Frawley tenure at heart of turmoil | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Frawley tenure at heart of turmoil

Tigerdog

Tiger Legend
Dec 18, 2002
By Patrick Smith, Greg Denham and Michael McGuire of The Australian
March 23, 2004

THE Richmond boardroom crisis is expected to deepen with as many as two more directors likely to resign within a week.

Vice-president Brendon Schwab resigned on March 12 and fellow board member Peter Welsh followed last week, leaving a board of seven.

The demanding leadership style of president Clinton Casey is expected to claim another two scalps.

This would give Casey at least four directors' vacancies at Punt Road as he moves to revamp his board.

Casey would not comment to The Australian on the resignations of Schwab and Welsh, other than to say: "The timing of these things is difficult. We have a big year ahead.

"If you are not up to it, then it's best you move on."

Casey yesterday denied his strong ties with coach Danny Frawley had any part in the resignations of Schwab and Welsh.

It is believed that a quarrel with Casey over his guarantee of coach Danny Frawley's 2004 tenure influenced the resignations of the two directors over the past fortnight.

Schwab yesterday neither confirmed nor denied the rift with Casey over the position of Frawley who is in the final year of his coaching contract.

"That rumour greatly simplifies the situation," Schwab said. "My concern goes to the heart of the duties and responsibilities that attract to the role of a director of a public company such as Richmond Football Club.

"I made the decision most reluctantly given I have a lifelong commitment to the club. I don't think it is appropriate to detail the reasons set out in my letter (to the board).

"I think it is up to the board to deal with these matters but I considered them fundamental enough to resign."

Casey publicly supported Frawley's role as senior coach until at least the end of the season following an attack on Frawley from long-time mentor and board member Tony Jewell earlier this month.

Jewell, a former football director who was voted off the board in the January election, questioned Frawley's ability to coach.

Jewell also questioned Frawley's game plan and said he was prone to waver in his views because he had neither the self-belief to back his own judgment nor the right background to succeed.

Casey reacted by declaring Richmond would honour Frawley's contract.

"As a board we are hugely supportive of Danny and we're on track for where we want to be," Casey said earlier this month.

"Danny Frawley will coach Richmond until the end of the season. That position is quite clear with the club and Danny."

Welsh was unavailable for comment yesterday.

A Richmond source has confirmed that Frawley was so gutted by Jewell's criticism that he was unable to publicly respond for several days.

It is believed that not all directors wanted Frawley's position guaranteed, rather favouring a position of on-going review.

Schwab, Welsh, Jewell and Casey formed part of the Richmond board which changed Frawley's latest performance-based contract and gave him an escape clause for this season.

Under the original terms of his deal, Frawley could have been sacked last year as the Tigers missed the finals for the second year running.

It was revealed in The Australian last July that Frawley's incentive-based contract initially contained a special clause that said he could have been sacked if the Tigers failed to contest the finals in either 2002 or 2003.

Richmond finished 14th in 2002 and 13th last year.

The non-finals clause was inserted by the board at the end of 2001, providing them with an option of not extending Frawley's three-year deal into a final year due to poor performance.

It was struck off on the insistence of the club's new general manager of football operations, Greg Miller.

A Richmond source confirmed that former player Emmett Dunne will be seconded on to the board as football director, with direct access to the football department.

Over the past two years the Tigers have won just 14 of 44 games. They play Collingwood on Friday night at the MCG in the season opener.

http://www.theaustralian.news.com.au/common/story_page/0,5744,9044905%255E2722,00.html

Maybe I am too simplistic, but I can't see what the problem is, and why the resignations. Unless of course there was going to be further extensions to the senior coaching position, prior to the outcome of season 2004.

If we were unsuccessful, sure changes would have to be made. The coach would not be sacked, just that his contract was not re-newed. This may quell the media and others that say that Richmond is "sack-happy".

If we have a successful year...again, review then. Changes may still need to be made. ( Or maybe not.)

Why the resignations now? If we are unsuccessful at the end of 2004 and nothing changes..then that is another story.

Tigerdog said:
It is believed that a quarrel with Casey over his guarantee of coach Danny Frawley's 2004 tenure influenced the resignations of the two directors over the past fortnight.

Schwab yesterday neither confirmed nor denied the rift with Casey over the position of Frawley who is in the final year of his coaching contract.

