Potential at Punt Rd | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Potential at Punt Rd

Mr Brightside

Tiger Legend
Jul 1, 2005
Wang
Talent, Desire , Fitness , Health, Game Plan , Stability are all not what they once we’re through our magnificent life changing Dynasty .

However our biggest question right now is that dreaded fictional word Potential, everything from Jono at the top to our once powerhouse 100k Membership ,its all now back as potential, can Jono do a job anywhere near as brilliant as Peggy ? ( wheres the bloody statue) , will the next coach be potentially the next Dimma or Tommy , will the members re join after been giving the ride of a life time ? Will we find away to get he majority of our players fit and firing in round 1 next season ?

Our list has some dead set Stars and some of the finest role players the game has seen , however the only Potential they have now is to all retire in the next 2 seasons , 1/3 of our list is past their Premiership best.

So these are IMHO the potential future Premiership players we have and can be the building blocks for us who can still get better ,I’m not interested in simply playing finals and having team full of handy *smile* role players.

Baker , proven utility
MJ, I’m actually far from convinced , skills are poor at best , if he wasn’t Junior I’d have doubts he’d be there
Hugo, improving, however again poor by foot , huge doubt
Taranto , he’s a star
Balta , he’s good enough to lock in down back , getting better
Hooper , body holds up hes good enough in the rotation
Gibcus , the only young en on our list as I grade as a potential Superstar
Shai , definitely good enough and adding something different to the middle and forward , in saying that midfield super stars don’t go missing like he does
Brown, long way to go, however he potentially could be that attacking weapon of half back we need
Ryan , the Unicorn , can’t see him been an absolute gun, however can see him been very very important to us living our potential, in fact not far from our most important player going forward .
Graham , needs re invention or even potentially we actually use him as a full on tagger
Cumberland, definitely has that unpredictable X factor you need in a dangerous forward line
Sonsie, foot skills , foot skills, foot skills , get the kid in
Banks, taking long nicely on the wing , potentially it’s time to ad a better ball user to our ultra defensive poor kicking wings
Clarke, lot of potential here, kicks goals every time he comes on, that’s not a fluke
Young, potential to be a 3rd tall defender , do we need better ?

So many others cubs with the potential to be good players , however not to many that I see pushing for AA in the future , we definitely need to get some genuine A grade talent over the next couple of seasons otherwise we could be in really trouble potentially

Reactions: 1 users

mrposhman

Tiger Legend
Oct 6, 2013
Talent, Desire , Fitness , Health, Game Plan , Stability are all not what they once we’re through our magnificent life changing Dynasty .

However our biggest question right now is that dreaded fictional word Potential, everything from Jono at the top to our once powerhouse 100k Membership ,its all now back as potential, can Jono do a job anywhere near as brilliant as Peggy ? ( wheres the bloody statue) , will the next coach be potentially the next Dimma or Tommy , will the members re join after been giving the ride of a life time ? Will we find away to get he majority of our players fit and firing in round 1 next season ?

Our list has some dead set Stars and some of the finest role players the game has seen , however the only Potential they have now is to all retire in the next 2 seasons , 1/3 of our list is past their Premiership best.

So these are IMHO the potential future Premiership players we have and can be the building blocks for us who can still get better ,I’m not interested in simply playing finals and having team full of handy *smile* role players.

Baker , proven utility
MJ, I’m actually far from convinced , skills are poor at best , if he wasn’t Junior I’d have doubts he’d be there
Hugo, improving, however again poor by foot , huge doubt
Taranto , he’s a star
Balta , he’s good enough to lock in down back , getting better
Hooper , body holds up hes good enough in the rotation
Gibcus , the only young en on our list as I grade as a potential Superstar
Shai , definitely good enough and adding something different to the middle and forward , in saying that midfield super stars don’t go missing like he does
Brown, long way to go, however he potentially could be that attacking weapon of half back we need
Ryan , the Unicorn , can’t see him been an absolute gun, however can see him been very very important to us living our potential, in fact not far from our most important player going forward .
Graham , needs re invention or even potentially we actually use him as a full on tagger
Cumberland, definitely has that unpredictable X factor you need in a dangerous forward line
Sonsie, foot skills , foot skills, foot skills , get the kid in
Banks, taking long nicely on the wing , potentially it’s time to ad a better ball user to our ultra defensive poor kicking wings
Clarke, lot of potential here, kicks goals every time he comes on, that’s not a fluke
Young, potential to be a 3rd tall defender , do we need better ?

