Eddie McGuire | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Eddie McGuire

spook

Kick the f*ckin' goal
Jun 18, 2007
Melbourne
David C said:
The massive over-reaction to McGuires comments can now actually be construed as "Bullying" against him because they are now so far out of proportion to his original sin, this is what happens when a mob basically decides to use their power to crush someone and is quite ironic in this whole situation.
Absolute horseshit.

Elmer

Tiger Champion
Dec 3, 2005
Just another case of Eddie's inner Broady bogan rearing its head. Polished when he's "on" but to the ol' head-kicker ocker traits are always bubbling. 12 months on they'll rear again. Play on!

spook

Kick the f*ckin' goal
Jun 18, 2007
Melbourne
Elmer said:
Just another case of Eddie's inner Broady bogan rearing its head. Polished when he's "on" but to the ol' head-kicker ocker traits are always bubbling. 12 months on they'll rear again. Play on!
Eddie loves to play on the Broady thing and talk tough but he's soft. Wouldn't have done a push-up since he was a teenager.

Total Tiger said:
I do prefer Piffle!
Piffle is a fine word, no doubt. ;D

IanG

Tiger Legend
Sep 27, 2004
Melbourne
Emma Quayle wrote an interesting tweet about how this sort of thing from those in positions of authority encourages abuse:

https://twitter.com/emmasq/status/745025055357177857

HR

Tiger Superstar
Mar 20, 2013
The massive over-reaction to McGuires comments can now actually be construed as "Bullying" against him because they are now so far out of proportion to his original sin, this is what happens when a mob basically decides to use their power to crush someone and is quite ironic in this whole situation.
[/quote]
No not at all. This is called accountability. This is what his big man mates should have done to him rather than playing the stupid laugh at eddie regardless of what he says.
I don't necessarily take the bullying options you presented either as in my opinion from what i have read and heard Caroline is not a victim. Yes she's disappointed in being dragged in to this mess but she has not been disempowered by his comment rather she has acted in a more stoic manner when reacting to it.
In fact this realy isnt about PC at all this is just a bloke who is what he is because of this type of behaviour probably. This sort of behaviour is used by people with insecurities generally. I would not be surprised if eddie has a mental issue like his mate gary because finally the rest of the world is prepared to say no to them and they dont know what they need to do to change. We are in a good place but this isnt political correctness.

B

Bill James

Without condoning Eddie's comments, you don't have to dig very hard to find Wilson utilises a personal confrontation style which has hidden behind the general courtesy her gender affords her. If she had been a man she would have been tirn down in public directly long before now as males do to one another. Go and look at her history reporting Tim Watson, Rkss Ltin, James Brayshaw to name a few. She is a bully. She has not attracted these comments because she is female but because of her style of reporting. But Eddie made a mistake.

Al Bundy

Premiers 2017, 2019, 2020 ...2021?
Aug 27, 2003
Melbourne
Richmond players will boycott Triple M this week as a sign of protest over what Eddie's comments.

Article on AFL site. Wasn't sure of allowed to post link so I didnt

Baloo

Delisted Free Agent
Nov 8, 2005
Al Bundy said:
Richmond players will boycott Triple M this week as a sign of protest over what Eddie's comments.

Article on AFL site. Wasn't sure of allowed to post link so I didnt

it's on the Journo's board

HR

Tiger Superstar
Mar 20, 2013
Bill James said:
Without condoning Eddie's comments, you don't have to dig very hard to find Wilson utilises a personal confrontation style which has hidden behind the general courtesy her gender affords her. If she had been a man she would have been tirn down in public directly long before now as males do to one another. Go and look at her history reporting Tim Watson, Rkss Ltin, James Brayshaw to name a few. She is a bully. She has not attracted these comments because she is female but because of her style of reporting. But Eddie made a mistake.
Bill you are confusing issues.

Tigaman

Tiger Champion
May 23, 2010
HR said:
Bill you are confusing issues.

Tigers players boycotting Triple M as support for Sweet Caroline after Eddie's gaffe. Wonder where this directive came from ?. I am 77 barracked for Tigers since I was in nappies. The ferocious Punt Road Tigers led by Captain Blood & his merry men. Now their legacy is lost as those now at Punt Road have no Tiger heart of years gone by.