"That rumour greatly simplifies the situation," Schwab said. "My concern goes to the heart of the duties and responsibilities that attract to the role of a director of a public company such as Richmond Football Club.

"I made the decision most reluctantly given I have a lifelong commitment to the club. I don't think it is appropriate to detail the reasons set out in my letter (to the board).

I have no way of knowing what those reasons are, but this is a Club that is in need of people willing to do some tough work, before things can become easy.

I don’t know if I’m reading too much into things, but what did he expect, a picnic perhaps?

I think if another 2 people resign from the board MC that the problem is more with the President and the direction he insists on taking the club.

IMO it seems like a new ticket may be being arranged by those people that have resigned from the board recently. Possibly for an immediate challenge, or perhaps a bit later on.

Rumour has it that Michael Daddo(?) is one of the two board members also set to announce their resignation from the board in the next few days.

It appears that some board members are not happy with danny boy and IMO they wouldn't be jumping ship if there was positive action behind the scenes to attract a replacement.  What would be worrying is that the pres and some of his yes men are content with frawley and approaching a suitable replacement isn't high on their agenda.  This would make me wanna jump aswell. 

Well it seems to me that Casey is running this club the way he sees fit and the board are nothing more than a "paper tiger". Reading between the lines I would say the majority of the board have been over-ruled on Frawleys tenure. If this is the case then something is very rotten at the core of this club. For all you people that argued about keeping Frawley for stability, and the off field setup was now good, I hope you're happy. A few of weeks ago I was really looking forward to this season, now I couldnt give a stuff and probably wont renew my membership next year. I for one have had enough. :mad:

Tigerdog, I think if you were to have 4 resignations from the board within a week, Casey would have no option but to step down, call an Extraordinary General Meeting and spill all board positions.
He could continue as a caretaker President until the EGM. I've got no idea about the constitution, but that would be the honourable thing to do, IMO.

I agree Dean3.
Maybe someone like Roar34 or DavidC could explain what would happen if the scenario as you described it does actually unfold.
8)

Walster said:
For all you people that argued about keeping Frawley for stability, and the off field setup was now good, I hope you're happy.

Good point - you can't have stability with the wrong people in charge.  If anything it will create a greater instability than imaginable. 

Tigerdog said:
I agree Dean3.
Maybe someone like Roar34 or DavidC could explain what would happen if the scenario as you described it does actually unfold.

Great minds think alike. I've already posted that on a new thread Td.

Sorry to disappoint you Walster, Harry, but this apparent situation is more complex than just Danny Frawley, as much as you'd like it to be all about him.

According to media reports, Schwab has had a blue with Garry Cameron about club finances, not about Frawley's tenure...so I think you'd better hold fire on that one.

Just on the Frawley thing, I think that, as a director, if you can't support the incumbent coach to see out his contract that you've signed him to, then you have an obligation to resign. The timing is the stupid thing. I mean, what highly credentialled coach is going to even consider coming to Richmond if there's a chance the board might all chuck it in on the eve of ROUND 1, for chrissake?! Answer me that.

Walster said:
Well it seems to me that Casey is running this club the way he sees fit and the board are nothing more than a "paper tiger". Reading between the lines I would say the majority of the board have been over-ruled on Frawleys tenure. If this is the case then something is very rotten at the core of this club. For all you people that argued about keeping Frawley for stability, and the off field setup was now good, I hope you're happy. A few of weeks ago I was really looking forward to this season, now I couldnt give a stuff and probably wont renew my membership next year. I for one have had enough. :mad:

Have to agree Walster, all this change for changes sake that seems to happen every 4-5 years is starting to get old. For all the upheaval, ultimately things are no better than they were 10 years ago. I might have to find a new way to spend my winters.

Dean3 said:
Sorry to disappoint you Walster, Harry, but this apparent situation is more complex than just Danny Frawley, as much as you'd like it to be all about him.

According to media reports, Schwab has had a blue with Garry Cameron about club finances, not about Frawley's tenure...so I think you'd better hold fire on that one.
I'll hold fire Dean but the artillery is still aimed and the troops have itchy trigger fingers. ;)

Dean3 said:

Just on the Frawley thing, I think that, as a director, if you can't support the incumbent coach to see out his contract that you've signed him to, then you have an obligation to resign. The timing is the stupid thing. I mean, what highly credentialled coach is going to even consider coming to Richmond if there's a chance the board might all chuck it in on the eve of ROUND 1, for chrissake?! Answer me that.

