Footy media , love’m or hate’ m ? | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Footy media , love’m or hate’ m ?

CarnTheTiges

This is a REAL tiger
Mar 8, 2004
Victoria
Going on about the blatant deliberate OOB by Hartlett saying his teammate was in the vicinity. Haha!!
Yeah Rockliff was there, but he made no attempt to get the ball, it almost looked like he was guarding the space to make sure that the ball went out.

Reactions: 1 user

jb03

Tiger Legend
Jan 28, 2004
Melbourne
the funny thing is , the rule isn't even for deliberate.
ifs for "insufficient intent to keep the ball in play"
Yeah, when did that change? It is a pretty silly rule IMO but the Hartlett one was nearly the most obvious of the night

Reactions: 2 users

CarnTheTiges

This is a REAL tiger
Mar 8, 2004
Victoria
Yep. Port surprisingly have gone quiet on which jumper they’ll wear grand final day
They wouldn’t have been allowed to wear the bars anyway. Mark Williams stated it very clearly on The Front Bar the other week. Port Adelaide in the SANFL and Port in the AFL are 2 separate entities and they have different jumpers.

Reactions: 1 users

Ridley

Tiger Legend
Jul 21, 2003
Yeah, when did that change? It is a pretty silly rule IMO but the Hartlett one was nearly the most obvious of the night
It was clearly the most obvious. The others all had an element of bad luck about them but at least the umpires were consistent with it. Hartless just obviously belted it straight over the line with no other intention.

Legends of 2017

Finally!!!!!!!!!!!
Mar 24, 2005
Melbourne
Gee that Tim lane is a real piece of work. Was listening to 3aw in the car earlier and twice he tried to call us thugs. Both times was put back in his box. The first was when they were interviewing president Peggy. He asked her what she thought about our bad behaviour..she replied “ I don’t know what you are talking about”
The second one was even better when the rest of his panel turned against him later when he brought up the Lynch “knee”. Before he even finished his sentence Leigh Matthews almost yelled “it wasn’t a knee!!!!” . Matthew Lloyd said years ago he talked to dean Solomon when he was at the suns and he was told by him that you wouldnt meet a nicer guy than tommy. Finally Caro said point blank to him that lane just hates Richmond :rotfl1
he came back with some lame comparison with what happened in 1973
He is a *smile*
i hope the swear filter picks that up :))

• Angry
Reactions: 6 users

Ridley

Tiger Legend
Jul 21, 2003
Gee that Tim lane is a real piece of work. Was listening to 3aw in the car earlier and twice he tried to call us thugs. Both times was put back in his box. The first was when they were interviewing president Peggy. He asked her what she thought about our bad behaviour..she replied “ I don’t know what you are talking about”
The second one was even better when the rest of his panel turned against him later when he brought up the Lynch “knee”. Before he even finished his sentence Leigh Matthews almost yelled “it wasn’t a knee!!!!” . Matthew Lloyd said years ago he talked to dean Solomon when he was at the suns and he was told by him that you wouldnt meet a nicer guy than tommy. Finally Caro said point blank to him that lane just hates Richmond :rotfl1
He is a *smile*
Tim Lane is the Mince Whateley of years gone by. The soccer mums of the football world. Both would be happier if it was a non contact sport.

Total ponces both of them.

Reactions: 3 users

mrposhman

Tiger Legend
Oct 6, 2013
Couple of seasons ago, I've been banging on about it for quite some time. :help You have to have a legitimate other option for what you are doing with the ball that doesn't involve just not trying to cross the line.

I thought all of the deliberate decisions last night were correct and there was one late that was probably a miss against Port at half forward. The Hartlett one was different to the others because he did have a legitimate option in the form of a team mate standing there, but he put the ball so far over the line, and with such force, it was paid as a straight deliberate out of bounds.

You can usually tell that its obvious when the commentators all agree which they did on the Hartlett one. They all said he disguised it really poorly and he did. Mostly they don't seem to have received the memo that you have about deliberate OOB, since you mentioned that on here I've watched them in a very different manner and don't get quite so annoyed now as I understand what the umps are looking for.

Its similar to people not understanding the rules when Gray gave away a free for blocking, there was a marking attempt that he didn't bother to go for (leaving it for someone around him) but blocked the Tiger (can't remember who it was) from flying for the marking contest. It was a clear free, but again you hear the boos, and even Gray seems surprised, thought it was one of the more obvious frees last night.