So many others cubs with the potential to be good players , however not to many that I see pushing for AA in the future , we definitely need to get some genuine A grade talent over the next couple of seasons otherwise we could be in really trouble potentially

Good list but you've missed the Prince Dan Rioli off that list.

I look at our list 26/27 and under and its not far off. As I've said on another thread, our clear issue is in the forward line.

Defence - Balta, Gibcus, Young, Rioli, Baker are all locks. Potential in Hugo and Brown mainly
Midfield - Taranto, Bolton, Hopper, Graham, Short (could be HB too) are all locks. Potential in Sonsie, Banks, Clarke, Ross
Ruck - Potential in Ryan, Miller a decent backup. Potential in Biggy too
Forward - No locks in the 1st team. Potential in MRJ, Mansell, Cumbo

Total unknowns really in Bradke, Bauer, Green, Smith, Campbell.
Dow and Colina are busts

I think we have a good base, I'm certainly in the glass half full side. The backs and mids have a core there that could win a premiership (Balta, Gibcus, Rioli, Baker, Taranto, Bolton etc) but we certainly need to add around the edges and the forward line is a distinct weakness both on paper, and when we watch the games. We fall down when going inside 50 and as above, there isn't a lot coming through where we have specific potential. Bradke and Bauer you never know but they are long shots.

I think the base of the team is there, that if we can get a gameplan that clicks and we add to our forward line then you never know. The competition is so close right now, and with a few additions (Lynch and Himmelberg would be a great start) then we can reset very quickly in my eyes.

Personally if we were to go after 3 players in the offseason, Himmelberg (FA), Jordan (FA) and Flanders (2nd / 3rd) then I think they will help to accelerate our reset. I don't think there is any need for a rebuild but we need a really good off season this year both from a list management perspective but also from a fitness perspective.

Reactions: 5 users

Mr Brightside

Tiger Legend
Jul 1, 2005
Wang
MrP I certainly have DRioli in our best 22 going forward , not sure he’ll get better but his best is definitely good enough.

I disagree re Miller.

Cant see any point in going forward with both Mansell and MJ in the forward line

mrposhman

Tiger Legend
Oct 6, 2013
MrP I certainly have DRioli in our best 22 going forward , not sure he’ll get better but his best is definitely good enough.

I disagree re Miller
I wouldn't have Miller in the first team but he's a decent squad backup to have for defence / ruck.

spook

Kick the f*ckin' goal
Jun 18, 2007
Melbourne
Personally if we were to go after 3 players in the offseason, Himmelberg (FA), Jordan (FA) and Flanders (2nd / 3rd) then I think they will help to accelerate our reset. I don't think there is any need for a rebuild but we need a really good off season this year both from a list management perspective but also from a fitness perspective.
Surprised Jordon has previously been delisted, a handy type. Flanders I'm not sure you'd get that cheaply but not sure he's worth any more.

mrposhman

Tiger Legend
Oct 6, 2013
Surprised Jordon has previously been delisted, a handy type. Flanders I'm not sure you'd get that cheaply but not sure he's worth any more.

Yeah I was surprised on Jordan too. Only 22. Excellent gut runner, decent kick, hard at it. Good prototype for a wingman.

Flanders is out of contract, not first team and was a Pick 11. I can't see how he is worth more than a 2nd rounder. If we think Caddy would be around the GC pick in the 1st round. I could see us rapping all that sort of stuff in together. Trade our F1 for the GC 1st this year, and trade our 2nd for Flanders. Maybe some picks around the side but would be a good option for us.

If we were to also sign Jordan and Himmelber its not a bad addition of talent in 1 off season. Caddy, Himmelberg, Jordan and Flanders.

