Game Day - Rich V Port | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Game Day - Rich V Port

Just listened to Mini’s presser, gotta say I’m not very positive about the rest of the yr . I know it was his first game but he didn’t have a bad thing to say about our performance . He even said Pickett had a good game
Re this ....^^^ personally I feel that they internally they already have conceded this year for finals and their current focus will be on who can cut it and who can't so that they can make list decisions by the end of the year as well as the coaching decisions.

I feel they will NOT be focussing on W&L ratios for the rest of this season.

If we start seeing more of Cumbo, Bauer & Co......and others being omitted/rested/managed, then you will know that this is the case.

They will then re set over the pre season with a new coach/re jigged list and structures.

They will never publicly admit this of course and I could be wrong but listening carefully to Mini's in his presser gives me this distinct impression.

Did Bakes had a brain and double hand transplant with Mr. Fumbles during the week?

Marlion disapointing in the guts, but it aint easy going wing - hff - ruck rover in a month
Pickett looked disengaged, just going through the motions until the end of this season and his contract I feel. He has a few mates who've dropped off too so good test for our coach to get their minds right or back to the VFL. Effort has to be non-negotiable even if finals is not achievable.

Last edited:
Disappointed in Ryan, that’s two weeks of sub standard competitive efforts.

If we could he’d be back to the VFL. But he has to play. 2 disposals, 4 hit outs.

Reactions: 4 users

If we could he’d be back to the VFL. But he has to play. 2 disposals, 4 hit outs.
His efforts are abysmal
He sooks and then drops out from the game. He dosent even contest the balls coming in.

He's a ruck that we barely allowed to ruck today. Not sure whether it was a learning exercise for him as to what he needs to do forward but we need to get him perfecting his one wood and thats his ruck work, not forward work.

He should be sharing ruck duties with Nank like 50/50 not the 10% he was given today. Even in F50 ruck contests Nank was preferred whilst Samson stood in the goal square. He's not an AFL standard key forward right now, if thats where we want to play him then for his development he's probably better doing that in the 2's.

Reactions: 3 users
Conversion of opportunities inside 50, conversion of shots at goal.

Horrendous and cost the game again today along with the languid 1st quarter.

That was not a good Port Side.

Marshall Georgiades and Dixon all out, and they still handled us, only because the Tigers let them.
Don't forget Boak and Jonas (c) out too. Like when we played Sydney - both very depleted teams, but we were still not good enough to take advantage. But umps did a lot of favours for Port today. Really questionable decisions or non-decisions.

Reactions: 1 user
Our 3rd Q look good. Our forward pressure was great. Port struggled to get the ball out.
Was expecting it to continue in the 4th.
It was like we turned off
Probably because we obtained minimal reward on the scoreboard, only 3 goals and they kicked 2. Terrible ball-use and field/goal kicking efficiency overall.
So by Q4 we are burnt out with our crew of older players.

Reactions: 1 users
While Miller was weak in a lot of marking contests his ground work was actually brilliant. Makes you wonder whether we give him a go as a big bodied mid. He is actually very clean with his ground ball pickups and usually uses it to our advantage. Dont think he will ever make it as a KF or ruckman but as that big bodied mid he may be a chance. Work on his tank and go from there.
He certainly has something. He can bamboozle and slow time to make space. It’s weird but I’ve seen him do it in the last 3 games. I haven’t given up on him.

Reactions: 2 users
Pickett looked disengaged, just going through the motions until the end of this season and his contract I feel. He has a few mates who've dropped off too so good test for our coach to get their minds right or back to the VFL. Effort has to be non-negotiable even if finals is not achievable.

He wasnt good,

But dont underestimate being thrown into 3 completely different roles in a month

Theyre not robots

I posted yesterday that he looked like he more time than he did. Thinking it over again and seeing some of the replay there is an element of that but I think part of the issue is the lack of movement and ability to get separation further down the field. He had noone to give it to so often which resulted in hesitation.

I posted yesterday that he looked like he more time than he did. Thinking it over again and seeing some of the replay there is an element of that but I think part of the issue is the lack of movement and ability to get separation further down the field. He had noone to give it to so often which resulted in hesitation.
He wasn't alone. Miller & Sampson just do not have the forward craft to know when to present, where to present etc. We essentially were relying on Jack to make position all the time. Miller has almost no aerial presence. And neither does Sampson at this stage, he is too easily bumped early and struggles to get back in a position to even compete at times. A bit like Mason Cox used to be.

And with Pickett as a marking third tall and a small forward group of Cotch/Graham/Mansell it'sd no surprise we lacked connection.

