Game Day - Tigers V Suns | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Game Day - Tigers V Suns

Also need to consider that no other coach in the competition knows our players like Hardwick does. He would have planned match ups with this intimate knowledge . And he knows better than anyone how to exploit our weaknesses. Despite this knowledge, and our terrible, terrible start, we came back hard in the second half. And our come back was sparked by Balta, MRJ, Campbell and Ross. Not Cotchin, Prestia and Riewoldt. No flags this year but we are in for a ride watching the younger brigade.
Didn’t see much from Flea, Richo or KB either. Good signs.

For this rubbish Ground Zero where the AholeFL wants to pump $$$$ into 2 states who know eff all about Aussie Rules, why place us as a non-finalist Vic team in these 4 games????
The AfL almost got its Quaddie but the old codger will get a please explain on Mondey

• Haha
Reactions: 1 user
I don't disagree, but he's very stay at home. Most of his goals were from 30 m or so. He doesn't work up the ground at all.
I would refer that to coach Hardwick. May not be asked to do that. But I’ve already exceeded my annual quota of comments about the Suns game plan.

Agree with the Banks bust calls.
No physical presence.
No discernible attributes.
What does he offer?
Watch the 1st goal for Gc.
It's his bulkshitt attempt to tackle that caused the out number that turned into goal for GC.
He was hopless. A man down

We played with -4
Samson
Banks
Kosi
Dow

The trouble is that they still are the best we've got!
Can’t know that until we actually give younger guys a go for an extended time. Ross was good on the wing last year, put him back there for McIntosh

Can’t know that until we actually give younger guys a go for an extended time. Ross was good on the wing last year, put him back there for McIntosh
No. You must earn the right to play in the 1s. Anything else leads to mediocrity.

• Love
Nothing but a poor performance in my eyes , in saying that I’m not all doom and gloom about the list position.

A few thoughts/ concerns , most of our better players are past their peak .

Tall forwards , huge concern , can totally understand the idea of Balta forward with the lack of quality besides Lynch . However I think he’s a clear better backman then Young , imho he’s a back half weapon , so I’d still like to lock in Balta and Gibcus as our key backs , then if we need another key back young plays there otherwise re invent . I’d like too see Ryan given a go with Lynch as the 2 big forwards , in saying that Ryan is becoming a concern , gets pushed of ball to easily , has to get on the bike more an launch at ball , get some easy frees through arm chops . Think I’d rather use Kozi as a wingman second ruck.

Like the fact Ooooze tried something different when things were poor , however who got in is ear to play Pickett forward , that was one of the worst persisted ideas last year that never worked . Rowell is a bull , we appeared to try everything to slow him up which was encouraging, however bottom line we couldn’t slow him up at all.

I like Shai forward too , however when the middle is clearly lacking pace why take our quickest out of there ?

Seth Campbell definitely a positive

Hope some cubs earn/demand spots early , not sure I saw anything new or creative from Ooze at this point , especially considering we had a *smile* year last year.

Plenty of time for things to improve

Reactions: 3 users
Don't believe it.

There were red seats everywhere. Even in the 1st/2nd quarters

Commentators, coaches, players all regularly mentioning the sell out.

Players even mentioning it in post match interviews. 🤔
Some peanut on Fox said that the empty seats were Richmond supporters who went home early

The MRP just can't resist finding a money making problem with one of our players and Noah was the one chosen this time. Mind you I am surprised Picket got away with the perfectly legal crunch tackle
Posted in the wrong section. Finger trouble!

Some peanut on Fox said that the empty seats were Richmond supporters who went home early
Yep down to Surfers and Orchid and Cavill avenue for a consolation Kebab and some lapdances to make the trip worthwhile.

• Love
Reactions: 1 users
I saw more Suns fans leave early then Richmond fans. There was quite an exodus with about 15 minutes to go.

The Suns were a side waiting for a half decent coach. They had 12 first round draft picks, we had 6.

We still have something as a team. Hammered collingwood for one quarter (but shocking conversion) and then same to the suns. Only two quarters in eight but there is a ray of light that I am grasping. Generation change and will be bumps but Yze knows something that is clear from those two quarters. A big watch for me - but may take a few games to put in enough good to override the bad of the team in transition.

Reactions: 1 users
I'm pretty sure they said Young started on King. I think the one you mention for Gibcus, he was a bit out of position but I think he lost the ball in the sun, but agree he was poor early, but to be fair the way the ball moved into our D50 in the 1st half, we could have had Rance, Scarlett and Silvagni in their primes and we still would have looked all at sea in defence. Once the mids started putting pressure on their mids and the ball didn't come in so clean, I thought he did pretty well.
Gibcus started on King and was moved after the first 2 goals. He then lost his next contest to Lucocious I think.

He should not be on Curnow next week, nor McKay. He is not ready for those jobs yet. Get him as the 3rd tall defender and he can use his leap to advantage.

