Eddie McGuire | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Eddie McGuire

Rosy

Tiger Legend
Mar 27, 2003
tigertim said:
And here's the irony. I'm not trying to pot DDT but here's a "joke" a poster has made about Semtexing Eddies car.

The only "outcry" from PRE was a another poster who agreed.

Seems we need to be told when we should be "fauxtraged".

I reckon I could go through all the PRE posters and find a "joke" about performing a violent act upon someone else.

I'd like to know what my example was.

Haha I don't even know what semtexting a car means. Is it akin to talk of drowning someone?

tigertim

something funny is written here
Mar 6, 2004
rosy23 said:
I'd like to know what my example was.

Haha I don't even know what semtexting a car means. Is it akin to talk of drowning someone?

Semtexing is "blowing up"

TigerForce

Tiger Legend
Apr 26, 2004
rosy23 said:
What did he say to indicate that. There is a difference between professional criticism and implied violence and abuse.

McGuire was condemned on social media for saying he would pay $50,000 to see Wilson stay under a pool of iced water and charge an extra $10,000 for "everyone to stand around the outside and bomb her".

http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-news/eddie-mcguire-says-caroline-wilson-ice-pool-gibe-was-in-the-spirit-of-the-fun-of-the-day-20160619-gpmwfo.html#ixzz4C5WVTGiK

The 'bomb her' part clearly shows his spite against her criticism of him but I very much doubt there was any intention of violence. This is a continuous media war between them and Caro should stop sooking. I can't see any personal offense made against her (i.e. fat, ugly, old, dumb etc..)

IanG

Tiger Legend
Sep 27, 2004
Melbourne
tigertim said:
And here's the irony. I'm not trying to pot DDT but here's a "joke" a poster has made about Semtexing Eddies car.

The only "outcry" from PRE was a another poster who agreed.

Seems we need to be told when we should be "fauxtraged".

I reckon I could go through all the PRE posters and find a "joke" about performing a violent act upon someone else.

He referred to Eddie's car not Eddie himself. And with Eddie's remarks they weren't made in a vacuum, they were made at a time when domestic violence is a huge issue and the AFL has just created a professional womens league. And would he have said them about a male journalist? I doubt it, I can't remember him making similar remarks about male journalists.

TigerForce said:
This is a continuous media war between them and Caro should stop sooking.

You should note that Caro wasn't the one who made an issue out of this.

spook

Kick the f*ckin' goal
Jun 18, 2007
Melbourne
LeeToRainesToRoach said:
I've read a few times this morning that McGuire is Australia's Donald Trump. That made me laugh.
Why? They've both got big mouths in which they keep shoving their feet, they're both populists, both bullies. Trump has even been accused of being a liberal in the past.

Anyway, McGuire's a *smile*. Brayshaw's *smile*-lite.

Tony Braxton-Hicks

There are no stupid ideas, just stupid people
Aug 10, 2004
The Playboy Mansion
TigerForce said:
McGuire was condemned on social media for saying he would pay $50,000 to see Wilson stay under a pool of iced water and charge an extra $10,000 for "everyone to stand around the outside and bomb her".

http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-news/eddie-mcguire-says-caroline-wilson-ice-pool-gibe-was-in-the-spirit-of-the-fun-of-the-day-20160619-gpmwfo.html#ixzz4C5WVTGiK

The 'bomb her' part clearly shows his spite against her criticism of him but I very much doubt there was any intention of violence. This is a continuous media war between them and Caro should stop sooking. I can't see any personal offense made against her (i.e. fat, ugly, old, dumb etc..)

Perhaps, then, direct your anger at Eddie for charging $10,000. Did he tender for the rights to this entertainment event? Does Caro get a cut of the admission fees or just an MEAA award rate?

Baloo

Delisted Free Agent
Nov 8, 2005
TigerForce said:

The bit about holding her under is the worst bit. But while that could have been "jokey", all humour is removed when he goes on to call her a black widow who will suck you in and then turn on you. That line gave the "joke" a context which made it not funny

jb03

Tiger Legend
Jan 28, 2004
Melbourne
No matter what your opinion of this fiasco it is hard to argue that the AFL isn't simply all talk an no action.

artball

labels are for canned food
Jul 30, 2013
What McGuire, Brayshaw and Frawley initiated is basically a Death Threat.

and we are talking about a president and chairman of AFL clubs?? F'n morons should be sacked.

tigertim

Mar 6, 2004
IanG said:
What did Tony Shaw actually say?

