Essendon = Entitlement | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Essendon = Entitlement

Scoop

Tiger Legend
Dec 8, 2004
The Dodo rumour has always been he does the job for next to nothing because he made a motza out of the Armstrongs Creek deal.

leon

Tiger Legend
Apr 6, 2014
Such a shame that Clarkson didn’t accept the Bombers job.
And that the Brions didn't make the Grannie! Would have been a great promotion for the GF week with old Fages stood down. Desperate call-out to Leigh Mathews to get back into harness?

Just what Gil might deserve? Imagine it.

Reactions: 1 user

thomas the tiger

Tiger Superstar
Apr 17, 2004
I have no doubt that Hird and Solomon will be appointed and it will be sold as after the process they could not be separated And that they will form a new innovative coaching partnership

No small coincidence that both were put forward as assistant coaches to GWS from the wilderness. The other GWS assistants were basically banished. This has been in motion for some time.

Reactions: 1 users

TigerForce

Tiger Legend
Apr 26, 2004
I have no doubt that Hird and Solomon will be appointed and it will be sold as after the process they could not be separated And that they will form a new innovative coaching partnership

No small coincidence that both were put forward as assistant coaches to GWS from the wilderness. The other GWS assistants were basically banished. This has been in motion for some time.
Going by the way Yze looked enthused when he jumped in his car after the 2nd interview, I reckon he'll get it. Jimmy Boy hasn't been called for a 2nd interview.

Reactions: 1 user

wammo

We're from Tigerland
May 16, 2007
This stuff gets thrown around all the time but there are huge holes in that.

Firstly, peptides are much more complicated than that certainly not automatically illegal. There wouldn't be many players to this day who aren't consuming peptides as they are ubiquitous in things like protein shakes that are perfectly legal. Whey Powder is a peptide for example.

Secondly, the notion that James Hird would have the knowledge to understand a substance was a peptide is just absurd. As is the idea that someone like Dank would explain the make-up of supplements to him in those terms. It is much more likely that Hird's understanding was that of most laypeople, who use this buzz term 'peptide' and picture it like a little magic pill you take and get faster and stronger. I'd bet that was also the basis of the question to the AFL.
It’s an athletes absolute responsibility to know exactly what is going into their body and Hird, as coach, and obvious alpha in this situation simply had to do better. But he didn’t, he pressured vulnerable athletes to do what he said.
He may not be evil, but he screwed up massively in this situation. Don’t really understand why you feel he deserves defending.

Reactions: 5 users

The Big Richo

Tiger Champion
Aug 19, 2010
The home of Dusty
It’s an athletes absolute responsibility to know exactly what is going into their body and Hird, as coach, and obvious alpha in this situation simply had to do better. But he didn’t, he pressured vulnerable athletes to do what he said.
He may not be evil, but he screwed up massively in this situation. Don’t really understand why you feel he deserves defending.

I agree wholeheartedly with the first part but it reads to me like you are saying the players are absolutely responsible but also Hird is responsible for them as well.

And then by extension the consensus seems to be Hird is also responsible for other staff, mostly people he does not manage or is managed by.

wammo

We're from Tigerland
May 16, 2007
I agree wholeheartedly with the first part but it reads to me like you are saying the players are absolutely responsible but also Hird is responsible for them as well.

And then by extension the consensus seems to be Hird is also responsible for other staff, mostly people he does not manage or is managed by.
Nice word play.
ASADA says that all athletes are ultimately responsible for what goes into their body. Unarguable.
Sport is littered with examples of athletes being convinced, coerced, or forced to do things that put them into a position of having breached ASADA rules. One of many examples of the consequences of power imbalance in sport/society that are rightly being brought under heavy scrutiny at the moment.
Hird could have stopped this situation, or sanctioned it. The choice he made had repercussions for all concerned.

Reactions: 8 users

jimbob

Tiger Superstar
Jul 20, 2008
Traralgon

The issue is…for mine…he was NOT at any stage, a lily white conductor at the front of the stage waving his pristine gloves and baton to time the performance. He was in it up to his neck. Taking his own vanity injections from the same drug pushers and interested in the business angles of the outcomes and cutting the “proper” medical man out of the process for saying ‘hey, hey, this ain’t right”. He was however orchestrating the ‘whatever it takes campaign”.

He had a significant part in bringing those same unqualified people into proximity of the playing list.

As much as I detest Essendon and the Hird’s of the world, I feel, mainly for the young players at Essendon introduced to this drug program as they didn’t know any better. I take my hat off to Zaharakis for not going down that path, even if the reason stated was he didn’t like injections. Good on him for not going through with something that reeked of not being right.

If only they had chosen Chemist Warehouse as a sponsor instead.

Reactions: 5 users

wammo

We're from Tigerland
May 16, 2007
I've asked this before in this discussion without really getting an answer.

What should he have done?
I've asked this before in this discussion without really getting an answer.

What should he have done?
Well, not have anything to do with it would have been a good starting point.
Failing that, insisting on medical oversight would have been a pretty simple course of action.
Realistically, there are any number of actions that he could have taken to avoid the catastrophic outcome that eventuated.

Reactions: 8 users