Short quarters | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Short quarters

yandb

Tiger Champion
Mar 24, 2004
The AFL are sneaking their changes in while the corona virus is distracting the public.

16.5 mins per quarter is a joke, there is no justification for shortening the quarters.

Might just cancel my foxtel subscription.

Reactions: 2 users

Quickdraw

End of the drought
Jun 8, 2013
The AFL are sneaking their changes in while the corona virus is distracting the public.

16.5 mins per quarter is a joke, there is no justification for shortening the quarters.

No different to any other change they've made recently. No justification, just a harebrained idea.

snags

Tiger Superstar
Oct 28, 2005
I hear ya. They're taking the *smile*. Woosha was licking his chops considering only 2 players had a full preseason. I guess we can now kamikaze 100% all game.

Reactions: 1 users

CarnTheTiges

This is a REAL tiger
Mar 8, 2004
Victoria
I understand shortening the season, but not the rationale behind shortening the game itself. People around the game keep saying this will happen, it’s inevitable apparently, but no one can explain why.

btoz_01

Tiger Legend
Apr 5, 2004
Isn’t this what Clangerfield and other players were pushing for all up 20 minute quarters ?
Theyre just far too precious for 20minutes + time on.
It’s just the AFL trying to stop us winning anymore :cupgold

TigerMasochist

Walks softly carries a big stick.
Jul 13, 2003
I understand shortening the season, but not the rationale behind shortening the game itself. People around the game keep saying this will happen, it’s inevitable apparently, but no one can explain why.
Because humans are no longer capable of being amused and entertained for any more than about five minutes without needing to switch online for other amusing distractions. Two hour match with a couple of rest intervals is just waaaayyyy to long, condense the game to a few minutes of blitzkrieg n do away with all the boring stuff and everybody will be hyper.

Reactions: 1 user

Dev Tiger

Tiger Superstar
Mar 15, 2014
What possible justification is there for shortening the quarters?

CarnTheTiges

This is a REAL tiger
Mar 8, 2004
Victoria
Because humans are no longer capable of being amused and entertained for any more than about five minutes without needing to switch online for other amusing distractions. Two hour match with a couple of rest intervals is just waaaayyyy to long, condense the game to a few minutes of blitzkrieg n do away with all the boring stuff and everybody will be hyper.
But that was AFLX and much to Gil’s disappointment, no one liked that.

tigerhalsey

RICHOOOO What A Mark!!
Jul 28, 2007
Melbourne
LOL shorter games means less goals which means less ads, isnt this the opposite of what they want. Some seriously stupid people in charge at AFL HQ

• Haha

CraigDykes

Tiger Cub
Mar 19, 2014
Pretty sure that the thinking of reducing game time is to lessen the impact and fatigue on players so that they can potentially play more than 1 game a week. The AFL have in mind if need be playing 3 games within the space of 2 weeks I believe was reported.

Reactions: 3 users

zippadeee

Tiger Legend
Oct 8, 2004

They should play 3 minute qtrs.

Rfc4Ever

Tiger Legend
Oct 5, 2007
16 minute quarters plus time on.

Why? What does the qtr length have to do with anything?

Also, the length of the season should only have been changed as a contingency if it ended up being suspended for a period during the year.

Not sure what either makes a difference with the current situation.

What a joke.

eddazol

Tiger Superstar
Sep 22, 2014
16 minute quarters plus time on.

Why? What does the qtr length have to do with anything?

Also, the length of the season should only have been changed as a contingency if it ended up being suspended for a period during the year.

Not sure what either makes a difference with the current situation.

What a joke.
Will cost us percentage against the blues

snags

Tiger Superstar
Oct 28, 2005
I have no problem with the 17 games it means everyone gets to play everyone once, rather than some clubs getting Gold Coast twice etc
You'll be pissed though if you get away games against all the interstate clubs and Geelong, every year! Percentage will be super important.

TigerPort

Tiger Champion
Jun 29, 2006
NSW
Pretty sure that the thinking of reducing game time is to lessen the impact and fatigue on players so that they can potentially play more than 1 game a week. The AFL have in mind if need be playing 3 games within the space of 2 weeks I believe was reported.

Would it also have anything to do with the recommended 2 hour limit exposure in group settings?