Footy Show | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Footy Show

tigersnake said:
we got a lone wielder of a PC brush, and a rising chorus of activists voices. I'll raise youse the old tried and true PC brigade, thats who done it.

It'd be interesting to see a year-by-year chart of ratings and pinpoint the Sam Newman incident that started the rot.

tigermike said:
Absolutely, they didn't realise how important Trevor was to the show. Trevor's quick jokes are similar to what we get now on the Front Bar so why was he shafted? The panel just did not work and the background laughter by panel members to comments that weren't really that funny, was really annoying. If they try again they might be better having a panel of ex-footballers who also have some personality but where are they?

One of the funniest moments was when Harry Beitzel (a man who did a lot of great things for football) was a guest following a prison stint for defrauding an elderly couple of their Soccer Pools winnings. Harry's leaving the set when Trevor calls out, "Hey Harry, you forgot your car keys!" and holds up a coat hanger.

tigersnake said:
we got a lone wielder of a PC brush, and a rising chorus of activists voices. I'll raise youse the old tried and true PC brigade, thats who done it.

Maybe after 20 years of Sam talking to drunks, intellectually disabled, bogans, morons and the ill at ease in street talk became just a touch boring?

22nd Man said:
Maybe after 20 years of Sam talking to drunks, intellectually disabled, bogans, morons and the ill at ease in street talk became just a touch boring?
Yeah, the I’ll at ease, drunks, bogans, intellectually disabled etc shouldn’t be spoken to...

22nd Man said:
Brother of a mate of mine was A,9 camera guy fir years...hey hey, footy show etc he loved it. Used to get called out by Daryl on hey hey.

Was his name Phil?

22nd Man said:

What's the problem? They were hilarious! :hihi

And in return, Sam let them takeover as hosts this year.

lukeanddad said:
You’re comfortable mocking the intellectually disabled?

I remember them beaming with happiness.

I wish I was more of a gentleman like the Sam Newmans of the world. Knowing how to connect respectfully with the lowest common denominators in society should be a celebrated skill, not a trigger warning. It takes a genuine human connection to do what Sam did every week IMO.

123kid said:
I remember them beaming with happiness.

I wish I was more of a gentleman like the Sam Newmans of the world. Knowing how to connect respectfully with the lowest common denominators in society should be a celebrated skill, not a trigger warning. It takes a genuine human connection to do what Sam did every week IMO.

Yep. Don't see how people rate Sam as a bastard compared to some we still see in footy media....

Different story off-screen than on.

The Big Richo said:
To be fair though, Newman always maintained he never approached anyone for street talk and only spoke to those who came up and talked to him.

Having seen it filmed a couple of times that matches what I saw.

You’ll be surprised by the number of nuffies who run over when they see a camera crew on the streets.
Like moths to a light.

DirtyDogTiger said:
I’ve had decades feeling ill at ease watching richmond.

So hope you have become accustomed to it. I predict you'll become quite ill at ease this evening.

leon said:
So hope you have become accustomed to it. I predict you'll become quite ill this evening.

That's how I see things going.......confidence rock bottom.