End of an Era | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

End of an Era

Mr Brightside

Tiger Legend
Jul 1, 2005
Wang
I would have said after the horrendous loss last night that will still make finals , have a free hit and anything could happen in September, however losing Balta and Broad makes it real real hard . Wouldn’t right this club of yet and we should be able to get a few games into some Cubs

Reactions: 1 users

Spirit of Jack

Only a Tiger premiership can make 2020 a good year
Apr 19, 2004
Without doubt that game was the death of our dynasty, however it always had to end. Nothing but gratitude here. What is critical is what comes next. Do we become a sustainably good club like Geelong, or do we do what most successful teams do - head back to mediocrity.

That was my goal for the club after 2017, making the finals becomes the norm, regular appearances in the top four and the occasional tilt for a premiership. I think we have the right people and culture to do it, however it is going to be an almighty challenge...

Reactions: 3 users

scottyturnerscurse

Tiger Legend
Apr 29, 2006
Without doubt that game was the death of our dynasty, however it always had to end. Nothing but gratitude here. What is critical is what comes next. Do we become a sustainably good club like Geelong, or do we do what most successful teams do - head back to mediocrity.

That was my goal for the club after 2017, making the finals becomes the norm, regular appearances in the top four and the occasional tilt for a premiership. I think we have the right people and culture to do it, however it is going to be an almighty challenge...

It's hard to see us threatening this year, obviously, but I don't know whether we look to the future and sell some of the farm or have another crack. Given our extraordinary draft hand, plus Martin, Bolton and Tom Lunch (pending his post-injury form) I'm inclined to say we have another crack. These opportunities don't come along that often. That said, you can make a case for looking further ahead and getting rid of some elder statesmen, some of whom might have currency, and taking six picks in the first 40. Get lucky with some draftees and we could be a contender again in 2022. Whatever the club decides will be right, until it isn't.

Anyway, I hope it's not over. Most of us never thought 2017 would happen. 2018 made us pine even more and then we got back-to-back flags. Glorious.

zippadeee

Tiger Legend
Oct 8, 2004
We'll always be able to say they had to change the rules to stop us. But the game can never be the same again as a result. There is Before Richmond and After Richmond. What a time it has been to be a Tiger!

First signpost was Round 3 when a team of kids picked us apart with a thousand 10m passes, and there have been a few since. Kickouts into the attacking half, like soccer. Lawyers slowly but surely squeezing the life from the game. If the AFL happened to go broke, I wouldn't be sad. It was meant to be.

We've got a strong draft/trade hand, so go out and get the players we need to play this new sport. I'll be watching on the telly.
25000 couldve gone last night less then 15000 turned up.
Footy isn't in great shape and its not people's number 1 priority anymore.

Coburgtiger

Tiger Legend
May 7, 2012
I posted earlier in the year, that I had seen our worst three games since 2016 all in this year. Now I've seen our worst four.

People like to point to our infrequent big losses in premiership years to suggest that nothing has changed. But the fact is, minor aberrations aside, we have been incredibly consistent throughout our reign.

This year is different.

Every year for the previous 4, I've said to anyone who will listen, 'We are the best side in it. We'll be there at the end.'

This year, we are not.

We are suddenly a middle of the road team.

Champion club? Yes. Also a champion coach, with some champion, albeit aging, players.

But the current 22 we're fielding is an 8-10th side.

Bad losses. Non competitive quarters. Skill errors. Inability to take something away from the opposition. Structurally unbalanced. Lack of composure in tight losses. Slow on the ground, beaten in the air. But with moments of brilliance and leadership from our stars.

We could pinch a couple of finals wins if the stars align in September and we sneak into the eight. Inconsistency means we can't dominate a season, but we could blitz a month.

But it's time to think about the R word. Refresh or Rebuild, whatever you want to call it. There's not much we can do this year to do either, so we might as well go hell for leather and try and jag one. We could move on non contributors that are not part of the future (Aarts, Castagna etc) and incorporate some who are maybe less ready, but are (Stack, MRJ). It's still time to be picking best 22, because the cupboard will be bare until the offseason.

But if we win it this year, it will be theft.

It is the end of the our reign, the signs have been there all year. We can't complain about the intensity or longevity of it. Though we can hope for an encore.