Have had time to reassess the game again. One of the things I do appreciate on footy forums like BF and PRE we can all have our say without (more times than not) being ridiculed. Saw today on FB some of the tiger pages many coming down on people who have posted some form of criticism. Geez it ain't all rainbows constructive criticism shouldn't be frowned upon.

So just some thoughts, and love to hear what others think.

Gibbo after one year out we'll cut him some slack. As the game progressed, I thought he did ok but in the first quarter to allow a meter distance between him and king was not a good look, He Had to get body on him and then push off when the ball approached, easy pickings for king. If Rutten is backline coach ffs its your job to teach Gibbo to play tighter.

Young for all his supposed one-on-one in contests looked way out of sorts. Needs to offer more when the ball hits the ground, literally stopped every time and did not chase. This should be a non-negotiable.

The club has picked way too many half-bank flanker types and neglected key backs and forwards well at least Bauer and Fawcett look likely youngsters but are not power forwards.

We have Young and Gibcus taking the reigns both are more 2nd to 3rd main backmen, due to Balta being moved forward. That's on you, Matt Clarke.
So these two are going to line up on Curnow and McKay.

Yze who I was rapt to get as our coach and as many have said need to give him time. That may be true but as supporters we still want to see change, different things implemented. Did Dimma email him the team sheet for RD 0, mostly the same bar Naismith, Kosi and Campbell.

When Yze was chosen I wanted a clean sweep of dimmas assistants. Teague and Rutten had to go. Some of the selections have their fingerprints on them. Ross as a sub. Banks in when his preseason was nothing to write home about. Grimes also but I guess insurance for Gibbo and Young. Junior in (thought he took his chance) but based on preseason he shouldn't have been picked. Tresize is tough can play half-back, and wing but we stuck with the same names Pickett and Macca and Banks who had stints last year. Ryan I guess as insurance for Naismith if he broke down, Miller would've been a better choice as he's mobile enough to get around the ground.

The game plan albeit RD 1 looks the same as last year, putrid. Either the changes were so minimal that it's now reverted back or the players can't execute.
Where is the run and carry? Where's the dare to go through the corridor? bar dan rioli no one else. Played too much on the flanks, we dont switch play and open up the fat side. This comes back to the coaches, what the heck have they been doing all summer?

Pressure more times than not wins games. GC ramped it up against us and won. The Blues turned it on in the 2nd half based on pressure and won V Lions.
GWS were frenetic with their pressure and won v the pies.

At the ground more noticeable in the first half which Dimma knows our players back to front. So much so when the usual suspects more times than not only know one way and that is to bomb out of the back line,. short, grimes, broad and vlustuin made it so easy for the GC to win the ball and rebound, why? because they had 3-4 extra players when we bombed out. Dimma knows the players and 99% of the way we play.

I could be wrong but I believe Rutten has the backs and hasn't changed anything to this constant bombing. Teague has the forwards or ball movement and the connection going into fwd 50 was terrible.

Geelong dees, Pies, lions etc have players stationed near the boundary when their backs are in a trouble situation they kick wide knowing someone will be there (an outlet kick). I didnt see us doing that. Dees do that all the time.

Most posters have been saying we are too paced in the midfield and it showed as Taranto, Hopper, and Prestia were always half a meter behind their GC counterparts this due to Yze wanting to play Bolton more forward which leaves Dow and Baker as players who have some speed. Ross is not fast but more agile and can move better than taranto, hopper and prestia. But he starts as the sub :mad:

Much rather Bolton start midfield and rotate forward. Likely 3 of Campbell, Cumberland, Junior, Clarke, Sonsie, Coulthard, Green, and Mansell can play more that small forward role.

Starting midfield should be Taranto, Dusty, and Bolton. 2nd midline consists of Hopper, Dow/ McAuliffe and Ross/Prestia.
Must have some injection of speed in the mix. Baker to half back. Graham, I'm not sure where he fits.

Wings I'd push Short to one wing and Clarke to the other as we have about 8 small forwards who can't fit into 2-3 spots.

This was not a good coaching debut by Yze, 6 months to get the boys up and they flopped. I dearly hope that come RD 1 he makes a fool out of me for this post but many of us saw some warning signs that things didn't look all that different to 2023 in the praccy games.

Not a RD 1 team but a team hopefully we get to as it looks more balanced with youth, experience and speed.

B: Gibcus Young Broad
HB: Baker Vlustuin Rioli
C: Clarke Taranto Short
HF: Campbell Balta (2nd ruck) Sonsie/Mansell
F: Cumbo Lynch Junior/Coulthard
R: Nank, Martin, Bolton
Interchange/Sub: Brown/Tresize 7th defender, Prestia, Graham, Ross, Hopper, McAuliffe, Dow

Notable absentees, Pickett, Macca and Grimes
^ If the club wants to get Pickett to 100 games then sure he's a possible interchange or sub

* Im not a Mansell fan but the coaches going by preseason reckon he'll come in.
**Speed/run on every line. Baker, Rioli, Clarke, Short, Campbell, Mansell. Cumbo, Junior, Bolton, McAuliffe, Dow,

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
Have had time to reassess the game again. One of the things I do appreciate on footy forums like BF and PRE we can all have our say without (more times than not) being ridiculed. Saw today on FB some of the tiger pages many coming down on people who have posted some form of criticism. Geez it ain't all rainbows constructive criticism shouldn't be frowned upon.

