GAME DAY !!!! Premiers v Pensioners | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

GAME DAY !!!! Premiers v Pensioners

Rohan is a non contested receiver, he will never be the guy who inspires his teammates with a hurculean act.

He is however one of the best 2-3 finishers in the game and made those long range set shots look easy. In the 2nd quarter Jack Graham has a shot from 50 and gets touched on the line and then goes up the other end to Rohan who kicks from the same distance and makes it look easy. Those things make a difference.

it was one of those nights we should all be familiar with,

miss a few, drop a few, fumbles, every contest is almost,

while the opposition is clean and sticks everything through.

but thankfully, we tend to delete them from our memories,

and express disproportionately negative astonishment when they happen.

But I concede that these nights are running at 25% of the time we play this year,

which is cause for concern.

I just wish the *smile* bookmakers would show some *smile* concern.

Reactions: 1 user
yeah you were good catman.

I haven't so much got egg on my face, as dunked my head in an uncooked army omlette vat.

one of those thrilling nights were your forward 50 crew looked entirely unstoppable.

Jcam was always gonna make you better, its a no brainer.

But im sure you'll agree, you know its you're night when Rohan kick 5.0?

definitely cause for optimism for you though.

I definitely think you are the equal most likely to be defeated in the 2021 grand final
Yeah , i agree eZyT, not only was Rohan kicking 5.0, but even Hawkins was jaggin em from the boundary.

On that i dont think ive seen a full forward at 100kgs have elite field kicking like Hawkins ( on both left and right), anyway i digress, it was a ight out for my lads, dont think we dropped a mark or missed a bounce all night.

Im not sold on us at the moment, it is a,long season, the advantage is there are some absolute crap teams running around.

Re the match, first time in ages ive seen a team out muscle the Tiges, and thats saying something.

Vlastin and Noah wont get pantsed like that again, then ya got grimes to come back in as well.

One more thing ( if i may). i understand the "hate" for Selwood, BUT if he aint one of the hardest b*stards at the ball in his 13 years i would be surprised. Hate him yeah, but he is a champion

Yeah , i agree eZyT, not only was Rohan kicking 5.0, but even Hawkins was jaggin em from the boundary.

On that i dont think ive seen a full forward at 100kgs have elite field kicking like Hawkins ( on both left and right), anyway i digress, it was a ight out for my lads, dont think we dropped a mark or missed a bounce all night.

Im not sold on us at the moment, it is a,long season, the advantage is there are some absolute crap teams running around.

Re the match, first time in ages ive seen a team out muscle the Tiges, and thats saying something.

Vlastin and Noah wont get pantsed like that again, then ya got grimes to come back in as well.

One more thing ( if i may). i understand the "hate" for Selwood, BUT if he aint one of the hardest b*stards at the ball in his 13 years i would be surprised. Hate him yeah, but he is a champion

agree with all that.

In the event we lose someone to injury in September, we need one of these kids to step up and we'll be thankfull that we had the chance to blood them
This is one reason why CCJ must play some games, so he's ready to step in if Nank gets injured.

The other good reason is to see how an extra tall could translate into improved performance both in attack and defence.

Reactions: 3 users
This loss just felt a little different from the others.
Loss to the swans i understand, we coming into the season under done
Loss to Melbourne, fine, we're still building and they are a pretty much playing their best football now.
Geelong is different, we should be level pegging in progress this season. i've watched Geelong get pantsed easily by lower teams.
They've looked old and slow. But some how thye look looked fast against us.
Not a good sign.
Lots of work needs to be done.

Reactions: 1 users
I am not saying you are wrong. I just think on the evidence it is to early to call. I don't like what I saw tonight, or in the Melbourne game, but it is what it is.

Last year the quarters were much shorter and scoring was down in general so you need to take that in to account. We were 1-1-2 after 4 last year, and copped two bad losses to the Hawks and Saints in that. We were then 4-1-3 before we turned it up a bit.

In 2019 we were 7-6 after 13 and copped some real drubbings in that lot.
Difference is the losses to teams this year have been capitulations. Last year against Hawks the final margin was the first quarter difference so we were competitive. Against Saints, they kicked 15-3, could do no wrong but again we were competitive.

