English Premier League threads [Merged] | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

English Premier League threads [Merged]

mrposhman

Tiger Legend
Oct 6, 2013
Yeah he was a great player. Hard to split him and Tim Cahill although Cahill performed better for the Aussie team.

Really liked Viduka but couldn’t work out why he didn’t have a greater impact on the national team. Those with more knowledge than me on the world game may be able to shed some light.

At his best Viduka was a linking forward rather than the main man. He was great at bringing others into the game but wasn't a massive goalkicker himself. He needed other players around him to really gain the full value of Viduka.

Reactions: 1 users

tigerman

It's Tiger Time
Mar 17, 2003
Leeds have gone 3 points clear after beating 4th placed Fulham 3-0, and 2nd placed West Bromwich lost to 2-0 to 3rd placed Brentford.

AngryAnt

Tiger Legend
Nov 25, 2004
At his best Viduka was a linking forward rather than the main man. He was great at bringing others into the game but wasn't a massive goalkicker himself. He needed other players around him to really gain the full value of Viduka.

He scored heaps in the NSL, Croatia, SPL, and EPL. I've often wondered why he never scored more for Australia but yeah, he tended to play that forward with the back to goal to use his strength, receive and lay it off, particularly in the later years like in 2006.

mrposhman

Tiger Legend
Oct 6, 2013
He scored heaps in the NSL, Croatia, SPL, and EPL. I've often wondered why he never scored more for Australia but yeah, he tended to play that forward with the back to goal to use his strength, receive and lay it off, particularly in the later years like in 2006.

I wouldn't say he scored heaps in the Premier league, 94 goals in 240 games. I lot of that was down to the role he played and who he was playing with.

I saw him live for Leeds and a number of times for Middlesbrough, and his role was aimed at bringing others into the game, similar style to the much maligned Emile Heskey who played a similar role at a similar time.

At Leeds, he played with players like Kewell and Robbie Keane and his role was to bring them into the game. He was a bit more attacking at Leeds than he was at Middlesbrough and then at Newcastle where he was essentially completed played in that role and goals were a distant secondary as the aim was to bring others into the game such as Michael Owen and at Middlesbrough Jimmy Floyd Hasselbaink, both players with great speed, loved to be played in behind the last defender and thats pretty much how Vidukas role was designed.

Seemed to be similar for Australia, possibly to the detriment of Viduka who was highly skilled despite the viewpoint that he was mainly a big presence and could control the ball in front of the centre halves and bring others into the game. I'm not sure who was playing forward with him in the Australian National team at this time, possible Kewell, but not sure what formation they were playing, maybe 433 so could have been a similar thought pattern to what Middlesbrough and Newcastle in particular had for Viduka.

AngryAnt

Tiger Legend
Nov 25, 2004
Seemed to be similar for Australia, possibly to the detriment of Viduka who was highly skilled despite the viewpoint that he was mainly a big presence and could control the ball in front of the centre halves and bring others into the game. I'm not sure who was playing forward with him in the Australian National team at this time, possible Kewell, but not sure what formation they were playing, maybe 433 so could have been a similar thought pattern to what Middlesbrough and Newcastle in particular had for Viduka.

Good points Posh.

Yeah, he was often the solitary target man, with Kewell and Bresciano mostly as attacking mids in support. I think he was almost the most skilled player ever for Australia but maybe he got typecast as an Emile Hesky type because he was so strong and a big physical presence as well. Viduka was nearly done by the time Timmay was making a name for himself as a striker for us.

mrposhman

Tiger Legend
Oct 6, 2013
Good points Posh.

Yeah, he was often the solitary target man, with Kewell and Bresciano mostly as attacking mids in support. I think he was almost the most skilled player ever for Australia but maybe he got typecast as an Emile Hesky type because he was so strong and a big physical presence as well. Viduka was nearly done by the time Timmay was making a name for himself as a striker for us.

I do think that Cahill was played out of position also. Cahill was and always was throughout his career a midfielder but was played forward by Australia. It showed how good he was that he could be so good in that position but he was outstanding as a midfielder in the premier league but due to his ability was played out of position as Australia couldn't find a good striker at that position.

AngryAnt

Tiger Legend
Nov 25, 2004
I do think that Cahill was played out of position also. Cahill was and always was throughout his career a midfielder but was played forward by Australia. It showed how good he was that he could be so good in that position but he was outstanding as a midfielder in the premier league but due to his ability was played out of position as Australia couldn't find a good striker at that position.

Played out of position maybe but he's the alltime Australian goalscorer for the national team, so I'm happy he was! How many times did his goals save us in WC qualification?

1593324849581.png

Timmay was always a box to box midfielder and there was no place for that in our system. Not the most technical player in the midfield.

Midsy

I am the one who knocks.
Jan 18, 2014
London
Played out of position maybe but he's the alltime Australian goalscorer for the national team, so I'm happy he was! How many times did his goals save us in WC qualification?

Timmay was always a box to box midfielder and there was no place for that in our system. Not the most technical player in the midfield.

Cahill is also in 6th position for the most headed goals in the EPL, which, considering his height, is a remarkable feat.

tigerman

It's Tiger Time
Mar 17, 2003
Hernandez scored for Leeds United after 89 minutes, giving them a 1/0 win against Swansea. With 3 games to go we are 6 points clear of the 3rd placed team. Not even Leeds could blow it this time.........could they:help

Last edited:

tigerman

It's Tiger Time
Mar 17, 2003
Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user

Baloo

Delisted Free Agent
Nov 8, 2005
Viduka under-performed for the National Team. Maybe that's unfair. He never took a came by the scruff of the neck and won it for us. No questioning his endeavor though.

Timmy was one of the greats of National football, but it's only longevity that puts him that high up.

For mine, the player that always seemed to play better for Country than Club was Kewell. I'd put him up there with one of the best footballers ever produced by Australia.

AngryAnt

Tiger Legend
Nov 25, 2004
Timmy was one of the greats of National football, but it's only longevity that puts him that high up.

LOL wut? Timmay saved our arses in qualification so many times it's not funny. He also scored at every World Cup he played at - four from memory.

taztiger4

Shovelheads- Keeping hipsters off Harley's
Jul 13, 2005
Richmond Victoria
Hernandez scored for Leeds United after 89 minutes, giving them a 1/0 win against Swansea. With 3 games to go we are 6 points clear of the 3rd placed team. Not even Leeds could blow it this time.........could they:help

Congrats mate

WBA lose so Leeds promoted after 16 years out