Game Day - Tigers V Suns | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Game Day - Tigers V Suns

Changes for mine

Lynch for Koschitzke
Nank for Ryan
Ross for Banks
Martin for Naismith

Naismith done an okay job but we looked much better with Balta playing ruck/forward. Dow on notice also with McAuliffe breathing down his neck, would want to show more than what he did yesterday.

Reactions: 2 users
Yesterday was frustrating, but in the clear light of day you look for the positives and there was some.

- 2nd half was much better. They only scored 7 times (3.4) with 2 goals aided by the umps / Grimes with that 50m penalty and the rushed behind.
- Seth Campbell
- Josh Gibcus
- Vlastuin is back
- Maurices game
- A lot of our better players had poor games, Taranto, Shai etc
- We get 3 big players back on Thursday

I'm actually not as deflated as I was yesterday. The 1st half was an aberration and was essentially a training drill at times particularly coming out of the centre bounce. We need to focus on the positives of the 2nd half and push forward.

Reactions: 8 users
Also need to consider that no other coach in the competition knows our players like Hardwick does. He would have planned match ups with this intimate knowledge . And he knows better than anyone how to exploit our weaknesses. Despite this knowledge, and our terrible, terrible start, we came back hard in the second half. And our come back was sparked by Balta, MRJ, Campbell and Ross. Not Cotchin, Prestia and Riewoldt. No flags this year but we are in for a ride watching the younger brigade.

Reactions: 9 users
It can only have been good for the players tanks to get a run around like that in the heat yesterday. We will be fitter for it.
I missed the game so only watched the second half back, and liked what I saw in the 3rd.
Picket and MJR made some great statements to will the team back into it. Was great to see MJR retaliate with good, smart footy rather than try to do too much out of frustration and get lost at sea. I actually loved his game (from what I saw of it)
Sounds like the midfield didn't have a great run for us which is disappointing, but Hopper took it upon himself to kick some clutch goals.
Dow will take some time to be able to display his distributing on a weekly basis, he obviously still has downsides defensively and that appeared to be on show yesterday and if he's not getting to the ball first he doesn't really seem to do much. I think that will change as more is required of him and he learns what to do without ball at AFL level.
Yze has promised the fans that at the very least the players are going to show up every week and be hard to play against, some of the players need to be reminded of that this week.
Still going into this year just optimistic about seeing signs from the group we take forward into the next coupla years, and not too worried about the outcome. It took GWS a while to consolidate their playing under kingsley, I think we can see some shoots this year.
Win or lose next week Im just wrapped to see dusty run around in the yellow and black this year. We've been so blessed to watch this guy in our colours and just having him out there is good for morale.

Reactions: 1 users
After one game FFS? Needs games on the wing at the top level. We can't be dropping kids after one *smile* game, we will go nowhere.
Doesn’t have the innate pressure skills in congestion.
Also gets pushed off the ball too easily.
Obviously that will improve with pre seasons and maturity.
But Banks, along with Judson, are the poster children for the wrong types Matthew Clarke has favoured over his tenure.
Not possessing the right physical attributes for the demanding game of AFL.

Reactions: 1 user
Doesn’t have the innate pressure skills in congestion.
Also gets pushed off the ball too easily.
Obviously that will improve with pre seasons and maturity.
But Banks, along with Judson, are the poster children for the wrong types Matthew Clarke has favoured over his tenure.
Not possessing the right physical attributes for the demanding game of AFL.
Banks yes, Judson no.

Matt Clarke's poster potatoes are RCD, Higlet, Will Martyn, Thomson Dow.

You're not allowed to touch the Kings. They're fragile. And anointed.
Imagine how many goals Jack would have kicked if he had the same protection from the umpires.

There was one free I think in the last quarter where King put his hands up and as soon as he did the umpire blew the whistle. Joke.

Biggest red flag is the disparity in uncontested marks. Kick to kick is what we really labour with. As said many times this is not a quick fix.
Brown, Smith, Clarke..these types that can hit a target have to be fast tracked. Whether they’re good enough or not is another matter but we’ve got to inject better foot skills into our team.

Reactions: 9 users
Well we’re going to finish low down on the ladder so what’s the point in continuing to play older guys who aren’t even in our top 10-15 players?
The trouble is that they still are the best we've got!

You're not allowed to touch the Kings. They're fragile. And anointed.
Ben King did go missing in the third quarter, when we turned up the heat, and got a cheapie in the last quarter.
Soft as baby *smile*.
Glad he committed to the Suns.

Yesterday was frustrating, but in the clear light of day you look for the positives and there was some.

- 2nd half was much better. They only scored 7 times (3.4) with 2 goals aided by the umps / Grimes with that 50m penalty and the rushed behind.
- Seth Campbell
- Josh Gibcus
- Vlastuin is back
- Maurices game
- A lot of our better players had poor games, Taranto, Shai etc
- We get 3 big players back on Thursday

I'm actually not as deflated as I was yesterday. The 1st half was an aberration and was essentially a training drill at times particularly coming out of the centre bounce. We need to focus on the positives of the 2nd half and push forward.
Gibcus was poor early. I want to see more intensity. King kicked an easy goal at one stage by going goal side after a scrap and Gibcus was just watching the contest.
He clearly has talent and could end up a gun, hopefully he learns a lot from the outing. Posters expecting him to take the opposition key forward (personally thought it was crazy he started on King) are expecting too much.

Gibcus was poor early. I want to see more intensity. King kicked an easy goal at one stage by going goal side after a scrap and Gibcus was just watching the contest.
He clearly has talent and could end up a gun, hopefully he learns a lot from the outing. Posters expecting him to take the opposition key forward (personally thought it was crazy he started on King) are expecting too much.

I'm pretty sure they said Young started on King. I think the one you mention for Gibcus, he was a bit out of position but I think he lost the ball in the sun, but agree he was poor early, but to be fair the way the ball moved into our D50 in the 1st half, we could have had Rance, Scarlett and Silvagni in their primes and we still would have looked all at sea in defence. Once the mids started putting pressure on their mids and the ball didn't come in so clean, I thought he did pretty well.

Reactions: 3 users
23 rd game. A year off. The players around him today cannot cover for him like they did in 2022.
biggest issue with Gibcus might be keeping him when he hits free agency.

Gold Coast and Melbourne the only two teams we haven’t beaten since the 20 flag. And i would rate our chances of beating Dee’s before Suns.

Ben King did go missing in the third quarter, when we turned up the heat, and got a cheapie in the last quarter.
Soft as baby *smile*.
Glad he committed to the Suns.
Didn’t get down there much. Sort of like saying our fwds were to blame for the 1st half capitulation. (Though they didn’t help)

highest Gold Coast Carrera non Collingwood crowd.
though don’t judge it by the empty seats after half time.

Don't believe it.

There were red seats everywhere. Even in the 1st/2nd quarters

Commentators, coaches, players all regularly mentioning the sell out.

Players even mentioning it in post match interviews. 🤔

Didn’t get down there much. Sort of like saying our fwds were to blame for the 1st half capitulation. (Though they didn’t help)
I don't disagree, but he's very stay at home. Most of his goals were from 30 m or so. He doesn't work up the ground at all.