Baloo

Delisted Free Agent
Nov 8, 2005
Really ? I'd say that being the first to make a stand, as they did with Goodes last year and apparently against MMM when Jarman said something, shows a fairly strong resolve. Following the leader is easy

Midsy

I am the one who knocks.
Jan 18, 2014
London
Bill James said:

You reckon she's advocated drowning people?

She takes people to task over issues. Rarely does she get personal.

What Eddie said was horrendous in my opinion, whether it was directed at a female or male.

He's got off scott free (nice irony there) and the CFC's statement about it was pathetic.

22nd Man

Tiger Legend
Aug 29, 2011
Essex Heights
larabee said:
too late - he made a few 'homophobic' comments while broadcasting at the Winter Olympics a few years ago. He's got all bases covered

http://www.smh.com.au/it-pro/eddie-cant-even-get-a-homophobic-joke-up-20100222-osg3.html

Then he covers up by making the ice skater his buddy for the rest of the Games.

22nd Man

Tiger Legend
Aug 29, 2011
Essex Heights
spook said:
The red herring here is that this is about violence towards women. It's really about bullying. McGuire is a bully and his colleagues the mindless cowards who go along for fear he'll turn on them.

Robinson has got this 100% right. He's a buffoon and a Kool Aid drinker when it comes to the Dons, but you have to credit the man, everything he says regarding gender, violence, bullying, homophobia, is right on. He doesn't have much of a brain but I think his heart's in the right place.

Had to keep checking the by line on Robbos article. But it definitely was him and he nailed it ... Took a huge swipe at HQ and Ed. Good on him.

22nd Man

Tiger Legend
Aug 29, 2011
Essex Heights
As an aside. The Rita Panahi piece on this somehow ended up being all about Dustin Martin!

And Jeff K showed he is so last century in many ways but Susie O'Brien certainly came off the long run, again.

IanG

Tiger Legend
Sep 27, 2004
Melbourne
Bill James said:
Without condoning Eddie's comments, you don't have to dig very hard to find Wilson utilises a personal confrontation style which has hidden behind the general courtesy her gender affords her. If she had been a man she would have been tirn down in public directly long before now as males do to one another. Go and look at her history reporting Tim Watson, Rkss Ltin, James Brayshaw to name a few.

She's been no different to Patrick Smith.

Jul 26, 2004
www.redbubble.com
Wilson regularly gets personal in her 'reporting' driving her agendas as fact. You don't need to use swear words or death threats to bully people. She's not alone in this but she's not Mother Therasa either.

HR

Tiger Superstar
Mar 20, 2013
Tigaman said:
Tigers players boycotting Triple M as support for Sweet Caroline after Eddie's gaffe. Wonder where this directive came from ?. I am 77 barracked for Tigers since I was in nappies. The ferocious Punt Road Tigers led by Captain Blood & his merry men. Now their legacy is lost as those now at Punt Road have no Tiger heart of years gone by.
Unfortunately I have only supported the tigers for 43 years and financially for 10 tigaman.
As the father of 2 girls and a boy the oldest being 20 and the youngest being 17 i cannot help but feel sorry for past notions like yours. If you think its cool to be eddie well, so be it. I cannot change that. But i can influence my boy and others by disagreeing with your outdated opinion of how to treat others. As far as im concerned footy should be hard and tough, not this weak at the knees ducking crap or standing behind cheap humour when having a go at a percieved enemy in the media. It should only be played out on the park. Thats all. On the park. Its never brave to do an eddie and try to play the gladiator in the media. Caroline deserves better because she is better, all this crap about fact and opinion is meaningless unless you are prepared to stand by it. If she has had to stand down has she? If she has been challenged has she stood by her word? Sure EFC sympathizers are baying for blood but lets face it, they are *smile* without reason. How many of these dicks agree with the ioc regarding russias ban. Caroline is a reporter first and foremost and a woman as well. Grow some balls and admit that mmm are pathetic in the way they have treated all of us. As far as im concerned they can have McGuire for ever. They have failed in my eyes.

HR

Tiger Superstar
Mar 20, 2013
Tigaman said:
sorry tigaman, gaffe i forgot about gaffe. Dont excuse this dicks comment as a slip of the tongue. Eddie is experienced. This was no gaffe this was a deliberare shot at a peer. He is no fool in this space but he has really missed the mark and hopefully public opinion will give him some time to think it over. I wonder what his obedient wife thinks?