Frank's fails or How to get rid of it | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Frank's fails or How to get rid of it

SCOOP said:
Back to Francis. The Derek Hine rumour has gone to ground. Nothing more heard of it.

So, we are 12 weeks out from a draft and we are going in with the same team, the same structure and the same old thinking.

I want some change within the recruiting team, can't keep doing the same thing with the same people.

I agree 100% Scoop.

I'm sure it was reported a month or so ago that Blair was going to get a contract extension. Nothing reported since, but I'm starting to thing that Benny protestations that we are not sitting on our hands and significant changes will be made might only extend to the assistant coaches.

Should that be the case then I'm afraid that Benny is like horse poo; he comes out hot and steaming and then falls in a heap!

Wake up. Too many duds.
Grigg
Edwards
Houli
Vickery
Griffens
Batchelor
Lambert
Miles
Townsend
Ellis

This bloke didn't bring lynch to the club, therefore I don't trust him with any of our picks let alone 1st rounders.
Very ordinary recruiter. He would match the great recruiters of the late 90's
Greg Beck gold
This bloke silver
I always hated that we didn't draft lynch.

He still struggles with early picks.
He is the king of the rookie draft.
He should stay in bed when it comes to the real draft

It is just such a hard thing to predict.

I always get howled down for my belief in the significance of luck in success but I guarantee you every club with every pick this week took a player they think can turn into a very good AFL player.

Some will, some won't but if anyone tells you they can predict it now then they are are a liar. If anyone tells you they can tell you the reasons why it happens then they are a fraud.

You can test these boys six ways from Sunday, profile them, medical them, talk to everyone that's ever known them and apply the same standards to every single player you ever pick and still some will make it and some won't.

It's so random you could barely even call it an educated guess.
Are you calling me a liar and a fraud?
ok seriously, thats what i like about our strategy of trading this years first pick. One more year in the system as 19 yr olds will help clear the fog a little next year. A lot of the unpredictability comes from the fact we are drafting from a pool of 18yr olds. A lot can happen in a year at that age!

Reactions: 2 users
It is just such a hard thing to predict.

I always get howled down for my belief in the significance of luck in success but I guarantee you every club with every pick this week took a player they think can turn into a very good AFL player.

Some will, some won't but if anyone tells you they can predict it now then they are are a liar. If anyone tells you they can tell you the reasons why it happens then they are a fraud.

You can test these boys six ways from Sunday, profile them, medical them, talk to everyone that's ever known them and apply the same standards to every single player you ever pick and still some will make it and some won't.

Interesting isn't it?

There's also research showing auditions in music are not a great predictor of how well a musician will go, for example, when choosing students for a course.

I think a hell of a lot of this comes down to who will put in the work. I always remember a guy a uni we called stupid, he got a PhD - he wasn't real smart but boy did he do the work.

DS

Reactions: 1 user
Along the spectrum of decision-making, one end leans towards logical analysis, while the other end leans towards gut-feel or intuition. Setting the 'luck' or 'random' factor aside for a moment, it could be concluded that maybe, just maybe, our recruiters have a slightly better blend of both analysis and intuition than their counterparts at other clubs.

I broadly agree, but think there are some young players you watch play their first quarter in the vfl and they dont star, but you see quite clearly theyve got 'it'.

Liam Baker for example.

Lots of variables once a player gets drafted.

Coaching, game style, other players in their position, one badly timed injury, bad player managers (more of an issue that you think), as well as what the previous post mentions.

Talent is just part of the puzzle for the vast majority. Everybody is talented in the AFL.

Of the junior players I have worked with or seen up close (I've been part of a coaching group that has seen over 30 kids gets drafted from first round to rookie in the last few seasons), there is only 1 who stood head and shoulders above the rest as sure thing to be a high quality AFL player once drafted and would be able to do it regardless of all the variables.

Lots of variables once a player gets drafted.

Coaching, game style, other players in their position, one badly timed injury, bad player managers (more of an issue that you think), as well as what the previous post mentions.

Talent is just part of the puzzle for the vast majority. Everybody is talented in the AFL.

