End of an Era | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

End of an Era

TigerMasochist

Walks softly carries a big stick.
Jul 13, 2003
Hit a massive speed hump this year n tore off a cuppla wheels. Bit of fancy spanner work over the off season n we'll be back fully reconditioned n burbling sweet as.

Reactions: 1 users

123cups

Tiger Champion
May 1, 2016
a couple of couple bad weeks = 4, on top of a mediocre season prior to that.

We’re a great development club that is good at teaching people, helping everyone grow, become better people, etc

Gone up and up and up ever since Dimma/Benny took over with just a couple of small bumps along the way. We’ve kept going up until we became one of the best teams ever, and that’s from a 12-year period of evidence compared to 1 month.

Era has just begun.

dimmauchamp

Tiger Legend
Apr 1, 2003
Never has there been a more obvious bias against a champion team then the one we have witnessed against our great club. The AFL, media and every other football club have had it in for us since our 2017 success. Every one of them have struggled to call us a Great team. Yeah they talk us up every now and then. Yet they have never given us the proper credit we deserved. When Geelong and Hawks dominated, their team and coach where continually lauded as the best ever. We were one win away from having 4 in a row. We didnt get the credit we deserved for winning that flag last year. In a bubble, away from home and against all odds but we did it. So what does the AFL do.
They allow Hocking to come in and change a specific rule that they knew would make a big dent to our game plan. Coincidence that Geelong were practicing said rule months before it was officially introduced. Now all of a sudden he is linked to return to Geelong.
Mission accomplished. How there have not been any investigations into his sudden departure and return to Cats is a joke. Gil hates us and despises our success. The umpiring this year has been as blatant as i have ever seen. The media have been salivating at seeing our demise. Itching to write us off. Dimma has always shoved it up the AFL and they know it.
There is no conspiracy to our downfall. No marriage break ups or loss of respect. Its just been a perfect storm of issues. The rule changes. The blatant umpire screwings. The 4 years of limited pre seasons. Most importantly though the major injuries to key players and the ageing of our stars. Take the key players out of most teams and they will cover it for a week or two but it will eventually catch up.
The funny thing is the rest of the rabble around us keep tripping over themselves. None of them are anywhere near what our best was. 2017-2018 Tigers would have wiped the floor with the current teams.
I will say it again. I have never seen any champion team disrespected as much as we have. Makes our success all the more sweeter.

Yes we are done for 2021 but if the club can reignite that hunger and make some bold and smart moves at the end of the year we may be back in business and the AFL will need to find another rule change to bring us down.

• Love
Reactions: 14 users

14tempany

Tiger Rookie
Apr 12, 2009
could not agree more dimmauchamp
great rant
the shocking scenario just reeks - i am disgusted that someone would watch the top team train and then do everything in their power because they have that power to bring in rules to bring down that particular team and then to walk away to the team that was beaten fairly and squarely in a grand final but will benefit from all your rule changes
I know lots of older fans love being hated again but there is a big difference between being hated and being disrespected
I too dont get the incredible lack of frees against us - it cant just be the way we play the game esp as this year the way we play is completely different
The pundits who wont give our dynasty any credit
The new rule that says if there is a dynasty team then they MUST be brought down - this never applied to any of the other dynasty teams
The pundit creamed themselves over them year after year

craig

Tiger Legend
Aug 19, 2004
Melbourne
The push is on to shorten the game as I knew it would.

Forget the end of the Tiger era.

The era of AFL footy being the religion of Victorians Taswegians, Sandgropers and Crow Eaters is eroding.

Covid has changed the way society goes about things and wont be changing back for a long time, the capital isn't out there as peope have much more presssing issues in their lives re paying rent paying mortgages saving money, unreliable employment, on and off home schooling and the rest of the BS that has been bought upon society., and to be honest I think the interest isn't there either.

Coaches yarping again (on cue Scott again probably at the direction of his brother from HQ), over 5 day breaks then how about scrapping Thursday Night games then there wouldnt be an issue with 5 day breaks.

Cant be having that can we cos the Corporates want their $$$.

Their agenda's were on show for all to see last year, wrapped up in a Covid excuse.

I'm just about done with the whole corrupt circus.

Last edited:
Reactions: 7 users

DavidSSS

Tiger Legend
Dec 11, 2017
Melbourne
There’s a classic piece of play that defines our season and how far we’ve slipped. It’s certainly not the only issue we’re confronting but is a great example of the lost pressure and lost structure - particularly in our forward line this year. I encourage people to have a look at it.

It’s with 12.50 to go in the last quarter. Chol puts up a typically weak effort at a throw up in our inside 50 and Grundy taps the ball down to an unmanned Hoskin Elliott who under minimal pressure gets a handball off to Crisp on his own and under no pressure, and who then similarly gets another no pressure handball off to Roughead standing on his own, who then handballs to Adam’s I think it is who again is on his own and with no pressure. He then handballs back to Crisp who has re connected, and Crisp just runs the football out of our forward 50 in open space on his own.

