Game Day - Richmond vs Brisbane - QF 2020 | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Game Day - Richmond vs Brisbane - QF 2020

Andrews was jogging around spoiling and intercepting at will. His hammy wasn't tested.

Think we went too conservative with lynch. Should have just parked him in the goal square to at least make andrews accountable. Chol provided very little to test him.

Reactions: 4 users
It is what it is. im more pissed that they only appeared to look at one lot of footage of the lions goal when Floss was certain he had touched it.
Not sure what angles the arc had, but on ch7 they only showed one angle from the opposite side of the ground.

• Angry
Reactions: 1 users
Andrews was jogging around spoiling and intercepting at will. His hammy wasn't tested.

Think we went too conservative with lynch. Should have just parked him in the goal square to at least make andrews accountable. Chol provided very little to test him.
Yeah I was thinking the same.

The bears rolled the dice with Andrews and he killed us.

We went conservative with Lynch and Jack paid the price

Reactions: 1 users
That was a bit of an imperfect storm.

Didnt score hard in dominant periods

Umps *smile* us where it counted

Lack of continuity; dion sheds dave bachar; hurt us

Good players down

Plus lions brought 4 qrts of pressure and kicked straight.

However, i feel a bit sorry for footscray, st kilda and port

Reactions: 2 users
Dunstall has more faith in the Tiges than some of you guys on here and he bloody hates us.
Are u referring to any commentary from Dunstall this evening? If so what were his thoughts re: the tiges showing?

Bolton knew it hit the post as well. I was stunned when he hardly reacted to what would have been easily the best goal of the year.

It's a game of millimetres. If that's a goal then we are less than a goal down with momentum.
No. Still a goal and a half if he kicks it and a couple of minutes later we got another to bring it to 8 points. They they got one.

No-one to blame but ourselves.

Very winnable game and missed opportunities and ill discipline has cost us.

I fear we will look back on this game in time as being on the same level as the 2018 preliminary in costing us a shot at a premiership.

.disagree...the scoreboard flattered us...
.similar to 2018 as in same dreadful selection errors...
.sorry but ur assertion that playing all of asto presti nank houli edwards was no probs cos they werent injured pays no respect to the value of match fitness...same crap finals selection mistake essentially.
.presti & asto (1 game after major layoffs between them) were liabilities, asto return compromising balta again
.the broad ban needs to be explained, chol's preference mystifying, our lack of leg speed criminal given our height differential
.any thought ever as to helping jack?..nank resting next to while chol rucks or balta down there?....no moves!
.we were cooked for speed & height options at half time..dusty knew it.

Reactions: 3 users
Can't believe people having a go at Graham. He was fantastic tonight and ran all night. Other mids let us down.

People need to stop looking at Balta as a ruckman. Kid needs to stay in the backline as could become one of the most dominant defenders in the game. Leave him there to learn the craft. If we start switching him around then you can guarantee confidence and form will go out the window. Is our full back for the next 6-7 years.
I think tonight we should have tried Dave up forward with Lynch out.
I'd like to see Markov taking Houlis spot. Houli is cooked for mine and should definitely not be in our team next year.
Caddy is too much of a risk coming into a final with his recent injury form.
George and Aarts cannot play in the same team as they are the exact same player. Georges pressure has disappeared and without it he is a suburban footballer.
Rioli needs to stay in the 50. Once he gets outside the 50 he makes some really dumb decisions. Inside 50 he is still deadly.
Need some fresh legs in the middle with Sheds and Dion coming back in. Ross for Pickett but that could make us a little too slow.
Ruck is the biggest issue we need to overcome. We just need a big body in there that can provide a contest. Is Miller worth a crack?
Reckon it might just get too much for the Tiges this year with all these hubs and bubbles. A lot of senior players didn't even want to make the trip initially so not sure how much fight we have left this year.

Reactions: 3 users
Jack Ross must have been mystified watching that game.

Don't like losing finals, not fun at all.

There was a lot in that game that deserves comment.

We have played a great brand of running, charging football over the last few years. We rebound brilliantly off the half back and run it forward before the other team gets the chance to respond. One of the common responses from teams who do not flood has been to chip the ball around. Chipping the ball around doesn't work. What Brisbane did tonight was quite the opposite. They ran through the lines, they played on from half back, but what they also did was to disturb and pressure our run off half back, which worked.

So, tactically the Lions played a good game.

Part of the reason it worked was that we were not at our best. If we are at our best you have to match our play which few can do. Not convinced they would succeed in implementing such a game plan if we are playing well. But, too many passengers tonight. Still, far better strategy than most have tried.

