Dustin Martin | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Dustin Martin

Yeah, I'm confused by it all. I think he is a very slim chance to play.

Six day break, they rest Short who is younger had less injury history but MIGHT put Dustin on the park this week?

Feels disjointed.
Short had a calf the other week. Apples and oranges . They may have stuffed up management of one or both, but they are different circumstances

Can you elaborate?

They keep talking about how they were making a decision about management during the game factoring in the six day break and his history but then there is talk of him having some awareness, he has a scan and may or not play this week.

My issue is it is either half arsed preparation or terrible management of him.

All of the factors were on the table before the game regarding his age, history and the 6 day break so why is there discussion about management going on? It's not like the phone rang half way through the last quarter and the news came through we were playing Friday night so quick get him off.

That stuff should be planned and prepared and be the last thing you are working about during a game. If they were managing him it should be right Dustin will play X minutes this week and then be subbed.

The other scenario is that he was fine before the game, no management considered or required and then had an issue with his hamstring during the game. If that is the case then again, no discussion required, off he comes and he doesn't play this week.

I'm wondering if they are hedging because they are feeling pressure from the likes of Kane Cornes questioning the injuries and if that is the case then it's a real concern because you have to be able to stand more heat than that.

It all just seems very illogical and disjointed and quite amateur to be brutally honest.

Reactions: 1 users
Be interested in your thoughts on the above Craigo?

The fact that Dustin had been so durable and never really been affected by soft tissues allowed for some wriggle room in regard to how they've managed his hamstring from last year as he had no previous experience in regard to how he felt physically, and understandably they may have got it wrong bringing him back early to have it go again, as Dustin might've thought he was ready to go.

As for this, If the club was hedging on playing him then subbing him, for management / load insurance or at worst possible niggle, they probably should've just left him in Melbourne to prepare for this week.

Agreed no need for ducks and drakes if he's had some awareness during the game but was fine going into it.

He's been for a scan so there is a reason, if there's a niggle there or a slight issue then just say yep he's got a bit of awareness and he wont be playing this week.

Then he rehabs accordingly.

Reactions: 2 users
I'm wondering if they are hedging because they are feeling pressure from the likes of Kane Cornes questioning the injuries and if that is the case then it's a real concern because you have to be able to stand more heat than that.

:rotfl1

I really dont think the club pay much attention to what Cornholio says TBR!!!

Reactions: 1 user
They keep talking about how they were making a decision about management during the game factoring in the six day break and his history but then there is talk of him having some awareness, he has a scan and may or not play this week.

My issue is it is either half arsed preparation or terrible management of him.

All of the factors were on the table before the game regarding his age, history and the 6 day break so why is there discussion about management going on? It's not like the phone rang half way through the last quarter and the news came through we were playing Friday night so quick get him off.

That stuff should be planned and prepared and be the last thing you are working about during a game. If they were managing him it should be right Dustin will play X minutes this week and then be subbed.

The other scenario is that he was fine before the game, no management considered or required and then had an issue with his hamstring during the game. If that is the case then again, no discussion required, off he comes and he doesn't play this week.

It all just seems very illogical and disjointed and quite amateur to be brutally honest.
No worries, I think it is your ‘The other scenario’ paragraph, and Hardwick ballsed up the Presser a little bit.

Also what Craig said about Dusty’s own inexperience with these tight strings and perhaps struggles to communicate well what he is feeling in it

The fact that Dustin had been so durable and never really been affected by soft tissues allowed for some wriggle room in regard to how they've managed his hamstring from last year as he had no previous experience in regard to how he felt physically, and understandably they may have got it wrong bringing him back early to have it go again, as Dustin might've thought he was ready to go.

As for this, If the club was hedging on playing him then subbing him, for management / load insurance or at worst possible niggle, they probably should've just left him in Melbourne to prepare for this week.

Agreed no need for ducks and drakes if he's had some awareness during the game but was fine going into it.

He's been for a scan so there is a reason, if there's a niggle there or a slight issue then just say yep he's got a bit of awareness and he wont be playing this week.

Then he rehabs accordingly.
So what’s awareness ? A tight back that causes stiffness in the leg ?

It saddens me to think that we may have seen the best of the great man, Father Time catches up with everyone :cry:
I'm afraid that ship sailed in 2020. All great things must come to an end and we knew that we had to provide a pension plan in his contract to keep Ralph happy.

Reactions: 1 user
Agree its strange. I think its clear he's carrying something, even in Round 1, I thought he looked good, until the times he tried to burst with power away from someone. That customary burst of power that we see with him wasn't there.

I'm convinced he's carrying some sort of hip / quad or glute issue that is restricting his ability to generate that power.