So just some thoughts, and love to hear what others think.

Gibbo after one year out we'll cut him some slack. As the game progressed, I thought he did ok but in the first quarter to allow a meter distance between him and king was not a good look, He Had to get body on him and then push off when the ball approached, easy pickings for king. If Rutten is backline coach ffs its your job to teach Gibbo to play tighter.

Young for all his supposed one-on-one in contests looked way out of sorts. Needs to offer more when the ball hits the ground, literally stopped every time and did not chase. This should be a non-negotiable.

The club has picked way too many half-bank flanker types and neglected key backs and forwards well at least Bauer and Fawcett look likely youngsters but are not power forwards.

We have Young and Gibcus taking the reigns both are more 2nd to 3rd main backmen, due to Balta being moved forward. That's on you, Matt Clarke.
So these two are going to line up on Curnow and McKay.

Yze who I was rapt to get as our coach and as many have said need to give him time. That may be true but as supporters we still want to see change, different things implemented. Did Dimma email him the team sheet for RD 0, mostly the same bar Naismith, Kosi and Campbell.

When Yze was chosen I wanted a clean sweep of dimmas assistants. Teague and Rutten had to go. Some of the selections have their fingerprints on them. Ross as a sub. Banks in when his preseason was nothing to write home about. Grimes also but I guess insurance for Gibbo and Young. Junior in (thought he took his chance) but based on preseason he shouldn't have been picked. Tresize is tough can play half-back, and wing but we stuck with the same names Pickett and Macca and Banks who had stints last year. Ryan I guess as insurance for Naismith if he broke down, Miller would've been a better choice as he's mobile enough to get around the ground.

The game plan albeit RD 1 looks the same as last year, putrid. Either the changes were so minimal that it's now reverted back or the players can't execute.
Where is the run and carry? Where's the dare to go through the corridor? bar dan rioli no one else. Played too much on the flanks, we dont switch play and open up the fat side. This comes back to the coaches, what the heck have they been doing all summer?

Pressure more times than not wins games. GC ramped it up against us and won. The Blues turned it on in the 2nd half based on pressure and won V Lions.
GWS were frenetic with their pressure and won v the pies.

At the ground more noticeable in the first half which Dimma knows our players back to front. So much so when the usual suspects more times than not only know one way and that is to bomb out of the back line,. short, grimes, broad and vlustuin made it so easy for the GC to win the ball and rebound, why? because they had 3-4 extra players when we bombed out. Dimma knows the players and 99% of the way we play.

I could be wrong but I believe Rutten has the backs and hasn't changed anything to this constant bombing. Teague has the forwards or ball movement and the connection going into fwd 50 was terrible.

Geelong dees, Pies, lions etc have players stationed near the boundary when their backs are in a trouble situation they kick wide knowing someone will be there (an outlet kick). I didnt see us doing that. Dees do that all the time.

Most posters have been saying we are too paced in the midfield and it showed as Taranto, Hopper, and Prestia were always half a meter behind their GC counterparts this due to Yze wanting to play Bolton more forward which leaves Dow and Baker as players who have some speed. Ross is not fast but more agile and can move better than taranto, hopper and prestia. But he starts as the sub :mad:

Much rather Bolton start midfield and rotate forward. Likely 3 of Campbell, Cumberland, Junior, Clarke, Sonsie, Coulthard, Green, and Mansell can play more that small forward role.

Starting midfield should be Taranto, Dusty, and Bolton. 2nd midline consists of Hopper, Dow/ McAuliffe and Ross/Prestia.
Must have some injection of speed in the mix. Baker to half back. Graham, I'm not sure where he fits.

Wings I'd push Short to one wing and Clarke to the other as we have about 8 small forwards who can't fit into 2-3 spots.

This was not a good coaching debut by Yze, 6 months to get the boys up and they flopped. I dearly hope that come RD 2 he makes a fool out of me for this post but many of us saw some warning signs that things didn't look all that different to 2023 in the praccy games.

Not a RD 1 team but a team hopefully we get to as it looks more balanced with youth, experience and speed.

B: Gibcus Young Broad
HB: Baker Vlustuin Rioli
C: Clarke Taranto Short
HF: Campbell Balta (2nd ruck) Sonsie/Mansell
F: Cumbo Lynch Junior/Coulthard
R: Nank, Martin, Bolton
Interchange/Sub: Brown/Tresize 7th defender, Prestia, Graham, Ross, Hopper, McAuliffe, Dow

Notable absentees, Pickett, Macca and Grimes

* Im not a Mansell fan but the coaches going by preseason reckon he'll come in.
**Speed/run on every line. Baker, Rioli, Clarke, Short, Campbell, Mansell. Cumbo, Junior, Bolton, McAuliffe, Dow,
Can someone tag Yze in this.