Eddie McGuire | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Eddie McGuire

jb03

Tiger Legend
Jan 28, 2004
Melbourne
LeeToRainesToRoach said:
The media has closed ranks around McLachlan by praising his weakness as "strong leadership".

Don't ever try to tell me what to think you polo-playing *smile*.

Said it a couple of times on PRE elsewhere, Gill (and Mark Evans) are a disaster.

Finally Eddie is being called out for what has been a long history of poor form. Still riles me that he got off so lightly for the Adam Goodes King Kong comment.

HR

Tiger Superstar
Mar 20, 2013
Eddie is a Knob. Caroline wilson deserves better. She is a journo all the time if you disagree shes is a muckraker but if you treat her for journalism she probably the most consistent unbiased reporter around. With her mostly what i have read its not personal but the males in the same space always make it such.

Jul 26, 2004
www.redbubble.com
rosy23 said:
What about in a non school environment. Is that kind of behaviour acceptable outside the school grounds? If not when does it become acceptable?

No bullying is not acceptable in any environment rosy whether work or elsewhere but I'm not talking about that.
I was talking more about individuals publicly stating dislike of a person as preference to what Eddie & co did.

In this specific case Wilson expresses her agendas loudly & publicly through her various media channels.
People talk of her integrity but she's also in the business of controversy too to generate clicks/ratings and there's little ramification when she gets things wrong despite her reporting having an impact on people's lives. Overall she's is a good journalist IMO but she's also written plenty of pap over the years and got plenty wrong and i a panelist on Footy Classified.
As L2R says that makes her fair game to people who dislike her and clearly she's rankled quite a few over her career.
That said it's become pretty apparent in the past 48 hours that there are boundaries in the way that dislike is communicated.
Obviously jokes about violence towards women even as euphemism for that dislike are a no go zone.

Just on this Rohan Connolly sent out a tweet the other day saying somebody had a 'punchable head'. That was also a 'joke' but then we have a lot of awareness around coward's punches too?? However when Ro tweeted it I am sure he had no intention of hitting anybody. Casual language again.
Question is should Connolly also be pulled up by the AFL for that? Probably given recent events.

Brodders17

Tiger Legend
Mar 21, 2008
Tigers of Old said:
Just on this Rohan Connolly sent out a tweet the other day saying somebody had a 'punchable head'. That was also a 'joke' but then we have a lot of awareness around coward's punches too?? However when Ro tweeted it I am sure he had no intention of hitting anybody. Casual language again.
Question is should Connolly also be pulled up by the AFL for that? Probably given recent events.

Connolly is not a club president, which i think influenced the AFL to come down so hard on McGuire.

tigerman

It's Tiger Time
Mar 17, 2003
Poor Eddie, Collingwood are playing like crap, he's under the pump about whether he should sack his mate Buckley, along comes the bye and he says thank god for that, a nice quiet week at Magpie land.
I'm feeling for you Eddie ;D

larabee

Tiger Champion
Jun 11, 2010
Tigerland
IanG said:
Yeah I'm at that point as well, he's sexist and probably racist as well. Next thing you know he'll be making a homophobic remark.

too late - he made a few 'homophobic' comments while broadcasting at the Winter Olympics a few years ago. He's got all bases covered

http://www.smh.com.au/it-pro/eddie-cant-even-get-a-homophobic-joke-up-20100222-osg3.html

Al Bundy

Premiers 2017, 2019, 2020 ...2021?
Aug 27, 2003
Melbourne
Having heard the comments, personally I don't think they were gender based, but directed towards the person as such. This by no means excuses his actions either and that fact they were done during the surroundings of good will for a charity fund raiser is beyond belief. It wasn't a slip of the tongue as he went on with it. I don't condone violence (irrespective of its form - physical or verbal) against anybody irrespective of gender. Ed got off lightly imo.

tigertim

something funny is written here
Mar 6, 2004
Brodders17 said:
Connolly is not a club president, which i think influenced the AFL to come down so hard on McGuire.

Not having a go at you Brodders but to me this just adds another laying of complexity and condition on what one can say:

you can make a "joke" about a male, that's ok

but you can't make a "joke" about a female because then that makes one sexist ( and of course means you are condoning violence to women by obvious deduction..).

if you make the "joke" in the company of the recipient then that's ok

if you make the "joke" not in the company of the recipient then its not ok

if you make the "joke" as an AFL accredited journo that's ok

if you make the "joke" as an AFL president that's not ok.

And I read Robbo righteously teeing off again today. Robbo's made a rod for his own back now, he's a monty to slip up and say something racist/sexist/homophobic/stupid that everyone will love to hang him for at some time in the future.

IanG

Tiger Legend
Sep 27, 2004
Melbourne
Al Bundy said:
Having heard the comments, personally I don't think they were gender based, but directed towards the person as such.

But has McGuire ever made similar remarks about male journalists?

Jul 26, 2004
www.redbubble.com
Brodders17 said:

Just further evidence that AFL Presidents should not be able to hold major media positions. Until they disallow that the AFL make their own bed.

