FIFA World Cup 22 | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

FIFA World Cup 22

TigerForce

Tiger Legend
Apr 26, 2004
Let's not forget that the best natural ball athletes in this country get seduced to Aussie Rules, League to a certain extent, Rugby Union, now even Basketball. Sure a lot of kids play soccer but they are most probably talking about AFL at training. Soccer suffers in this country because it's not the #1 sport domestically.
Yep.

Reactions: 1 user

Mr Brightside

Tiger Legend
Jul 1, 2005
Wang
Truth be told I drew Australia in the World Cup sweep at work … that’s $5 I won’t see again .

Again we shall agree to disagree , I see the reasons you all come up with as valid yet still excuses and how do we create are world class winning culture , when there is always reasons focused on on why we don’t achieve higher then we do .

For the Love of Gus henick please don’t anyone reply to my Socceroo hating dribble , as I feel obliged to reply back

• Love

Baloo

Delisted Free Agent
Nov 8, 2005
Lucky you didn't get Germany. Would have hurt more.

• Haha
Reactions: 1 users

DavidSSS

Tiger Legend
Dec 11, 2017
Melbourne
Don’t be a flog , you should always know I respectfully always answer somebody who replies to one of my posts whether they agree or disagree , I’m not one who thinks there their opinion is the be all and end all

I’ll try and explain this in the way I see it and yes I’m no expert on the world game , I’m an Australian sports lover and yes I know most are not going to agree , however the same thing has been said about the Socceroos for years by experts all over the world. I simply do not except accept our country to be happy with the result we achieved, to me it’s well off achieving what we wanted to achieve , yes reality probably says right now that’s a good achievement for this squad , however as I keep saying our country has been attempting to win the World Cup for decades and I just don’t know how we can possibly think things are working with what we are achieving, it’s really like junior sport where we are happy to have just competed . I know basketball is not quite the same as it’s a much lesser field , however our men’s and women’s are both world class teams , Australian sport teams and athletes so often find a way to be the best or close to , the Socceroos don’t . We have a great strike rate at getting kids into Soccer , I’ll stand corrected however it was definitely the most participated sport in Australia for kids , we have the internet where soccer from all over the world is on , so why do we not translate this to having our national team full of super talented football players and been being one of the best national teams in the world ? So that’s what I’m saying how can we be happy with what they are achieving.

You’re not going to agree with me and that’s fine I have no issue with others having a different opinion to me .

As for calling me a whatever , that’s just *smile* weak for a grown man

I also am not very well versed in soccer, but I think you are missing a few points here.

I don't think Australia is remotely aiming to win the world cup, we're not delusional.

The fact of the matter is that, despite being a nation which does put an emphasis on and pride itself on sporting success, we're not even close in soccer.

Why is that?

Very simple, soccer is the third football code in this country. Australian Rules and Rugby League are the top 2 football codes in this country, they are the focus.

Could we be competitive in world cups? Maybe, actually I would say probably. But there is one pre-condition on this, soccer has to become the number 1 football code in Australia for that to happen. So, sure, we can compete for the world cup, but you're going to have to give up Australian Rules for this to happen.

As an Australian who grew up on Australian Rules Football I, for one, am not willing to do this. Good on the Socceroos but I love our home grown football, the original football, so remaining minnows in Association Football, well, I can live with that. It also won't stop me from throwing a barb at the AFL for being immensely insecure amateurs though.

DS

PS: it is accept, not except; their not there etc

• Love
Reactions: 2 users

Baloo

Delisted Free Agent
Nov 8, 2005
For the Love of Gus henick please don’t anyone reply to my Socceroo hating dribble , as I feel obliged to reply back
Guus Hiddink

If soccer received as much funding from all levels of government that the AFL does, Soccer would be in a much better place.

Reactions: 3 users

tigerdell

Hope springs infernal
Mar 29, 2014
I,ll bravely take up the brightsoccee mantle.

There are 2 facets to winning.
Players (having the cattle)
Off field (preparation, coaching, experience - spending)

the highlight of this WC is the success with lower ranked cows.
But looking at the long game, why are we in this place?

The AFL elite sports pathway is finely honed and well resourced. It provides top line athletes, skilled and mentally prepared to live a sports lifestyle. (Obvs not all make it)
Is soccer at/near the same level of pathway?

