Dustin Martin | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Dustin Martin

He bounced two through in the 2020 GF when the game was in the balance. It seems to be less risky for him than a drop punt. He doesn't seem to miss them.

Neither very comparable. The first one he couldn't get the purchase to carry it and the second he was 60m out and used the Gabba dew to skid it.

Neither of them are strolling into goal 40 metres out with plenty of time. Even with the wind it was a bit lairy.

• Haha
Reactions: 1 user
Neither very comparable. The first one he couldn't get the purchase to carry it and the second he was 60m out and used the Gabba dew to skid it.

Neither of them are strolling into goal 40 metres out with plenty of time. Even with the wind it was a bit lairy.
Dusty is a freak, the ball bounces the way he wants it to.

• Love
Reactions: 3 users
No love for the Bagger today. I'll give him some.
At 31 looks in insane condition.
His reading of what to do in fairly bog standard 50/50 situations is still light years the best in the comp. You just back him in every single time and you won't lose ya $ too often.
That cross-field squeeze kick holding off the Norf dude didnt amount to much, but he's basically the only AFL player that wouldve attempted it let alone almost pull it off.
The dribble goal .....the odds of that being kicked were calculated in my head in a nano sec, taking into account the ludicrous wind and the 2 Norf defenders bearing down, as approx 85/1. But no, Dusty just settled, worked out what needed to be done, and did it.
The effortless 45 snap again with the wind again being tackled.
What a joy its been having the great man for so many years, and he clearly has a bit more in the tank.

I would like to add that kick from Dusty running along the boundary. See Cotchin inside the 50 so Dusty kicks the ball sideways and slightly behind him. Was almost the perfect kick just goes over Cotchin's head.

Noone else would have thought about doing it let alone actually be skilled enough.

Reactions: 1 users
Dusty is not a high risk player IMHO. His skillset simply enables him to do things others cant. And Dusty's judgement of what type of kick to use, especially when kicking for goal, is basically the best of all time. I think the 2 2020GF "dribbles" are the perfect illustration of that. First one had to lob the defender, but knew a full blooded belt could skew. The second one was similar without the defender in the way, but was further out and being hammered so had to kick it hard, but not too hard. He's not bad Ol Duz.

Reactions: 2 users
Hope he starts first centre bounce just to give Blue boys a nervous twitch.
Prestia, Dusty, Taranto with Shai in next for some relief for the Blues

Reactions: 1 user
At Richmond, Dustin Martin still gets to decide whether he plays forward or in the midfield. “The last few years; we more or less let him do what he wants – he plays forward but is smart enough to make decisions on where he goes,” Tigers assistant Andrew McQualter said. “It will always be Dustin’s rules, but with some boundaries in place.”

That's fine when he's firing, but he hasn't done that for 18 months. I hope Dimma starts making him more accountable for how he impacts the game.

At Richmond, Dustin Martin still gets to decide whether he plays forward or in the midfield. “The last few years; we more or less let him do what he wants – he plays forward but is smart enough to make decisions on where he goes,” Tigers assistant Andrew McQualter said. “It will always be Dustin’s rules, but with some boundaries in place.”

That's fine when he's firing, but he hasn't done that for 18 months. I hope Dimma starts making him more accountable for how he impacts the game.

I don't think it is fine at any stage and never have. As much as I love and respect Dustin, letting a player run their own race is weak coaching. No-one is above the team.

Shane Warne bowled when his Captain said and didn't bowl when his Captain said, even though he didn't always agree. Denis Pagan wouldn't have copped Wayne Carey doing his own thing, even Malcolm Blight had the famous come with me or get off the bridge talk with Gary Ablett Snr.

Tell him to get into the centre square or say goodbye to our flag chances.

Jeepers, I’m glad Dusty shifted himself forward late in the 2nd quarter of 2020 GF. That goal that he kicked really gave us a lift and changed the momentum.

• Haha
Reactions: 1 users
In the old days when rucks and rovers changed in the forward pocket and ruck-rovers on the half-forward-flank, I'm pretty sure they called their own changes. KB would say to Bond, righto I need to kick a goal, you go have a run on-ball, or Lethal would say to Norm Goss, KB's flogging me, let me go kick 4 in a quarter and you chase him around.