Eddie McGuire | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Eddie McGuire

Harry

Tiger Legend
Mar 2, 2003
Listening to it was like a bunch of school yard bullies making fun at a wimpy kid. Surprised none told Eddie to settle down but we're egging him on.

tigertim

something funny is written here
Mar 6, 2004
tigersnake said:
Making a joke about a woman doesn't necessarily make you sexist, depends on the joke.

You're making it sound much more complicated than it is. I don't think its that hard. Its just old-fashioned values really. Being respectful, treating people equally, treating people how you'd like to be treated, or how you'd like people to treat your wife/ daughter, mum.

I'm certainly not the one making this more complicated. I'm just following out the "do's and dont's".

But I certainly agree with your point of treating people equally, treating people how you'd like to be treated or how you'd like people to treat your daughter/wife, mum ( or son, father, husband, uncle.....)

tigersnake said:
Call me one eyed, I could not give a crap. We should be 2 goals closer, that is being conservative, if not for the white maggots.

spook

Kick the f*ckin' goal
Jun 18, 2007
Melbourne
The red herring here is that this is about violence towards women. It's really about bullying. McGuire is a bully and his colleagues the mindless cowards who go along for fear he'll turn on them.

Robinson has got this 100% right. He's a buffoon and a Kool Aid drinker when it comes to the Dons, but you have to credit the man, everything he says regarding gender, violence, bullying, homophobia, is right on. He doesn't have much of a brain but I think his heart's in the right place.

waiting

Tiger Legend
Apr 15, 2007
Victoria
I agree Spook.

Robinson is on the money with this one!

Harry it was a form of bullying and the cowards who kept at Eddy should be ashamed!

mrposhman

Tiger Legend
Oct 6, 2013
spook said:
The red herring here is that this is about violence towards women. It's really about bullying. McGuire is a bully and his colleagues the mindless cowards who go along for fear he'll turn on them.

Robinson has got this 100% right. He's a buffoon and a Kool Aid drinker when it comes to the Dons, but you have to credit the man, everything he says regarding gender, violence, bullying, homophobia, is right on. He doesn't have much of a brain but I think his heart's in the right place.

Snap. Personally think they might have been able to shrug off the comments about putting her head under as a bit of bravado (though I thought Frawley came out of that exchange the worst) but when Eddie went on about her being a balck widow etc it showed that the initial comments were not in jest at all but were bullying. By the way, I'm not condoning the initial comments but in isolation whilst probably not PC they weren't that bad. I think Caroline Wilson was far more upset with the secondary nature of the comments which showed that the initial comments (despite what Eddie tried to paint them as) were not said in jest at all.

Eddies got plenty of form on this, and needs to pull his head in more. If the AFL had any balls they would be doing more to deal with Eddie but unfortunately Gill is Eddies lapdog.

Jul 26, 2004
www.redbubble.com
spook said:
It's really about bullying.

Just curious spook.
What of Wilson commenting nationally through papers etc. on footballers lifestyles for example and connecting them negatively to an article any chance she gets?
Is that a form of bullying or is that just 'reporting'?

RFC not KFC

Tiger Superstar
May 2, 2003
rosy23 said:
How do you know what the police found? Same with Baloo. Is there a transcript of the investigation. Just because there weren't criminal charges doesn't mean all is good. Eddie won't be charged for his behaviour either but that doesn't make it any more acceptable.

So you think Hawthorn players could be rapists?

LeeToRainesToRoach

Tiger Legend
Jun 4, 2006
Melbourne
spook said:

The implication is that Caro, as a woman, wouldn't be physically strong enough to resist. "We'll hold her under water if we want to, she won't be able to do anything about it. Hahahahaha."

If he'd said it about e.g. Robbo, it's a different context. I'd probably back Robbo against Eddie in a cage fight.

spook

Kick the f*ckin' goal
Jun 18, 2007
Melbourne
Tigers of Old said:
Just curious spook.
What of Wilson commenting nationally through papers etc. on footballers lifestyles for example and connecting them negatively to an article any chance she gets?
Give me a specific example with a quote and I'll give you my opinion. Regardless, it doesn't alter what McGuire and co did.

LeeToRainesToRoach said:
The implication is that Caro, as a woman, wouldn't be physically strong enough to resist. "We'll hold her under water if we want to, she won't be able to do anything about it. Hahahahaha."

If he'd said it about e.g. Robbo, it's a different context. I'd probably back Robbo against Eddie in a cage fight.
Would you back Robbo against Eddie, Brayshaw, Frawley and Carey? It's bullying. The fact it was against a woman just made it even more gutless.

LeeToRainesToRoach

Tiger Legend
Jun 4, 2006
Melbourne
spook said:
Would you back Robbo against Eddie, Brayshaw, Frawley and Carey? It's bullying. The fact it was against a woman just made it even more gutless.

Robbo can challenge McGuire to a water wrestle, with the loser to donate $xK to charity. Caro has no comeback except to say she's offended. Call her a poisonous witch or whatever and it's a fair fight, but saying you'd like to hold her under water isn't like for like.

