Essendon = Entitlement | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Essendon = Entitlement

Baloo

Delisted Free Agent
Nov 8, 2005
Why has fox footy now become the Bombers channel, bunch of cheating losers.
The fact they are celebrating a team that ran a clandestine doping campaign and when caught destroyed all records so the players have no idea what they were repeatedly injected with is simply damning. The AFL and it's sycophantic press are still trying to white wash what Essendon were found guilty of in international courts.

Seriously should have folded the club and given it's license to Tasmania, or Broome.

Reactions: 5 users

WesternTiger

Tiger Legend
Nov 7, 2004
Why has fox footy now become the Bombers channel, bunch of cheating losers.
I dumped Fox in July after 10 years and went to Kayo for the remainder of the footy season ( have cancelled that now until preseason games). Havent missed it one bit.

• Haha
Reactions: 1 user

Number8

Tiger Superstar
Oct 12, 2010
Melbourne
It's February and expectation—again!— reigns supreme among the AFL's least relevant club.

Must be time to give my favourite non-Richmond topic a kick along!

https://www.theage.com.au/sport/afl...o-win-a-final-says-lloyd-20220301-p5a0jt.html

So, our old mate 'Lordo' feels his loins stirring and tells us the mighty Bombers 'have a lot of talent, as much talent as the top four or five in the competition'.

The president, some inconsequential bloke named Paul Brasher, gives us the benefit of his scholarly football wisdom by adding 'we just think some time in the next two or three years, we’re going to be a serious contender'.

But all I hear is: after all this time and all those finals failures and all the years when we cheated, today's the day we deserve to be taken seriously! Actually, no, we're entitled to be taken seriously!

Timestamp 2022. The Bombers still fail to go quietly about their business and let results speak for themselves.

Oh, no. They're far too important for that.

• Love
Reactions: 4 users

TigerForce

Tiger Legend
Apr 26, 2004
I want to read Micky's delirious article on why (how) they will win flag.

I think we'll be visiting this thread often this season.

hutstar

Tiger Superstar
Dec 17, 2002
Florida
It's February and expectation—again!— reigns supreme among the AFL's least relevant club.

Must be time to give my favourite non-Richmond topic a kick along!

https://www.theage.com.au/sport/afl...o-win-a-final-says-lloyd-20220301-p5a0jt.html

So, our old mate 'Lordo' feels his loins stirring and tells us the mighty Bombers 'have a lot of talent, as much talent as the top four or five in the competition'.

The president, some inconsequential bloke named Paul Brasher, gives us the benefit of his scholarly football wisdom by adding 'we just think some time in the next two or three years, we’re going to be a serious contender'.

But all I hear is: after all this time and all those finals failures and all the years when we cheated, today's the day we deserve to be taken seriously! Actually, no, we're entitled to be taken seriously!

Timestamp 2022. The Bombers still fail to go quietly about their business and let results speak for themselves.

Oh, no. They're far too important for that.
I think he's just trying to sell some memberships, but whatever tickles your fancy.

T-Shirt Tommy

Have you got the oven on?
Apr 11, 2011
Unpopular opinion, but unfortunately I think that the Bombers are on the right track. Seriously hope I'm wrong.

Getting rid of players like Daniher and Fantasia was the best thing they could have done. Got a top ten draft pick for Saad and replaced him with a bargain in Nick Hind. Have a really good midfield and looks like their drafting is beginning to pay off. Stringer starting to perform consistently.

I feel dirty.

Reactions: 5 users

Brodders17

Tiger Legend
Mar 21, 2008
For once I am in lock step with PREnders on this one.

Essendon must fail. The whinging about Geelong is tedious enough, if Essendon start having success it will be unbearable.
you mean another 10 years without a flag? i dont think there will be much complaining around here.

• Haha
Reactions: 1 users

RobsJourney

Tiger Cub
Sep 24, 2020
Unpopular opinion, but unfortunately I think that the Bombers are on the right track. Seriously hope I'm wrong.

Getting rid of players like Daniher and Fantasia was the best thing they could have done. Got a top ten draft pick for Saad and replaced him with a bargain in Nick Hind. Have a really good midfield and looks like their drafting is beginning to pay off. Stringer starting to perform consistently.

I feel dirty.
I feel dirty because of all of the theft they have done to us, it makes me feel genuinely sick when I watch them. Yes, we had lots of success we can be happy about, but it was the new culture and new Richmond I cared about, I enjoyed 2017 so much way before we won the flag, I was just happy to see how we had transformed into a fun team I loved to watch, and Essendon took that all away and took it on for themselves, piece by piece.

The absolute gut punch? My best mate whom I always discuss footy with, he's an Essendon supporter. Can barely look him in the eye when it comes to footy anymore, I have to stop myself from saying things that will make him feel bad that his team has come good. He messaged me recently saying how happy he was they got Wanganeen, inside I wanted to say get stuffed, but it's not a personal thing so of course I won't say that, I just hate his club now. All I could muster was a thumbs up.

