Essendon = Entitlement | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Essendon = Entitlement

The Big Richo

Tiger Champion
Aug 19, 2010
The home of Dusty
Leave the condescending tone aside.

Your comment to which I responded referred to others whom you assert were influenced by an alleged approach from the former AFL CEO. Yes, like most, I accept that occurred. Don’t deny me that knowledge as you seek to do.

My post asks the simple question, who are these others?

There’s circumlocution being employed in your acerbic response.

If you have evidence that implicated others, then you’re obliged to put it up.

Now. I did not respond in kind with any nastiness or obfuscation. Please note in any reply you may care to make.

In essence, this is a forum. You are an Administrator. You’ve made a claim. You have the onus of responsibility to make an adequate reply.

My apologies if you felt the post was condescending, it was certainly not intended to be so.

I'm not really sure what you are asking me for here?

In response to Tigerman asking why Essendon self reported I responded some people will tell you the AFL CEO encouraged them to, which he denies.

It's on public record that James Hird, Bruce Reid, Mark Thompson have said that and Paul Little has implied it in statements about it being a mistake to self report, as has Jobe Watson. Hird and Reid were both present when the phone call was made. I don't believe the other two people present (David Evans and Ian Robson have ever commented.

And by the way I'm not an administrator.

Bernie

Tiger Superstar
Aug 19, 2008
Tura Beach
My apologies if you felt the post was condescending, it was certainly not intended to be so.

I'm not really sure what you are asking me for here?

In response to Tigerman asking why Essendon self reported I responded some people will tell you the AFL CEO encouraged them to, which he denies.

It's on public record that James Hird, Bruce Reid, Mark Thompson have said that and Paul Little has implied it in statements about it being a mistake to self report, as has Jobe Watson. Hird and Reid were both present when the phone call was made. I don't believe the other two people present (David Evans and Ian Robson have ever commented.

And by the way I'm not an administrator.

jimbob

Tiger Superstar
Jul 20, 2008
Traralgon
Nothing to do with being a mere mortal, Bernard.

One of the key issues in this entire thing is that Hird (and Essendon post Evans) claim Andrew Demetriou called then Essendon chairman David Evans the night before and tipped them off to self report. I can't believe anyone who has followed this even slightly wouldn't be aware of that.

https://www.theage.com.au/sport/afl...eporting-hird-writ-states-20130822-2sdf5.html
I’m confused here TBR. Are you suggesting Hird was not guilty and is an all round good guy because the AFL tipped Essendon off to the investigation being launched??? Most people accept the AFL tipped Essendon off as fact. That does NOT exonerate any of the individuals at the Club involved. I am spewing they, the AFL did tip them off but they had to protect the brand didn’t they. If not….they (essendon) would have been caught with their hands in the cookie jar!!!

Reactions: 2 users

jimbob

Tiger Superstar
Jul 20, 2008
Traralgon
Essendon purely and simply adopted the deny, deny, deny Donald Trump approach and had time to do their best to ensure there was little evidence left by the time he authorities moved in. No doubt there would have been a lawyer or two in the coterie groups that would have said ‘we will beat this”. They underestimated the authority WADA and co have. That, when the trail is that strong it is then up to the charged entity to prove drugs were not taken. They lost every legal avenue they had. Every one. Including the court for arbitration in sport in Switzerland that upheld the WADA position. Had it been left to the AFL, then 5/8th’s of eff all would have been the penalty. My only sympathy lies with the players who were injected with whatever. Let’s not forget the txt exchanges between the Golden one and Dank and how the ‘trials’ were going. There was a related business angle to this on the side as well. I am slightly surprised he can look at himself in the mirror and be comfortable with the reflection but that is a narcissist to a tee.

Reactions: 3 users

The Big Richo

Tiger Champion
Aug 19, 2010
The home of Dusty
I’m confused here TBR. Are you suggesting Hird was not guilty and is an all round good guy because the AFL tipped Essendon off to the investigation being launched??? Most people accept the AFL tipped Essendon off as fact. That does NOT exonerate any of the individuals at the Club involved. I am spewing they, the AFL did tip them off but they had to protect the brand didn’t they. If not….they (essendon) would have been caught with their hands in the cookie jar!!!

