FIFA World Cup 22 | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

FIFA World Cup 22

I’ve often wondered what would happen if Croatia and Serbia drew each other in a World Cup. No need to go the the Balkans to feel the tension. Parts of south-western Sydney would indeed make for interesting viewing.

Imagine being the FIFA rep pulling the Serbia and Croatia balls out of the bucket, “Why not? This will be fun.”
Ooooooh! Bring on the bloodshed.

No Tunisia v France on SBS tonight??

Win or draw and we're through.
Both live, one game is on Channel 30, the other one is on CHannel 31.

I have the TV on SBS and next to it a good sized computer screen via a laptop to watch the second game live on SBS On-Demand.

Don't want to skip or flick channels and then miss something :LOL:

If you've got two TV's you could put them next to each other and kill it too man :cool:

Bale's clearly finished.

The frustrating thing for England, is I believe we came into the tournament with Southgate not knowing his best 11 and I still think we are in that position.
Southgate doesn't know his best 11, everybody else should.

Foden in, Foden IN, FODEN INN!!!! :eyes

I reckon Rashford and Foden should be definite starters, maybe Hendo too but that's what I'd start with, this morning's team.

I assume the Welsh players didn't watch this bearing in mind that boring and passionless display they put out this morning. I'm pleased with 3-0, but it could (and probably should) have been more than that. How Wales were in the top 20 Fifa ratings astounds me and shows how pointless they actually are.
In fairness to the ratings, it's a list of the best from top to bottom.
It doesn't tell you the standard of the game/code at that time.
If the standard of the game is poor, then you get Wales in the top 20.
If the standard is high, then you'd get for example nations like Romania and Bulgaria in the top 20 like we saw years ago with great players like Hagi, Berbatov, Popescu and others :)

Pretty excited about tonight. Spewing I can't go to the pub coz I'm dogsitting. But hoping we'll get the chance to do that in Sunday.

I know Arnold had a bit of a whinge about youth pathways in this country... And he's right. But that's not to say we don't have much coming through, which is a lot. We just wish it was so much more. Call me biased, but getting out of the group will be a vindication of the growth of the A-League.

Just a couple more observations...

People say we have trouble breeding natural goalscorers, but we are not alone here. Many
of the good teams have our issues.

And times are changing. You don't need to have all of your players playing in the "Top 5 Leagues" to be competitive in a world cup. Sure, I'm sure the big teams will be playing off for the trophy, but I'm convinced the rest of the world is catching up. Asia is doing reasonably well.

Reactions: 1 users
In fairness to the ratings, it's a list of the best from top to bottom.
It doesn't tell you the standard of the game/code at that time.
If the standard of the game is poor, then you get Wales in the top 20.
If the standard is high, then you'd get for example nations like Romania and Bulgaria in the top 20 like we saw years ago with great players like Hagi, Berbatov, Popescu and others :)
And maybe my favourite ever non-Aussie player - Hristo Stoichkov - what a star! And a player with a fair bit of *smile* in him. Loved him.

• Love
Reactions: 1 user
And maybe my favourite ever non-Aussie player - Hristo Stoichkov - what a star! And a player with a fair bit of *smile* in him. Loved him.
Holy craps, how did I miss him!! :oops:

Top goalscorer 1994 World Cup with six when Bulgaria finished fourth. Ballon d'Or in '94 as well, two second placings for FIFA World Player of the Year '92 & '94, five league titles with Barca, four in a row, a European Cup, UEFA Cup Winners Cup, Super Cup, multiple individual awards. He was a legend man :love:

Both live, one game is on Channel 30, the other one is on CHannel 31.

I have the TV on SBS and next to it a good sized computer screen via a laptop to watch the second game live on SBS On-Demand.

Don't want to skip or flick channels and then miss something :LOL:

If you've got two TV's you could put them next to each other and kill it too man :cool:
Watch your eyes Rice. Too much flicking.

• Haha
Holy craps, how did I miss him!! :oops:

Top goalscorer 1994 World Cup with six when Bulgaria finished fourth. Ballon d'Or in '94 as well, two second placings for FIFA World Player of the Year '92 & '94, five league titles with Barca, four in a row, a European Cup, UEFA Cup Winners Cup, Super Cup, multiple individual awards. He was a legend man :love:
And always angry.

• Haha
Watch your eyes Rice. Too much flicking.
Haven't missed a World Cup since I was too young to remember them - 1974!! :LOL:
Remember them from Argentina 1978 onwards, then when I started work, I'd take the month off to watch them as they're always overnight until 2002 Korea/Japan.