The argument that the AFL is the #1 code so soccer doesn't get access to top kids is spurious imo. More kids playing soccer as young kids. Plenty of opportunities for anyone good enough, we are a rich nation.
It will never be #1 but it can still be elite.
Other countries have junior academies that are driving improvements in 10yo, 12yo and 15yo kids.
What do we have?
There are elite sports kids choosing athletics, tennis, hockey before soccer.
The riches in soccer could be opening doors for many kids.

Ww know that Eeevan, Ivan, and Noah played soccer first. They chose aussie rules aa a career because they were not good enough to be pro soccer. Using them as an example is misleading. It is selecting the right type of athlete.

This team doesnt have players in top leagues. That speaks to the poor state of junior soccer.

Off field and money talks. But importantly its a long term preparation. Years and years of high level international friendlies for example. Because that gives the experience to cope with the pressure of swarming forwards who harrass and chase until the goalie coughs it up. Weve known that works since 2017!
But for the socceroos this was a step up in class.
A lesson that will be forgotten in 2026 when we again find out we are not in the top class.
So I agree that other teams, eg european and sth american, have an advantage. What do we do better to even it up?

I dont particularly care who is watching the a league or even the world cup. TV viewers dont translate into game winners.
But it helps administrators have cushy jobs and the players use the WC to get better gigs. Everyone wins right?

The short summation is that this WC was a very good result considering the players and preparation.
But thats been the same for the last 3 world cups.
When are there going to start from a better position?

Ricemagic

Tiger Superstar
Feb 8, 2021
Ivan Soldo - 202cm - Goalkeeper - Plays like Mark Schwarzer - Strengths - Strong arm, a good tap goalie - Expected Draft Projection - Shifter says "This boy could make a top 5 league if he focusses on his game and spends less time hanging around his cousins."

Noah Balta - 196cm - Central Defender - Plays like Sergio Ramos - Strengths - Known for his attacking forages and goalscoring skills - Expected Draft Projection - Shifter says "This is a confusing player - some say he should be a defender modelling himself on Virgil Van Rance, others think he's going to be the next Zlatan up forward."

Baloo

Delisted Free Agent
Nov 8, 2005
France and England through to the quarters. Convincing wins. Japan against Croatia and then Korea against Brazil. That might be it for the AFC after tonight's matches.

RoarEmotion

Tiger Legend
Aug 20, 2005
I’m enjoying the 3 Minute highlight packages. It’s about as much soccer as I can watch without Australia playing. Mbappe’s strikes were things of beauty. Video game stuff.

• Love

mrposhman

Tiger Legend
Oct 6, 2013
Pleased with England today. I reckon we have finally got the front 4 right. Kane striker, wide Foden and Saka and in the middle behind Kane is Bellingham (how good is he at only 19).

France look very good too, probably the 2 teams that have been the most impressive throughout (probably should include Brazil in there) and have to face each other in the quarters, should be a ripper of a game, could go either way.

Ian4

BIN MAN!
May 6, 2004
Melbourne
I'm not sure how you can deduce that the A-League is an exceptional standard from that performance. 10 of the starting 11 don't even play in the A league. Only Leckie is an A league player. Ignoring the deficiencies of the A League will not move it forward in any way. Agree that move state and federal spending should occur, but you are so defensive of the A League that you cannot even see where it sits within the hierachy and that it needs a significant change to improve its standard.

Sorry, i typed that from my phone, that was supposed to be excellent. But after thinking about it, I think underrated is a better choice of words.

You keep banging that drum Binman but it's not correct. A-League would be League 2 in England, maybe League 1 at a stretch. We punched above our weight in the World Cup and full credit to everyone involved. But even in the world cup you could see that most of our boys were a class below.

Come on man, we have had these debates before. A good A-League team would beat lower level English championship teams on their day. And they would finish a comfortable third in Scotland. Although they would struggle with a 40+ game season. I’ve seen some English championship games live and I am 100% convinced of this. I’ll also add that the record of players coming to the AL from the English championship is very poor. Victory signed a few of them 3 years ago and they were just garbage.

