Footy media , love’m or hate’ m ? | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Footy media , love’m or hate’ m ?

I know the point of this thread is to *smile* about how unfairly the media treats us, but Access All Areas (Barrett and Lloydy) has some very nice discussion of Adelaide Richmond game, Jack's mark, Zombie etc etc.

Lloydy in the opening minute re Jacks Mark:

”I’ve never seen a mark like that, I know Carey used to do it a lot”.

• Haha
Reactions: 3 users
The timing isn't right but I think the underlying philosophy of what he is saying is pretty sound.

If we let a 21 year old key forward, who has shown the potential to be a really good player go, to keep a 33 year old and a 28 year old with significant knee degradation, then it will be a huge list management blunder.

Ideally we will keep them all until the end for Riewoldt but if that's not possible then I'd agree we have to make a hard call on one of the established guys.
And at the same time rip the soul out of the club.

Riewoldt is everything we preach about being a Richmond man.

The Richmond man mantra would be dead and buried if they traded Jack.

And as for trading Lynch you just have to see how that went with Collingwood and Treloar.

• Love
Reactions: 1 user
Totally understand Osaka’s stand on pressers , yes there an important part of the industry, however way to many parasites

Reactions: 2 users
The issue we may have is if we're still in a position to seriously contest for the Premiership. Won't be many players who would retire when that window was still open.

The pure economics of KC point is sound, it does miss the mark on culture and a few other variables... but every club must have a view on the now and a realistic eye on the future. If the kids are that good... why not have realistic chats with all n sundry. There’s always a surprise candidate who loves their work but first to put the hand up when a redundancy is on the table....

Lynch does.

The best case scenario is they all stay but if that isn't possible you have to weigh up whether in 3 or 4 years time we want to see potentially the best key forward/ruck in the game running around with someone else because we were sentimental in our list management.
How bad is Lynch's knee?

Based on his running action (seems to have a limp) have suspected his knee isn't right.

How about Jack as our 3rd tall wandering around the forward line up through a wing with Callum and Lynch our big guns up forward. Actually a much better set up than our current one with 3 smalls doing sweet f all.

Reactions: 4 users
The timing isn't right but I think the underlying philosophy of what he is saying is pretty sound.

If we let a 21 year old key forward, who has shown the potential to be a really good player go, to keep a 33 year old and a 28 year old with significant knee degradation, then it will be a huge list management blunder.

Ideally we will keep them all until the end for Riewoldt but if that's not possible then I'd agree we have to make a hard call on one of the established guys.
In eras past this type of speculation would've caused consternation, but we can laugh in the knowledge that the club has a better handle on it than any of these blokes. They're living in the past.

Hard to say exactly, but he had significant PCL damage at the Gold Coast and PCLs are really difficult cases. It's a relatively rare surgery and hard to get right.

On top of that a PCL isn't like an ACL where you injure it and are shut down. By the time you get into the PCL to repair it you already have advance change in the knee and secondary damage to the cartilage and joint surface which is not repairable.

So you've got a tricky surgery that you don't really want to do unless it is unavoidable, but every day you don't do it the knee is suffering further damage. Which is exactly the scenario that happened with Lynch.

There would be no doubt the current issues would be related to the PCL work, and again will create the potential for a few more issues.

It can all be managed of course and I said when we traded him I'd back him to play enough good footy to make the deal worthwhile but there's really a lot of unknown in his prospects and I'd expect the end will come pretty quickly for him. Anything after the next couple of years will be a bonus in my eyes.
Always suspected his knee wasn't right when we got him - had a limp in his running from day 1. Remember watching him at the suns as a fast and hard leading key forward jumping into packs and taking contested marks. Richo like. Went back to his GC highlights just to make sure I wasn't imagining it. He's been super important to us and we probably don't win 2019 flag without him, but definitely playing a different stay at home role with us.

What gives them bloody license to eff with people's heads. I'm gonna write an article saying your finished. I'm gonna write an article saying you are *smile*. I'm gonna write an article all about your private life which I know nothing about. It's shameful at this point.

Hard to say exactly, but he had significant PCL damage at the Gold Coast and PCLs are really difficult cases. It's a relatively rare surgery and hard to get right.

On top of that a PCL isn't like an ACL where you injure it and are shut down. By the time you get into the PCL to repair it you already have advance change in the knee and secondary damage to the cartilage and joint surface which is not repairable.

So you've got a tricky surgery that you don't really want to do unless it is unavoidable, but every day you don't do it the knee is suffering further damage. Which is exactly the scenario that happened with Lynch.

There would be no doubt the current issues would be related to the PCL work, and again will create the potential for a few more issues.

It can all be managed of course and I said when we traded him I'd back him to play enough good footy to make the deal worthwhile but there's really a lot of unknown in his prospects and I'd expect the end will come pretty quickly for him. Anything after the next couple of years will be a bonus in my eyes.

Yep, and two premierships later he's already paid for himself. Good deal even if he retired tomorrow.

Reactions: 6 users
Yeah, it's a highly problematic injury and he'd missed a good chunk of footy in the couple of years before us.

To put it in context, I'd take an ACL any time before a PCL.
You don't have to answer this BR, but where does your knowledge come from.
You seem to have a good handle on injuries.

Caro and Cornes are flogs.
Any chance highlighting the win or the mark.
No, one still going on about the fight and the other bringing up to trade Jack.
Absolutely shocking

Reactions: 1 user
Hahaha thats awesome that Jack tweeted that.

Cornes is far from a good list manager. He says that the trades the Hawks did worked out well for the players involved, they did, but did they work out for the club?? I think their position on the ladder, the age profile and the lack of kids is testament to that.

I think Jack could play that high half forward role really well, his field kicking is amazing, just go back and watch that left foot around the body kick for Shai in I think the 2nd quarter. Jack delivering the ball inside 50 would have CJ and Lynch licking their lips at that delivery.

I see there being zero chance of us trading Jack and also zero chance of Cornes being right on this.

Reactions: 3 users
Hahaha thats awesome that Jack tweeted that.

Cornes is far from a good list manager. He says that the trades the Hawks did worked out well for the players involved, they did, but did they work out for the club?? I think their position on the ladder, the age profile and the lack of kids is testament to that.

I think Jack could play that high half forward role really well, his field kicking is amazing, just go back and watch that left foot around the body kick for Shai in I think the 2nd quarter. Jack delivering the ball inside 50 would have CJ and Lynch licking their lips at that delivery.

I see there being zero chance of us trading Jack and also zero chance of Cornes being right on this.
Cornes is a *smile* idiot. An absolute numpty. If you have to listen then just take the exact opposite position to what he says and you'll be pretty right.

As for using Hawthorn as the yardstick :rotfl2 :rotfl2 The genius Clarko might have won them a 3 peat but he has now *smile* their list for years. They are in massive trouble. Yeah trading Hodge, Lewis, Mitchell and Birchall has worked wonders for them :rotfl2

They are in massive trouble. Long, long way back for them.

Reactions: 2 users
All of this certainly explains why Lynch has not been moving around as much. If he retired tomorrow it was worth recruiting him.

Makes me wonder about a few of our players, is Astbury a bit less mobile at the moment, does George need a couple of weeks off? Who knows, but we all know plenty of players carry niggles around during the season and they are going to have an impact on form.

DS