Footy Classified | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Footy Classified

Kevin Bartlett not a matchwinner. Now I've heard everything!
Last quarter goals in big games to snatch victory from the jaws of defeat were his specialty.
He wore opponents down week after week in an era when there was always someone trying to knock him out.
And then there was the 1980 finals series.
KB is the greatest Tiger of all.
I've seen richo and lynch change/win games too. The former didn't have the cattle around him to win enough games and the latter can't stay on the park enough to be consistent. Rance was another.

Reactions: 1 user
Sorry guys, but after Jack Dyer the greatest Tiger is Francis Bourke.
Now we’re down the rabbit hole:
1 KB
2 Royce
3 Four way tie : Francis, Jack R, Dusty, Richo
(I’m not quite old enough to rate Captain Blood)

• Love
No love for Mopsy Fraser?
Talk to any old timer and was rated highly, unfortunately played during a time Richmond was no good

No love for Mopsy Fraser?
Talk to any old timer and was rated highly, unfortunately played during a time Richmond was no good
Was my Dad’s favourite player of that era. Said they had to move Coleman off him one day. Sent a couple of thugs to rough up Mopsy, then moved Coleman back.

Was my Dad’s favourite player of that era. Said they had to move Coleman off him one day. Sent a couple of thugs to rough up Mopsy, then moved Coleman back.
Three things he was the best at were the left hook, right hook and upper cut.
Captain Blood had a better shirt front

Yep, Sinners is way-off base with this one. KB's dominance in the 80s finals series has never been repeated.

I only saw the later post-1980 KB live and yeah, he was a great little opportunist forward - sad I never saw him as a champion on-baller who would kick a lazy 5 goals a game as well.

This page has a great summary of his achievements - https://www.tigerlandarchive.org/tiki-index.php?page=Kevin+Bartlett

5 goals or more 22 times in his career. Won our B&F award 5 times. Won our goalkicking award 5 times (including 1983 which I'd forgotten about). Most finals played, 59 finals goals (second to Titus). And all this as a midget rover/half forward flanker.

Heaps more accolades I left out.
What a pleasure it was to be there at all 3 1980 finals. Without Kevin V Geel we do not win that game, ergo, the flag, and with him, we did it on the bit. An utter legend.

Reactions: 5 users
1. Dusty
2. KB
3. Hart
4. Richo
5. Bourke
The original discussion was match winners. Players who grabbed a game by the scruff of the neck and owned it.
Slightly different list to the best players we have had imo.

That’s why someone like Bugsy Barrot is on my list.

Reactions: 2 users
Bartlett was probably my favourite player in the 1970s, he was so reliable and always popped up when you needed him. 5 flags and possibly BOG in 3 GFs says it all.

Royce and Dusty have more "star" factor, more prominent and in some ways more spectacular, but hard to say they are in any significant way better than KB.

KB should have won the 1974 Brownlow, but umpires have always been deficient. Everything else he did achieve.

Just happy to have seen all 3 play.

DS
I think Richo warrants being in the conversation too - just played in an era where we had very poor teams.

Reactions: 2 users
Could somebody put up the 1980 gf goal, the one where kb got around Stan magro going for I think goal number 7

Last edited:
Enjoy all 7. The 7th and best one starts at 2:05

Without sounding like an old fart , geez it was a good game to watch back then. You didnt have 15 players around the ball every time it landed somewhere and allowed for a free flowing game. None of this "Stand" crap that you have today

Reactions: 8 users
Without sounding like an old fart , geez it was a good game to watch back then. You didnt have 15 players around the ball every time it landed somewhere and allowed for a free flowing game. None of this "Stand" crap that you have today
Agree. Funny that 1st goal to KB definitely was a 15 (now 50:mhihi) but the umpires were much, much better.

Have to admit that everytime I watch this 1980GF, I see us playing in the future. I really think we were pioneers of this free-flowing game we see today. No-one was able to catch us and couldn't believe the Scum were this bad.

Great support by Freamey with the shephard on Magro for Hungry's 7th.

Notice the non holding the ball call on The Macedonian Marvel?
Just threw it away after getting nailed by The Fleabag.
Just before 3rd KB goal.
They have been beneficiaries of dodgy calls for 40 years that family.
And continue to get "assistance" till this very day.

Reactions: 4 users