But your post is the type of stuff that brings it down. Too much negative talk. It would be nice if you talked about the AL with a glass half full attitude.

Love your passion BIN but if the A League is an exceptional standard why are the fans not turning up? The World Cup was a great tournament for Australia but let’s not get carried away with it being off the back of a successful domestic competition.

Well it’s a combination of a lot of things. Including mismanagement from the former FFA and the former TV rights holder 5hitting on the game. But a lot of changing have been made behind the scenes, with the clubs now running the AL and received a big financial boost from an equity investor. Not to mention a TV rights holder that actually gives a stuff. Crowds have returned in relatively good numbers so far this season and lets hope we get a world cup boost in the coming weeks.

There is a Melbourne derby in 2 weeks which I’m sure will sell out.

Nice post Ian. Given you are the most poassionate long-term local fan on this forum I'm willing to accept your word for the skill level of the A-league. I only really watch it on

I'm bullish about the codes future here. Our local club, Mt Eliza, is thriving. And the amount of time they are devoting to imptropving skills is phenomonal. The amount of coaching expoertise and information provided to coaches at all levels is impressive. And the extra sessions are available and encouraged for all the juniors. I can only see the game improving with more kids being exposed to higher level training at earlier ages if our club is an example.

We still have the issues of registration costs and a lack of infrastructure. There are not enough pitches to accommodate the number of players at junior level. Politics plays a part in this as well. There are no overnight solutions, but everyone saw at the world cup that the youth coming through is the best it has been for a long time.

Have basically zero knowledge of the world game , however I can’t comprehend how we can be happy with our achievements at this World Cup , I’m happy to be corrected , though didn’t we just scrape in against “ minnow” nations to make it to the WC ? Then we get well beaten by a power nation , then win a game we should win and then did an outstanding job of beating the worlds 10th best team , however knocked out in the first round of the last 16 .

I get what you’re saying. The late Johnny Warren said we can’t just have the ambition to make the world cup, but to win it. and he died before we qualified for Germany 2006.

But, you also have to acknowledge we were the lowest ranked team in our group. Getting out of the group as a pretty big achievement. I didn't expect it.

Expectation at the Women’s World Cup next year will be higher.

Reactions: 2 users

Ian4

BIN MAN!
May 6, 2004
Melbourne
It's going to be 16 Groups of 3 nations not the current 4 nation groups, so as to keep the finalists maximum games played at 7, not 8 or more and no one can complain about the players having to play more games.

Currently - 8 Groups of 4 = 3 games + RO16 + QF + SF + WCF = 7 games.

48 Nations - 16 Groups of 3 = 2 games + RO32 + RO16 +QF + SF + WCF = 7 games.

"The tournament will open with a group stage consisting of 16 groups of three teams, with the top two teams progressing from each group to a knockout tournament starting with a round of 32 teams. The number of games played overall will increase from 64 to 80, but the number of games played by finalists remains at 7, the same as with 32 teams. Each team will play one fewer group match than under the previous format, compensating for the additional knockout round. The tournament will also be completed within 32 days, the same as previous 32-team tournaments."

Top 2 go through, the same as the 32 nation World Cup and because it's only two group games you must perform in both and there's no third group game to help you get through or rest players. Five knockout games instead of 4 so a bit more exciting because you have to perform in all 7 games, not just 5 or 6.

Baloo

Delisted Free Agent
Nov 8, 2005
Come on man, we have had these debates before. A good A-League team would beat lower level English championship teams on their day. And they would finish a comfortable third in Scotland. Although they would struggle with a 40+ game season. I’ve seen some English championship games live and I am 100% convinced of this. I’ll also add that the record of players coming to the AL from the English championship is very poor. Victory signed a few of them 3 years ago and they were just garbage.

But your post is the type of stuff that brings it down. Too much negative talk. It would be nice if you talked about the AL with a glass half full attitude.
So you agree. A better A-League would beat a Bottom Championship. That puts the A-League at League 1 at best, which is exactly what I said.

Not sure calling it as it is more damaging than pumping it up as "exceptional" when it's clearly not.

mrposhman

Tiger Legend
Oct 6, 2013

Expectation at the Women’s World Cup next year will be higher.
Now I can agree with you here on both points. The womens world cup will have a lot of expectation for the Matildas to do well.

