thing for me. I reckon it took me a good 15 years to really get over the feeling of loss
Both my parents have died (Dad in 2005 and Mum in 2009). I don’t think anyone ever fully recovers from that sort of loss. Dusty owes no one anything, and if this is it then he’s given us and the game more than we had a right to hope for.

Admitted to struggling for motivation after achieving it all in 2017, given what he has achieved since then and his father passing, it wouldn't be a shock. Seeing what Ash Barty did this week may have brought it to the front of his mind.

He may also see the writing on the wall with the tiger's prospects of success and likely rebuild over the remainder of his career and doesn't have the motivation to go again.

What will be, will be. He's given us so much more than we can ever give back to him. I hope he's able to get himself into a space where he's happy again, where ever that is.

Reactions: 5 users