Footy Classified | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Footy Classified

Lloyd thinks now Essendon has won 3 games it's a chance to win a final.
Finals aren't played at telstra dome.
And he loves sticking the boots into us.
It makes sense he works with 'I hate Richmond Inc"

KB was an out & out Champion, absolutely no question of that. Remember he was only 5ft 9 tall (whatever thatisin centithingys) & weighed stuff all. He played in a very very tough era. Pendlebury is/was a very good player but not in the same class as KB. KB was also BOG in quite a few Grand Finals. Loved him.
Billy B when he was "on" could rip a game apart, destroy the opposition & carry the team to victory on his own. I've seen him do it. But on the other hand, when he had a bad day he was woeful. A man of extremes was Billy. Yes in later life he was diagnosed as bipolar.

Dusty is Dusty, enough said. He is/was awesome just unbelievable. Consistently good. If he didn't get that kidney injury who knows what could have been.

Dusty - Royce, Royce - Dusty, Dusty - Royce, Royce - Dusty. I must admit I struggle to separate them as the best players I've seen.

How lucky are those of us who've seen them both.

• Love
Reactions: 8 users
yeah, there is a difference between champions footballers and champions who are match winners. I reckon we have only had two in my lifetime, Dusty and Royce. They are rare.
Kevin Bartlett not a matchwinner. Now I've heard everything!
Last quarter goals in big games to snatch victory from the jaws of defeat were his specialty.
He wore opponents down week after week in an era when there was always someone trying to knock him out.
And then there was the 1980 finals series.
KB is the greatest Tiger of all.

Reactions: 8 users
KB was an out & out Champion, absolutely no question of that. Remember he was only 5ft 9 tall (whatever thatisin centithingys) & weighed stuff all. He played in a very very tough era. Pendlebury is/was a very good player but not in the same class as KB. KB was also BOG in quite a few Grand Finals. Loved him.
Billy B when he was "on" could rip a game apart, destroy the opposition & carry the team to victory on his own. I've seen him do it. But on the other hand, when he had a bad day he was woeful. A man of extremes was Billy. Yes in later life he was diagnosed as bipolar.

Dusty is Dusty, enough said. He is/was awesome just unbelievable. Consistently good. If he didn't get that kidney injury who knows what could have been.

Dusty - Royce, Royce - Dusty, Dusty - Royce, Royce - Dusty. I must admit I struggle to separate them as the best players I've seen.

How lucky are those of us who've seen them both.
The only thing is we were cruelly denied with seeing Royce at his best for a really long period by his knee injury. I wonder sometimes how long he would have played and how good he could have been during the latter part of the 1970's if he received the sort of treatment available now.
He was basically gone at 26 and only could give us cameos of his brilliance.
Royce was born in 1948. He was only 32 in 1980 when we won the flag and was long finished as a player by then. Astonishing to think he was 19 in 1967 when he played such a big part in a premiership side.

Reactions: 4 users
The only thing is we were cruelly denied with seeing Royce at his best for a really long period by his knee injury. I wonder sometimes how long he would have played and how good he could have been during the latter part of the 1970's if he received the sort of treatment available now.
Royce was born in 1948. He was only 32 in 1980 when we won the flag and was long finished as a player by then. Astonishing to think he was 19 in 1967 when he played such a big part in a premiership side.
Dusty Obrein once told me that Skinny Titus was the best player he had ever seen but Hart was the most dynamic footballer.
We have great players over the years..

Reactions: 2 users
Dusty Obrein once told me that Skinny Titus was the best player he had ever seen but Hart was the most dynamic footballer.
We have great players over the years..
yes we have.

My Dad knew Roy Wright a bit after he finished playing and said he was a great man and terrific player. He actually got to meet Captain Blood once through Roy and he was star struck by meeting the great man for years after. To my Dad and those of his era and before Dyer was Richmond, they idolised him.

CLICK ON X/TWITTER LINK BELOW TO VIEW VIDEO

"I don't know why any of these players are playing. What benefit is the club getting from picking these players?"
@kanecornes
on the Tigers who loom as potential tough calls for Adem Yze. #9FootyClassified | CH9 & 9Now

View attachment 22046
Of that list ,Naismith ,Grimes, are Gone ,maybe macca two,but Broad ,kosi are certainties to play on with pickett heavily dependent on reaching 100 games and if he's stuck on 90 something then on he goes.

Reactions: 1 user
For me it's almost I possible to go past a generational player who averaged well over 20 touches with 1.9 gls a game,that is super rare air,KB was also a big game player.

