Game Day - Tigers v Saints | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Game Day - Tigers v Saints

We will make next Thursday game like the Port away game of last year, especially if Caddy, Astbury and Martin miss.

we will click, just not sure when

You make it sound so easy Big Richo.
I can’t see how we can just flick the switch. This is the worst brand of football we are playing for over 3 years.

The problem is we aren't setting up to play the style that we are seeing. You are seeing it as we have changed our style, thats not what I see and not what Dimma is saying. They are not coaching the players to play the way we have played the last 3 games, ongoing and repetitive skill errors are resulting in what we are getting. I've been banging on about it since the Saints game but mentioned it after last week too, but our skill errors are what is causing issues with our gameplan. Our game is built on 1 of 2 things, 1 win the clearance, handball chain to break out of the stoppage and generally play the long handball forward to our runners (such as Lambert) who then take the ball forward, either continuing the chain or kicking inside 50 to a leading target.; 2 pressure the opposition into turnover by foot.

2 - we aren't doing this too badly, though a couple of our intercepting players lowered their colours yesterday but did a good job against the Hawks.

1 - We are struggling to do this, this is resulting in a double whammy, when we do win the clearance because our skill error with the handball has been so bad, it invites more pressure into the contest and we are forced into rushing the ball forward - the old bomb forward - and this is turned over. Not only does this hurt us going forward but it also results in easy marks for the opposition defenders in our F50 that it then results in our smalls becoming obsolete and enabling them to rebound. Saints did this really well and the Hawks did so too. We have been scored heavily against on turnover the last 2 weeks.

I don't think we are a million miles away, but we need this to click and we need it to happen quickly. We are only 1 win outside of the 8 so its not a disaster yet but we need to get to round 10 at least level on the win / loss column (we might be ok with 4.5 wins and 5 losses potentially).

Reactions: 1 users
We will make next Thursday game like the Port away game of last year, especially if Caddy, Astbury and Martin miss.

we will click, just not sure when

Not so much a click I reckon, as a build up.

There were signs of more energy this week but, as mrposhman has pointed out, the skill errors let us down.

Some way to go but we have a lot of improvement, and a little bit of time.

Let's hope the timing is right.

DS

Yeah dropping big names like Prestia, Lambert, Stack would be a good message. Time to earn your keep. The Premierships are history. Nice to look back on, not something that keeps gifting games.

That’s how you will reinstall the hunger back into the playing squad. No name is too big.
All our mids are unfit and not as fast as last year. Not getting up and back quick enough, not running forward to receive the ball. No confidence in a tiger getting it so why run forward! System shot to bits.

Reactions: 1 user
Can’t see where our next win will come from.
Even Adelaide and Freo are looking forward to playing us.

The Crows will be beside emselves if they beat us .............................even if we are a cluster F and still going like busteds !!!

That was not good.

I think the effort was better this week. We weren't massively outnumbered at the contest this week like we were against Hawthorn last week but still not enough run. Also, not saying much to say the effort was better than last week, it still was not good enough.

The skills were woeful. So many handballs to the feet or on the bounce to team mates it was ridiculous. So many kicks out of half back which went straight to a StKilda player.

Where were the small forwards, seemed to be everywhere the ball wasn't. The small forwards have been missing in action since the restart.

What's with the lack of options? When we had no-one to kick to last year there would be someone running past to get a handball and players streaming down the ground so we could go froward. Now, players are in a tight spot, or they have marked the ball, and there is no support.

Rucks: I know the quarters are shorter and another ruck means we don't play a running player, but, 1 ruck is so demonstrably not working it just isn't funny. We have to have 2 in the ruck. Nank is obviously in as he did well today considering. We have choices for a second ruck: Balta, CCJ, Chol (5 goals in the scratch match) and Soldo. 1 ruck is not working, end of story.

A long way to go and although we looked a little better this week the rate of improvement is too slow.

Will be a chance against the Weagles next week but only because they have been so bad. We really really need to use next week's game to play ourselves into some form, otherwise 2020 is over.

DS

One last comment: we don't have Foxtel so were watching via Kayo on a trial account. Streaming to a computer and HDMI to the TV. Absolute garbage. The whole game was jittery, barely any flow to the video. If this is what Kayo offer it is not worth bothering, would prefer to listen on the radio. The 19th century NBN doesn't help but it was coming down at over 2MB/s so not our internet connection. Analogue TV is so superior to this technology it just isn't funny, digital TV is also fine, streaming is useless.
Streaming to a computer bc you don't have a smart TV? If so that's why the reception is poor but an expensive fix!

Looked like Dave grabbed his kneecap so I wonder if he felt some instability in it? Hope not, he missed a lot of games early in his career with kneecap dislocation.