HR

Tiger Superstar
Mar 20, 2013
Tigers of Old said:
Just curious spook.
Sorry to be butting in here but i think that it is a good question. Wilson's reporting is not bullying. It is not harrassment either. She does not hide behind others, nor does she use an attempt at humour to disguise her comment. She picks topics others shy away from and remains on topic rather than showing bias. We might not agree with her but that does not make it bullying. I would think that over the course of time she has proven she is not a coward like others whom we are discussing now. She is dogged in her approach which i find refreshing, just think how much James Hird would have got away with had Caroline backed down and let that be. I for one am very glad to have a strong womans view in the media because without it footy commentary would be very beige.

year of the tiger

Tiger Legend
Mar 26, 2008
Tasmania
spook said:

[/quote

I agree this is about bullying but I think it is also about gender violence - bullying happens when someone from a position of power (read male) attack someone of lesser power (read female in this case) - the was verbal abuse threatening violence dressed up as comedy which try's to normalise it. The response from the AFL was weak and I was disappointed Peggy (our preside to) didn't come out stronger and earlier

dcstar

Once sane, always Richmond......
Nov 5, 2003
Melbourne
mrposhman said:
Eddies got plenty of form on this, and needs to pull his head in more. If the AFL had any balls they would be doing more to deal with Eddie but unfortunately Gill is Eddies lapdog.

McGuire may have "form", but I'd like to find out how many others he has made similar comments about to see if there is actually any specific targeting of Wilson because she happens to be female. If McGuire has made comments along similar lines about males then this whole saga is just about someone who happens to be a big-mouthed buffoon who made some comments hardly anyone heard or took notice of at the time, not someone who is now tagged in the media as wanting to "Murder" Wilson (which I just heard an ABC reporter say).

The reaction to these stupid comments have now been blown so far out of proportion to their actual original impact that I am wondering if the current Language Puritans are about to call for a jail sentence for anyone who dares break the rules that they have created.

Rosy

Tiger Legend
Mar 27, 2003
David C said:
McGuire may have "form", but I'd like to find out how many others he has made similar comments about to see if there is actually any specific targeting of Wilson because she happens to be female. If McGuire has made comments along similar lines about males then this whole saga is just about someone who happens to be a big-mouthed buffoon who made some comments hardly anyone heard or took notice of at the time, not someone who is now tagged in the media as wanting to "Murder" Wilson (which I just heard an ABC reporter say).

The reaction to these stupid comments have now been blown so far out of proportion to their actual original impact that I am wondering if the current Language Puritans are about to call for a jail sentence for anyone who dares break the rules that they have created.

I'd be surprised if Eddie has said similar about a man seeing there don't appear to be any examples among the Eddie's Gaffes examples that are all over the place. If he had made them against a man in a similar scenario they'd still be unacceptable imo. Just not funny.

I'm not sure what language puritans has to do with it. Eddie's language was ok...the underlying tone of bullying wasn't.

tigersnake

Tear 'em apart
Sep 10, 2003
David C said:

I wouldn't wonder too hard David, I don't reckon the LPs will do that.

Rosy

Tiger Legend
Mar 27, 2003
LeeToRainesToRoach said:
Robbo can challenge McGuire to a water wrestle, with the loser to donate $xK to charity. Caro has no comeback except to say she's offended. Call her a poisonous witch or whatever and it's a fair fight, but saying you'd like to hold her under water isn't like for like.

That doesn't capture the like to like too well. Eddie didn't challenge Caro to anything involving him. He suggested a one woman show and holding her head under. No money going to the winner or loser to donate. Caro's only comeback wouldn't be to say she's offended in the above scenario. If asked in a genuine fashion and without the drowning gags she might have been up for something. She could accept or counter challenge or decline. She wasn't put in a position of accepting a challenge. It was a very poor attempt at humour with obvious bitter undertones. It doesn't reflect well on Eddie McGuire as a person to me. Very poor form.

dcstar

Once sane, always Richmond......
Nov 5, 2003
Melbourne
rosy23 said:
I'd be surprised if Eddie has said similar about a man seeing there don't appear to be any examples among the Eddie's Gaffes examples that are all over the place. If he had made them against a man in a similar scenario they'd still be unacceptable imo. Just not funny.

I'm not sure what language puritans has to do with it. Eddie's language was ok...the underlying tone of bullying wasn't.

There are at least two ways that people can be protected from "Bullying", the first is to try and suppress anything that might be perceived as bullying so those that may be targets never experience it - such things are very hard to achieve in the real world and all that really happens is that you end up with a lot of weak people without any skills to cope with it if it happens.

The second way is to give people the skills to stand up to bullies and respond in proportion because that tends to firstly give the bully something to think about as well as empowering the individual to cope with any future situation.

The massive over-reaction to McGuires comments can now actually be construed as "Bullying" against him because they are now so far out of proportion to his original sin, this is what happens when a mob basically decides to use their power to crush someone and is quite ironic in this whole situation.

LeeToRainesToRoach

Tiger Legend
Jun 4, 2006
Melbourne
rosy23 said:
That doesn't capture the like to like too well. Eddie didn't challenge Caro to anything involving him. He suggested a one woman show and holding her head under. No money going to the winner or loser to donate. Caro's only comeback wouldn't be to say she's offended in the above scenario. If asked in a genuine fashion and without the drowning gags she might have been up for something. She could accept or counter challenge or decline. She wasn't put in a position of accepting a challenge. It was a very poor attempt at humour with obvious bitter undertones. It doesn't reflect well on Eddie McGuire as a person to me. Very poor form.

It's a bloke thing, don't worry about it.

Rosy

Tiger Legend
Mar 27, 2003
David C said:
The massive over-reaction to McGuires comments can now actually be construed as "Bullying" against him because they are now so far out of proportion to his original sin, this is what happens when a mob basically decides to use their power to crush someone and is quite ironic in this whole situation.

Piffle. People are responding to Eddie's actual behaviour and comments towards another person on public radio. Nobody has suggested, while possibly guffawing at their egotistical and arrogant wit at the expense of another, that he should be held under water. How is it an over-reaction? Everyone is entitled to an opinion. In my ideal world Eddie's comments would be unacceptable and the more that disagree with them the better. Of course it's your prerogative to disagree. I find it sad if people think there's a place for such bullying behaviour towards others. What are the positives of it?