Dustin Martin | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Dustin Martin

Dermie usually talks extremely slowly as if it's the most important thing that's ever been said by anyone. No matter how little sense it makes.

Now where is that Dermie thread?

• Haha
Reactions: 1 users
Dermie usually talks extremely slowly as if it's the most important thing that's ever been said by anyone. No matter how little sense it makes.

Now where is that Dermie thread?
I can't help liking Dermie though. Loved watching him play. What a gun.

• Love
Reactions: 7 users
I can't help liking Dermie though. Loved watching him play. What a gun.
Spot on
But in hindsight - the best thing about watching him play was that we weren’t listening to his commentary

• Haha
Reactions: 4 users
I don’t get the Dermie hate. The Martin call back in the day of him being a waddler gets brought up but he has definitely been very complimentary of the great man since then.

Give me Dermie anytime of the day then some of the other shock jocks out there.

• Love
Reactions: 12 users
I don’t get the Dermie hate. The Martin call back in the day of him being a waddler gets brought up but he has definitely been very complimentary of the great man since then.

He is a really likeable bloke Dermott. Not that I have met him but he comes from the same area I do, and I know loads of people who are familiar with him, never heard a bad word.
When I first heard his commentary I hated it because he often sounded to me like he was trying to hard to find insightful angles all the time. The more I have listened to him over the years however, the more I have come to appreciate his commentary. He has good integrity in his commentary, something you would struggle to say of too many other prominent football pundits. He often points out where players are cheating or more positive observations you would otherwise struggle to see or understand as a viewer. I give him full marks for that. That is a person attempting to do theor job properly. Sometimes of course he will be wrong on a player or team, but this is the nature of making any judgement, we are all prone to judging things incorrectly.

One insightful observation he brought to my attention that I did not previously understand was during 2017 in a period where things could have gone either way for Richmond he said some of the quick Tiger runners like Butler, Rioli, Lambert, Castagna also had elite endurance, and this would likely carry the team a long way. This was maybe rd 10. Other members of the commentary panel didn’t want to know about it because it didn’t fit the stupid things they were focussing on, like “Richmondy” losses and so forth.
As a commentator and pundit I equate Dermott to excellent cricket commentators like Tony Greig and David Lloyd. They, like Dermott, were good because they have a natural warmth towards people, and they are genuinely interested in the sport they are commenting on and not just themselves.

• Love
Reactions: 10 users
He is a really likeable bloke Dermott. Not that I have met him but he comes from the same area I do, and I know loads of people who are familiar with him, never heard a bad word.
When I first heard his commentary I hated it because he often sounded to me like he was trying to hard to find insightful angles all the time. The more I have listened to him over the years however, the more I have come to appreciate his commentary. He has good integrity in his commentary, something you would struggle to say of too many other prominent football pundits. He often points out where players are cheating or more positive observations you would otherwise struggle to see or understand as a viewer. I give him full marks for that. That is a person attempting to do theor job properly. Sometimes of course he will be wrong on a player or team, but this is the nature of making any judgement, we are all prone to judging things incorrectly.

One insightful observation he brought to my attention that I did not previously understand was during 2017 in a period where things could have gone either way for Richmond he said some of the quick Tiger runners like Butler, Rioli, Lambert, Castagna also had elite endurance, and this would likely carry the team a long way. This was maybe rd 10. Other members of the commentary panel didn’t want to know about it because it didn’t fit the stupid things they were focussing on, like “Richmondy” losses and so forth.
As a commentator and pundit I equate Dermott to excellent cricket commentators like Tony Greig and David Lloyd. They, like Dermott, were good because they have a natural warmth towards people, and they are genuinely interested in the sport they are commenting on and not just themselves.
Lol you mentioned Tony Greig and I almost burst ot laughing as I immediately thought of his famous explanation of "the blockhole"...

(Spoken in his wonderful Sar Thafrikan accent of course...)

"Nair, tharse ef yews who darn knaiw whair the blark hole is, it's thar wan whair thar ball is deliverd raaaht arp thair in thar blark hole"

Thanks Tony, that explains it lol

Classic.

• Haha
Reactions: 4 users
Lol you mentioned Tony Greig and I almost burst ot laughing as I immediately thought of his famous explanation of "the blockhole"...

"Nair, tharse ef yews who darn knaiw whair the blark hole is, it's thar wan whair thar ball is deliverd raaaht arp thair in thar blark hole"

Classic.
Loved Tony Greig. Ever since a fabulous afternoon and evening at the MCG back in the days when Bay 13 was real thing. Mid/Late 80's I reckon it was. One dayer between Aus and the Windies. Old mate came out to do his pre-game pitch report and Bay13 was chockers. They started the "Tony's a wanka" chant which meant he couldn't do the piece to camera without it being heard. So he waitied for them to quieten down - But it just kept on going. In the end he asked the camera bloke to point his camera at Bay13, which erupted into a massive cheer! After which Tony was allowed to do his pitch report in relative silence.

Reactions: 3 users
I have met Dermie probably 20 times and have even had many drinks with him at clubs back in the crazy years

sure he was a 'look at me' type of guy buy who wouldnt have been if we were in his position
AFL footballer that has fame money and toys and all the girls throwing them selfs at him and all the bouncers sucking up his rear and giving him unlimited access to what he wanted

He is a good bloke and usually spot on with things football except the dusty waddler comments but he has owned that mistake for 10 years now along with other things he has said

I would take Dermie over clowns like Karen , Robo , whately , lyon etc

• Love
Reactions: 13 users

Classic.

Reminds me of a similar piece of instructive comment from Rob Gaylard who used to cover the harness races for channel 31 around the turn of the century. He was forever going on about any horse sprinting to the line and taking ground off the field as “letting down.”

One night the imbecile decides he will explain this phrase “lets down” to us dumb viewers. I thought this will be good. He then goes on to explain straigh-faced: " just for the benefit of our viewers when we say a horse is letting down what we mean is it just sort of really digs deep and reaches out and lets down.” Always honourably humble, he adds something to this effect, “hopefully that helps all our viewers out there and makes clear what we mean when we say a horse lets down. “

Fine specimen of a human being.

• Haha

He's a great bloke. And he's right about the waddler, at a certain point that arse is going to expand enormously. :ROFLMAO:

• Haha
Brereton is right in 1 way we can't just rely on Martin to be our match winner again.
But to say that he won't get to level again is a bit far fetched because before last year he missed 3 games in 10 years and 1 was a club imposed suspension.
Last year he was spent.
I'm expecting Dusty to torment the opposition.
Just ask WC in that 1st half Last year at the G. He was at 60% and he ripped them a new one.
My mate reckons he looks the fittest he has been in at this time of year ever.
Dusty, Riewodt, Lynch, Rioli & Clarke will cause nightmares for the opposition

Brereton is right in 1 way we can't just rely on Martin to be our match winner again.
But to say that he won't get to level again is a bit far fetched because before last year he missed 3 games in 10 years and 1 was a club imposed suspension.
Last year he was spent.
I'm expecting Dusty to torment the opposition.
Just ask WC in that 1st half Last year at the G. He was at 60% and he ripped them a new one.
Dusty, Riewodt, Lynch, Rioli & Clarke will cause nightmares for the opposition
Not to mention Cotchin, Bolton and Cumberland

This is all I wanna hear. Dusty looking fit and ready to go. Last year proved we can play well without a lot of output from Dusty. But if the output is high, then we can beat anyone anywhere.

Reactions: 3 users