The problem is we aren't setting up to play the style that we are seeing. You are seeing it as we have changed our style, thats not what I see and not what Dimma is saying. They are not coaching the players to play the way we have played the last 3 games, ongoing and repetitive skill errors are resulting in what we are getting. I've been banging on about it since the Saints game but mentioned it after last week too, but our skill errors are what is causing issues with our gameplan. Our game is built on 1 of 2 things, 1 win the clearance, handball chain to break out of the stoppage and generally play the long handball forward to our runners (such as Lambert) who then take the ball forward, either continuing the chain or kicking inside 50 to a leading target.; 2 pressure the opposition into turnover by foot.

2 - we aren't doing this too badly, though a couple of our intercepting players lowered their colours yesterday but did a good job against the Hawks.

1 - We are struggling to do this, this is resulting in a double whammy, when we do win the clearance because our skill error with the handball has been so bad, it invites more pressure into the contest and we are forced into rushing the ball forward - the old bomb forward - and this is turned over. Not only does this hurt us going forward but it also results in easy marks for the opposition defenders in our F50 that it then results in our smalls becoming obsolete and enabling them to rebound. Saints did this really well and the Hawks did so too. We have been scored heavily against on turnover the last 2 weeks.

I don't think we are a million miles away, but we need this to click and we need it to happen quickly. We are only 1 win outside of the 8 so its not a disaster yet but we need to get to round 10 at least level on the win / loss column (we might be ok with 4.5 wins and 5 losses potentially).
Smart analysis Mr P.
1 explains why link players such as Lambo are totally MIA. He runs into position 20m ahead of the ball at the end of the chain but the missed handball means Lambo is nowhere near it. We dont see on the tele that he has made the right position.
Prestia too.

BUT we also have really struggled for run from deep in the backline. Not making the loose man at all. This isnt the poor disposal issue

Looked like Dave grabbed his kneecap so I wonder if he felt some instability in it? Hope not, he missed a lot of games early in his career with kneecap dislocation.

That was in 2010.

Let him rest till next year.
Knowing Hardwick he will be the first one selected.

Smart analysis Mr P.
1 explains why link players such as Lambo are totally MIA. He runs into position 20m ahead of the ball at the end of the chain but the missed handball means Lambo is nowhere near it. We dont see on the tele that he has made the right position.
Prestia too.

BUT we also have really struggled for run from deep in the backline. Not making the loose man at all. This isnt the poor disposal issue

We were certainly weaker in the defensive half against the Saints but the week before our defenders were easily our best.

Our gameplan is a territory gameplan, we use our muscle to move forward from stoppages and this condenses play enabling us to set up behind play, we force a rushed kick forward, we intercept and we get a repeat 50. We haven't been able to do that as we have been rushing it forward, not bringing the ball to ground and therefore they get to setup and break quicker. Our small forwards can't get into the game, they can't lock the ball inside 50 and therefore we can't setup defensively and then get caught out on the spread.

Those missed handballs and lack of being able to use our 1 wood properly certainly weakens us defensively. Our offence is our first line of defence, if that doesn't work the whole defensive system breaks down.

Reactions: 2 users
I think it pays to remember the old adage that things are never as good or as bad as they seem.

The difference in our performance is a whole lot of small margins; a poor structure here, a missed handball there, a player 2% off here, another 3% off there.

When you analysis the variations in performance at AFL level , generally the best conclusion you can draw is it relies heavily on mental intangibles like 'attitude' and 'confidence'.

Those things can be hard to correct and easy to correct, but it's a nice base to have when you already know you can achieve success at your best.

At the end of the day though, after all this group of players has one for us as supporters, surely the least we owe them is the confidence to back them to turn their season around at this point in the year.

It shows just how close the competition is, not surprising given this is a professional competition.

1% off here, 2% off there and you are not competitive and all the system and structure fails to work.

Those last couple of percent can be hard to get back but signs are they are getting closer.

Tigermike: yep streaming through a computer, we do have a smart tv but haven't loaded Kayo because we would barely use it, was using a friend's 14 day free account. I have avoided paying for TV (although my partner now has Netflix) and normally would go to the pub if a game I can't get to is not on FTA.

DS

We were certainly weaker in the defensive half against the Saints but the week before our defenders were easily our best.

Our gameplan is a territory gameplan, we use our muscle to move forward from stoppages and this condenses play enabling us to set up behind play, we force a rushed kick forward, we intercept and we get a repeat 50. We haven't been able to do that as we have been rushing it forward, not bringing the ball to ground and therefore they get to setup and break quicker. Our small forwards can't get into the game, they can't lock the ball inside 50 and therefore we can't setup defensively and then get caught out on the spread.

Those missed handballs and lack of being able to use our 1 wood properly certainly weakens us defensively. Our offence is our first line of defence, if that doesn't work the whole defensive system breaks down.
I've read this a few times and it sounds good but I think I need a whiteboard diagram to assist! Probably just me.

Don't tease mate.
He should've been wearing a Stkilda jumper.
He was hopeless..

He wasn't great but was still one of our best, that's how bad we're going. Just don't think he's going to get dropped as OP suggested.