Al Bundy

Premiers 2017, 2019, 2020 ...2021?
Aug 27, 2003
Melbourne
IanG said:
But has McGuire ever made similar remarks about male journalists?

Not to my knowledge or memory but as I believe it was directed based on the dealings with the person.

HR

Tiger Superstar
Mar 20, 2013
The situation had nothing to do with caroline. Eddie made it about her. It is just childish and immature behavior seen more by pubescent teens in the social media. Im indifferent about the goodes comment from the girl and eddie as she has the benefit of youth. But this bloke needs to be told by his friends to pull his head in and stop being the alpha male. This will not happen because as caroline says the boys club are such because eddie built it. He owns them and their opinions and they are too gutless to stand their own moral ground and call him out. He is a knob and they are weak men.

Jul 26, 2004
www.redbubble.com
tigertim said:
Not having a go at you Brodders but to me this just adds another laying of complexity and condition on what one can say:

but you can't make a "joke" about a female because then that makes one sexist ( and of course means you are condoning violence to women by obvious deduction..).

And I read Robbo righteously teeing off again today. Robbo's made a rod for his own back now, he's a monty to slip up and say something racist/sexist/homophobic/stupid that everyone will love to hang him for at some time in the future.

Good post. The goal posts of what's tolerable in society are forever shifting. It's hard to keep up hence my point about getting older.
Laws are laws but when it comes to speech who decides what's ok and what isn't? Public opinion?
I'm keeping an open mind but there are many shades of grey here.

LeeToRainesToRoach

Tiger Legend
Jun 4, 2006
Melbourne
Tigers of Old said:
Good post. The goal posts of what's tolerable in society are forever shifting. It's hard to keep up hence my point about getting older.
Laws are laws but when it comes to speech who decides what's ok and what isn't? Public opinion?
I'm keeping an open mind but there are many shades of grey here.

Sure they're shifting, but when has it ever been OK to joke on air about drowning or (at best) torturing women?

Like I said at the outset, it's not a criminal offence but it's clearly in breach of the AFL's social policies and McGuire should've been whacked. Pretty obvious who really runs the AFL.

Rosy

Tiger Legend
Mar 27, 2003
Tigers of Old said:
No bullying is not acceptable in any environment rosy whether work or elsewhere but I'm not talking about that.
I was talking more about individuals publicly stating dislike of a person as preference to what Eddie & co did.

In this specific case Wilson expresses her agendas loudly & publicly through her various media channels.
People talk of her integrity but she's also in the business of controversy too to generate clicks/ratings and there's little ramification when she gets things wrong despite her reporting having an impact on people's lives. Overall she's is a good journalist IMO but she's also written plenty of pap over the years and got plenty wrong and i a panelist on Footy Classified.
As L2R says that makes her fair game to people who dislike her and clearly she's rankled quite a few over her career.
That said it's become pretty apparent in the past 48 hours that there are boundaries in the way that dislike is communicated.
Obviously jokes about violence towards women even as euphemism for that dislike are a no go zone.

I'd like to think the values kids are taught apply to general society too. What is to be gained by public bullying. It would be pretty ordinary to announce you hate someone. Better to discuss actual grievances than use a blanket hate them call.

Jul 26, 2004
www.redbubble.com
LeeToRainesToRoach said:
Sure they're shifting, but when has it ever been OK to joke on air about drowning or (at best) torturing women?

Can't recall it before but some on here (not necessarily you) once thought that was acceptable to call an Aboriginal man an ape so I guess the main thing is we all learn what's acceptable & what's not and move forward.

LeeToRainesToRoach

Tiger Legend
Jun 4, 2006
Melbourne
Tigers of Old said:
Can't recall it before but some on here (not necessarily you) once thought that was acceptable to call an Aboriginal man an ape so I guess the main thing is we all learn what's acceptable & what's not and move forward.

No it wasn't me. I defended the girl (being a 12yo kid) and I defended Goodes' initial reaction (not the later milking).

tigersnake

Tear 'em apart
Sep 10, 2003
Tigers of Old said:
Just further evidence that AFL Presidents should not be able to hold major media positions. Until they disallow that the AFL make their own bed.

Spot on. Its a joke, but its gone on so long everyone is used to it, I'd forgotten about it until you brought it up. Remember the backlash when Eddie started commentating Collingwood matches when 9 got footy? Just like the Essendon fiasco, every rational person knows it stinks, but the AFL just ignore that view and carry on regardless. The AFL is a mini version of FIFA, big legitimate looking big money operation, but ultimately no scrutiny.

tigersnake

Tear 'em apart
Sep 10, 2003
tigertim said:

Making a joke about a woman doesn't necessarily make you sexist, depends on the joke.

You're making it sound much more complicated than it is. I don't think its that hard. Its just old-fashioned values really. Being respectful, treating people equally, treating people how you'd like to be treated, or how you'd like people to treat your wife/ daughter, mum.