Essendon = Entitlement | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Essendon = Entitlement

AngryAnt

Tiger Legend
Nov 25, 2004
I think that just shows how poisoned the water is around Hird. He doesn't try and bypass Reid, he asks a colleague to talk to him and use his 'United Nations' skills, ie negotiate an outcome.

He also says they don't want to push the boundaries and they need to stay inside the rules, but people don't take that at face value.

The reason he was wanting the program to run is pretty clear I think. He has these two bozos telling him this is cutting edge stuff and the other clubs are ahead of them and getting an advantage. They are also telling him Dr Reid isn't up to speed with this modern stuff and is just unsure because he doesn't understand it.

Like every elite coach, Hird is obsessed with success. So he is susceptible to being conned and trusts the wrong people. He thinks they are doing everything within the rules because he has repeatedly said that and trusts they will. He believes them when they tell him other clubs are miles ahead of them and they need to catch up and that this is so cutting edge the old man Dr doesn't understand it. He is frustrated when other teams are getting this advantage and his is not.

It all comes back to the real culpability here again. Why was Hird exposed to a situation where he could be manipulated by conmen and idiots? Because Robinson and Dank were employed with no due process. No reference checks, background checks or validation of qualifications. Because they weren't adequately supervised or managed by their superiors who also failed to ensure their compliance with critical aspects of their role such as record keeping.

The board, Robson, Hamilton, asleep at the wheel and leaving their club to be violated by incompetents.

Hird meanwhile is repeatedly stating things have to be done correctly, by the book and with Drs approval and most importantly inside the rules and yet he is the villain, even though those very same superiors fail to ensure Hird's wishes are acted on by staff they manage, as well as failing to act or respond to the same concerns.

Agree completely on the failures in appointments, background checks, terrible management by the board and everyone else.

All we disagree on is Hird's level of culpability - you see him as a naive victim driven by a strong desire to succeed, I see him as a man who was perfectly willing to bend the rules and even break them as long as they could get away with it, in order to succeed. Agree that it comes down to subjective interpretation of his motives and other actions/statements we don't know about.

As before I don't see him as the primary villain in all this, but he's up there.

I'm actually indifferent to him coaching again - he's done his time. I hope Essendon appoint him as it means they are still the same old Essington we know and love. If they are smart they won't though.

Reactions: 11 users

Willo

Tiger Legend
Oct 13, 2007
Aldinga Beach
I think that just shows how poisoned the water is around Hird. He doesn't try and bypass Reid, he asks a colleague to talk to him and use his 'United Nations' skills, ie negotiate an outcome.

He also says they don't want to push the boundaries and they need to stay inside the rules, but people don't take that at face value.

The reason he was wanting the program to run is pretty clear I think. He has these two bozos telling him this is cutting edge stuff and the other clubs are ahead of them and getting an advantage. They are also telling him Dr Reid isn't up to speed with this modern stuff and is just unsure because he doesn't understand it.

Like every elite coach, Hird is obsessed with success. So he is susceptible to being conned and trusts the wrong people. He thinks they are doing everything within the rules because he has repeatedly said that and trusts they will. He believes them when they tell him other clubs are miles ahead of them and they need to catch up and that this is so cutting edge the old man Dr doesn't understand it. He is frustrated when other teams are getting this advantage and his is not.

It all comes back to the real culpability here again. Why was Hird exposed to a situation where he could be manipulated by conmen and idiots? Because Robinson and Dank were employed with no due process. No reference checks, background checks or validation of qualifications. Because they weren't adequately supervised or managed by their superiors who also failed to ensure their compliance with critical aspects of their role such as record keeping.

The board, Robson, Hamilton, asleep at the wheel and leaving their club to be violated by incompetents.

Hird meanwhile is repeatedly stating things have to be done correctly, by the book and with Drs approval and most importantly inside the rules and yet he is the villain, even though those very same superiors fail to ensure Hird's wishes are acted on by staff they manage, as well as failing to act or respond to the same concerns.
Maybe they knew Hird had “absolute power” at the club with his long and historic connections.
Hird:
Untouchable,living club legend
Words are cheap, ”cover one’s own arse”
Dank kept Hird informed of what drugs he was going to use next. Did Hird query what they were, what effects they had or did he just want it all to be “black ops” but within “the rules”.
Did he question whether they were safe for use on his players? Did he think he had any responsibility to the players under his care?

We’re all rehashing points raised years ago.
I couldn’t care less if he got the coaches gig or not.
Great player. *smile* coach who neglected his own responsibilities to his players. Turning a blind eye and doing “whatever it takes” to improve his team.

Reactions: 6 users

RoarEmotion

Tiger Champion
Aug 20, 2005
Don't forget Hird doesn't manage these people, Paul Hamilton does. He is the one that should be monitoring their performance and compliance with those directives.
I get your logic - but if i ask someone to do something (that is critically important) and they work for someone else. I would ask the person, let their boss know I've asked them and explain why it is important it is done right and also check in that is on track at some stage.