I'm coming around to your thoughts that people are more annoyed about the umpiring as they don't understand the rules. There were a few yesterday I was annoyed with, particularly with 2 head high hits in the final quarter (1 on Jack that Butters tried to back out of, put his arms up in the air but still got him high, and the other was the head high bump on Vlastuin by Rozee, which could be another one of those scenarios where a player is punished by the MRO but the ump didn't pay a free, not the 1st time thats happened to us this season).

Reactions: 1 users

graystar1

Tiger Legend
Apr 28, 2004
Once again the commentators last night were Port Power up to their eyeballs.

Almost everything they did was marvellous, brilliant or something equally as asinine.

Hardly any praise for some brilliant moves by the winners.

Oh well, suck it up you lot, we won and that is all matters.

zippadeee

Tiger Legend
Oct 8, 2004
Speaking to a few neutrals this morning they all said tigers deserved to win. Cornes went down the Port missed their opportunities path rather than the better side won.

Show some class for once in your life Kane

What opportunities?
For Port...
*Bow & Arrow drops a sitter.
*Boak, missed from 45 out,
*Marshall missed one running in
What other ones??

Us.....

*Rioli does a U turn instead of going for goal.
*Short goes for a short pass, instead of goal.
*Short missed a basic right foot snap.
*Castagna dropped a mark 20 out.
*Lynch dropped a chesr mark 20 out.
*Rioli misses 2 player's going inside 50.
*Lynch misses a set shot from 45 out directly in front.

Go to bed Kane you *smile*

ToraToraTora

Two outta three ain't bad.
Mar 21, 2005
QLD
Does Luke hodge bet on footy? Generally like his commentary, but he was flat as a tack last night. Very port-centric like he had a lot riding on then winning.
What about the host! He usually sounds like he is on mogadon but was positively comatose last night.

ToraToraTora

Two outta three ain't bad.
Mar 21, 2005
QLD
What opportunities?
For Port...
*Bow & Arrow drops a sitter.
*Boak, missed from 45 out,
*Marshall missed one running in
What other ones??

Us.....

*Rioli does a U turn instead of going for goal.
*Short goes for a short pass, instead of goal.
*Short missed a basic right foot snap.
*Castagna dropped a mark 20 out.
*Lynch dropped a chesr mark 20 out.
*Rioli misses 2 player's going inside 50.
*Lynch misses a set shot from 45 out directly in front.

Go to bed Kane you *smile*
Balta.

JR8

Tiger Legend
Apr 23, 2003
Melbourne - Eastern Subs
Once again the commentators last night were Port Power up to their eyeballs.

Almost everything they did was marvellous, brilliant or something equally as asinine.

Hardly any praise for some brilliant moves by the winners.

Oh well, suck it up you lot, we won and that is all matters.

Yep, the Ch7 commentary at the end of the game had the atmosphere of a funeral!!!

mainlandy

Tiger Champion
Apr 27, 2004
Mont Albert
I can't really remember, maybe it was a caller after the game last night, and on the radio this morning saying that Port Adelaide deserved to win because they finished on top and were there for the whole season, it's a bit of a tragedy they are not there. Well Port had all those home games, much like Brisbane, they got to sleep in their own beds, go out to wherever they wanted to, with minimum restrictions, didn't have to worry about players staying behind in Melbourne and not going to the hubs. They had an armchair ride to make the grand final and couldn't do it so bad luck I say, you had everything going for you and you still can't win. Contrast the tigers: being in a hub for three months, key players not going to the hub, hub indiscretions, all media against us trying to make out we are the bad boys of the AFL trying push the boundaries on the field, horrendous commentary bias every week, perplexing umpiring decisions every week ect....

Our club is unbelievable, they have done it the hardest way no question, yet you wouldn't know it unless you are a tigers supporter. So proud of the club, and if we win next week it should be labelled the greatest Premiership ever!!

* Also extremely proud of our coach, Peggy and Brendan for sticking up for the club and really never complaining about anything when they all had the right to complain. Just a professional organisation and we are all blessed with how great our club is.

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: 9 users

CarnTheTiges

This is a REAL tiger
Mar 8, 2004
Victoria
He is a *smile*
1973 ffs! Yes, Richmond and Carlton hated each other then on and off the field, but that was 47 yeas ago, Tim. Let it go!

• Haha