Back on the A league, yes I think the better teams "on their day" might be lower level Championship teams but that sits the league at around league 1 level as a whole. Needs to get a lot better to be able to compete better internationally and a big part of that is technical training. As I've mentioned several times, the technical deficiencies of the Aussies was very clear, lack of one touch play, needing additional time to control the ball etc. No-one is bagging any player here, I believe everyone on this thread just wants the best for the game (unlike that petty Gill the Dill) but to address your inadequacies you must 1st accept them.

I support a football club at the level I mentioned above (league 1 / lower championship level), Peterborough United. We were promoted in 2020/21 (Mark Beevers was in the team of the year) to the Championship. We strengthened our defense for the Championship and Beevers barely played, in a year we were relegated from the Championship. He joined Perth Glory in the A league off-season. Jason Cummings (now of Central Coast Mariners), also played for the Posh back in 2018/19, when he didn't really set the league alight, playing in League 1 for us (6 goals in 20 odd games). He was ok, but certainly not indicative of a player playing much above that level.

I know its only 2 players, but its indicative of the level that the A league is at right now.

BTW - what would you do to change the A league, do you like the marquee players (I think its a complete waste of money, wasted on talent that doesn't really want to play here and only doing so for the $'s)

jb03

Tiger Legend
Jan 28, 2004
Melbourne
Sorry Baloo , I can’t buy into that argument.

Like I said we are not new to this game , we have millions of participants , we have many players playing in the best leagues in the world , every other country is the same in not playing together each week , yes it’s a step forward , however I can’t buy this as some incredible achievement, no matter which way it’s spun 16th 15th whatever in the world is an achievement, if the Socceroos except this as success we will continue to be minnows imho .

I’ll leave this thread to those who know what they are talking about
If that is your criteria you wouldnt be posting on any thread.

• Haha
Reactions: 3 users

MD Jazz

Don't understand football? Talk to the hand.
Feb 3, 2017
We still have the issues of registration costs and a lack of infrastructure. There are not enough pitches to accommodate the number of players at junior level. Politics plays a part in this as well. There are no overnight solutions, but everyone saw at the world cup that the youth coming through is the best it has been for a long time.
Yeh, the lack of infrastructure requires government comittment. Surely that will change given its continued popularity at the junior level.

I think the other thing is clubs need to be part of the community like local football & cricket clubs are. I've played cricket & footy and they do their best to make sure people enjoy spending time at the club and make it attractive for whole families. Our soccer club has yet to generate that type of feel. We don't have club rooms (coming) and people just turn up for games and training and leave. You don't necessarily feel part of something bigger like you do when you are at your cricket club for example.

Brodders17

Tiger Legend
Mar 21, 2008
Yeh, the lack of infrastructure requires government comittment. Surely that will change given its continued popularity at the junior level.

I think the other thing is clubs need to be part of the community like local football & cricket clubs are. I've played cricket & footy and they do their best to make sure people enjoy spending time at the club and make it attractive for whole families. Our soccer club has yet to generate that type of feel. We don't have club rooms (coming) and people just turn up for games and training and leave. You don't necessarily feel part of something bigger like you do when you are at your cricket club for example.
my club is the same. a big part of that is very few juniors have parents playing seniors, and vice versa. and a lot of the kids that play prefer footy. they enjoy playing football, watch some premier league, but they are growing up with footy (and cricket) families, so they are their primary sports.
My boy's U11 team had 12 kids. 11 play Aussie Rules. when they start to clash in a couple of years, most will choose Aussie Rules, unless Football can win them over.

MD Jazz

Don't understand football? Talk to the hand.
Feb 3, 2017
my club is the same. a big part of that is very few juniors have parents playing seniors, and vice versa. and a lot of the kids that play prefer footy. they enjoy playing football, watch some premier league, but they are growing up with footy (and cricket) families, so they are their primary sports.
My boy's U11 team had 12 kids. 11 play Aussie Rules. when they start to clash in a couple of years, most will choose Aussie Rules, unless Football can win them over.
My son is in U14's, reckon you are right, most boys have chosen at that point. I don't think any play aussie rules as well at that age and above.

There really are some very very good players at this age. And the depth is impressive.