Haven't missed a World Cup since I was too young to remember them - 1974!! :LOL:
Remember them from Argentina 1978 onwards, then when I started work, I'd take the month off to watch them as they're always overnight until 2002 Korea/Japan.
I vaguely remember the 1978 one (Maradonna was a kid), but the 1982 one in Spain? I remember more. Staying up late (excused by my Dad :)) ) and turning up to school half asleep.

• Love
And always angry.
Angry U say!! :unsure:

Because of his aggressive temper on the pitch; he could often be seen arguing with the referee, or with his opponents. At Euro 1996, after Bulgaria's final group stage match against France, he was accused by French defender Marcel Desailly of making insulting remarks about Desailly's race.

In 2006, he was sued by a former American University college student whose leg he broke with a violent tackle while playing in a friendly match for D.C. United in 2003.
The case was settled out of court in 2007 with undisclosed financial terms.

The student's coach called Stoichkov's challenge "criminal". Ray Hudson, who coached D.C. United for whom Stoichkov played at the time, called it a "rash tackle".

Following an investigation by Major League Soccer (MLS), Stoichkov was suspended two games and fined US$2,000.

When his autobiography was published, many players, celebrities and former Spanish referee Idefonso Urízar Azpitarte, who had sent off Stoichkov during the first match of the 1990 Spanish Super Cup final and was given the opportunity to symbolically stomp on Stoichkov's foot :ROFLMAO:

"In the Super Cup first leg between Barcelona and Real Madrid in December 1990, Stoichkov goes down under a challenge from Real defender Chendo with five minutes left.

As referee Urízar Azpitarte waves play on, Barca boss Cruyff races off the bench to remonstrate but earns a red.

That’s nothing compared to Stoichkov’s reaction.

He stormed over to Azpitarte and stamped on his foot, leaving the referee in agony.

“All of a sudden, he came towards me, and stamped on my instep,” recalls Azpitarte. “I tried to remain calm, but I was in a lot of pain. I could have suspended the game in that moment."

A two-month suspension duly followed."

1669807916033.png

I vaguely remember the 1978 one (Maradona was a kid), but the 1982 one in Spain? I remember more. Staying up late (excused by my Dad :)) ) and turning up to school half asleep.
1978 was the Mario Kempes show, I remember that fondly as I was a young striker at the time and they were my favourite players of course :love:

Then we got to Spain 1982 and Maradona wasn't selected for the 78 squad cause Menotti thought at 17 he was too young.

In '82 he was 21 and man, it must be on Maradona documentaries but you have to see the tackles he got as a youngster. Gentile for Italy was brutal in the Italy v Argentina game in 1982. The Brazil game he'd had enough and got sent off and Argentina got knocked out of that tournament.

And this tackle the next year in the Spanish League, man no wonder these guys go on drugs, you need the best painkillers around o_O
Goikoetxea was called the 'Butcher from Bilbao', Gentile was of Italian descent but born in Libya, so therefore he was called 'Gaddafi' o_O

Last edited:
1978 was the Mario Kempes show, I remember that fondly as I was a young striker at the time and they were my favourite players of course :love:

Then we got to Spain 1982 and Maradona wasn't selected for the 78 squad cause Menotti thought at 17 he was too young.

In '82 he was 21 and man, it must be on Maradona documentaries but you have to see the tackles he got as a youngster. Gentile for Italy was brutal in the Italy v Argentina game in 1982. The Brazil game he'd had enough and got sent off and Argentina got knocked out of that tournament.

And this tackle the next year in the Spanish League, man no wonder these guys go on drugs, you need the best painkillers around o_O
Goikoetxea was called the 'Butcher from Bilbao', Gentile was of Italian descent but born in Libya, so therefore he was called 'Gaddafi' o_O

Yep, somehow a lot stronger and more talented teams back then.

You're an encyclopedia Rice. Good to read. :))

Yep, somehow a lot stronger and more talented teams back then.

You're an encyclopedia Rice. Good to read. :))
Thanks TF (y) I know all the wrong stuff lol, zero in technical, skillful trades or Uni engineering/mechanical/science stuff.

BUT sport I had to read the papers from the back to the front (We had a milk bar) before I did my homework.
Didn't help the HSC results, dad wasn't happy!! :bash

Got lot's of books, paper cut outs, sports paraphernalia going back a long way.

My favourite is KB's 400 Footy Record versus the Pies, I did all his stats on the front cover and got him to sign it!! :eyes

I used to do that at home listening on the radio as well - do kicks, marks, handballs, free's for and against, goals and behinds while listening to the coverage, lol :LOL:

Sports Intoxicated!! :love: