Game Day - Richmond vs Brisbane - QF 2020 | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Game Day - Richmond vs Brisbane - QF 2020

Number8

Tiger Superstar
Oct 12, 2010
Melbourne
I was thinking about this yesterday. Who will Burchall play on?

It's got me beat. Their backline is as slow as treacle.

Gardiner + Andrews = Riewoldt + resting ruck (Nankervis / Chol)
Bailey = Aarts?
Ah Chee = Castagna?
Rich = Martin
Lester = Lambert?
Burchall = does odd jobs as the seventh defender?

Who goes to Rioli?

One or more of our smalls needs to (and I think will) seriously get off the chain.

Starcevich is the other defender who can't really play elsewhere.

Makes me think they're a bit unbalanced and we might see a late out... a defender for perhaps Ellis-Yolman?

CarnTheTiges

This is a REAL tiger
Mar 8, 2004
Victoria
I was thinking about this yesterday. Who will Burchall play on?

It's got me beat. Their backline is as slow as treacle.

Gardiner + Andrews = Riewoldt + resting ruck (Nankervis / Chol)
Bailey = Aarts?
Ah Chee = Castagna?
Rich = Martin
Lester = Lambert?
Burchall = does odd jobs as the seventh defender?

Who goes to Rioli?

One or more of our smalls needs to (and I think will) seriously get off the chain.

Starcevich is the other defender who can't really play elsewhere.

Makes me think they're a bit unbalanced and we might see a late out... a defender for perhaps Ellis-Yolman?
Leon Cameron is still trying to figure out who was on Rioli in the GF. Fagan will probably have the same issue.

• Haha
Reactions: 1 users

Mr Brightside

Tiger Legend
Jul 1, 2005
Wang
As a sky is falling chicken hawk type ,our forward half worries me a fraction without Lynch . Lynch may not have beaten Andrews , however I don’t think Andrews would have beaten Lynch so we would have had plenty of ground balls for our crumbers

BrisTiger24

Out: Chimp In: Camel
Oct 16, 2003
Brisbane
As a sky is falling chicken hawk type ,our forward half worries me a fraction without Lynch . Lynch may not have beaten Andrews , however I don’t think Andrews would have beaten Lynch so we would have had plenty of ground balls for our crumbers

Its why Mabs is important. Whoever he goes to has to play the decoy role. Cant let him intercept. Bring ball to ground at all costs or get him out of the way.

Let's also remember Andrews hammy is hanging on by a thread. Need to run him around with burst pace.

Reactions: 5 users

Sintiger

Tiger Legend
Aug 11, 2010
Camberwell
I am nervously confident
yeah, that describes me as well.

I keep on thinking that Brisbane has to beat us at some point and we just keep on beating them and I have that feeling again.

What is very clear from the quotes from inside the Lions camp this week is that they are going to be intent on slowing us down. I don't think that they believe that if the game is fast and frenetic they can win.

kiwitiger

Go the AllBlacks, the Storm , and the Tigers.
Jul 28, 2004
Nerves kicking in now ,

I believe if we play to our best we win ,

But if we are off by a bit we open the door for them

TrialByVideo

HailBGale!
Mar 1, 2015
I am nervously confident
Same here..... when I'm at the G, and it's close at half time, I exit and do a lap... calms the nerves and I don't have to listen to whoever can shout the loudest over the P.A..!
Glad the curfew is over.... Won't have to put up with the 1/2 time garbage on 7...!

ToraToraTora

Two outta three ain't bad.
Mar 21, 2005
QLD
We are not going to bomb it long to Jack v Andrews guys we ain't that stupid. Lots of movement lots of pressure.

Ice

Tiger Superstar
Jul 18, 2006
i am no expert on dew points, but as far as i can tell we are close to dew forming on the grass now.

i believe when the air temperature fall below the dew point, dew forms. right now the dew point is 18.1 deg and air temp is 21.5 and falling

i know the air temp is forecast to drop to 17.5 by game start....

Reactions: 1 user

artball

labels are for canned food
Jul 30, 2013
anyway ... here we go ... Tiges by a lazy 4 goals ...
got my lucky socks on , so no problems ..

Reactions: 5 users

daniel30

Tiger Superstar
Jun 14, 2010
You look at our inns to from rd 10 last game there is atleast half dozen premiership players and we have gone up a gear to.Play a solid 4 qtrs we win this.

waiting

Tiger Legend
Apr 15, 2007
Victoria
I’m going with my new way of doing things.

Going to watch the game and come on here after the game and post my thoughts.

Whoever is going enjoy the game and barrack loud. Make a lot of noise. Tiger army strong no matter what the numbers. We tend to have good support in Qld and hope this continues tonight.

I’m too nervous.
Im pumped.
I really can’t wait.
Under two hours to go.

Till we meet again . Later.

Last edited:
Reactions: 9 users

fastin bulbous

Tiger Champion
Mar 30, 2010
Darwin

"Whoever wins the flag this year will obviously have delivered on the field, and they will have had to be the most disciplined, resilient, deep, competitive, mentally tough team off the field. It will be an unbelievable premiership to win" - AFL chief executive Gillon McLachlan on the AFL season restart
When Gillon McLachlan predicted that this COVID-interrupted premiership would be won by the "most disciplined" team, he would not have envisaged that, upon entering the final series, the team to beat would have been beset with a succession of embarrassing incidents.
They've had players finding hell - via kebabs and a stoush - in Surfers Paradise. They've had the skipper threatening to sail home and reported renovation issues within the Gold Coast hub. They've been guilty of juvenile locker room antics - the grabbing of a player's genitals. And their coach lost his composure when enraged by media criticism of his players.
Jack Riewoldt separates Richmond's brand from their culture, both of which have come under fire this season. 's brand from their culture, both of which have come under fire this season.

But whatever travails the Richmond Football Club has inflicted upon themselves this season in the bubble, they've defied McLachlan's formula for winning in a time of COVID-19.

On Friday night, they meet Brisbane at the Gabba, without their key forward, on the opposition's deck. Yet, the whole pre-game discussion of the Brisbane Lions is whether they can surmount Richmond, a Himalayan obstacle for a home team that hasn't beaten the Tigers since 2009.
One of the questions of Richmond's season was whether they would maintain the rage to succeed, whether they would bear the burden, pay the - heftier - price that comes with a sequestered season.

One reading of Richmond's tumultuous season is that the series of indiscretions - particularly the embarrassing 3.30am incident that saw Sydney Stack and Callum Coleman-Jones sent home - might have actually served the purpose of sharpening the team's collective resolve; that far from unravelling them, it bound them more tightly.
"I suppose there's kind of two things that happen when something like that, a mistake or an incident, happens," said defender Dylan Grimes.

"For us, it really galvanises us as a group. I think we've seen in the past that may form a wedge in culture but, for us, it almost tightens us up."
Jack Riewoldt, Richmond's most visible and forthright leader, had this succinct summary of how the Tigers were dented, yet invigorated by the incidents: "The brand has been really hurt, and people question our culture. But the culture is how we have and how we will bounce back from indiscretions."
Riewoldt separates "brand" of the club from the club's "culture", making it clear the culture is self-correcting and that the team's resolve to succeed will prevail.
Dylan Grimes has weighed in on Richmond's winning season versus off-field antics. 's winning season versus off-field antics.

Grimes said that one of Damien Hardwick's strengths was his ability to deal with issues - no matter what they are - swiftly and move on to the next game.

"He's so quick at addressing it and nipping it in the bud straight away and then it's full focus on the future. He did that with the other incidents as well and as a club we learn from them," he said.
Conversely, if the winning continues, what ultimate lesson will be gleaned from those mistakes?Here's a feted and highly successful team, who've been living away from home, away in a bubble, suffering outbreaks of hubris and ill-discipline, who are seen as entitled and are becoming resented by sections of the public, in part because they just keep winning.

We've seen this before. Not so much Hawthorn of 2015, when Luke Hodge was booked for drink driving before the finals. Not the Collingwood rat pack of 2010, who were blessed to reside in a world with fewer CCTV cameras and iPhones. Nor even the Eagles in 2005 and 2006, who outran public opprobrium until the music stopped.
No, the team that Richmond of 2020 seems to be channelling right now is one that their board member and ex-Cricket Australia CEO Mal Speed knows well: the Australian cricket team in a time of (Steve and Mark) Waugh.

Dustin Martin and his Tigers team mates celebrate winning in round 17.

Damien Fleming, the affable Australian Test swing bowler, cricket commentator and avid AFL follower (Hawthorn), noted the parallel between the Australian teams that spent months away and the hub-dwelling Tigers, and that his team had a tendency to have "blow outs" - a euphemism for off-field excesses that came with this long period isolated together.
"It's part and parcel of being in a bubble," said Fleming, who felt that performing on the field could also be an escape or "release" from whatever issues a team experienced on the road.
A senior official from a rival club likened Richmond to Fleming's friend and his team's greatest and most strife-prone player, Shane Warne. Winning, or performance, aren't necessarily tethered to discipline off the field.
Experienced Tigers know winning tastes better than losing. Like the Australian cricketers that emerged from the nadir of the '80s, Richmond have a craving for victory that was unfulfilled for a decade. Trent Cotchin, who should reach game 250 during the finals, won 46 per cent of the time in his first 125 games and 66 per cent of the time in his past 122.

"Cotchin and Riewoldt remind me a lot of Steve Waugh. They know what it's like not to be a dynasty - you've got to make the most of it when you're up," Fleming said.
Waugh's Test baptism had been in the recession of the mid '80s, when Lillee, Chappell and Marsh had been retired, but not yet replaced.
And the Richmond that's mucked up in the hub is also the virtuous club that has Bachar Houli reaching millions with his poignant message about his mother and the need for COVID-19 safety, the same club that has the highest band of Reconciliation Action Plan (RAP), is led by a female president and drafted the overlooked Stack and Marlion Pickett.

"We don't speak often of the good things that we do, whether that be outside of the club or inside of it," Cotchin said.

What they do know is history will be written by the winners, and that whatever dents they've taken, it is the name engraved on the premiership cup that will be remembered, not the blemishes.
Having played with a team that was similarly tested and seldom bested, Fleming suspects they will be hard to beat: "They've got inner belief that they can win from anywhere."

Thanks for posting- the point that jumps out at me most is GILL WAS WRONG....AGAIN!!! :banana

Reactions: 3 users

bairdy380

Beer friend me good...
Dec 9, 2004
If we roll up thinking it’s done, we will get rolled badly

mrposhman

Tiger Legend
Oct 6, 2013
yeah, that describes me as well.

I keep on thinking that Brisbane has to beat us at some point and we just keep on beating them and I have that feeling again.

What is very clear from the quotes from inside the Lions camp this week is that they are going to be intent on slowing us down. I don't think that they believe that if the game is fast and frenetic they can win.

They will absolutely try and slow it down and try to play the game like the 1st quarter last year. Its just that if they do that they will continually get crap looks at goal, much like the 1st quarter last year. They didn't kick poorly in the 1st quarter, but were either kicking snaps or shots from the boundary, for their 4.6. I suspect that will continue tonight.

They won't be able to keep speed out of it for the whole game, at some point we will get on top but we need to ensure that we score heavily when we do.