Bombing it into 50 is very frustrating. But, as TBR explained a few weeks ago it is the percentage thing to do unless you have a free option a bit further out, or are running it forward with handpasses or short kicks to free players. A turnover or even just not getting possession is less dangerous when we are closer to our own goal. That said, way too many kicks into the forward line were kick and hope. Too many were to the advantage of the Brisbane backs and that is no way to play Brisbane when they have such good intercept marking players. We need to find more of a happy medium there, kick long but to an even contest or a contest to our advantage. This was especially bad early in the second quarter when we dominated and did not score enough.

The back line has looked disorganised with Astbury back. No way I want to see all that time training Balta into a great defender put to waste. Work needs to be done on clearly defining the roles in our defence. I would think Balta CHB with Astbury and Grimes on the last line. Possibly even Balta and Astbury swapping who is in the last line and who is further up. Defensive coaches need to really work on this in a big hurry. The structure looks off at the moment. Depends a bit on who you are playing too, Balta off the leash would be good - but off the leash means intercepting, running in front of marking duels with his height.

Also thought our structure was missing tonight. Saw a lot of the time Brisbane could mark in their backline and switch play. Normally we don't give the opposition that option, tonight they got it out of defence way too easily. They chpped it across the ground and got out, we don't normally let that happen. Something wrong there, Pickett and KMac on the wings didn't seem to be in the right places tonight.

The umpiring was woeful. Didn't cost us the game, but didn't help. Brisbane clearly got free kicks way easier than we did. The 50/50 calls went their way and were play on for us. Still woefully inconsistent and clearly well below the level we should expect especially in finals. I saw a Brisbane player throw the ball about 30m out from our goal, play on. A Richmond player not in possession of the ball taps it to a team mate, free to Brisbane. Unacceptable but just normal it seems. The standard of umpiring clearly needs to improve.

Chol out next week? I supported keeping him in for structure. I thought he competed ok in some ruck duels and was having a go. But that might be the worst criticism. He was having a go and not good enough. I will be surprised if he is on our list next year. We have put a lot of years into his development and it just ain't happening.

Lynch back next week will be welcome. I supported playing an out of sorts Dusty in the prelim in 2018. A prelim is cut-throat. No next week. You have to throw the dice. A qualifying final is the only final where you can't be eliminated. Imagine if we played Lynch, who, remember, has never done a hammy before so has no experience of this, and he pulled his hammy badly, out for the rest of the year. Being cautious with Lynch was the right thing to do, but geez he would have been so handy tonight.

We are in the same position we were in before this game, we need to win 3 to win the flag.

Go Tiges, we lost a final but we're not out of it.

DS

Reactions: 13 users
Credit to Brisbane. They really brought it tonight and beat us at our own game. They were harder for longer and deserved to win. They dominated us late in the second quarter and held sway from then until midway through the last quarter.

We saw the same issues tonight we've seen with our play in many games this year. Periods of dominance with no scoreboard influence. We were killing them in the first half of the second quarter but only scored on goal. When the tide turned they capitalised and got the break that proved game defining. We really need to sort that issue out. It hasn't hurt us against *smile* teams like Freo, GC and Essendon but it hurt us tonight; basically cost us the game.

Our forward line was a nightmare. Riewoldt was one out against three in nearly every contest and Chol was just hopeless. I was so worried about his selection and it came to fruition. He is insipid and I'd rather not see him play for us again. Aarts was horrible; good season to now but no passengers in finals. He doesn't have the credits to survive that performance. Rioli kicked 2 goals but is a momentum killer. First instinct now is to stop and wait and look away from our goals. By the time he moves it on there are 15 oppo defenders standing in our goal square. George what can you say? He has been terrible most of the year but Dimma will never drop him so no use talking about it. That said our much vaunted forward pressure has dropped off a cliff this year. Ball comes out of there too easily.

Backline is out of sorts with Dave back. Not sure what to do there; I wouldn't be against dropping him and bringing Broad back. Not because Dave is playing badly but the backline functioned better before he came back.

Midfield meh. They were great in the first quarter and a half but dropped away. Prestia not too bad in his first game back and will hopefully better for the run. But 2nd up blues is a concern and Shedda suffered those tonight. Bolton was horrible and undisciplined. Two 50m penalties is unforgiveable and both lead to goals. That is significant in a 15 point game. Wouldn't surprise me if he was made to pay at selection. Dimma would be fuming; still I think he'll survive and be told in no uncertain terms to make amends next week. Macca was pretty good but Pickett is skating on thin ice; his kicking is awful.

So now we do it the hard way. We haven't played 2nd week of finals in 19 years. Saints smacked us early in the year and Dogs have recently had the wood over us apart from this year. We beat them easily but Naughton always gives us trouble and he didn't play. Neither will be easy and we will need to play a lot better than tonight.

