Footy to Return | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Footy to Return

Coburgtiger

Tiger Legend
May 7, 2012
ATM my wife and I have a four month old at home. I'm also working from home, thank god she's on maternity leave.

Quarantine measures mean that there is no separation from bub. No outside help. No grandparents, no aunties, no uncles. No childcare, we can't even get a visit from the maternal healthcare nurse, nor can we take her there. For my wife, there's no mothers group, no visits from friends, no day where we can dump the little one off at a relatives for an hour to take a walk by ourselves. We can't even take the little one to the shopping center in a pram, we can't go down to the park, there is only us, a screaming baby and a playmat.

I'm not trying to suggest we're doing it as tough as some are on the planet. But it's a huge strain. And there's two of us. If I were to say to her, see ya later, I'll be on a footy camp for two months, she'd say don't bother coming back. If she could even summon the emotional energy to say anything.

It is absolutely idiotic to be comparing this situation to things like world cricket, or soccer etc. This is not a comparable situation to anything. Home lives, especially when you have young children (as lots of footy players do), are currently at breaking point. This is not a time you can be asking people to take a two month holiday for a game. A game!

Jesus. Think people.

Reactions: 6 users

year of the tiger

Tiger Legend
Mar 26, 2008
Tasmania
Reactions: 3 users

Stig

Tiger Superstar
Mar 2, 2020
ATM my wife and I have a four month old at home. I'm also working from home, thank god she's on maternity leave.

Quarantine measures mean that there is no separation from bub. No outside help. No grandparents, no aunties, no uncles. No childcare, we can't even get a visit from the maternal healthcare nurse, nor can we take her there. For my wife, there's no mothers group, no visits from friends, no day where we can dump the little one off at a relatives for an hour to take a walk by ourselves. We can't even take the little one to the shopping center in a pram, we can't go down to the park, there is only us, a screaming baby and a playmat.

I'm not trying to suggest we're doing it as tough as some are on the planet. But it's a huge strain. And there's two of us. If I were to say to her, see ya later, I'll be on a footy camp for two months, she'd say don't bother coming back. If she could even summon the emotional energy to say anything.

It is absolutely idiotic to be comparing this situation to things like world cricket, or soccer etc. This is not a comparable situation to anything. Home lives, especially when you have young children (as lots of footy players do), are currently at breaking point. This is not a time you can be asking people to take a two month holiday for a game. A game!

Jesus. Think people.
It’s just game
Thousands are dying each day around the world and some want to watch footy at all costs
Interesting world we live in
Everyones superannuation has been destroyed , millions out of work . Interesting comments on this topic
It’s just a game people .
Signed off from this forum 10 years ago
Been back 4 weeks
Might have to take another 10 year holiday
♂️

Reactions: 1 users

Scoop

Tiger Legend
Dec 8, 2004
AFLPA are spilt right down the middle on the hubs idea. Still miles off from playing.

This from a player at another club.

hutstar

Tiger Superstar
Dec 17, 2002
Florida
Don't agree. They are being asked to leave their families, many with small kids, at a time when people can't rely on relatives, friends etc for assistance. We're in a pandemic and the last thing I'd want to be is away from my family because they are the #1 priority and we are in extraordinary times.

To make it worse they'll be playing a ****** u season, no crowds and stuck living 24x7 with other football types.

Players are just humans with families and the same fears as all of us. Blaming them is just swallowing the AFL driven narrative to pressure them into accepting a stupid idea.
There's plenty of people away from their families for a lot longer right now, who make much less money. If these guys want careers on the other side of this, they need to get on board. The idea that this is 'afl driven' or 'tv driven' is not right. It's about survival of the professional game - it's about players, staff and clubs. It's not ideal but meeting the requirements of the TV contracts could be the difference between living and dying for many clubs and therefore many players. These guys need to suck it up and do their job - I think they'd do well to consider for a moment what the alternative looks like, because without footy I'm not sure what these guys hope to do for a living in a market with 20% unemployment.

hutstar

Tiger Superstar
Dec 17, 2002
Florida
Just hope the AFL hurries up & makes a decision.
The clubs & their members deserve better than being kept in limbo wondering about what shape or form things might take at some point in the future....
They clearly have a tentative strategy in place. Like everyone they're at the mercy of C19 and how it plays out. They'll be leaving the final call until the last possible minute, and the clubs and members will have to deal with it.

hutstar

Tiger Superstar
Dec 17, 2002
Florida
I agree about some "will have to play". The more interesting will be the ones who don't and whether that will lead to public shaming.

Interesting to see Footy Classified and how they're all gung ho for the hub idea, noting that none of these people will be forced into isolation.
Asked about Pendles, McGuire said that he was eager to go. A better one would be Grundy. Does Eddie think it is okay for Grundy to leave his girlfriend in the middle of the pandemic to go play footy cos she certainly can't go (https://www.theage.com.au/sport/afl...ort-act-to-the-real-hero-20200403-p54gpw.html) and he's not home to support her emotionally.

In Jack's case I can see why he wouldn't want to go, with a baby at home and a nursing partner needing both his support and her regular medical support. "See you honey, I'm off to a footy camp for a couple of months. Best of luck with the bub."

The example of the cricketers is totally unrealistic. The cricketers families go on tour with them and the wives go out shopping and sightseeing as a group when they want. No chance of that in a hub with social distancing and retail and tourist shutdowns. "Come to the camp love. While I'm training you can sit in a motel room for a few hours."
Holy *smile*, it's no time at all, you'd think we're asking these guys to go off to war. If Jack doesn't want to go, that's fine, but it's also probably the end of his career. So if he's ready to retire and not take home that final half a million or so, then that's understandable for sure. It will happen with certain players and clubs. It's a shame. But there's hundreds of players and staff who don't have that luxury. This is a way to save their houses and feed their families, which is way more important. If each club loses 5 or so players, I'm sure we'll have no trouble finding 5 new guys who will be keen to make the effort.