Copying and a little poaching in the AFL is standard fare, I get that. Everyone tries to emulate the best. Normally teams look to get a coach and/or a player from a really good team, perhaps one or multiple teams will try to emulate the style (or certain aspects of the style) of a really good team. But it has gone THIS far for Essendon:

- First they took Rutten.
- Second they took a still-contracted Caracella.
- They clearly then took the gamestyle, obvious in the preseason games in 2020 when I saw their forums and them jizzing at the "forward handball".
- At the same time they grabbed Townsend (fair, he was delisted, but still).
- They then start using our unique terminology like "celebrating" each other and their weaknesses and strengths.
- They start goofing around and smiling in the huddle, Richmond-like, being jokers, Heppell walks around looking like a goof, enters the field the EXACT same way as Cotchin does.
- They bid on Maurice Rioli jnr.
- They steal a RICHMOND VFL PLAYER, Sam Durham, just before we were (supposedly) going to take him.
- 2021 arrives and Richmond now resembles 2016 again, and as sick as I feel, Essendon do look to be playing how we did in 2017 (just not quite as good - yet?), filling the TV screen with Black and Red, pressuring like mad, swarming forward in waves.
- They start appearing in media for being cultural shining lights in a Richmond-esque way.
- Pre-2022 arrives and they steal yet another Richmond VFL player, McDonagh, and recruit our legend who retired in weird circumstances, a man we've absolutely PINED to have back at the club, Alex Rance (thankfully now left Essendon for some reason).
- They add red to the collar of their guernsey ala Richmond 2017 adding yellow (and some to the sleeves which we didn't do).

Like... I am almost lost for words. What the actual *smile* is all of the above? They have basically stolen and absorbed everything we created, then taken it on as their own, like some blob entity. No single team has ever gone THAT hard on taking stuff from another team. And what are we left with? We still don't really know, but the signs weren't amazing against Geelong on the weekend at times, despite winning. We've definitely lost that swarm and buzz that was so fun to watch and I genuinely *smile* hate Essendon for doing that to us, and when (if) I happen to watch them, and any success it brings them, I'll just turn my nose up at it and say it's all fake and stolen, be as smug as you like (looking at you Stringer and Parish you smug *smile*) but you still suck deep down, and all you've done is thefted your way to being any good.

Anyway sorry, rant over, you can see how much I hate them. As I said to my Essendon mate, who exasperatedly said during a brief discussion on it, "But you just won 3 flags, I'd love to be in that position!" - "Yes, but it's not about the flags, we created a new culture and gamestyle, a new Richmond that had an identity we've never had in my 30 years of watching (I'm nearly 35), and Essendon has just taken that away, and perhaps also made our success look fake, as if it was only ever due to Caracella and THAT gameplan." And to some degree that's how I really feel, too, as if Essendon can now make a flag push with that style and Caracella, and we were never really THAT good without it. Our change in identity was just too brief, and it's their bloody fault.

To put a final little bit of icing on a *smile* cake, they took Ben Hobbs in the draft who I really wanted and thought we needed badly (our midfield is the current biggest need and we didn't address it), after we passed on him... Watch him become a 200-gamer for them. I'm sure Gibcus will be very good but, right now when we have a small window potentially still open, it's quality midfielders we needed to push/stay afloat, then take us into the next phase. Could have gotten a key defender when it was definitely time to fully rebuild, then partner him with Balta alongside Vlastuin and perhaps Broad will still be there.

I took a Reddit re-post meme and made it suit the Bombers:

1646104913215.png

So yeah, however long Essendon play like this, I'll never take it seriously as it's all stolen, and I'll hate them for a good long while.

PS. I know we still beat them in 2021, but you can't tell me our "style" isn't somewhat gone and taken by them. Also they came roaring back in that 2021 game and I really dunno how we kicked 7 goals in 10 minutes.
Anyway, what it brings them remains to be seen, but I for one will turn my back to it.

Last edited:
  • Haha
  • Love
Reactions: 11 users

DavidSSS

Tiger Legend
Dec 11, 2017
Melbourne

I feel dirty.

They may well be. I think the really worrying sign is that they look to be being a lot more realistic. Getting rid of players who weren't as good as their reputations was a good start. But, the main one is that they are saying they are looking to build for a premiership within the next few years. If they have lost that delusional "we will win it this year" attitude they might bloody well succeed, and a travesty it will be if they do.

Look at Melbourne. Built a team, got into the finals in 2018. Their points against at the end of the H&A season was very high and you could see that would be a weakness in finals. They got smashed in WA in a Prelim. Lo and behold, and very out of character for the last 50 years, they saw their strengths and their weaknesses and fixed them. Now here we are, a Melbourne premiership.

I suppose if we could get our act together, and probably moreso, if Melbourne could get their act together, anyone can (Freo still look a basket case though, except for their Women's team who really are good, and Gold Coast remains the place where professional sporting teams go to die).

DS

Number8

Tiger Superstar
Oct 12, 2010
Melbourne
The whinging about Geelong is tedious enough, if Essendon start having success it will be unbearable.
I see it differently. If Essendon starts having success it will blessedly put an end to a tragic 20+ year period of baseless pre-season twaddle. Could a club be any more pathetic than Essendon? It's the expectation of / entitlement to success that is insufferable.
Until Essendon works out it is a nothing club and nobody owes it anything, it will continue to blunder its way to irrelevance.

The fact is they're no more important, interesting or indispensable than North Melbourne.

And despite how that sounds, it would actually do them a lot of good to recognise that fact.
Lest we forget.