You may ask your school teacher to do something for your kids - e.g. make sure they are aware your child needs some help with subtraction. The school teacher works for the principal. I guess you could hope the teacher helps your child out or you could ask your child or the teacher how it is going a few weeks later.... When you do nothing and the teacher doesn't help and your child stays back a year because of not being able to do basic maths then yep you can blame the teacher and the principal for employing the teacher but you've also failed in your duty of care as a parent.

TigerMasochist

Walks softly carries a big stick.
Jul 13, 2003
Has Duddorro got on the phone to De Goney yet??
Reckon Dodo's scuttling all over this one. Perfect scenario for Dodo to get a perfect 10 for trade week, get the Goo as a free agent 5 years at $800 k per year, perfect fit to bolster their mid forward set up n *smile* Colonwood over for free. Dodo b chubbin up.

Reactions: 1 users

jimbob

Tiger Superstar
Jul 20, 2008
Traralgon

Nuh. Nuh. Nuh. I would add some more nuh’s but it probably unnecessary. This is a person who is an absolute narcissist. Jimmy boy has been feted as a star and lapped it up so much he believed he was and IS the messiah.

He was the ONLY player that could take himself to any position on the field, at any time, because he felt like it and Sheeds and co would the make moves around him. Mussolini? An Italian political version of the golden one.

He LOVED supplements. While as a player and then was only too happy to have concrete injected into the buttocks of some of his players (‘their description, not mine) to build body mass. His txts reeked of potential personal financial gain outside of football if they got it right. They EXPERIMENTED on the playing list. He was doing what at the time? Playing domino’s??

No. He was asking the same guys injecting his playing list to juice him up for his own personal requirements at the time.

He was utterly disgraceful in his attack on Knights via Robbo in the media to get the job in the first place. After sniping via articles in the press, and would you believe it? Bobbing up as the next coach, when asked, have you spoken to Matt’s Knights he said…”i’ve txted him”…

Good on you James. You great and upstanding member of the community. You all round good guy that hugs bomber supporters when you kick a goal against WC. You are just a an all round champ.

A coach with an approximate 50/50 win loss record who was in charge in the the darkest period his club has ever endured in it’s entire ‘same old’ history. Came out with a statement in the press last week when spruiking for the job, said something along the lines of “ I know this might sound arrogant but i am pretty good at this”…… that was in reference to coaching.

Yes. Yes. It does arrogant Mr 50%. It’s like listening to an American telling you how good they are.

He is so full of himself that nothing else matters. And was prepared to leave no stone unturned in his attempt to be a premiership coach. Shane Charters is as shady as …. Back in strife at the moment. They have been mates for years. Shane provided him with supplements as a player. He provided all sorts of illegal (as far as our sport is concerned) “supplements” and has for years.

I would have more sympathy for Hird if all of those people were new to him and he had just transitioned from player to coach and someone else had brought them along. But that is not the case. And when it hit the fan? And he said the buck stopped with him? He then resorted to the courts.

Hird Lost EVERY legal challenge. Despite having the dough (another his) to afford someone better than Dennis Denuto from the Castle Film. Classic film of course.

No. He is not some ignorant, all round good guy who just put sauce on the pies for the guys after training to save them the effort.

One more Nuh.

Still your shout by the way.:)

Reactions: 3 users

thomas the tiger

Tiger Superstar
Apr 17, 2004
Hird the wonder player. Almost last pick in his draft but somehow became a star. All those fourth quarter heroics as he kept running when others slowed. …

Hird the wonder coach. Turned Watson into an elite athlete even though he hated training and was slower than a wet week. Had his team to about an 12/1 start to the season before they were asked a few questions.

Reactions: 2 users

mad_tiggy911

Tiger Legend
Mar 30, 2009
Hird the wonder player. Almost last pick in his draft but somehow became a star. All those fourth quarter heroics as he kept running when others slowed. …

Hird the wonder coach. Turned Watson into an elite athlete even though he hated training and was slower than a wet week. Had his team to about an 12/1 start to the season before they were asked a few questions.
The same question should be asked of Geelol.

• Love
Reactions: 1 users

seven

Super Tiger
Apr 20, 2004
It should. The unholy trio of Thompson, Robinson and Dank were there when they had one of their golden eras.
Geeelong said nothing happened and the AFL ticked it off with no investigation.
So Dank was handing out Peds at all the clubs he was connected to except for Geeelong?
Amazing

• Angry
Reactions: 4 users

The Big Richo

Tiger Champion
Aug 19, 2010
The home of Dusty
Still your shout by the way.:)

I'd be happy to shout all day, it would be a good discussion.

I think you're making a number of unfair assumptions about Hird's character there though.

The same question should be asked of Geelol.

Same question should be asked of about 15 clubs.

Should be said though, there's more chance of you growing hair on your back than becoming a good footballer with anything Dank gave you.

MD Jazz

Don't understand football? Talk to the hand.
Feb 3, 2017
I think you're making a number of unfair assumptions about Hird's character there though.
Ask Ben Crowe about Hird. Couldn't wait to get away from him in the end. Crowe sold out of Gemba because Hird was a loose cannon. A combination of ego and lack of IQ are pretty dangerous in the corporate world.

Reactions: 1 user