My biggest concern is that our defensive pressure has actually been quite strong in our losses, we are turning up the heat to try and counteract, but the better teams are still cutting right through us. Yes we have some great players out but they're predominantly older players and 2 have had a history now of injury. It gets harder and more interrupted the older you get. Only 3 teams have won the flag after being 4 and 4. We're up against it. Next 2 games could break our season. Nervy times.

Reactions: 1 user
Hawkins goals were all in junk time - nothing to worry about Hulk Hogan
Hawkins played a great game. 20 disposals, 7 marks 4 goals, 2 goal assists. The Cameron/Hawkins combination is devastating if allowed to bring it in quickly which Geelong were able to do all night. Their tall combination 42 disposals, 15 marks, 10 goals, 4 goal assists, 31 score assists, 17 contested possies. Ours, 11 disposals, 3 marks, 2 goals, 1 goal assist, 7 score involvements, 5 contested possies. Ouch.

I’ve lost some respect for Selwood over the past few years. I won’t question his commitment and toughness but he has some areas in his game may tarnish his legacy. His never ending complaining to the umpires despite how much they look after him. How did he not get a free kick against him for deliberately bumping Mansell in the head? He drops his knees as soon as he his tackled and tries to bring head high contact. Normally he succeeds and gets away with it. I witnessed at the ground 3 clear throws for which he was not penalised. It is borderline cheating but he is the umpires pet and gets away with it.

Don’t take this as sour grapes catman. Your team destroyed us in the second half and was very impressive. Thoroughly deserved the win. I just hope we can regroup and make a competitive game of it later in the season. But we need our midfield back.

Reactions: 8 users
How about the contrast in the output from the 2 key forwards in each team?

Hawkins and Cameron 42 disposals, 15 marks and 10 goals.

Lynch and Jack 11 disposals, 3 marks and 2 goals.

4 times as many disposals. 5 times as many marks. 5 times as many goals.

Wow. That is really poor from our two. It is a concern that the gap between their best and worst is so massive. Last night they appeared to have very little interest in competing. I’m sure that’s not the case but they were so ineffectual. The style of play doesn’t help but they were not proactive. Basically just stood there and pointed up in the air. Lynch in particular seems more interested in trying to get an easy one heading back to goal instead of working on leading patterns.

Frustrating to watch.

• Love
Reactions: 2 users
I thought the Baker free against him for holding the ball was very fair enough. He was a little unlucky but he basically dragged it in and you’ll get pinned for that 99% of the time.

Don’t get me started on Cheatwood and how he gets protected though. The head high bump on Mansell? Play on! And he deliberately threw the ball on at least 3 occasions that I saw from the stands yet somehow the umpires can’t see it? *smile* *smile*.

Geelong have consistently played their best football May/June most seasons. Trouble is no premiership cups are on offer during that period?

Is Pricky playing mind games with us? They look slow.......or pretending to look slow.
I think Dimma got stooged. They did exactly what Egobourne did to us. Absorbed the early pressure, we lead, we relax a bit and then they step up.

Same same but different. Runners up don't tend to have the celebration period and the motivation tends to be to get back to training earlier to deal with the disappoint of losing. I'll bet you that their guys were back earlier than ours and have more work under their belts.
Not to mention Cameron, Higgins and Smith had their feet up in October.

Loss to the swans i understand, we coming into the season under done
Loss to Melbourne, fine, we're still building and they are a pretty much playing their best football now.
Geelong is different, we should be level pegging in progress this season. i've watched Geelong get pantsed easily by lower teams.
They've looked old and slow. But some how thye look looked fast against us.
Not a good sign.
Lots of work needs to be done.
They play better without Novak, should keep him on the sidelines more.

Had all the usual hallmark for me.

sore throat; snakey wife; empty bottles, headache, broke, minimum chips and four spud cakes somewhere amidst a 24 hour mild depressive episode, obsessive ladder predicting.

• Haha
Reactions: 2 users