Footy Show | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Footy Show

tigerman said:
There'll be no tears in my beers, the footy show lost it's soul when they shafted Trevor Marmalade.
Sam Newman got cheap, dirty jokes by putting sh!t on people. Marmalade was genuinely funny, after he left i soon lost interest and haven't watched it for years.
Absolutely, they didn't realise how important Trevor was to the show. Trevor's quick jokes are similar to what we get now on the Front Bar so why was he shafted? The panel just did not work and the background laughter by panel members to comments that weren't really that funny, was really annoying. If they try again they might be better having a panel of ex-footballers who also have some personality but where are they?

Mr Brightside said:
I hardly watched it for the last 15 years, however I agree he made the show for most people to start with but by the end he’d turned a hell of a lot off it. I reckon for every fan he has he has 5 that have no time for him.

Yeah agree - Newman slowly lost relevancy and the show followed.

Front bar works well and my whole family love the jokes and the format. It’s the one and only footy show including the games (they can’t stand the commentators) that they are happy to watch.

year of the tiger said:
Yeah agree - Newman slowly lost relevancy and the show followed.

Front bar works well and my whole family love the jokes and the format. It’s the one and only footy show including the games (they can’t stand the commentators) that they are happy to watch.

You thinking what I’m thinking?

Sam Newman the forth member of the front bar!

se7en said:
You thinking what I’m thinking?

Sam Newman the forth member of the front bar!

They'd have to rename it to the Half Bar if he joined the show

TigerMasochist said:
Guess who was last to know?

They would have known it was coming. No prime time show can rate in the 50k and survive.

Loved it back in the day but was total rubbish the last 5 years. Like an old once great boxer, they just didn’t know when to quit and kept getting knocked out.

tigermike said:
Absolutely, they didn't realise how important Trevor was to the show. Trevor's quick jokes are similar to what we get now on the Front Bar so why was he shafted?

I never forget a joke Marmalade made once................

(picture him leaning against the bar ..... interjects during sycophant commentary)

........... "Ah yes ........... the West Australian local derby"

........ "YEP! ...... West Coast versus Fremantle.............."

.... it's kinda like war in the Middle East!

..... everyone knows who's playing ........... but no one gives a sh!t who WINS!!!

BWAAAAAAAA HA HA :rofl :rofl :rofl :rofl :rofl :rofl :rofl :rofl

Never a truer word said!!!!

:)

Total Tiger said:
The Footy Show changed our relationship with footballers and as a result with the game itself. Before TFS, we got glimpses of footballers but never really got to know them. All we'd see is interviews explaining the game they'd just played. TFS introduced us to their characters, and took them from being names to people with personalities. We became more invested in the game as a result. That said, it's been a shadow of its former self for a long, long time now. Longer than The Front Bar has been around. The Front Bar might have caused the final nail being hammered in, but the coffin has been under construction for a long time now.

Agree. I would raise you a long, long time, but agree. It lost after Newman disprespected Nicky Winmar around 1999.

The Big Richo said:
Don't watch the front bar, Mick Molloy is the only thing that has ever made me feel like renouncing my love of Richmond.

Come on Richo, are you serious? Seeing the good side of an obnoxious *smile* merely because they barrack for the same side as you is a fundamental part of footy.

The Big Richo said:
Nostagically sorry to see it go but haven't watched for a number of years.

Don't watch the front bar, Mick Molloy is the only thing that has ever made me feel like renouncing my love of Richmond.

I'd like to see the Sunday Footy Show given a go in the timeslot, in the same format with previews instead of reviews.

People forget that was how the Thursday edition originally came about.

Agree.

It started to deteriorate from 2007 when Ch 9 lost the footy rights. I still liked it all the way to the end (2018).

The Big Richo said:
Normally I'd agree TS, but the modern day, sold out, predictable, tired 'humour' of Molloy irritates me more than a loss to Collingwood.

I'd love for there to be a way to bring current Molloy face to face with D-Generation era Molloy. Past Molloy would die choking on his own vomit and thus spare us from future Molloy.

Agree again. Mick's starting to make me twitch....

Sir said:
I never forget a joke Marmalade made once................

(picture him leaning against the bar ..... interjects during sycophant commentary)

........... "Ah yes ........... the West Australian local derby"

........ "YEP! ...... West Coast versus Fremantle.............."

.... it's kinda like war in the Middle East!

..... everyone knows who's playing ........... but no one gives a sh!t who WINS!!!

BWAAAAAAAA HA HA :rofl :rofl :rofl :rofl :rofl :rofl :rofl :rofl

Never a truer word said!!!!

:)

Classic from Trev. :hihi

The Big Richo said:
Nostagically sorry to see it go but haven't watched for a number of years.

I'd like to see the Sunday Footy Show given a go in the timeslot, in the same format with previews instead of reviews.

People forget that was how the Thursday edition originally came about.
League Teams with Jack, Lou and Bobby was how TFS came about. The faux sportsman’s night that is 9’s Sunday Footy Show is a very poor approximation of what was the footy panel on 7’s World of Sport.

lukeanddad said:
Very sad to see to see something end after so many years. I haven’t watched for more than a decade, but credit where it’s due. TFS was a true trailblazer and took the p!ss out of the game, players and fans in roughly equal measure.

Especially feel sorry for all the hard-working folk behind the cameras, many of whom have probably worked on the show for more than a decade.

It's not like the cameramen are out of work tomorrow.they just move onto the next show 9 puts on unless they make there whole living from 2 hour show that runs for 6 months a year?

TigerForce said:
It started to deteriorate from 2007 when Ch 9 lost the footy rights. I still liked it all the way to the end (2018).

Part of the reason it started was because 9 DiDnt have the footy rights. Was a way to get into the footy fold again.

22nd Man said:
It's not like the cameramen are out of work tomorrow.they just move onto the next show 9 puts on unless they make there whole living from 2 hour show that runs for 6 months a year?

They do a number of shows per week.
I nearly became one at channel 9 many years ago at Melbourne

Would of been a fun job.

se7en said:
They do a number of shows per week.
I nearly became one at channel 9 many years ago at Melbourne

Would of been a fun job.

Brother of a mate of mine was A,9 camera guy fir years...hey hey, footy show etc he loved it. Used to get called out by Daryl on hey hey.

yandb said:
Some one took the PC brush to the show and it died.

Reckon they just weren't that funny any more. It happens.

Whether they were inhibited by the rising chorus of activist voices is a good question. I think it's likely.

We're becoming a rather humourless lot. Like Germans.

yandb said:
Some one took the PC brush to the show and it died.

I agree with this. Whilst it wasn’t the main reason why the show flopped, I think it played a part.

LeeToRainesToRoach said:
Reckon they just weren't that funny any more. It happens.

Whether they were inhibited by the rising chorus of activist voices is a good question. I think it's likely.

We're becoming a rather humourless lot. Like Germans.

we got a lone wielder of a PC brush, and a rising chorus of activists voices. I'll raise youse the old tried and true PC brigade, thats who done it.