Crisp is now outside the 50, then gives it to Henry who gives it back to Crisp again - still on his own - and before you know it the ball is on the opposite wing with absolute witches hats ease.

No pressure ….and space everywhere.

The passage highlights the damning lack of pressure in our forward line and terrible lack of structure or set up to help keep it in there as best as possible.

It’s an absolutely terrible piece of play that would never have happened in the past.

Actually the really damning thing about this example is that it doesn't start from a free kick or mark, in other words the stand rule is not involved. This is not about rule changes, they haven't helped, but this is about how we play.

Lot's of factors involved but we are just not playing well.

DS

A Tiger in Denmark
Aug 9, 2003
Denmark
www.dafl.dk
And the next one ain't gonna just happen.
This one was built primarily on three blue-chip top three draft picks all of whom worked out and their careers mostly coincided.
Cotchin (2), Martin (3) and I include Deledio (1) in this - did not play in a premiership side but as a #1 draft pick, stayed longer than he might have and helped make the RFC a club that the likes of Prestia, Nankervis and Caddy might want to come to. Add to that the bonus of how well Riewoldt (13) and Rance (18) turned out.
There is alot of stuff spoken about club culture, "connection", game plans and whatnot but it's mostly about having bloody good players at your disposal.

Us of the 37-year drought ilk should know better than most that the next RFC premiership will not be easily won, nor should we expect that it will come soon.

Reactions: 5 users

seven

Super Tiger
Apr 20, 2004
How is it that Geelong *smile* are calling the shots? They got a junior stadium built with tax dollars from you and me, and it's used 9 times a year. Friken cancer on the sport.
Like Scott said
"As a spectator when I watch footy on Thursday, Friday night, the game’s way too long,”

So Saturday and Sunday games are okay?

LeeToRainesToRoach

Tiger Legend
Jun 4, 2006
Melbourne
Like Scott said
"As a spectator when I watch footy on Thursday, Friday night, the game’s way too long,”

So Saturday and Sunday games are okay?
I especially liked the bit about running players out of the game at 30. He's either a liar or a fool, and I don't think he's a fool.

The past two seasons have been in the top eight all-time for games played by over-30's (>14%). The other years were all war or post-war where the young blokes rushed off to get killed.

Reactions: 1 user

CarnTheTiges

This is a REAL tiger
Mar 8, 2004
Victoria
I especially liked the bit about running players out of the game at 30. He's either a liar or a fool, and I don't think he's a fool.

The past two seasons have been in the top eight all-time for games played by over-30's (>14%). The other years were all war or post-war where the young blokes rushed off to get killed.
He’s sooking because normal length games are beginning to impact the list of old age pensioners he’s put together.

AngryAnt

Tiger Legend
Nov 25, 2004
This sums up how bad we are right now. Bear in mind that we played St Kilda, Gold Coast and Collingwood in those losses.

1626076070437.png

LeeToRainesToRoach

Tiger Legend
Jun 4, 2006
Melbourne
Should call it "The Meadows".

The-Meadows.png

Reactions: 1 user

clown

Tiger Superstar
Mar 16, 2004
The Hawk's count their 4 flags as an era and what was that 2008 to -2015? We've still got a few years if this is the case

A Tiger in Denmark
Aug 9, 2003
Denmark
www.dafl.dk
This sums up how bad we are right now. Bear in mind that we played St Kilda, Gold Coast and Collingwood in those losses.

View attachment 12798
This is a classic example of how some statisticians will choose their words carefully to make a stat sound more amazing than you might think.
I'm guessing the 5547 for Geelong is a reference to rounds 5, 6, 7 and 8, 2003 - part of a 1-7 start which left them on the bottom by the way.
But note that the heading says "four games in a row in a season".
Geelong lost the last two games of 2014 - a straight sets exit from the finals, and then the first two home-and-away games of 2015.
Their number should be 2283 !

Reactions: 4 users

seven

Super Tiger
Apr 20, 2004

WHY WE SHOULD ALL SAY THANKS TO RICHMOND​

But amid the doom and gloom at Punt Road, David King has praised the way in which Richmond has “changed the game” during their run of three flags in four years.

“Everyone wants to talk about the end of an era. I want to celebrate the era,” King told SEN’s Whateley.

“What they’ve been able to do has been unbelievable really – they’ve changed the game in so many ways.

Reactions: 2 users

AngryAnt

Tiger Legend
Nov 25, 2004
This is a classic example of how some statisticians will choose their words carefully to make a stat sound more amazing than you might think.
I'm guessing the 5547 for Geelong is a reference to rounds 5, 6, 7 and 8, 2003 - part of a 1-7 start which left them on the bottom by the way.
But note that the heading says "four games in a row in a season".
Geelong lost the last two games of 2014 - a straight sets exit from the finals, and then the first two home-and-away games of 2015.
Their number should be 2283 !

Fair point, but I'm more concerned about where we are, not where Geelong is.

I'd also take our 3 flags over that particular Geelong record.