Reactions: 1 user

Tenacious

Tiger Legend
May 19, 2008
It’s just game
Thousands are dying each day around the world and some want to watch footy at all costs
Interesting world we live in
Everyones superannuation has been destroyed , millions out of work . Interesting comments on this topic
It’s just a game people .
Signed off from this forum 10 years ago
Been back 4 weeks
Might have to take another 10 year holiday
‍♂

Hawk coach John Kennedy‘s speech comes to mind: “don’t talk ... DO!”

• Love

tigerdell

Hope springs infernal
Mar 29, 2014
Holy ****, it's no time at all, you'd think we're asking these guys to go off to war. If Jack doesn't want to go, that's fine, but it's also probably the end of his career. So if he's ready to retire and not take home that final half a million or so, then that's understandable for sure. It will happen with certain players and clubs. It's a shame. But there's hundreds of players and staff who don't have that luxury. This is a way to save their houses and feed their families, which is way more important. If each club loses 5 or so players, I'm sure we'll have no trouble finding 5 new guys who will be keen to make the effort.
we are asking, as a country and society for many people not to work to protect against this virus- with the expectation that Australia will support the lost money and mortgages.
But if you are a footballer they should work or suffer the consequences?
Nah its bullcrap. One in all in and we support any and all not working *
*Except for financial dividends to shareholders and govt subsidies to staff eg crown. Its govt support not a payment

Reactions: 2 users

22nd Man

Tiger Legend
Aug 29, 2011
Essex Heights
and let's be honest abouty why the AFL are trying anything to get games going. While they may spruik about it being for the fans, how footy will uplift everyone, how it's needed because the game is at our core, that's all why down the list of real reason. The only reason they are pushing this is to get money from their broadcast partners.
Pretty good reason in my eyes. Not sure why anyone thinks the AFL and any other organisation whether business or community should not be working on the way to resumption. Just rolling over and copping it for some undefined period to me only sends us further down the drain to oblivion.

22nd Man

Tiger Legend
Aug 29, 2011
Essex Heights
There's plenty of people away from their families for a lot longer right now, who make much less money. If these guys want careers on the other side of this, they need to get on board. The idea that this is 'afl driven' or 'tv driven' is not right. It's about survival of the professional game - it's about players, staff and clubs. It's not ideal but meeting the requirements of the TV contracts could be the difference between living and dying for many clubs and therefore many players. These guys need to suck it up and do their job - I think they'd do well to consider for a moment what the alternative looks like, because without footy I'm not sure what these guys hope to do for a living in a market with 20% unemployment.
Poll the 500000 people on the new dole and give them the chance to earn their old salary if they moved away from home for a few months. I'd suggest a pretty high take up rate.

22nd Man

Tiger Legend
Aug 29, 2011
Essex Heights
Jack, Bachar, Cotch all with young children, Shedda just announced his partner expecting their first child in August, Grimes has a business to run ... and that's without knowing the off field situation of the rest of the team.

Some tough decisions for these guys if the hub is implemented.
Plenty of people decide that working away from family is a viable option. Mine workers, ship crews, tour guides, television production, actors , list goes on. People who take overseas assignments in dodgy countries or where the education system doesn't suit - spouse stays home.
A mate of mine has worked in Darwin for 4 years family all back in Melb...but for them it was for financial benefit.

And what about players drafted interstate....they move away from family 10 months of the year.

If it comes to hubs, players have to decide in or out.

eZyT

Tiger Legend
Jun 28, 2019
we are asking, as a country and society for many people not to work to protect against this virus- with the expectation that Australia will support the lost money and mortgages.
But if you are a footballer they should work or suffer the consequences?
Nah its bullcrap. One in all in and we support any and all not working *
*Except for financial dividends to shareholders and govt subsidies to staff eg crown. Its govt support not a payment

For that logic to be sound, AFL players need to be on the $750 a week job keeper payment dont they?

Isnt that the societal rate to stay home for the greater good?

not $50,000 a week?

If it comes to hubs, players have to decide in or out.

may need a rewrite of Tigerland,

depending how this plays out, it could go something like

In any weather you will see most having fun, risking head and lungs

but some stayed home, on the phone, with the kids and mums,

oh we're from Ti-Ger-LAND,

etc

instead of white feathers in the letterbox, the objectors could get little Geelong jumpers or something?

Last edited:

zippadeee

Tiger Legend
Oct 8, 2004
Chef medical officer

"Forget going to the MCG, concerts and overseas travel until 2021"

DavidSSS

Tiger Legend
Dec 11, 2017
Melbourne
Chef medical officer

"Forget going to the MCG, concerts and overseas travel until 2021"

I suspect he is right.

Can we really have a Grand Final with no crowd? I would have to say we can't and if there is no prospect of a crowd then 2020 is a write off.

As for overseas travel, try 2022 unless we get a vaccine and are able to vaccinate most of the world.

DS

Stig

Tiger Superstar
Mar 2, 2020
I suspect he is right.

Can we really have a Grand Final with no crowd? I would have to say we can't and if there is no prospect of a crowd then 2020 is a write off.

As for overseas travel, try 2022 unless we get a vaccine and are able to vaccinate most of the world.

DS
Reported on TV tonight . If crowds are allowed . 20,000 only