It's amazing Cumberland could not get a game, and pretty amazing we lose by 10 points to the second placed team.

Reactions: 1 users
Even though still a lot of things to be concerned about, I thought it was pretty good effort by the team as a whole. After the 1st qtr it looked like their pace was going to destroy us. I have no doubt that we’d be having our last dance with Dimma if we had our full compliment of players. Eg Lynch, Hopper, Broad (suspension), Tarrant etc

He wasnt good,

But dont underestimate being thrown into 3 completely different roles in a month

Theyre not robots
Yes that could be be a factor but sometimes he looked like he didn't want to chase and tackle and be involved. I notice he had 17 disposals so thats not so bad i guess. Perhaps he's concerned about being too aggressive and risking being reported? Hopefully the coaches can sort it out and at least put him back on a wing for the rest of the year.

Last edited:
He wasn't alone. Miller & Sampson just do not have the forward craft to know when to present, where to present etc. We essentially were relying on Jack to make position all the time. Miller has almost no aerial presence. And neither does Sampson at this stage, he is too easily bumped early and struggles to get back in a position to even compete at times. A bit like Mason Cox used to be.

And with Pickett as a marking third tall and a small forward group of Cotch/Graham/Mansell it'sd no surprise we lacked connection.

It's amazing Cumberland could not get a game, and pretty amazing we lose by 10 points to the second placed team.
Yes I agree with this but it isn’t just that.

Other teams seem much better than us at creating the short option for a player who has the ball and is under some pressure. So often we are left with no option but the bailout long kick which is why some players hesitate when they have the ball, they don’t want to kick it long and can’t find another option.

Yes I agree with this but it isn’t just that.

Other teams seem much better than us at creating the short option for a player who has the ball and is under some pressure. So often we are left with no option but the bailout long kick which is why some players hesitate when they have the ball, they don’t want to kick it long and can’t find another option.
Yep and that's probably because we have no speedy and hard endurance running forwards (with Cumberland not selected too) along with a probable out-number in our FL too. Similar speedy and hard endurance running mids who get back and also can race forward when we're in possession, are the other avenue to goals without enough quality KPFs. So no surprise that our best mid and runner, TT, kicks 4 and we rely on Bolton so much to score too.

As for actual forwards that are primed and ready for AFL level performance atm, the cupboard is bare of much except potential. But no KPFs as club only likes to draft flankers predominantly. But 2 x VG SFs still kicking goals for the Aints and Csatagna chose to quit pre-sesaon after lists closed, leaving us with a player short! We seemed to have been very 'cavalier' with our SF stocks.

Was Dusty wasted in Q4 not being put into the midfield rather than spending nearly whole Q deep in the FL with ball not even getting down? Also think in this instance it would have been worth shifting Balta to CHF on Allir who was allowed to win the game for them via intercepts and rebounds. Because we had Miller, another big KPP, to go back - PA missing their best KPFs except the young Lord - a job I'm sure he could have managed since he's spent most of his time on our list playing defence.

But your comment is so obviously true. Other teams just run the ball out of defence easily into our F50 but we struggled to transition past the HBF/wing.

Last edited:
Adelaide 47 inside 50s Brisbane 66

Adelaide won the game by 17 points. Inside 50s is just one indicator of a game
Yes true, just 1 indicator, however I still stand by my 22 difference claim. I'd be interested to know how many times a team has won with 22 less inside 50s.

It was 13 inside 50s at qtr time for us to 17 and we were 4 goals down. After qtr time it was 32 to 50. You are never ever going to win a game of footy 4 goals down at quarter time and only 32 inside 50s from then on.

He wasnt good,

Theyre not robots
I'd say his days are numbered when they are throwing him around so much. He's really not a forward or a midfielder. Wing is his position.

He's a ruck that we barely allowed to ruck today. Not sure whether it was a learning exercise for him as to what he needs to do forward but we need to get him perfecting his one wood and thats his ruck work, not forward work.

He should be sharing ruck duties with Nank like 50/50 not the 10% he was given today. Even in F50 ruck contests Nank was preferred whilst Samson stood in the goal square. He's not an AFL standard key forward right now, if thats where we want to play him then for his development he's probably better doing that in the 2's.
Yep, not really sure what the strategy was. Nanks was on his last legs in the final quarter after a great game. Had 23 contested possies, 0 in the last. 22 disposals 2 in the last, 8 tackles 1 in the last, 29 hitouts 5 in the last. Samson didn't get a look in and when he's needed in the last, he's subbed off for a forward where we managed just 8 inside 50s. Hard to understand.

Reactions: 3 users