Spirit of Jack

Only a Tiger premiership can make 2020 a good year
Apr 19, 2004
Unpopular opinion I'm sure, but it may not be a bad thing to have a couple more losses in the next few weeks. We need to move into the next phase and not kid ourselves that we are still in the hunt. Veterans who may have been going to hang around need to move on e.g. Houli, Astbury and likewise premiership players who no longer are playing anywhere near well enough need to be traded or delisted e.g. Caddy, Castagna, Rioli, McIntosh. We cannot overpay to keep Shai or CCJ. Incredibly important list management decisions are coming.

Reactions: 6 users

houstontiger

Tiger Rookie
May 26, 2014
If i told all of you guys that we would win 3 flags in 4 years 5 years ago you wouldve all chased me out of the country.
Its been absolutly incredible witnessing the build of this great team, but now its time to regenerate. Where not winning a flag with this best 22.
The club has left us in a great position to attack the draft, free agency or even targeting players from other clubs.
I personally believe Houli Cotchin Astbury and Maybe even Grimes might walking away at the end of this year.
I have the faith and belief Hardwick to keep building us back into a September force again.
6 picks under 50.
Throw in if Bolton or Cj pack it up.
We could possibly have 5 picks under 20.
Its a weird feeling. I was satisfied with one flag, but now unsatisfied with 3.

IMO I don't think it is a cattle problem but a hunger problem. We look like we have just spend the last 2 and a half hours at the local all you can eat joint.

Maybe its wishful thinking but re-energise and motivate the boys and I reckon we are still a chance for number 4.

tigertim

something funny is written here
Mar 6, 2004
Hopefully not an END of an era but a glitch in the era.

• Love

TigerFurious

Smooth
Dec 17, 2002
Unpopular opinion I'm sure, but it may not be a bad thing to have a couple more losses in the next few weeks. We need to move into the next phase and not kid ourselves that we are still in the hunt. Veterans who may have been going to hang around need to move on e.g. Houli, Astbury and likewise premiership players who no longer are playing anywhere near well enough need to be traded or delisted e.g. Caddy, Castagna, Rioli, McIntosh. We cannot overpay to keep Shai or CCJ. Incredibly important list management decisions are coming.
Couple of points I’d like to call out.

Assuming we bring in a bunch of kids via the draft this year, we absolutely need more experienced players around them to guide and protect them. Offloading the likes of Castagna, Rioli and McIntosh is lunacy considering they are in the prime age bracket which we have so few players already. This is how dynasties turn into disaster.

If we are looking to move on some veterans then now is exactly the time when we can “overpay” on the likes of Bolton and CCJ. There is a minimum salary cap so we have to pay the money to someone. Plus these two both have nearly 10 years of quality football ahead of them. They will be core players to build around.

Redford

Tiger Legend
Dec 18, 2002
Tel Aviv
End of an era depends on next season.
That’s right Tiger Forcett Majors. While this season looks no better than being a bit part player in the finals - if we get there - it’s not to say that with a longer off season, bedding back down our game style which is all over the place this year, healing a bunch of blokes (terrible run of injuries), some positive list changes, a better draw next year and less Covid related interruptions, that we can’t challenge strongly again.

It will obviously be a very last throw at the stumps for a few players though next year.

Last edited:

Brodders17

Tiger Legend
Mar 21, 2008
Can this thread be merged with the other 6 "end of era" threads that have been started in the last couple of years. It will save a lot of repeating.

• Haha
Reactions: 2 users

Bennnny

Punt Road End. The best place to watch The Tiges.
Mar 29, 2005
Melbourne
www.indieinitiative.com
We lost to St Kilda in 17 and yet we won.
We looked to be trying to be a bit clever.
Our experienced players are rusty.
We need to settle.
Emma Murray is needed more than ever.
Trust in our leadership.
I continue to be immensely proud of what we have achieved, not just on the field.
As supporters we have had a great ride that will continue.

Reactions: 1 user

IanG

Tiger Legend
Sep 27, 2004
Melbourne
Not sure yet, our season has been completely riven by injuries and we have also been affected by the ridiculous Stack and CCJ fines. I think with close to a fully available list we can still beat anyone.