Things could turn around very quickly with an aggressive off season.

Reactions: 1 user

momentai

Tiger Legend
Jul 24, 2004
Melb
I wouldn't have Miller in the first team but he's a decent squad backup to have for defence / ruck.
Miller has certainly been a slow burner.
But he has been consistent in showing that he does have skill and a footy brain.

As we all have observed he just hasn’t done enough. Talls take time. All is not lost by a long shot.

Little Ziggyadee

Tiger Legend
Dec 30, 2021
My wrap up.
*Sony, might have good kicking ability but there's still another 3 things he needs stamina, ball winning ability and defence. He has none of those 3. No tackles playing on the half back line isn't good enough in the last 2's game against Essendon..
*Gibcus pulls a regulation hammy and now is on the verge of missing the entire season. What an awful preseason the club had.
*Rioli wouldn't survive being delisted at years end if his name was Smith. Not enough tricks to play the small goal kicking small.
*Ralphsmith. Pass delist
*Graham not built for this 2023 version of AFL you need to run and you need to run fast. Trade option.
*Brown underwhelming 1st rounder yet to to debut.
*Bauer was playing a Gunstan type forward role and playing it well and then some Einstein moved him to the back line, yet to play.
*Clarke Not bad but dime a dozen footballer. Couldve used pick 28 on a tall.
*Ryan, just not strong enough in the contest. Shows alot of Vickery type traits goods hands, kicks well for a tall but sidesteps body contact.
*Miller, I've always liked Miller, he just needs to know he belongs.
*Banks yet to play.
*Dow should be best 22 now but he isn't. We will gone at years end.
*Brackte yet to play but with all reports not ready for afl.

Overall not much in the cupboard.
If a club wants Dusty and they gave us a top 10 pick (even if we had to pay some of his wage), so be it. I would now do it.

Last edited:

momentai

Tiger Legend
Jul 24, 2004
Melb
Talking of players we might target, what has happened to Hollands of the Suns.
Not shown as injured so I presume he is playing in their reserves, which if true seems something of a waste.

mrposhman

Tiger Legend
Oct 6, 2013
If a club wanted Dusty and they gave us a top 10 pick even if we had to pay some of his wage, so be it. I would now do it.

We should consider everything. If say GC finished just outside finals, and went after Dimma, then their 1st rounder and we pay some salary next year would probably suit both clubs when you take emotion out of the decision.

mrposhman

Tiger Legend
Oct 6, 2013
Talking of players we might target, what has happened to Hollands of the Suns.
Not shown as injured so I presume he is playing in their reserves, which if true seems something of a waste.

Playing in their 2's. A bit up and down, not smashing the VFL as you'd probably expect, but I don't know what position he is playing. As a HF thats ok (but then he isn't impacting the scoreboard), as mid he's not smashing the guts out of it like Flanders is for them.

1685328457492.png

momentai

Tiger Legend
Jul 24, 2004
Melb
Loved him as a junior. Great size.
Much time spent injured.
Happy to see him get a fresh start at Punt road.
Ditto Flanders.

Danjam

Tiger Cub
Oct 16, 2022
Yeah I was surprised on Jordan too. Only 22. Excellent gut runner, decent kick, hard at it. Good prototype for a wingman.

Flanders is out of contract, not first team and was a Pick 11. I can't see how he is worth more than a 2nd rounder. If we think Caddy would be around the GC pick in the 1st round. I could see us rapping all that sort of stuff in together. Trade our F1 for the GC 1st this year, and trade our 2nd for Flanders. Maybe some picks around the side but would be a good option for us.

If we were to also sign Jordan and Himmelber its not a bad addition of talent in 1 off season. Caddy, Himmelberg, Jordan and Flanders.

Things could turn around very quickly with an aggressive off season.
Dusty or Graham packaged in that deal could help.

daniel30

Tiger Superstar
Jun 14, 2010
For me get games into our kids this year club needs to forget about finals let's see who makes it and who doesn't. We are wasting time going to the same well on certain players.

Last edited: