Dylan Grimes JDM | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Dylan Grimes JDM

Little Ziggyadee

Tiger Legend
Dec 30, 2021
He has dropped off and I wonder about a couple of things. Losing players around him, Gibcus and Tarrant at the moment, means he has too much to do. Plus, not sure he is suited to the captaincy, too much of a burden?

It is entirely possible that he can get back to better form with more support around him, the defence works as a team and is clearly affected by absences, and without the burden of the captaincy.

DS
Don't worry about captaincy.
He looks like he is spent.
Not sure he needed captain next his name.
He hasn't shown anything from the outside that as a Captain he can influence the group. Cotchin was the one talking to the players on the ground and on the bench.
I feel for him because he its a 1 man show down there.
Big V is cooked
Balta is Rance in game 6
Young & Miller aren't Astbury and Houli
And Baker and Roili are busting there guts out trying to rebound.
Grimes should retire at years end alongside Cotchin Riewoldt and Nakas.

leon

Tiger Legend
Apr 6, 2014
4 or 5 years of joy!
There is no way he's going to make 300. Although I believe he is still young enough to make an effective contribution; turn his form around. ATM, he is below average in disposals (both kicks and HBs), spoils and intercept marks. Only above av in tackles, so when opponents have the ball.

Not the same player he was, clearly struggling to have impact.

Reactions: 1 user
Jul 26, 2004
www.redbubble.com
I've said it before but I think he's playing within himself due to a lack of confidence in his body after the hamstring injuries.
it's more than a few shocking kicks. Everything just seems 10-15 percent off his best when he was an elite player.
It's not that he's going badly, just that it's not the Grimesy we fell in love with.
In particular his intercept marking has dropped right away & he's playing more one on one style stopping type roles that he did early in his career.
Not peeling off as much to help. Not making as many contests. Not breaking his neck like his life depends on it.
You'll find few bigger fans of Dylan than me over the journey but at 31 years of age & with a rebuild underway I don't think he's got another year in him that a younger player like Young, Browne or Biggy won't deliver next season.
He's done it all & had a brilliant career but time just about up for the champ unfortunately. Happens to the best of them.

Reactions: 3 users

leon

Tiger Legend
Apr 6, 2014
I've said it before but I think he's playing within himself due to a lack of confidence in his body after the hamstring injuries.
it's more than a few shocking kicks. Everything just seems 10-15 percent off his best when he was an elite player.
It's not that he's going badly, just that it's not the Grimesy we fell in love with.
In particular his intercept marking has dropped right away & he's playing more one on one style stopping type roles that he did early in his career.
Not peeling off as much to help. Not making as many contests. Not breaking his neck like his life depends on it.
You'll find few bigger fans of Dylan than me over the journey but at 31 years of age & with a rebuild underway I don't think he's got another year in him that a younger player like Young, Browne or Biggy won't deliver next season.
He's done it all & had a brilliant career but time just about up for the champ unfortunately. Happens to the best of them.

I hope you're wrong but fear you're right. I've wondered about the shift of Bauer down back in the VFL side too. Is that a hint of requiring a Grimes replacement 2024?

Running a demanding business with his winery could well have affected his whole football outlook IMHO.

Redford

Tiger Legend
Dec 18, 2002
Tel Aviv
Spoke incredibly well. Smart, articulate.

Great bloke Dylan.

Said we show bits and pieces of being a top 8 team but obviously, by any measure, we are falling down up forward and are inconsistent. Said nearly half the team now has never played in a premiership, we have new coaches etc. so it’s almost like a new club in some respects.

year of the tiger

Tiger Legend
Mar 26, 2008
Tasmania
Spoke incredibly well. Smart, articulate.

Great bloke Dylan.

Said we show bits and pieces of being a top 8 team but obviously, by any measure, we are falling down up forward and are inconsistent. Said nearly half the team now has never played in a premiership, we have new coaches etc. so it’s almost like a new club in some respects.

:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO: Spoken like a true defender - the problems are with the forwards

• Haha

year of the tiger

Tiger Legend
Mar 26, 2008
Tasmania
Vlas started to warm up last week and found some form - time for Grimesy baby to relax into the next 18 months and focus on following Vlas with his form.

I wonder if Nank will take the matel on his own next year.

mrposhman

Tiger Legend
Oct 6, 2013
Grimes is still comparing well to others, I think its a bit of the Dusty effect, because he's been so good, even his average is broadly in line with the comp.

Dylan has a 25% CDL%, better than players like Alex Pearce, Steven May, Alir Alirr (who is apparently in AA running) and many others, its just he's been so good, we think he has to stay at that level for ever. Time does creep up, but it doesn't mean he's crap and "ready to retire". Much the same as Jack who still ranks as joint 20th for average goals per game, we just see them as not being as good because of how good they were in their prime.

They are all still playing good footy, but obviously slightly off their best.

CDL% for Dylan by year shows this (25% is still good but look at his history).

2017 - 22.6%, 2018 - 18.3%, 2019 - 20.7%, 2020 - 18.6%, 2021 - 24.6%, 2022 - 12.5%, 2023 - 25.0%

saigon tiger

Tiger Superstar
Jun 4, 2010
Grimes is still comparing well to others, I think its a bit of the Dusty effect, because he's been so good, even his average is broadly in line with the comp.

Dylan has a 25% CDL%, better than players like Alex Pearce, Steven May, Alir Alirr (who is apparently in AA running) and many others, its just he's been so good, we think he has to stay at that level for ever. Time does creep up, but it doesn't mean he's crap and "ready to retire". Much the same as Jack who still ranks as joint 20th for average goals per game, we just see them as not being as good because of how good they were in their prime.

They are all still playing good footy, but obviously slightly off their best.

CDL% for Dylan by year shows this (25% is still good but look at his history).

2017 - 22.6%, 2018 - 18.3%, 2019 - 20.7%, 2020 - 18.6%, 2021 - 24.6%, 2022 - 12.5%, 2023 - 25.0%
What the bloody heck is a CDL. All I know is he is a heart and soul footballer HS 100%

Baloo

Delisted Free Agent
Nov 8, 2005

Yep. You used to watch the game and if Optimus was getting to a contest you felt confident the worst he'd do is half it. Now we're not so confident.

Ian4

BIN MAN!
May 6, 2004
Melbourne
I’m not against Grimes playing on next year, but I do feel the club could have waited a bit longer. What’s the rush?

Baloo

Delisted Free Agent
Nov 8, 2005
I’m not against Grimes playing on next year, but I do feel the club could have waited a bit longer. What’s the rush?
When both parties come to an agreement and are happy with it, why wait?

Reactions: 5 users

TigerForce

Tiger Legend
Apr 26, 2004
Dimma said: "Dylan's a bit flat he didn't get the 2 years".....meaning the 1 year term is the only offer to the older players.

Reactions: 1 users