ETA so it appears he also referred to holding her under, he should face the same sanctions.

Yeah, just heard what T Shaw said re "hold her under"

Geez, he must be glad the heat is only on Eddie and Brayshaw.

LeeToRainesToRoach

Tiger Legend
Jun 4, 2006
Melbourne
jb03 said:
No matter what your opinion of this fiasco it is hard to argue that the AFL isn't simply all talk an no action.

They're the big losers. Plenty of people already thought Eddie was a *smile*. Those who've bought into AFL grandstanding on social issues will be confused.

As for McGuire, the "apology" was even poorer than the comments.

tigersnake

Tear 'em apart
Sep 10, 2003
tigertim said:

Context was completely different, as Caro says in her comment today, and others have said. Shaw basically said to Caro, to her face, 'a few people would like to hold you under'. I've had mates say words to this effect to me and I've said it to mates, just pointing out someone or something doesn't like them.

jb03

Tiger Legend
Jan 28, 2004
Melbourne
tigertim said:

Shaw was pretty emotional this morning when talking to Neil Mitchell.

jb03

Tiger Legend
Jan 28, 2004
Melbourne
tigersnake said:
Context was completely different, as Caro says in her comment today, and others have said. Shaw basically said to Caro, to her face, 'a few people would like to hold you under'. I've had mates say words to this effect to me and I've said it to mates, just pointing out someone or something doesn't like them.

And not sure that pointing to someone else doing something/saying something similar absolves the original party from blame or responsibility anyway.

tigertim

Mar 6, 2004
jb03 said:
And not sure that pointing to someone else doing something/saying something similar absolves the original party from blame or responsibility anyway.

It seems a "joke" is ok if said in the company of its recipient but not ok if not said in the company of its recipient.

Tigerdangerous

Tigerdangerous
Aug 30, 2011
Melbourne, Australia
The paper tiger that is McGuire should be seen for what he is. A loud mouthed “look at me” type who’s had his fair share of luck in life and talks the talk but is a coward at heart. He exists because Caro is right; the AFL is a boys club doing silly things with the game without understanding the ramifications of their actions and protecting the arrogant idiocy of their often chauvinistic behavior. They also control a large part of the football media whose journo’s would love to be part of that same club; they have all the characteristics but they lack the membership the tossers! As such the football public is fed a soup of rubbish like this and like a cheap soap opera a person gobbles up this garbage and keeps these morons in their comfortable chairs of football power.

The Magpies board, like Richmond’s, should grow a pair of balls and access the performance of the Pies over the last few years and see how underperforming their president and their side has been; his biases have been detrimental to his club and yes, he should be moved on. As for the mighty Tigers? Our cupboard is just as bare and the people that through bad decisions and a failure in what they said they could bring by way of football success, are still there; each and every one of them. Idiots and egomaniacs have turned a great game into a corporate plaything; McGuire is the loud mouth leader of the gang who thinks the AFL is the NFL of the USA, and he has not had one original idea in a lifetime!

zippadeee

Tiger Legend
Oct 8, 2004
The big president of the Afl McLachlan the Cat, gave the pricks the all clear.
McGuire is like John Gotti, he is made out of Teflon and the Weasle Bradsaw is nothing more then a knob

Ian4

BIN MAN!
May 6, 2004
Melbourne
Tigerdangerous said:
The paper tiger that is McGuire should be seen for what he is. A loud mouthed “look at me” type who’s had his fair share of luck in life and talks the talk but is a coward at heart. He exists because Caro is right; the AFL is a boys club doing silly things with the game without understanding the ramifications of their actions and protecting the arrogant idiocy of their often chauvinistic behavior. They also control a large part of the football media whose journo’s would love to be part of that same club; they have all the characteristics but they lack the membership the tossers! As such the football public is fed a soup of rubbish like this and like a cheap soap opera a person gobbles up this garbage and keeps these morons in their comfortable chairs of football power.

The Magpies board, like Richmond’s, should grow a pair of balls and access the performance of the Pies over the last few years and see how underperforming their president and their side has been; his biases have been detrimental to his club and yes, he should be moved on. As for the mighty Tigers? Our cupboard is just as bare and the people that through bad decisions and a failure in what they said they could bring by way of football success, are still there; each and every one of them. Idiots and egomaniacs have turned a great game into a corporate plaything; McGuire is the loud mouth leader of the gang who thinks the AFL is the NFL of the USA, and he has not had one original idea in a lifetime!

good post. but hold on a sec... what about this new stadium idea next to the MCG? :rofl :rofl :rofl