Last edited:
No. Still a goal and a half if he kicks it and a couple of minutes later we got another to bring it to 8 points. They they got one.
Yeah cheers JB I didn't think that sounded right that we got within a goal. I should have known when I asked my wife and she said it would have put us within a kick :mhihi

The ruck situation next week will depend on our opponent. Dogs 2nd ruck is Dunkley, so no need to play Chol against them.
Saints are bigger in the ruck department, so maybe a different approach against them.
Couldn't understand our propensity to try little dinky kicks at times tonight. We have never done that before. Lynch will bring our smalls into the game. Chol and Reiwoldt couldn't bring the ball to ground enough. Looking forward to knocking off Port in Adelaide (I know we have to get there). Will have to win by 5 goals in real terms as we can expect a right royal shafting from the umps there!

Don't like losing finals, not fun at all.

There was a lot in that game that deserves comment.

We have played a great brand of running, charging football over the last few years. We rebound brilliantly off the half back and run it forward before the other team gets the chance to respond. One of the common responses from teams who do not flood has been to chip the ball around. Chipping the ball around doesn't work. What Brisbane did tonight was quite the opposite. They ran through the lines, they played on from half back, but what they also did was to disturb and pressure our run off half back, which worked.

So, tactically the Lions played a good game.

Part of the reason it worked was that we were not at our best. If we are at our best you have to match our play which few can do. Not convinced they would succeed in implementing such a game plan if we are playing well. But, too many passengers tonight. Still, far better strategy than most have tried.

Bombing it into 50 is very frustrating. But, as TBR explained a few weeks ago it is the percentage thing to do unless you have a free option a bit further out, or are running it forward with handpasses or short kicks to free players. A turnover or even just not getting possession is less dangerous when we are closer to our own goal. That said, way too many kicks into the forward line were kick and hope. Too many were to the advantage of the Brisbane backs and that is no way to play Brisbane when they have such good intercept marking players. We need to find more of a happy medium there, kick long but to an even contest or a contest to our advantage. This was especially bad early in the second quarter when we dominated and did not score enough.

The back line has looked disorganised with Astbury back. No way I want to see all that time training Balta into a great defender put to waste. Work needs to be done on clearly defining the roles in our defence. I would think Balta CHB with Astbury and Grimes on the last line. Possibly even Balta and Astbury swapping who is in the last line and who is further up. Defensive coaches need to really work on this in a big hurry. The structure looks off at the moment. Depends a bit on who you are playing too, Balta off the leash would be good - but off the leash means intercepting, running in front of marking duels with his height.

Also thought our structure was missing tonight. Saw a lot of the time Brisbane could mark in their backline and switch play. Normally we don't give the opposition that option, tonight they got it out of defence way too easily. They chpped it across the ground and got out, we don't normally let that happen. Something wrong there, Pickett and KMac on the wings didn't seem to be in the right places tonight.

The umpiring was woeful. Didn't cost us the game, but didn't help. Brisbane clearly got free kicks way easier than we did. The 50/50 calls went their way and were play on for us. Still woefully inconsistent and clearly well below the level we should expect especially in finals. I saw a Brisbane player throw the ball about 30m out from our goal, play on. A Richmond player not in possession of the ball taps it to a team mate, free to Brisbane. Unacceptable but just normal it seems. The standard of umpiring clearly needs to improve.

Chol out next week? I supported keeping him in for structure. I thought he competed ok in some ruck duels and was having a go. But that might be the worst criticism. He was having a go and not good enough. I will be surprised if he is on our list next year. We have put a lot of years into his development and it just ain't happening.

Lynch back next week will be welcome. I supported playing an out of sorts Dusty in the prelim in 2018. A prelim is cut-throat. No next week. You have to throw the dice. A qualifying final is the only final where you can't be eliminated. Imagine if we played Lynch, who, remember, has never done a hammy before so has no experience of this, and he pulled his hammy badly, out for the rest of the year. Being cautious with Lynch was the right thing to do, but geez he would have been so handy tonight.

We are in the same position we were in before this game, we need to win 3 to win the flag.

Go Tiges, we lost a final but we're not out of it.

DS

Good post D3S.

I agree our defense has looked shambolic with DTLD back.

Continuity is King

Furthermore, you try not to put 2 bulls in one paddock

Reactions: 1 user

Andrews wasn't tested because he was playing on Chol. Chol hardly moves.

Reactions: 2 users
They tried hard to bait Dimma there on the Umpiring, very well handled in the presser

So why don't the bloody reporters comment on the umpiring instead of expecting a coach to put their neck out?

The commentary did not mention the inconsistencies at all. The journos can call out bad umpiring with no problems, a coach can't. Why don't they report what they see?

5 goals from free kicks to half time, that is bloody outrageous.

DS