I remember in 1980 the geelong papers making fun of kb,they had a old wagon driven by Mark Bos running over kb,he ended up kicking 8 on him in a big September final.

Ps mark Bos was a brilliant Geelong defender in the 80s.

Reactions: 4 users
Last quarter goals in big games to snatch victory from the jaws of defeat were his specialty.
He wore opponents down week after week in an era when there was always someone trying to knock him out.
KB's 1980 finals series was ridiculous:

6.3 and 22 disposals against Carlton
8.0 (out of 14) and 17 disposals against Geelong
7.4 and 21 disposals in the grand final

Clutch goal in 67 and BOG in 73.

...and yet, I think Dusty stands alone for his 3 GF performances.

Reactions: 5 users
My cousin played in the late 70's early 80's and a knee injury ended his career as they took the cartridge out. He had his knees replaced about 5 years ago. Royces career would be extended these days it was butchery back then

Reactions: 3 users
KB's 1980 finals series was ridiculous:

6.3 and 22 disposals against Carlton
8.0 (out of 14) and 17 disposals against Geelong
7.4 and 21 disposals in the grand final

Clutch goal in 67 and BOG in 73.

...and yet, I think Dusty stands alone for his 3 GF performances.
Dusty and Jack. Hard to split them. Jack was a mountain in 2017. Crucial in the other two finals series.

Reactions: 1 users
I agreed with everything until the last line.

Yep, Sinners is way-off base with this one. KB's dominance in the 80s finals series has never been repeated.

I only saw the later post-1980 KB live and yeah, he was a great little opportunist forward - sad I never saw him as a champion on-baller who would kick a lazy 5 goals a game as well.

This page has a great summary of his achievements - https://www.tigerlandarchive.org/tiki-index.php?page=Kevin+Bartlett

5 goals or more 22 times in his career. Won our B&F award 5 times. Won our goalkicking award 5 times (including 1983 which I'd forgotten about). Most finals played, 59 finals goals (second to Titus). And all this as a midget rover/half forward flanker.

Heaps more accolades I left out.

• Love
Reactions: 6 users
It is interesting to look at our premiership years and speculate on norm smiths
In 1967 Billy Barrot was great but so was Royce. There is an argument to say Polly farmer may have won it in a losing side also
In 1969 any of Barrot, Bartlett or Mike Green could have won it
In 1973 and in 1974 KB, Royce and Sheedy were right up there again. Barry Richardson kicked 5 in 1974

KB could well have won 2-3 norm smiths (along with 1980) but Billy and Royce could have won a couple as well. It gives you an idea of who stood up in big games. Kevin Sheedy was also a great big game player.

Last edited:
Yep, Sinners is way-off base with this one. KB's dominance in the 80s finals series has never been repeated.

I only saw the later post-1980 KB live and yeah, he was a great little opportunist forward - sad I never saw him as a champion on-baller who would kick a lazy 5 goals a game as well.

This page has a great summary of his achievements - https://www.tigerlandarchive.org/tiki-index.php?page=Kevin+Bartlett

5 goals or more 22 times in his career. Won our B&F award 5 times. Won our goalkicking award 5 times (including 1983 which I'd forgotten about). Most finals played, 59 finals goals (second to Titus). And all this as a midget rover/half forward flanker.

Heaps more accolades I left out.
Hey, ease up on me😂 I said he was a champion player and then I said I may have been unfair 😎😎

I was blinded by youthful Royce and Bugsy love in those days.

I cried when Bugsy was swapped for Ian Stewart. I wanted Stewie but I *smile* idolised Bugsy Barrot.

Last edited:
  • Love
Hey, ease up on me😂 I said he was a champion player and then I said I may have been unfair 😎😎

I was blinded by youthful Royce and Bugsy love in those days.

I cried when Bugsy was swapped for Ian Stewart. I wanted Stewie but I *smile* idolised Bugsy Barrot.
You are forgiven

Bartlett was probably my favourite player in the 1970s, he was so reliable and always popped up when you needed him. 5 flags and possibly BOG in 3 GFs says it all.

Royce and Dusty have more "star" factor, more prominent and in some ways more spectacular, but hard to say they are in any significant way better than KB.

KB should have won the 1974 Brownlow, but umpires have always been deficient. Everything else he did achieve.

Just happy to have seen all 3 play.

DS

Reactions: 5 users
Sorry guys, but after Jack Dyer the greatest Tiger is Francis Bourke.