Not at all, someone asked why Essendon self-reported and I'm merely saying there's a school of thought that says they were told to by the AFL.

Mind you if I was Essendon and was told to self-report and then found out the AFL knew of at least a dozen other clubs with questionable practice and didn't tell them to self-report, I'd be a bit annoyed.

RoarEmotion

Tiger Legend
Aug 20, 2005
Mind you if I was Essendon and was told to self-report and then found out the AFL knew of at least a dozen other clubs with questionable practice and didn't tell them to self-report, I'd be a bit annoyed.
So in your opinion what would the AFL’s logic be to just ask Essendon (and why Essendon) to self report? This on the basis your unproven assertion about other clubs is factual. (Although im convinced you believe it to be 100% true)

Reactions: 1 users

The Big Richo

Tiger Champion
Aug 19, 2010
The home of Dusty
So in your opinion what would the AFL’s logic be to just ask Essendon (and why Essendon) to self report? This on the basis your unproven assertion about other clubs is factual. (Although im convinced you believe it to be 100% true)

My guess is it was a combination of political pressure and wanting to get Steve Dank.

Reactions: 1 user

The Big Richo

Tiger Champion
Aug 19, 2010
The home of Dusty

tigerdell

Hope springs infernal
Mar 29, 2014
Had a paper round once, that was pretty good fun and as close to being a postie as one can be without being one.
Did you have a scooter or a pushie?

In the end the paper rounds went to adults with cars, my bold man did it. Super hard with very early starts and driving with windows open on freezing winter mornings

The Big Richo

Tiger Champion
Aug 19, 2010
The home of Dusty

In the end the paper rounds went to adults with cars, my bold man did it. Super hard with very early starts and driving with windows open on freezing winter mornings

Pure old school pushie style, with the milk crate secured to the handlebars with occy straps to hold the papers.

I got pretty good after a while though, could ride down the middle of the road no hands and hit houses left and right handed on both sides.

tigerdell

Hope springs infernal
Mar 29, 2014
Pure old school pushie style, with the milk crate secured to the handlebars with occy straps to hold the papers.

I got pretty good after a while though, could ride down the middle of the road no hands and hit houses left and right handed on both sides.
Living the dream Ginger Reggs!

• Haha

jimbob

Tiger Superstar
Jul 20, 2008
Traralgon
Not at all, someone asked why Essendon self-reported and I'm merely saying there's a school of thought that says they were told to by the AFL.

I reckon most people following the AFL are very confident that the AFL told them to self report. I am one of those people. I don’t care what Andy D said - damn straight he told them to self report. Essendon’s program was systemic. One wonders how significant the ramifications could have been (a) for the AFL but (b) big time for Essendon. I suspect (no proof here) that the penalties may have been far worse if they had not self reported. The AFL did Essendon a favour. A big fat favour. AND if Ben McDevitt from ASADA is correct in his assertion yesterday, they could have had an NRL penalty (Cronulla?) which was much more lenient. But they chose to, shall we say……ummm….not be able to locate any detail on the program…..none at all…..(far be it from me to say that maybe said detail was….ummm…..destroyed?) and then contest on the Trumpian theme.

Stuff em.

Reactions: 7 users

TT33

Yellow & Black Member
Feb 17, 2004
Melbourne

Doing it in a car!!! Nah that's for softies.
Doing it on a pushie, freezing cold mornings with frost on the ground, your fingers sticking to the handle bars because you couldn't wear gloves with fingers (couldn't roll the papers properly with full gloves). Also in winter it'd be hissing rain, or hailing, thunder, lightning the whole shebang. You'd finish up as wet as a shag with black hands & clothes from the newsprint. Would then ride the 2 miles home get cleaned up, have breakfast & ride 5 miles to school, again often in the wet, freezing until late morning when I eventually dried out.
Summer time was pretty good though, saw some fantastic sunrises.

Redford

Tiger Legend
Dec 18, 2002
Tel Aviv
You ever see a postie look unhappy on one of these? Me neither.

Last Postie I saw unhappy was Jayden, always mopped as opposed to moped driving happy posties.
Agree. Every postie I’ve ever known loved their job. Our local postie is a really nice guy. Have a chat to him often. He loves it.