Dylan Grimes JDM | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Dylan Grimes JDM

year of the tiger

Tiger Legend
Mar 26, 2008
Tasmania
Fair enough losing Jack Cotch leadership and Tarrant in one go is huge
Grimes should go around again in 2024

Agree - if Jack and Cotch retire this year, then Grimes the year after maybe to space them out and help the transition.

It wouldn’t surprise me if we have already seen the last of Tarrent, like we did with Lambert the year before.

Prestia is the other one whom I reckon Father Time will come suddenly when it does with little warning.

Reactions: 2 users

TigerFlag2017

Tiger Legend
May 16, 2007
I would be curious to know how many goals were actually kicked on him by his opponents last night.

Gone from an amazing stopper to being completely ineffective

I remember Astbury saying on his retirement that he became scared to get the ball. Grimes looks the same at the moment.

Reactions: 1 user

Tenacious Tiges

I remember when Balmey just thugged them .....
Apr 11, 2003
Backline is a unit. Too many keys missing from best unit atm to judge the individuals when the ball is flying in there all the time and we have spuds filling the holes.

CarnTheTiges

This is a REAL tiger
Mar 8, 2004
Victoria
I think age and injury has caught up with Grimes. Will hurt to lose him, but he will always be a triple Premiership Tiger legend!

Reactions: 1 users

Ghost of 29

Handball - its just a fad!!
Aug 16, 2008
Time waits for no one and sadly it ain’t waiting for Dylan. This cliff was always coming

BT Tiger

Staff member
Jun 5, 2005
Warragul
He still has something to offer, even if he's not playing at the level we hope. I did tip him to retire by the end of this season but he announced he wants to play on and we'd be silly not to play him if that's the case. Hopefully will improve when Broad returns.

Jul 26, 2004
www.redbubble.com
Time waits for no one and sadly it ain’t waiting for Dylan. This cliff was always coming
The recurrence of his troubled hamstring history was the beginning of it. Whilst there are still signs of the old Dylan, he hasn't looked the same player since the setbacks at the start of last year.

You only need to be 10% off your best in this league & you come back to the pack pretty quickly.
We're seeing that now with quite a few of our vets.

The younger players are the ones that need to fill hole that 10% with improvement.
If they can't then we start to regress.

Reactions: 3 users

TheUmpire

Tiger Rookie
Sep 30, 2003
He's a real worry at the moment.

I'm not sure if my eyes deceived me, but with about 9 minutes to go in the third quarter it seemed like he had a quick look and decided not to go.

Not sure where he's at right now, but he was diabolical on Friday night. Worst on ground.

gutfull

Tiger Superstar
Jul 6, 2013
Needs to retire years end .
Remember Gibcus, Short , and Broad are not playing ( Tarrant ) big holes to fill .

Carter

Tiger Legend
Nov 14, 2012
so let's talk about Grimes, our sole captain at the moment.

i reckon he's moved into the 'Dave Astbury' phase of his career. spoil, nullify, do all the defensive things, but don't really want the ball in your hands.

Dave is on record as saying he "didn't want the ball" towards the tail end of his career - I see something similar with Dylan. His instinct for an uber-aggressive intercept has gone. he is hesitant, unsure, prone to fumbly errors and brain fades.

all i can say is josh gibcus can't return quickly enough. we miss him more than we think.

dylan is a late-career Dave Astbury now and that's OK.

but he is also captain. right now I would say he is not the best choice.

Scoop

Tiger Legend
Dec 8, 2004
so let's talk about Grimes, our sole captain at the moment.

i reckon he's moved into the 'Dave Astbury' phase of his career. spoil, nullify, do all the defensive things, but don't really want the ball in your hands.

Dave is on record as saying he "didn't want the ball" towards the tail end of his career - I see something similar with Dylan. His instinct for an uber-aggressive intercept has gone. he is hesitant, unsure, prone to fumbly errors and brain fades.

all i can say is josh gibcus can't return quickly enough. we miss him more than we think.

dylan is a late-career Dave Astbury now and that's OK.

but he is also captain. right now I would say he is not the best choice.
It's hard to argue with any of this. But he is our sole captain right now so he should be treated with more dignity than most, don't want another circus. I want to see the back six with Broad, Short, Gibcus and hopefully, Tarrant to see if he has any of that uber-aggressive intercept juice in him.

Brodders17

Tiger Legend
Mar 21, 2008
It's hard to argue with any of this. But he is our sole captain right now so he should be treated with more dignity than most, don't want another circus. I want to see the back six with Broad, Short, Gibcus and hopefully, Tarrant to see if he has any of that uber-aggressive intercept juice in him.
I wouldnt be surprised if he misses (rested not dropped) this week with Broad coming back.

Carter

Tiger Legend
Nov 14, 2012
agreed Scooper

to be clear, I wouldn't have Grub out, all the captain stuff aside he still has a role to play as organiser and steady hand.

he just isn't bringing what he all hoped and expected from him. fine - we adjust.

gibcus and tarrant will reshape that back division and it can't come soon enough.

Scoop

Tiger Legend
Dec 8, 2004
agreed Scooper

to be clear, I wouldn't have Grub out, all the captain stuff aside he still has a role to play as organiser and steady hand.

he just isn't bringing what he all hoped and expected from him. fine - we adjust.

gibcus and tarrant will reshape that back division and it can't come soon enough.
I'm not sure Tarrant will actually come back at all, it's more hope at this stage.

But even with Broad and Gibcus in, there is more aerial support. I think Grimes, Balta and Vlastuin would benefit from this, we need to go back to intercepting Richmond football. If you got five guys who can support each other and are always looking to peel off then things look vastly different. Give me those 5 plus Short, Rioli and Baker running it out and I feel better.

Reactions: 2 users

Tiger Superstar
Feb 28, 2008
I know he has indicated he wants to go on next year, but based on current form Dylan should retire at the end of this season.

Reactions: 3 users