The previous articles indicates that it has something to do with Frawley and my comments are based on that.  If thats not the case then I'll pass judgement on the real issues once they are exposed.

If it were about Frawley, I'm not advocating they sack him before r1.  I've stated previously that they need to stick with him for the year while actively seeking a replacement because IMO he is not up to it.  However what would be most disturbing is (as my previous post above outlines) is if the pres and some of the board members that tow his line are sitting on their hands and are content with frawley and are not prepared to seek a suitable and more credentialled replacement.  This would be most disturbing because if we haven't secured a good coach come seasons end and we then decide to sack frawley, then we might end up with a Frawley Mark II, or Geisch Mark III.

I’ve got the same interpretation of Fatprick’s article as Harry and Walster have.

If you believe Fatprick (and as much as I hate him, he does tend to get his facts right) then reading between the lines the article suggests that a number of board members are p*ssed off at Casey for his blind faith and support in Frawley.

Judging by the article, these p*ssed off board members were rail roaded last year into altering Frawley’s contract when the “sack” clause was removed from it. Now, it appears that these same board members have taken Casey’s comments the other week about how RFC will see Frawley’s contract through to the end of the year no matter what, as the last straw. Clearly, they felt RFC should not have been issuing such a guarantee and should have kept its options open to itself.

All of this indicates that these board members have no faith in Frawley what so ever - despite all the rhetoric coming out of RFC to the contrary. They obviously see that Frawley could lead us into a disastrous situation this year and have had a gutful of following Casey’s belligerence on the matter.

If these board members (and going by Fatprick’s statement that 2 more will resign, that then makes a total of 4 of them) believe Frawley is a dud, then you can back it in that a heap of others would also - including the players.

How is this club so downright inept ! ?? How do they make the easy so difficult ? How do they miss the obvious so often ? Geez. Football is not a complex thing. Get a good coach, decent players, and most everything else will take care of itself !!! You could walk in there and do most of what is required to straighten this club up in little over 5 minutes:

1) Sack Frawley and co. replace him with Wallace or Blight or Eade. No bloody first year babies. A man who commands respect immediately and will drive not just the playing group but the culture of the club as well;

2) Get rid of the multitude of hacks that we have and commence a REAL re-building program for once;

3) Sack Greg Beck and replace him with a Scott Clayton or whomever;

4) For once, get a combination of expert business people AND decent football people on that %$%*smile* board.

Done. Within 3-4 years we’ll be back in the top 6 on a regular basis.

And for anyone who thinks the above is easier said than done and thinks that is all just too simplistic, then plese reference McGuire and Collingwood - who were probably in exactly the same position that we are in now just a few years ago, but made each and everyone of the above changes quickly, and turned their club right around in the same.

I wasn't talking about sacking before round 1 either Harry. No coach wants a board implosion just as the season gets underway, that was my point...least of all a coach who needs a good year to secure his future.

On your second point, how can a board, or Greg Miller, or anyone for that matter, go about finding a replacement for Frawley while he is still the senior coach? Especially before the season is even underway? This is why we have a reputation for disposing of coaches — not all have been sacked, but Bartlett, Northey and Geischen have all been white-anted, found out about it during or afterwards and...gone. That is the kind of thinking that has been our problem all along, IMO, the ruthless Richmond thing..the ghost of Graeme Richmond haunting the place and keeping the top coaches well away.
If you were a top coach, or a potential top coach (eg O'Donnell, Wallace, Eade, Harvey etc) — would you bother even turning up to the interview knowing what has gone on down at Punt Rd in our very recent history? Why would you bother?
Sure, if I was a bloke like Frawley (eg Royal, Craig etc) I'd get myself along and present myself well...after all, I'd be desperate for the job and Richmond would be desperate for any application to hit the desk.

I can re-call collingwood did this quite successfully - of course they didn't make it public but while giving T.Shaw support for what eventually became his last year as coach, they were making sure Malthouse was signing on the dotted line. It was all for the best interest of the club.

But what if, after 10 games we are 9 and 1?

Or 13 and 2 after 15? What do you do with the new bloke then?

No, it can't and shouldn't happen until it is clear that we are going nowhere this season. And then it would have to be done with Frawley's knowledge and consent, knowing that his contract would not be renewed. That would be the only ethical way to do it.

Do ethics matter?