Of the junior players I have worked with or seen up close (I've been part of a coaching group that has seen over 30 kids gets drafted from first round to rookie in the last few seasons), there is only 1 who stood head and shoulders above the rest as sure thing to be a high quality AFL player once drafted and would be able to do it regardless of all the variables.

Plenty of variables as there would be at the elite end of most things, but it's not a lottery.

I think it's somewhere in the middle of the arguments on this thread to be honest.

It's interesting how even at AFL clubs, what they value is different in terms of how they rank draftees. Even at NAB league how they select kids is wildly different region to region

I've seen guys like that as well, only they take a girl home from a nightclub and realise her 20 year old lifestyle is pretty enjoyable and all of a sudden a faultless history of dedication and professionalism slips away and three years later they get a pink slip.
And I’ve failed at everything else since

• Haha
We should have this thread renamed. ..

Franks Finds and How to Keep Finding Them :) :cupgold

• Haha
I've seen guys like that as well, only they take a girl home from a nightclub and realise her 20 year old lifestyle is pretty enjoyable

Now, ive heard innumerable euphemisms for a vagina,

But I think a Lifestyle has to be the nicests and best.

• Haha
Reactions: 6 users
I've argued elsewhere that our best eighteen has been in decline for three years due to Frank's poor performance in the first round of the ND.

I think the facts speak for themselves there.

Code:
Reece Conca
Brandon Ellis
Nick Vlastuin
Ben Lennon
Corey Ellis

These blokes are busts. Except Brandon who can ackshelly get a kick. (He's the only one you'd keep.)

The longer we wait the less likely we are to get a refund. On these busts.

Freshness matters. These lads have some currency. And very good character.

We can get something for these blokes now. Draft choices next year (2017) are good too.

It's time to face some facts. Five years of failed first rounders hurt us a lot. Let us not live in La-la land.

Trade these Frank fails while they are worth something.

If our current football department can't see that - let's get rid of it.
This did not age to well

Reactions: 1 users
Wake up. Too many duds.
Grigg
Edwards
Houli
Vickery
Griffens
Batchelor
Lambert
Miles
Townsend
Ellis
Grigga = premiership ruck man
Shedda = triple premiership star
Basha = triple premiership star, twice runner up in the Normie behind the Dusty one at the big dance
Lamblett = triple premiership player
Towner = hole filling, role playing hard nut who found himself on the right end of a premiership, beating the suitcase out of a Crowbait or two along the way
Ellis, I'm guessing it's the Bobble version not the Jarhead = dual premiership player.

Bloody hard marker zippers, or perhaps you unloaded on the dudisms a tad prematurely.

Grigga = premiership ruck man
Shedda = triple premiership star
Basha = triple premiership star, twice runner up in the Normie behind the Dusty one at the big dance
Lamblett = triple premiership player
Towner = hole filling, role playing hard nut who found himself on the right end of a premiership, beating the suitcase out of a Crowbait or two along the way
Ellis, I'm guessing it's the Bobble version not the Jarhead = dual premiership player.

Bloody hard marker zippers, or perhaps you unloaded on the dudisms a tad prematurely.
They had it them.
All they needed was a bit of a push to unleash.
I did have Griffens and Vickery in that group too, it just didn't work for them.

They had it them.
All they needed was a bit of a push to unleash.
I did have Griffens and Vickery in that group too, it just didn't work for them.
Nothing like a bit of an online push to get the boys to lift their game. Appreciate all the hard work in the back ground zippers.

• Haha
Nothing like a bit of an online push to get the boys to lift their game. Appreciate all the hard work in the back ground zippers.
Appreciated. Someone had to do the hard lifting. I knew the boys had it in them. I just played a small part in lifting the boys into champions of the competition.
Now we all can bask in the success of these champions.

P.s Letters of appreciation aren't warranted, cheques can be sent to P.O Box 3121 Zip.

• Haha
Hard to put our 2020 RFC mindset back into our long suffering post 2016 RFC season mindset. Who didn’t think we were gone for another decade.

Reactions: 1 users