End of an Era | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

End of an Era

Harry

Tiger Legend
Mar 2, 2003
Refuse to concede this year
No-ones figured us out
We are beating ourselves
The rule change hasn't impacted us to the extent that we lose to GC
We've just forgotten how to play Richmond football
We play 50% Richmond football and we beat GC by 10 goals
We are playing anti-Richmond football
slow, soft, reactive, selfish, weak
It's all mental.
Where's Emma?

Reactions: 6 users

shawry

Tiger Legend
Apr 14, 2003
Adelaide, Australia
No-ones figured us out
We are beating ourselves
It's all mental.
Where's Emma?
Totally agree with this

daniel30

Tiger Superstar
Jun 14, 2010
No-ones figured us out
We are beating ourselves
It's all mental.
Where's Emma?
100% agree with this we're our own worse enemy skill wise , lapses , lack of pressure and intensity we seen lucky about 2 games of tigers brand of footy this year.

Brooklyn Tiger

Tiger Matchwinner
Nov 23, 2008
Brooklyn, NY
The era is probably over. We are playing like it's over but i feel like it's been working towards that for some time. The constant bombing to f50 rather than the pressure and looking to spot that guy around 40m out has gone. It left a long time ago and that was the start for me.

but tbh - I'm not mad, just disappointed its coming to an end. But it's been an amazing ride and i don't think anyone who has lived through the 35yrs of trash can really be that mad. At that point i didn't even think i'd see us compete for a flag let alone win 3, get a couple of norms and brownlows and see maybe the best tiger champion to ever play. Another bloke is about to pass St. Francis to become 3rd most played tiger of them all and bag 700. All great things. I'm more grateful.

BUT..... that doesn't mean we have to roll over and live the dark ages again, Just means we reset, hit the draft hard and go again and i think we can. Dark ages has probably given me some perspective which is why the emotions are in check for the moment.

We DO need some real midfield class right now though - not an accumulator type more of a real impact player who can lift the team when we need it. We have traded out our depth lately but remember these kids want to play too they don't want to sit in VFL as a backup. The last few yrs has also showed us we cannot rely on Prestia playing any season out, in fact half season seems like a bonus. Hard decision need to be made on a couple and we must keep bolton and CCJ at all costs. I don't think the sky is falling and full rebuild is needed. Just needs a re-fresh.

Reactions: 8 users

ceehook2

Tiger Matchwinner
Feb 11, 2021
what we do between now and end of season will go a long to determining that

and how we trade and draft will also be key

we can fade out of contention this year due to form and injury disruptions
but if the club stays strong internally , on the back of years of personal development
we dont go into free fall

and if the trading targets immediate needs it puts us back in the frame
and if we can make good use of our draft picks the window stays open longer

the world has ended just yet

craig

Tiger Legend
Aug 19, 2004
Melbourne
This is s salient point. Is Emma currently working with the team?
I will take a wild guess and say NO :mhihi.

Our She Yoda is our weapon why was she not packed in the luggage whilst we were sent all over the joint again.

Bring Her Back We Must (in Yoda voice)............

Scoop

Tiger Legend
Dec 8, 2004
Lesson that every era ends FAST. Maybe the club knew and that’s why we are loaded with picks.

We can bounce back fast if we get this draft right.

• Love
Reactions: 7 users

123cups

Tiger Champion
May 1, 2016
Just a couple of bad weeks, we'll be fine later this year and certainly for next year.

St Kevin

Tiger Legend
Apr 1, 2014
Lesson that every era ends FAST. Maybe the club knew and that’s why we are loaded with picks.

100%. Like I have said, I’d like us to go on with 3 firsts. At least one is looking like a top 10 pick, our first since Vlastuin.

Baloo

Delisted Free Agent
Nov 8, 2005
First 5 rounds of 2022 will be what signals the era. Either this year was an aberration, or it's over.

We've had a brilliant 4 years, there's nothing to be angry about. Sad yeah, but angry no.

Reactions: 14 users

AngryAnt

Tiger Legend
Nov 25, 2004
Yep, no anger from me either.

Rest of this year is play kids, try some new gameplan ideas, look for some assistant coaches. This is Dimma's biggest challenge since 2017.

Reactions: 1 users

Redford

Tiger Legend
Dec 18, 2002
Tel Aviv
There’s a classic piece of play that defines our season and how far we’ve slipped. It’s certainly not the only issue we’re confronting but is a great example of the lost pressure and lost structure - particularly in our forward line this year. I encourage people to have a look at it.

It’s with 12.50 to go in the last quarter. Chol puts up a typically weak effort at a throw up in our inside 50 and Grundy taps the ball down to an unmanned Hoskin Elliott who under minimal pressure gets a handball off to Crisp on his own and under no pressure, and who then similarly gets another no pressure handball off to Roughead standing on his own, who then handballs to Adam’s I think it is who again is on his own and with no pressure. He then handballs back to Crisp who has re connected, and Crisp just runs the football out of our forward 50 in open space on his own.

Crisp is now outside the 50, then gives it to Henry who gives it back to Crisp again - still on his own - and before you know it the ball is on the opposite wing with absolute witches hats ease.

No pressure ….and space everywhere.

The passage highlights the damning lack of pressure in our forward line and terrible lack of structure or set up to help keep it in there as best as possible.

It’s an absolutely terrible piece of play that would never have happened in the past.

Reactions: 4 users

artball

labels are for canned food
Jul 30, 2013

future proofing
like the thinking, makes sense.
of course they knew where some players were at ..